The Ghost of the Big Top (Circus Thread. Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Essik on August 29th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Essik looked over the two newcomers as they announced their interests in the circus. He smiled happily for a moment, making sure to note down the man’s name in his head. The woman hadn’t given hers, so he would have to get that later, should she be willing to divulge it. If she wasn’t then he would take some kind of nick name or something.

He looked over to Jerico as he explained his talents, or at least one of them. Essik knew better than to judge a book by its cover, or even the first few pages, in this case. After all, most of what he was good at was hidden well under the surface of his façade or even the first layer of what most people got to see. Still, Jerico’s mandolin looked exquisite and carefully carried with the man. So he was sure that the man was well versed in the instrument with as well as he took care of it. He had least had the devotion to the instrument to learn it further than what he currently did. So that was always, if anything, a great place to start.

He looked to the woman, looking her over once more. He wasn’t sure what she had for her talents. She was slightly short, but she her slight frame could easily suit an acrobat or the like. Still, he would have to find out for sure later. But she was interested in the whole enterprise, so that was a good start for now.

Essik moved to stand beside them, looking over the tent once more,” As you can see, there is going to be a bit of work to get everything back going again. I’m still going to be working of recruiting more people for the entertainment, but in the mean time, I’m going to have to be working to hire more people to work with us to get everything back up to an operational capacity. After that, we can get the acts running and start pulling people in for shows again.”

As Essik looked around the tent again, his eyes caght sight of something from the shadows of the stands that ringed the massive tent. A slight bulge sticking up from the seats behind where he had been standing before. His eyes narrowed for a second as he watched carefully, but he continued moving his head around as if he had continued to sweep his gaze across the interior,” We’re working on find other people who are interested, and I figure we’ll get started putting this wole big thing back together again starting pretty soon. This is mainly a “meet and greet” event to see who all is interested right now. So… are you guys comfortable with heavy lifting and hard work before this all gets started?”

Essik continued to watch the lump in the stands, curious to see if it was just something bunched up there or if it was possibly someone watching them from the darker recesses of the tent, trying to stay hidden. He wasn’t quite sure why anyone would want to, it’s not like this wasn’t an open event for everyone to attend. So… he continued to watch for now.
Essik
"No...."

Words: 84827
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Leiwinn on August 30th, 2011, 12:03 am

Leiwinn didn't have time to answer Essik's question. More people started showing up and she watched with curiosity as he greeted each of them. She chuckled a bit at his words, choosing not to mention the fact that the Circus had never really been alive an active. The few days of performing they had actually done brought in too few visitors to even cover the base costs of keeping the place open. But Leiwinn didn't want to crush the poor man's dreams, especially with new people around to watch. Perhaps the circus could be saved, she didn't know. But she wouldn't stand in his way.

Deciding that Essik's question could wait until later, when they had some privacy, Leiwinn stretched her arms and turned to survey the area. It just so happened that she turned just as Bob was ducking back down behind his bench. Leiwinn raised an eyebrow in curiosity and started walking his way. As she did so she called on her far to unused djed, lacing her tongue in it's energy. If she was going to be in the circus again she needed to start practicing her skills some time. Leiwinn hopped up on a bench, spotting Bob ducked down behind it.

Leiwinn understood what he was doing. He was scoping them out, making sure they weren't a threat, making sure this whole Circus thing wasn't just one big trick. It was quite the common thing in Sunberth to be so untrusting. One never knew who might be out to get them, and meeting in a big abandoned tent just outside city limits just seemed like a trap waiting to be sprung. But, so far as Leiwinn could tell, it was not a trap. Essik seemed truly genuine in his desire to get the Circus back up and running, and whatever his motivations were Leiwinn was sure he would do it.

