Coming Up a Bit Short (Bob Barton)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 1st, 2011, 9:27 pm

Cool limp! Such a small man with so many stories... The limp was probably exaggerated, if not fake, but the deception wasn’t what bothered him. Koffurn was merely bothered that there was probably no story behind it. The disappointment was momentary though. The Legate resumed grinning when he realized that he could be the story. He figured he wasn’t in many stories, but he would be. Bob may talk of the strange boy that nabbed some of his precious Mizas.

He paused a moment before following his short companion into the tavern. The doors opened, and sounds of mirth flooded into the bright streets and then stopped when the doors shut behind Bob. The short man’s final word seemed to echo in Koffurn’s ears uncomfortably. It wasn’t kind, especially after Bob had deflected the most... succulent... questions. It was hard to hurt the novice Maledictor, but he was a bit saddened by the open hostility.

After a moment, he followed Bob into the hustle and bustle. Even though the day was young, the tavern was pretty packed, but the city was Sunberth and the tavern was the most popular in the city. He glanced around and found Bob a few feet ahead of him. Koffurn tapped on his shoulder and motioned towards an empty table in the corner. My friend evaded my preference for dice, but a nice corner table is something he will not deny me...

Koffurn pulled a chair out for the small gentleman but waited. Bob would most likely not pick the chair he had pulled for him. The small square table had four chairs around it. Two had their backs to the wall while the other two had their backs to the rest of the bar. The young Legate removed his backpack and held it, as if deciding which chair he was going to put his belongings on. Koffurn had his preference, but he would not make them known to tricky Bob.

“Zeltiva you said? That is very lucky. With a body like yours, I would imagine arming yourself with a good brain could be the difference between life and death... and where can one acquire a better brain than in Zeltiva? Why’d you leave? Gambling addiction?” He said, still with no cruel intentions. Koffurn merely didn’t quite understand that mentioning the “limitation” would bother Bob. It was part of who he was? Why would he deny it or be ashamed of it?

“Oh, You may want to explain the game we are going to play if you are feeling talkative. You could also buy me a drink if you are feeling generous. Though... perhaps being sober would give me an advantage,” Koffurn said through a smile. Information overload had yielded better results than playing more coyly. The real games were about to begin...
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Words: 49489
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2011, 5:05 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 2nd, 2011, 7:42 am

OOCI am assuming that the chair you pulled out is not any of the ones leaning on the wall right since there is no space between? Tell me if I am wrong so I can make edits. XD

In the tavern it was just another normal day. Bob was thinking of the best place they can have their game. Preferably a table right in the middle of the tavern just so that the boy will think twice before he tried any of his whacky talents on Bob. But while he was looking for a suitable one surrounded by people, Koffurn had already made his way to a table in the corner. "Petch, he has already set his evil plans in motion."

Bob made quick glances between Koffurn and the chair he pulled out. "No way in hell I am taking that seat." Bob thought to himself. If Bob sat there then Koffurn would be able to take the seats in the shadowy corners of the wall. Trying to perform his talents on Bob. "No my friend, why don't you sit there and make yourself comfortable? I am smaller so the narrow space won't be that uncomfortable for me." Giving a big smile to make his intents seem sincere to Koffurn, Bob took his seat at the chair on the wall at the opposite.

In the shadows, Bob reached into his pockets. "Opps, forgot that I am not supposed to have dice for this boy." Bob silently reminded himself as he fingered his dice in his pocket. Then reaching into his other pocket he took out his deck of cards. Hmm, maybe Bob should just take an extra precaution to win here. Seeing that he was the one in the concealed place and Koffurn was all exposed, Bob could try for his own whacky talents which Koffurn could not.

To keep the boy's attention off what Bob was about to do next he tried the friendly approach that the boy kept asking for. He started shuffling the cards slowly, gradually increasing in speed as he spoke. Just doing the normal motions of putting one stack over the other like he had been doing for so long. "Do I look so stupid or weak to you to have a gambling addiction? I left because of some family issues, just the same as a lot of other people who leave their homes eventhough I learned a lot from my uncle in Zeltiva."

