[Flashback] Magic, gods style! (Clyde)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Bob Barton on July 11th, 2011, 3:36 pm

35th day of Winter 505

The fresh snow covered the traces from the previous lessons. The ground was covered with the cold, white stuff covering the glyphs and damage from the previous week. Bob was shivering from the cold and the anticipation of the next lesson. Gods magic...that has to be powerful stuff and the sooner Clyde came the better, Bob could use the warmth of his fire on this cold day. A thought came to him that he would not have to suffer like this if he had chosen fire instead of water.

What would water do now? Wait, snow melts into water right? So Bob focused like Clyde taught him last week, trying to attract the the snow into his hand. It took a few minutes trying to get the solid and mold it together but when he was done, there was a nice dry spot for him to sit on. His back hurt a little having to bend down to hover his hand over the spot he needed but at least it works. With a giant ball of snow now needing to be held on both hands, Bob fully transmuted the res core into water melting the snowball from the inside. Sitting on the now dry ground while leading on the free comfortably, Bob enjoyed his refreshing beverage while waiting for Clyde.
Last edited by Bob Barton on November 1st, 2011, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 12th, 2011, 5:04 am

Going along, Clyde looked for where he had met Bob last week. When he had last seen Bob, the man had been a bit delusional, and had been seeing things, most likely from overgiving. Now though the surrounding area was covered in a blanket of snow, which was keeping even more people inside. Grabbing a dryish branch here and there, he had a decent but of firewood by the time he got to Bob.

As he walked he used a bit of fire reimancy to heat up the wood, and a bit of vapor rose off the wood as the water left over in it rose out of it. When he got there, he saw Bob lying, on a dry spot. Handling the wood, he motioned for Bob to move over a bit.

"Here, let me put this wood on the dry spot you have there. I will start a fire to warm us up, which should help to melt some of this snow."

Assuming Bob moved over, Clyde would drop the wood, and making a small ball of res in his mouth, then leaning down, he breathed fire out slowly in a steady stream to light the wood aflame. In a few moments there would be a good fire going, bringing warmth and life back into his fingertips, and Bobs.

Smiling, he looked up at Bob. "So, how have you been? Been busy this week? It sure has been cold out. This is my first time getting out to train since the last time we met. So what were you wanting to do today?"
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 12th, 2011, 5:45 am

It was easy to see Clyde because he and the life giving branches were colourful in the white zone. He moved frantically when asked to leave the dry spot, a god should have the best seat available. "Of course Master Clyde. Would you like a cold drink as well?" Bob moved to the side giving Clyde space to sit putting him in between Clyde and the tree. "Nope, been recovering from the last week. This week? I'm sure you would have something interesting planned in mind." and in his mind he continued the thought about how they might be able to make it rain fire this week. And the god Clyde must have heard his prayers today because after he shifted off his spot, Clyde started a fire on it.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 12th, 2011, 6:28 am

Coming over, Clyde quickly made a fire, to warm the two of them up. Already he could feel sensation returning to his fingers and toes, after being outside in the cold so long. It was good to be a fire reimancer when it was cold out.

Looking over, he wondered why Bob had called him a master, and offered him a cold drink... surely he was not drinking the snow? That could not be sanitary! But thinking back to the last time he saw him, he remembered he was a bit delusional, and was seeing things, after overgiving. Maybe he had "seen" something then to make him think differently of Clyde.

"Uhm... Bob? Are you feeling all right? You seem to be acting a bit odd.... The last time we saw each other, you were.... well you seemed to be under a hallucination... Have you ever been told of the effects of overgiving in reimancy?"

"Because one of the effects can be hallucinations and delirium. So have you seen anything odd that is making you act this way? Or do you suddenly believe something you normally would not? You have to be careful when under overgivings effects..."

Watching Bob carefully, Clyde kept on warming his hands, finally starting to thaw from the warmth of the fire. It might not be good to stay out here to long, as a fire might attract unwanted attention. The knights might come to investigate, or think someone had started a fire out in the woods.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 12th, 2011, 6:51 am

Bob was sitting by the fire as close as to the fire without the risk of getting burnt. He didn't hate the cold but its not like he didn't like warmth either. Since Clyde did not want the drink, he tossed it over the other side. There is snow everywhere and its pretty easy to make more.

"Overgiving? Of course I know. Magic is dangerous and it can damage your body as well as your enemies!" Bob did not think he was acting odd, its only right to treat a god with reverence. Was Clyde trying to say something? "The only odd thing I saw was rain in the winter eventhough the sky was clear of clouds. But you saw that too right? Or are we both crazy?"

Was he going crazy? Clyde said that there may be hallucinations and delirium but Bob only started using reimancy seriously after meeting Clyde. And Clyde? He has been doing it since he was a kid as far as Bob knew and the boy was not crazy. So if he was crazy, his younger friend should be even more so. Bob thought to himself looking as Clyde with a grin "Ahhhhh my friend you shrewd devil. If the knights would hunt mages what would happen when they know there is a god in their midst? Alright, I'll play along to keep your secret." but the only words which came from his mouth was "What are we going to do today then?"
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 12th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Looking at Bob, he wondered further what was going on. He was thinking he might be wrong, but he was acting odd.....