She looked down at the man in hiding and put on her best smile. "Well, hello there." Her voice was a hint melodious, and quite friendly. It was laced with hypnotic djed. "What are you doing hiding back here? Come on out, we aren't here to hurt you or take your Mizas." Her words were true, but they were also laced with magic. Trust her, the magic said. She is safe, trust her. Trust. It was a simple form of emotional response she was trying to coax out, but it was also one of the most useful. If her magic worked Bob would trust her. Not completely, perhaps, but enough to come out of hiding. "I assume you are here for the Circus as well? Come on out so we can meet you."
Leiwinn
Player

Words: 74230
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2010, 1:47 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on August 31st, 2011, 4:30 pm

OOCLol, I am thinking Bob will lose a lot of respect from this XD

Bob was still bumping around the seats trying to get a better position to watch what was going on all over the place. With every new person which entered the big tent, he would have to shift to a better position to make sure that he could watch the whole group. If that was too hard then he would have to settle with one or two of them obscured from him. It was better than the alternative of being detected. Too much movements would make it easier for people to notice that he was around or make too much noise that he did not want to. Like those few times he bumped into the seats.

Yes! The exotic looking woman was heading over to Bob. His charms were obviously strong and he...wait. Wait! No! This was bad. He was trying to move unseen. And now that she had saw him it was only a matter of time before he was captured. It would be stupid that at this point he was captured in a trap. What are they going to do to him when they got him. Rob him? Sell him to slavers? Or worse...sell him to the mad doctor! Bob was going to have to find a way to get out of this one.

Bob ducked back down at the seats just as the woman was about to reach him. Here goes nothing. "Squeak, squeak!" Bob pushed out his lips to try and imitate the sounds of a mouse. "Meowwww...Reowwww!" making the sounds of a angry cat from the back of the throat. As an added good measure he kicked a few of the seats down. Hopefully the woman would think his poor efforts can be dismissed as wild animals on the loose.

Maybe Bob started his trick a little too late or it was just really that bad. The woman was already on the bench and inviting him to the group. But Bob was already too into his role. Waving his hand like a paw he started hissing and saying "Meow, meow I am a cat. A big cat. You just think I am a person." Alright, that was stupid but he had nothing to lose. And maybe if he was lucky enough she might even think he was some sort of village idiot in Sunberth who can be ignored.

The more she talked the more Bob started to settle down. Something at the back of his mind was telling him to trust her. Trust her...she was attractive enough so Bob would not mind taking the risk but what about her friends? "Are you sure you people won't hurt me? Well if you say so..." Bob extended his hand inviting her to lead him there. On his other hand he clasped his cane even harder. As they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And the unwritten line, keep the beauties the closest.
Last edited by Bob Barton on October 25th, 2011, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Treasure on August 31st, 2011, 8:02 pm

Treasure listenend to the others and looked around, a bit disappointed they felt the shabby place needed fixing, but it seems they were as civilized as most, and prefered things whole and neat.

"Oh, I'm not so good with lifting, but pulling's no trouble at all! I usually pulled out little cart before it broke down, you see. Well, I pretty much had too after we ate the horse, but it was a mean winter and he was getting pretty old.. I'm sure I can pull a few people, no problem! Anyway, hard work is no trouble at all! I'm used to it. But what's an act?"

She was of course careful not to look him in the eyes, common pack-curtesies is the first thing she remembers learning. Instead, her brown eyes focused on his mouth, a safe enough place to look, which may also indicate if an attack was comming. She smiled, as usual showing no teeth, and waited for a reply. She twisted a lock of her hair with her right hand, being a bit nervous yet excited. She was disappointed this was a meet and greet meeting, as she wanted to start right away! She wanted to be active, to be a part, to learn!
away - will be back when my sadistic sister lets me, or I find a new place to live, sorry.
Treasure
Player

Words: 6042
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Jerico on September 1st, 2011, 12:58 am

Jerico listened to Treasure talk about lifting and hard work, laughing weakly he spoke up as well.

"Heavy lifting and hard work...Not exactly what I'm good at, but I guess it is necessary for getting this place up and running again."

He turned, hearing a noise that sounded a bit like a cat. As his attention became more focused he began to make out the words.

"...Is she talking to a cat?"

At first he thought the woman might be crazy, then a wide grin spread across his face as he realized it was a person that Leiwinn was talking to...a person pretending to be a cat.
Jerico
Player

Words: 11043
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Character sheet

Postby Essik on September 2nd, 2011, 11:20 pm

Not but shortly after Essik had noticed the large lump of something in the stands, Leiwinn had apparently seen it as well. She had moved over to the area to investigate while Essik had continued talking with the other performers who had arrived. Still, he watched carefully as they talked about what had to be done. Essik took a second to look over to the woman standing near him, smiling again for a moment, “Hard work is what’s going to be the most important. Lifting won’t be the only thing. There will be a lot of moving and hauling things around to get the whole area ready for people to come back in. and an act is a performance. Someone displaying a talent at something for the entertainment of the public: that is an act. Musicians playing a concert for people would be considered an act. Anything like that, really. It’s using one’s skills to entertain.”