In the middle Bob deliberately smacked the stacks together and dropped them all over the floor. "Opps, that was careless of me. I got distracted by the memories..." and stooped to the floor to pick up the cards. With the large table in between them, Bob and his cards on the floor should be concealed from view. He quickly arranged back the cards making sure that they had their faces at the same direction so that he won't have to reshuffle. But when he did he quickly palmed two cards(15:19:05) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d10 and gets 5,5. and kept them on his lap. Insurance for later he hoped.

That was nice...for a different game like Blush maybe. But Bob still had not checked those cards he swiped and instead suggested the simplest game he could think of. "Are you familiar with the game of Portraits Coughing?" Its was a very easy game that even Koffurn can play. All you have to do is reach as close to a total of twenty one cards without going over. Within 5 cards too. Don't worry if you don't know yet. You will get it fast as we play."

Bob started to distribute the cards face down. Throwing two cards for Bob(15:27:47) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d10 and gets 5,10. and two for Koffurn(15:28:42) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d10 and gets 10,9.. What the heck was that? Fifteen was one of the worst totals Bob could get. A little bead of sweat trickled down his head. "So Coughing, since this might be your first time maybe we should have a trial run first?" Bob made it look like he was concerned with the boy's game but actually he was more concerned about losing this fast. "After this we can work out the stakes." He needed another card since he could not even run. Bob reached out his hand and found that he had gotten...a four?!?(15:37:55) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 1d10 and gets 4. That was a pretty good improvement. "You know what? Just because I am a fair guy you can try shuffling the cards next Coughing."

OOCBob is going to swap the 4 with one of his 5 in my next post just a heads up. But you can get to Koffurn shuffling and resolving the results first if you want. So Bob's grand total will be 20 :) If you want to draw another card feel free to use your own dice roller since you will be using it for both our next pairs right? Hope all this works out for you.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 2nd, 2011, 6:47 pm

Bob picked one of the wall seats much to Koffurn’s pleasure. Reverse psychology at its finest. His little trick would have been quite a bit harder to pull off without the wall behind Bob. The teen naturally decided to sit across from his short companion. He figured it would be a bit strange if they were on adjacent sides. He tossed his backpack on the other chair with its back to the wall after putting his daggers in... and pulling his small mirror out subtly. Koffurn sat down with a soft groan as his legs were relieved of his body’s weight. The sounds of the drunken patrons seemed loud but they weren’t bothersome. Their merriment was almost contagious.

The skill with which Bob shuffled the deck impressed the Legate. He is really good at this! I should learn how to shuffle decks like that one day... Nifty, nifty, nifty! Bob said something about his gambling addiction and Zeltiva, but Koffurn wasn’t really listening. He just nodded absentmindedly when he finished talking. Koffurn was busy watching in awe as Bob went faster and faster until the cards exploded onto the floor.

Suspicious of foul play, the Maledictor watched as Bob collected all the cards, but he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. He waited patiently for Bob to get the deck all set up. Koffurn could barely sit still due to all the excitement and mystery that the card game offered. If his short friend was playing foul, it only thickened the plot. The game wouldn’t be very interesting if he was the only one cheating. When Bob started passing cards out, Koffurn leaned forward to grab his and subsequently dropped his small hand mirror on the ground. He used his foot to slide it across the ground and into the wall behind Bob.

It probably made a small sound, but the tavern was loud enough to mask such subtle things. Koffurn tested his little cheat. He took a deep breath and began to project his arm to the mirror, which was about a few inches beside the chair. The Legate’s astral body disconnected from the elbow first and then all the joints below until the fingertips slipped free. He sent his astral arm to the mirror and slowly slid it up the wall until it rested just above Bob’s shoulder. He could shift the angle slightly after some fiddling and see Bob’s cards even if he moved. Nineteen... Just like me.