"Okay.... well, it does not usually last forever, so even if you saw something before which made you believe something, you should be back to normal by now. "

Reasoning this out loud, he just hoped he was wrong, it was not always a good idea or safe to be around someone who overgave and gained some odd conviction under the affects of delirium. Though Clyde had been pretty careful over the years, he had only suffered from mild overgiving, and nothing severe. This was a combination of both caution, and not having a lot of time to train.

"So, have you thought any about which element you might want to get next? I told you of them all and there combinations last time, which one interests you the most? You should probably decide soon, that way when your skill increases, you will already have been dedicating your mind to that one element."

Blowing out a small amount of res, he gathered it in a ball, and then using attraction pulled some of the flame off of the fire before them. Using the ball of fire and res, he made small hand motions, and moved it to help melt the snow around, to give them a clear spot.

"Here, I am melting the snow with my fire, you go behind and use water attraction to dry the ground, so we can use it. And so we can do some glyphing. It might be good for you to learn some."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 12th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Elements...but there are so many. How can you expect Bob to choose only one? It is definitely a hard choice. "Its hard to choose... Earth seems tempting since it would let me use Ice when I combine it with my water but I am looking at using air as well. Or if I really want to hurt someone, maybe I should take fire?"

Then Clyde melted the snow and told Bob to dry the ground. Also, their lesson today was on glyphing. The trick that Clyde used to keep the fireball last week. Finally some god magic. Bob really wanted to make his reimancy better but if he was going to learn something new, it works for him either way.

Bob put his res on his hands again and hovered it over the water. The same trick that he used on the snow only now it was faster in its liquid form. He floated the waterball it made at his head level wondering what to do with it. He already drank a lot and if he had anymore, he might get sick. The waterball swirled and coiled like a snake moving to his other hand away from the fire and Bob let go off his control over his res, letting the water fall on the snow. "Good to learn huh? Tell me more about glyphing then." Bob said with a smile.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 12th, 2011, 5:12 pm

"Well, you still have time to decide, just think it over and do which you think will best help you. But you can attack just as easily with fire as with earth. Fireballs are nice, but so are spikes of earth. My next element i get i am going for earth myself. But to each to his own, it decides what you want to do with it."

Watching, he nodded as Bob did as asked. Now they had a nice dry spot to do some glyphing on. And it seemed that Bob was finally getting good at controlling his res through reimancy.

"Well the first thing you should now is that in itself glyphing does nothing. It only helps to manipulate other magics, and to influence them. It can help to redirect it, to focus it, and to defend from it, or even as I showed you it can store magic. The simplest application is to draw a focus on you which helps you to extrude res from that point, such as the palms of your hands."

"A glyph is a single rune symbol. Usually this will look differently for each person, but is still recognizable by other glyphers. You can combine these glyphs into making sigils, which each has its own unique task."

"A focus is a single large glyph, which can store magic, and helps to draw djed to it. A barrier is a series of glyphs usually as a circle, that surrounds something else, such as a focus.This both blocks and keeps magic from escaping from inside, or in the focus. A trigger is something which activates or deactivates another sigil, such as the barrier to release the effect held in the focus."

Each of these parts would be spaced to allow Bob to hear it, and for it to sink in, hopefully so that Bob would retain it all. Taking out some chalk, Clyde handed it to Bob.

"Okay now, I want you to draw something simple. Draw a few simple glyphs, and then draw a focus, barrier, and a trigger. I have shown you them before when I made those glyphs to capture my fireball. But I will do so once more as an example. After I do it, you can try."

Drawing a large focus with some chalk, he carefully put it out. Then he surrounded it with a barrier, with words such as restrict, withhold, and deflect. He used words of ancient tongue for his glyphs, but since Bob did not know this language he could not do the same exactly. He would have to use his own unique way. Finally he drew a small trigger, and drew in common the effect to start it, Magic come out and expel your power.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bob Barton on July 12th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Why can't he just say drawings like normal people? Glyphs and sigils...if you had to draw them out, its still a drawing right? "So...all I do is draw something and it will use my res like I would in reimancy? Sounds easy enough." Bob watched Clyde drawing and writing. Of course other glyphers can identify it if you are going to write the words magic on the drawing Bob thought to himself. Bob took the chalk in his hands and drew a big circle on the ground. Then he looked at Clyde's reference glyph but the only words he could see was the one written in common. The rest was only gibberish to him. So on his circle he only wrote "Magic come out and expel your power" as Clyde did. But it looked too plain compared to Clyde's so he added some suits of a deck of cards all around the focus. "So, what now?" Bob asked expecting another miracle.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 12th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Watching, Clyde saw what Bob did. He got some parts, but not others, and needed a few correcting notes.

"Well not exactly. This is not like reimancy, it does not take any djed to use glyphing. This by itself does nothing, its only effect is in how if affects other magics. And for a barrier, it is not just a circle, you got that off from the way it is supposed to be. It is a series of glyphs that circle whatever you want to hold in. Such as keeping in the magic in a focus. It could also be a line of glyphs, or a triangle, but a circle is the most common."

"Perhaps that is your way of doing it, instead of the way I do glyphs, yours could be suits of a card like that. Though it is different, all glyphers will understand its intent, because the structure will look similar and will do the same thing. It has the same common features no matter what you do. To each his own way though."

Looking it over, he did have his own way, and with a bit more practice, he would have it down.

"So try it once more, but this time without the circle. Instead make up the barrier of individual glyphs as you draw them, and circle them around to surround the focus."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next