He caught the comment from Jerico as well and nodded, ”There will be a team of people here at that time, so it will definitely be a combined effort from everyone. If everyone works together, even the heaviest of lifting will seem trivial to a mass of people.”

He looked over to where Leiwinn was walking, his head cocking to the side curiously for a second as he listened to the whole commotion happening in front of the woman, “You know, I would have to say so…” But he realized just as quickly as the minstrel what was really happening. Essik’s eyes narrowed a little bit as a short man produced himself from his hiding spot and was lead by Leiwinn toward the rest of the group,” Apparently we have a spy it seems. I wonder where it is that he came from.” Essik shook his head, sighing for a second before he turned and looked to the other two once more.
“If anyone knows how to sew or anything like that, or even knows anyone else who can, that will be of great importance for getting the tent back in shape for people to be seated under it and everything. The one thing that will be the hardest to get will be the funds to purchase all the things we need in the beginning. And finding a mob of people willing to get paid a meager amount to help with all the work. Once all the work is done, it will pay off 100 times over again, but it’s the initial investment that is going to be the problem, but don’t worry. I won’t be asking any of you to put funds into this old beast just yet. So you’re all safe.” Essik chuckled light heartedly, “I will let you know that, ifg you need a place to stay that I will be putting up a few of the performer’s tents immediately for places for any performers or workers to stay, free of charge. I can’t really help for food or anything like that, yet. But at least I can help you all out if you need a place to stay for cheap. We’ll all have to guard each other’s things and we’ll have to start working together like a group to make it all work out alright, but I assure you that I will do everything in my power to make sure you are all safe and taken care of while you work for the Circus.”

Essik looked over to Leiwinn and the newcomer as they walked over, bowing his head to the woman once more, “And who might our new friend be? Why is it that he saw fit to hide in the shadows and spy on us all here? You don’t happen to work for Robern, would you? I’d hate to have to skin one of his agents alive. If you’re here on your own then I welcome you to our group.”
Essik
"No...."

Words: 84827
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Character sheet

Postby Leiwinn on September 8th, 2011, 12:02 am

Leiwinn quirked an eyebrow at the strange little man. Was he pretending to be a cat? Little did it matter, though, for he seemed to realize easily enough that his ruse had failed. And Leiwinn realized that her magic was doing it's job when he reached out to let her lead him into the group. Leiwinn accepted his hand with her own and helped him over the bench, walking him over to the crowd. She noted the cane, but deemed it not a threat, and walked them over to Essik. Leiwinn quickly glanced over the newcomers, sizing them up and cataloging them in the back of her mind. Later names would be added to the faces and she would do her best to remember each of them, just as she had Essik, even if this was the only time they would ever meet.

Leiwinn had no idea who Robern was, but she could sense that despite his humorous tone Essik was completely serious about the threat if the little man did turn out to be an actual spy. Lewinn didn't think he was though, and quickly turned to the little man taking his other hand in hers. "Now, now, don't mind him." Leiwinn fueled a little more djed into her words, and began to push the energy into her fingers as well. Already she could feel the strain at the back of her mind, but Leiwinn knew if she ever wanted to improve she had to push the limits a little bit. Not cross them, only push. The djed trickled from her hands and into Bob's and she continued to speak in her sweet soft voice. "You don't work for this Robern he's talking about, do you? I don't think you do, but it's okay if you tell me. I'm Leiwinn, by the way. What's your name. You can whisper it in my ear if you want. You can trust me."