Koffurn nodded and put his hand down. A draw was acceptable for the first round and he exclaimed loudly, “Nineteen! Just two from the top!” He grinned and looked over at Bob who didn’t seem entirely impressed. The game was commencing and Koffurn wasn’t about to lose.

“So Bob... You wanna play for Mizas or something more interesting, if not more valuable?” A sly smile played across his face. It was partially acted and partially genuine. He wanted to make Bob interested in something other than his tiny wallet, but he was also interested in what Bob had to offer. The short man had proven most interesting. Even his friendship or company would be worth playing his game.
OOCStill trying to figure out how to do this in posts. If you need me to change something, feel free to PM me.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 2nd, 2011, 8:09 pm

OOCAs discussed I will make the new hands now. And since I don't know where would the mirror be positioned, it is up to you if Koffurn sees the switch or sees cards changing magically after Bob's back comes back up. Though I don't think he will see where the cards came from since half of Bob's legs would be right under the table. :)

There were a lot of interesting sounds going on in the tavern. Like the sliding mirror on the ground and the sound it made with it hit the wall. But the combination of tavern noise and Bob being focused on the game made the information unimportant to Bob. If he had been really on the alert, he might have just noticed that the sound was coming from right behind him where the wall was. But then the only sound which got his attention was the foolish boy speaking out his cards. "A nineteen? Thats not too bad but it can be better. Bob thought to himself." Lucky he had a card or two which will bump up the advantage for him sitting right on his lap.

Holding the three cards on one hand, Bob brought them to the edge of the table. He leaned forward over to the boy like he wanted to talk to him, but using his body to hide the cards which were half below the table. "Just a word of advice, don't Cough out your total until the end next time." Bob quickly slid his thumb so that the card of four would drop on his lap while his other hand brought one of the five cards to his set. Saying his piece Bob went back leaning on his chair as though there was nothing else. Only that his hand value was now a twenty.

Bob eyed the boy opposite him suspiciously. What could be more valuable than Mizas? Like the boy wanted Bob got very interested. Not only in what he can get but also that Koffurn was a very different and...unique person. "It depends. What do you have in mind?" As curious as Bob was, it was not enough yet to get him committed to a total stranger.

The three cards were thrown on the table showing the twenty that Koffurn would lose to. And when Bob would see the nineteen, he tried to encourage the boy for another round. "Don't worry. Since this is just a practice round, you won't be losing anything. But next time just don't announce your cards too fast." Bob would be smiling at Koffurn's surprised face when he has his eyes on the swapped card.

The five cards on the table went back to the deck. Bob saw that the boy was a little shocked so he offered "Maybe I should just shuffle the cards again until you get the hang of it." Another basic shuffling move. This time taking it slow since Bob no longer needed the fast speed to prepare him for his little tricks. After nearly 20 seconds of shuffling, he seperated his two cards(03:48:27) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d10 and gets 9,1. and Koffurn's(03:49:40) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d10 and gets 2,10.. Finally! His luck was changing. This was the closest he can ever get unless he wanted to take a risk. But does he really want to? It will all depend on what was at stake and if Koffurn was stupid enough to hint things at Bob again. Having a fluid hand of 10 and 20 was very advantageous at this point of the game. Even happy Bob's face was troubled that he had a hard decision to make.

OOCVery sorry but I accidentally rolled an extra dice for myself (03:56:27) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 1d10 and gets 1. So depending on your next post and if you allow it I just might use it :) Also, some people in chat suggested I use a d13 to simulate the chances of getting face cards. Do you want me to change that in subsequent posts or we continue with d10s till the end?
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 2nd, 2011, 10:30 pm

The mirror had returned to the ground by the time Bob leaned forward. The projection trick Koffurn was doing of lifting the small mirror was quite easy, but he was still a novice and didn’t want to tire himself out. Bob leaned forward and told him not to announce his numbers before thend, but Koffurn wasn’t quite sure why he should’ve kept his nineteen a secret until the end, but he nodded solemnly. Bob was the expert and his advice should be considered despite possible treachery.

“Many things are more valuable than Mizas. Those little gold-rimmed nuggets can only do and buy so much. People can offer so much more though. I’m betting you can offer something worth more than gold, and I know I can,” his voice sounded apathetic, but it was in order to deepen the mystery. He could offer something, but his Malediction, like most, was quite unpredictable.

Koffurn’s eyes almost shot out of their sockets when Bob put down the twenty. I.. I saw nineteen... I am sure of it. I counted at least three times, but there is a twenty on the table... Is this some sort of illusion or was the nineteen an illusion? He brooded in confusion for a bit and then smiled. Why did the challenge sadden him? Challenges were fun and perhaps the man’s switch would reveal what he could offer as his side of the bet.

The Maledictor had half a mind to call Bob out on his cheating, but that would reveal his own little deception, which he would rather not do. He had partial returned movement to his arm, but he left his hand detached for the next shuffle and draw. Koffurn got a twelve and smiled. He didn’t know that much about odds and such, but he figured a twelve would be good. Only the very high numbers would finish him off. He detached his arm again and lifted up the mirror. Bob had a much better hand... or so Koffurn figured.

Ugh I wish I had his cards. No matter what he draws, he can’t go over...

Koffurn tried to devise a way to change his cards like Bob had but couldn’t think of anything. He conceded to pull another card despite the exhilarating fear. He realized that the risk and fear is probably what pleased people, and he certainly understood. Koffurn could feel his heart start to speed as he reached for the next card. The fate of everything seemed to lie on the card’s flip side. He pulled it... and it was a two. Leaving him with a total of fourteen.

To draw or not to draw?

His hand reached out again and pulled from the deck. It was a ten, which brought the total to twenty-four. He cursed and tossed down his cards. What was the use of seeing Bob’s cards if he kept going over twenty-one? Perhaps he was going to have to pay up. In preparation for his potential defeat, he asked, “I know that I’ve asked a plethora of questions, but I have a few that are more important... for your... errrrr.... my side of the bet.” He paused, partly for dramatic effect and partly to think of the proper question.

“What gods do you pray to? I mean, what are your feelings of the occult? The darker sides of magic?” he asked. It could have sounded like a threat, hinting at darker powers at his disposal, but he tried to make it more of a curious inquiry than veiled threat.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 3rd, 2011, 7:07 am

Much to Bob's relief, the decision was made for him when Koffurn went over. "Phew." Like Koffurn, if Bob had risked another draw he might also have been forced to go over. But now he was actually...winning. He won twice in a row. Not a bad start for the day. Maybe Koffurn was not too bad to have around as long as Bob could keep playing him like this.

Bob tossed out his cards as well. "Pity, it was such a good hand too..." As much as the risk and fear of the game excited Bob, beating his opponents to the ground was his true passion. Being physically wanting, skills like gambling and trickery which required more brainpower was the only true way that he could feel good about himself. Hence, the bullying of novices like Koffurn even if Bob had a little disdain for bullies themselves.

So the questions are important to Koffurn? Why would he want to know so much about someone like Bob? Is Koffurn trying to scout out a new mark so he could do his nefarious deeds? Especially the questions about the occult and the darker sides of magic. A strange question to come out in a conversation without any good reason. Bob felt his fear of Koffurn that he had when the first met returning to him. Everything about this boy screamed danger.

Bob needed a little break right now or the panic would overwhelm him. Maybe he should start talking about the stakes. Looking forward to something is always better than looking out for something. "Important for your bet?" Bob put on a frown in his face to make sure that Koffurn would know how suspicious Bob was at the statement. "What for? And if its that important, then how about you try and win it out of me?" Bob grinned. He already had a one win advantage so it would not hurt to just lead the boy on.