Leiwinn pushed one final suggestion across their hands. Be honest, it said, and then she stopped channeling the djed not wanting to risk over use. That didn't mean the performance was over though. The hypnotic effects would linger for some time, and probably would have been enough, but Leiwinn moved in close to the little man and leaned toward him. She had to bend down a bit, being a full foot taller than him, but she put her ear to his lips so that he might whisper his answer into her ear. One hand held his while the other fell to his waist to support her position, and Bob could feel Leiwinn's warm breath on his neck as she awaited his reply.
Leiwinn
Player

Words: 74230
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2010, 1:47 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 8th, 2011, 5:10 am

When Bob held on to the woman he gave a little squeeze. Hmmm...as expected from a woman like this. Her skin was...hehehe... But another thing was her hand felt strong and firm. That one was totally unexpected. It reminded Bob of the more trained people he had already met. Like knights and Akalaks who needed their body in good condition when they had to fight and protect the city. Or even the sailors and brutes he had met causing trouble in bars. This woman probably has trained for a specific reason along those lines and this would be the reason that she could survive in Sunberth. Even looking like something Bob and every other man did not mind keeping an eye on in this dangerous city.

When Bob was getting closer, he tried to listen to what the man in the middle was saying. It was good enough that everyone was quiet in giving their attention to him so it was easy to pick up. Looks like they were really trying to get a circus running from his explanation of performers and laborers for his tent. And an investment of a hundred fold. If that was true, Bob really had to be a part of it. Or it could be a really elaborate trap and everyone, Bob included has now fallen into it.

Bob decided that he did not like Essik, as much as those Daggerhands that worked for Robern that he already met yesterday. They haven't gotten to introductions yet and he already threatened Bob. That was not the order that he was accustomed to.

So he decided to take advantage of the situation to get in good with the attractive woman beside him. At the threat, Bob quickly squeezed both of the woman's hands that she had given him and gave a sickly looking face like he was afraid that the threat would be carried out while he inched closer to her. He hoped that the weakness he portrayed would draw out the protective nature that all woman had towards weaklings. Weaklings like Bob. Sometimes, it works to his advantage.

Whispering sounded good. Very good. It will get Bob further away from Essik and a lot closer to Leiwinn. He leaned forwards towards her ear. Until he could feel a tingling sensation from her breath. Oh yes, he will be very honest here. Only for her ears though, "I am Bob, Lady Leiwinn. And if you are the face of the circus right now instead of him, I am willing to discuss our future. Say...over dinner?" Bob was quite interested in the circus. But he was interested in her a lot more.
Last edited by Bob Barton on October 25th, 2011, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Treasure on September 8th, 2011, 11:05 am

Treasure looked over Essik and Jerico, trying to make sense of these civilized beings and their going ons. Performance.. hm.. Entertainment.. Entertainment! She could do that! She knew a tiny bit of acrobatics, learned from her dear mother before she left her parents.
"I can walk on a line in the air.. We used to tie a rope high up between two trees, it was great fun!"

She glanced over at the woman talking to someone pretending to be a cat, until Essik spoke again, wondering if someone could sew. She thought for a few seconds, her mother could, but it'd take a really long time to find her, if she ever would..

"I can try to sew.. But I've never done it before.. and I have to go buy things to sew with first.."

She looked uncertainly at Essik. He offered them to stay with him, that must mean to be part of his pack! And she couldn't even sew for him.. But she could try! As the woman walked over with the man who tried to pass as a cat, she watched them and the two she'd been talking to, wondering what was going on.
away - will be back when my sadistic sister lets me, or I find a new place to live, sorry.
Treasure
Player

Words: 6042
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Jerico on September 8th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Jerico kept his attention on Essik, while keeping his eyes on the newcomer. He didn’t seem entirely sane, nor did his sneaking around really didn’t improve Jerico’s thoughts of him either.

“A spy? If he is spying he’s not very good at it. I think everyone in one way or another noticed him as we came in. Though if I may ask, why would the Daggerhand need to spy on a dead circus? You’re not in any trouble with them are you Essik?”

Turning his attention back to Essik and Treasure he grinned as she spoke about walking on a tight rope and sewing. She seemed unusually energetic for someone living in Sunberth. Essik had already offered to give anyone who needed it shelter. Yet as Jerico thought about the offer he realized something else.

“I’m sorry to say I can’t sew, though I can happily say I don’t need a place to stay. I have my own house in the commons. If we need more people to help rebuild the circus offering them a place to stay while they help would be a good way to motivate them into working. As for an initial investment I have a few mizas that I can put towards getting this place up and running if needed.”
Jerico
Player

Words: 11043
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Character sheet

PreviousNext