"But what is in it for me? What would I get if I win? If you want to get something this important from me its only fair I get something just as valuable." From the start all Koffurn had been asking about was questions, like it was the only thing he was focused on. Bob would give the boy a chance to get what he wanted, but only if Bob can get something really nice out of it. The idea of something more better than mizas was something which really appealed to him. He collected the cards and started shuffling. "Best two out of three then? I'll give you the chance to cut and deal the cards since I am already in the lead." Pulling a switch like he just did was dangerous. It was lucky Koffurn did not seem like the type with much experience or he might have called Bob out on his deception. So to avert suspicion, Bob hoped that this little offer would do as he held out the deck to the boy.

OOCWhatever Koffurn wants to offer, Bob would probably take it at this point ;) Like scary and dangerous toys we have been talking about :P
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 3rd, 2011, 11:35 pm

Koffurn was getting fairly frustrated, but the boy just tapped his foot impatiently. The more he focused on the game, the more the sounds, smells, and sights of the tavern floated away. Soon, it was as if Bob, the cards, the table, and him were occupying a void. The Legate’s gambling companion tossed out his hand and said it was a pity that Koffurn busted. Bob’s voice seemed so loud now and Koffurn winced a little.

He could tell that he had caused Bob to feel suspicious rather than curious. Koffurn was a little annoyed at both Bob and himself. Of course he is going to be suspicious when I go around talking about ghosts and evil magic, but still... how could he find me threatening? He decided that Bob wasn’t one of the awfully righteous types who would judge his art with blind eyes. He cleared his throat and decided what to say.

“You see, Bob, I am a little short on the Mizas,” he said with a stress on short, which he immediately felt guilty for, but regret was one of the few things he didn’t believe in holding on to. “My lack of Mizas means I don’t have anything to offer to those who would not accept my less savory offers.”

He picked one of the cards up from the table and examined it with feigned interest. He continued after he grew weary of looking at the plain card, “I’m a practitioner of the Legacy, also known as Malediction to some who close their minds to greater possibilities. I could make you something if you win. What it will do is a bit of a... gamble.” He thought himself quite clever for the last reference and he couldn’t quite keep from smiling.

“The offer is for one of my pieces made specially you for. The deal is for a single item. It could be cursed or it could make you something greater, but that’s a risk you have to take with such powerful forces,” he said carefully. Koffurn wanted to make it clear that the item he gave Bob may not be entirely desirable to keep. He added, “You would oversee its creation of course. It would be a shame if such the reward for this honest game we are having now would be laced with trickery.”

He had talked a lot but he wanted to finish, “I have my Maledicted items and you have your wit. One of those can’t be given, but time can always be given. If I win, all I want is for you to be my friend or, if you don’t like me, at least my ally. You see there is no way for you to lose really. There is also no way for me to lose either. I find these terms most agreeable for both of us. You either receive a nifty trinket or an ally with a unique skill set. I get practice or a friend.”

He didn’t wait for Bob to respond. He nodded and said, “Best two out of three.” Koffurn sloppily shuffled the cards and dealt the cards just as Bob had except only with one hand. His projected arm was already lifting the mirror. Koffurn got a nineteenA nine and a ten and he could see that Bob got a nineteen or nineAn ace and a eight. He prayed to every god that Bob would try to go for twenty or twenty-one and bust, but a draw was acceptable as long as it stayed a draw.... unlike last time.
OOCI used an online dice roller website with d13 setting. Hope that's ok with you. If not, you can do your chat way and PM me the results and I will change. Also, nineteen seems to be our lucky number... probably gonna be the name of the next thread.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 4th, 2011, 5:22 am

Short on mizas? If he was short on mizas why did he even bother playing a game with stakes? Bob was getting more and more suspicious about the less savory offers. And soon, he will know why. He spoke about Legacy and Malediction. Which Bob has no idea about its magical properties. What he did know about it however, is more like it was another way of storytelling. Bob preferred the verbal arts where he gets to see his audience. But Malediction was another thing altogether. Like a book on the history of something. There was no reason to have something like that when books are better, but the symbolic value of it made it perfect to wager in their game. Especially since Bob will not be putting forward anything worth any money either.

"I will take that gamble then. And since you offered, I will be around to oversee its creation too." Koffurn's clever words was not lost on Bob. And the idea of the risk was exhilarating. If it turned out cursed, there are other people in Sunberth that Bob did not like which could use it. And when they asked about it he can deny, deny, deny! Yes, yes. All this was good. And even if he loses, he wins. Friends are more valuable than mizas in Sunberth. Honest friends like what Koffurn seemed to be like with his open admission, even better.

But what was that about trickery. Bob did not give any hint about his previous switch. And he only did it once. Not enough for a new player to detect no matter how bad and sloppy Bob was doing it right? Unless Koffurn was hinting that he had been cheating too. Then that would mean Bob would have to reconsider about his new, honest friend. Maybe he could confirm it for his friend to prove his honesty. In a way that would not hint about Bob either. "Well my new friend. What do you mean by trickery?" Bob had to find a way to justify his suspicion too. Hmm...maybe Koffurn's past words would do. "Do you mean you have been leading me on about you not being good at games? Like when you openly admitted with your nineteen at the first time just to get me to be your friend?"

Bob would have been flattered if Koffurn admitted to go through so much effort to be his friend but now it was time for him to think about winning. One more win and he gets a new ally and trinket in Sunberth. It was just as easy as taking his two cards. And another!(12:59:00) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 1d13 and gets 3. Koffurn's prayer must have been working since that small number just killed a lot of potential. Yes, the gods were cursing Bob with low draws(13:00:36) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 1d13 and gets 1. sadly enough. The last one(13:01:52) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 1d13 and gets 5. would be enough hopefully.

Nope that did not happen. "You just can't let me have that win can you Ovek?" Bob mumbled to himself about the god. He did not like to believe in gods so he prefered to think Ovek was some legendary gambler which stood out among the rest. The one which the losers like him talk about hoping that some of his skills will rub off on them.

But maybe there would be some way to use these cards to his advantage even when he was losing. The aces...they were calling out to Bob like...alluring women. He just MUST have them! And there...was a way. One which Koffurn had shown him earlier. He was already leading so he figured he could take the loss just this once and win magnificently with it in the end.

"Bah, I guess you win." Bob said grumpily as the threw his cards out. But when he did he aimed for the corner of the table so that his cards would bounce off and land on the floor. Without waiting for Koffurn to say anything he was already on the floor as well. A little too fast a reaction if Koffurn was suspicious enough. Fortunately he was only interested in the cards so even if he caught a glimpse of the mirror he would be ignoring it. He quickly looked through the five cards. Looking for the ones with the one picture he should be looking out for. And when he found them he swapped them with his other cards. Now with one hand he tossed the five cards he figured totaled up as twenty-four.

"So do you want to deal the next hand or me?" Bob did not really care either way. He did not even have to look at the new pair of cards for the next game. All he needed to do was show his pair of two aces and he wins. Bob at this point was practically grinning at how smart he was at planning all this out.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 4th, 2011, 6:51 am

Bob accepted the offer as Koffurn had predicted, but the Legate couldn’t help but to give a bit of a relieved breath. He probably would have sprinted to the door if Bob had insisted on using Mizas or perhaps he would have laughed manically. Koffurn was weird like that. He hummed tunelessly for a moment and stared at the deck. Little bits of paper had offered so much entertainment. He found it odd but not surprising. The Legate found very few things surprising.

Bob had picked up on Koffurn’s suspicions, which furthered the man’s own. Everyone was getting very suspicious all of a sudden and it was turn that wasn’t desired but could be remedied. The boy was going to do something honorable or stupid. He couldn’t really decide. “It would seem we are tied up one to one. The next game wins, but I would prefer if we played in a world where nineteen doesn’t turn to twenty...”

He paused and watched Bob for a moment. The next moment was going to be classic, a story to be told for generations and generations. Koffurn had lifted the mirror and now pulled it towards him. It danced through the air and the Legate grabbed it with his unprotected hand. He tilted it playfully and reflected some light into Bob’s face. The guilt of cheating had faded long ago when he realized that Bob was doing so as well.

“It was most honorable of you not to cheat that last round, but I am guessing you did it to cover your tracks. You probably have a way to demolish me up your sleeves. Unless you are using some sort of magic... Then the trick would be in your mind,” he laughed merrily before he had finished speaking. “So at this point I figure we are both going to be friends anyways and I will probably make you a nifty trinket out of some ferret skull or wolf vertebrae...”

Koffurn drummed his fingers on the wooden table and leaned back in his chair. His trickery allowed him knowledge, but Bob’s cheating made that knowledge worthless. The only chance he had of winning was to end both of their foul play. “So let’s get our friendship off to a truthful start shall we? This next round will be trick free. I will let you deal. I did last time and I think it is a sign of good intentions.”

He hoped Bob wouldn’t be too angry, but how angry could Bob really be? Bob had been cheating as well, and Koffurn had come clean first. Bob hadn’t cheated every round though. I wonder how he was changing the cards. Sleight of hand or mind? Such a nifty thing! Imagine if we were working together. I could float up the mirror and he could mess with his cards... it would perfect! Though we probably end up dead in a gutter the next day. He laughed again as he imagined their small bodies mangled in an alley. The Legate wasn’t exactly sure why it was funny, but he wasn’t sure of anything really...
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 4th, 2011, 12:18 pm

The grin started to fade. How did Koffurn know what were the initial cards? A spy? No, Bob's back was to the wall. Maybe he saw Bob doing the switch earlier? That would be absurd. If the boy knew that then he would also know about the winning hand which was resting on Bob's lap right now. Calling out the cards so Bob won't be able to use it next. Whatever technique he was using had some limitation. But what was it that he was doing?

The answer came with an eerie mirror floating from behind. Koffurn has been using the mirror to look at Bob's cards. Instead of considering the trick behind it which Bob probably assumed was done with wires and such earlier since Koffurn had first picks of the seats, Bob was more fumed that there was a trick that was effective on him even as he tries to hide his eyes from the light. By a green boy of all things! That was sad for Bob who has been playing for so long.

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Bob said when he started shuffling the cards around. No one is fool enough to admit to cheating. This boy was lucky too that they were at the dark corners of the Pig's Foot or one of the usual drunks might have seen his little trick and give him his just rewards. "All I did was try to play to the best of my abilities." An admission which was at all times true in Bob's mind. His poor attempts of cheating was only him trying to use whatever he could think of effectively.

Giving Koffurn his cards(20:03:03) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d13 and gets 12,10. Bob got to thinking. Unless Koffurn had any other tricks than the one he exposed, Bob could get away with cheating again scot free. Maybe, it all depends on what cards(20:05:09) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 2d13 and gets 10,7. Bob had. Curses, the cards were a little dangerous. And the cards on his other hand were just so...so...better. A straight win it would be. Of only Bob chooses to use it.

In the end he just decided to take another card(20:11:01) ChatBot: Bob_Barton rolls 1d13 and gets 7.. "Petch!" When Bob tried to play fair he loses. Why did he have to care about the friendship of a boy instead of winning? On the bright side if Koffurn was telling the truth then he would still get the trinket even by losing.

"Fine I guess you win... So what is it that you want to know about Coughing?" Bob still has not warmed up to Koffurn. Especially with the revelation of his cheating and his honesty which brushed off on Bob. Causing him to play, gasp, fair... That was absolutely horrible. Bob sincerely hoped that nothing like this would happen again over the course of their future "friendship".
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext