Coming Up a Bit Short (Bob Barton)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Bob wasn’t nearly as surprised as Koffurn had hoped. The Legate frowned and stopped drumming his fingers. The story’s grandeur was ruined, though a few embellishments would solve that issue when he told his side of the story. Koffurn had half a mind to sweep the cards off the table with his projection and end the game when Bob denied his cheating, but Koffurn decided not to. There were plenty of reasons to deny cheating. Bob could be ashamed or embarrassed. Those were two emotions Koffurn rarely felt but understood fairly well.

He may deny cheating but perhaps he won’t cheat... Perhaps that is due to honor or fear, but regardless, it is better than complete deceit. Bob talked about playing to the best of his abilities. Abilities that Koffurn had no doubt were sleight of hand and trickery, but that didn’t matter. Bob’s skills would be very useful in a friend and his lie almost made Koffurn trust him more, if not in his person than in his abilities or usefulness.

Koffurn got a twenty. He rejoiced a little. Bob would surely have a hard time matching that even if he cheated. He decided that drawing another card would be greedy and idiotic so he sat there and waited for his opponent. Bob went over and lost the game. Koffurn truly believed that the last hand had been done honestly and without the use of cheating. He could vouch for his side, and why would Bob lose?

Bob decided to be good on his side of the bargain and offered himself up for questions, but Koffurn realized that he didn’t really want to know the questions just yet. If he learned every nitty-gritty aspect of Bob, there would be no adventure or mystery in their future interactions. He looked up at the ceiling and said, “I don’t know what I want to know, Ser Bob. Perhaps I would like to know if I could trust you know. Can I trust you? Allies are one of the most valuable things in Sunberth. I would think we both would benefit from a mutual friendship.”

He thought for another minute. Technically, even though the first was a practice round, they had both won two rounds. Koffurn felt it a little unfair that they were sort of tied and he had won. Victory has never tasted so sour! He thought dramatically though he didn’t really mean it. The Legate decided that he could give Bob what he had wanted. Finding someone to wear or test his wares was difficult. If Bob wanted a Maledicted item, Koffurn would gladly oblige.

He continued, “Let’s be honest Bob, this game was win win for both us. You may have lost and I will torment you about that for the rest of our days living, but I would still like to make you something. I wouldn’t want bitterness to be the soil in which our alliance is planted. Only backstabbing and death can result from such an unwholesome environment.”
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Words: 49489
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2011, 5:05 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 5th, 2011, 4:55 am

Ser Bob? Hah! Who says that in Sunberth? That is completely stupid. Bob lifted his palm to signal Koffurn to stop talking nonsense. "I am no Ser. And I am pretty sure that no knight is stupid to come to Sunberth either. So don't suggest something which would get me killed by some eavesdropper." Saying this Bob looked around the tavern. To see if there is anyone who would suddenly took an interest in their conversation. Then they will have to stop talking before they got into any danger.

"And trust? Its better to not trust anyone in Sunberth don't you think. But if you don't mind a selfish friend who looks out for his own interests more than anything else, I've got your back." Bob was smiling satisfied at his little honesty. If Koffurn could take that little leap of faith that Bob would not stab him in the back then that is fine with him. Better still if he won't rely on Bob for anything to hard or dangerous.

Bob tossed out the two aces he had hidden below the table like they meant nothing to him. "You only won because I let you win. I am a pretty nice guy right?" Bob still had his pride to keep. And he won't tell the boy whether Bob had switched the cards already or not. Let that nag in his mind for the rest of his life. "Especially since I still get something out of losing. So when will we start working on the trinket?"
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 5th, 2011, 7:34 am

Koffurn gave an amused smirk at Bob’s reaction. Someone is a sore loser, but I can’t really blame him. This is his element. It must be awfully frustrating... It was then that he realized that Bob’s friendship couldn’t be won, and that friendship must be earned. He had won something though. He had received the chance to earn Bob’s friendship, which while not as easy as just getting it, was still worthwhile.

The Legate just nodded too all of Bob’s talk about being selfish and looking out for his own interests. He was saying that he was dangerous to trust, but it just made Koffurn trust him more. Sure it meant that perhaps he couldn’t rely on Bob as much as he would like, but he would know where Bob stood and that was rare in Sunberth. Koffurn decided to tell Bob his limits, “... And I’ve got your back as much as you have mine though I would prefer to keep my life. I don’t that will be an issue though... you are a cautious and smart man.”

Bob revealed his hidden aces. He knew that Bob was right, “You could have won in the second round and the third, but you decided not to. You will get your prize regardless.” He drummed his fingers pensively. All the materials he had acquired from Killroy’s would be ready the next day, but he didn’t want to work in the heat. The heat wasn’t kind to his mind or body.

Koffurn figured it would be a while before he could bring himself to work on the skeletons and pelts. The animals’ faces were fresh in his mind. He couldn’t begin carving when their eyes looked right into his whenever he thought of them. Koffurn bit his lip before speaking, “I figure you could come over to my place the first of fall. The cool weather will make the work more bearable for me and I need some time to prepare. Meet me in front of here that morning and I will lead you to my humble abode. Hopefully it will smell a bit better than it does now... Yes, that is another problem. The wolves and ferrets I butchered left an awful mess and a more awful stench.”

He thought about what he had said and then nodded when he approved. It was a fine plan. Perhaps Bob wouldn’t want to wait a few weeks, but it didn’t matter. The item would be made and it would be made under Bob’s superstition. Koffurn’s only regret was that he couldn’t make something to improve Bob’s attitude... and height. He laughed quietly threw his teeth at that thought and then leaned forward. The day had been fairly great, but it had also run its course.

Koffurn decided that this day was done unless Bob wanted to do anything else. He was ready to leave and tossed his mirror into his bag before pulling it onto his lap and digging through it. He found some odd piece of lint and held it up to the light. “So do you have anything else you want to do before we adjourn this rendezvous?” he asked politely with feigned interest in his voice and eyes.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 5th, 2011, 11:42 am

Koffurn confirming how their "friendship" would go satisfied Bob. That way if their friendship ever progressed it will always go on the same page. IF. And Bob would not even have to waste time thinking of what would Koffurn do. He only had to think what would he do since their limits are the same. Bob won't mind Koffurn's company now either, especially after he had given the praise of being cautious and smart.

"Wolves and ferrets? You mean they were not humans like I thought they were?" whispering to Koffurn in case anyone overhears something strange like this. "Are you some sort of hunter as well besides..." waving both his hands in a circular motion to Koffurn, Bob continued "...this?" That was surprising. The boy did not look at all like the outdoorsy type. With him being so slim Bob could barely see any muscles and more bones. One attack from a wild animal and he would already be dead. Did he use those ghosts to survive? Nothing about him was as it seems. Maybe he got it another way? Bob can't even imagine seeing Koffurn trekking through the woods and killing a wolf. A ferret maybe, but not a wolf. If he would only indulge Bob...

The first of Fall sounded great to Bob especially if "I hope you can get the mess and stench cleared out then. I already have to work with animals on a daily basis so you can guess I am already pretty sick of those." It also seemed that Koffurn was ready to leave. It was all fine with Bob then. With a smile he said his goodbyes "No, I am sure if there is anything else we can talk about it at your house." before calling for a meal to his table. Having to play such a game as he did really worked up an appetite in him.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 5th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Koffurn covered his face with his hands to stifle his laughter, “H-humans!?” He laughed again. “Oh gods, I understand the confusion but the idea of me butchering people us is truly humorous to me. I guess I was sort of leading you along with that one, but I assure that my malediction hasn’t reached that level nor has my stomach. I could hardly bring myself to cut up the little beasts even though they were dead...”

The legate leaned very far forward until he was probably intruding into Bob’s personal space a little too much. He whispered so quietly that it took the words a moment to process, “I’m not a hunter, but I am guessing I would be ok with it with my projection and all. The animals I acquired from a particular place called Killroy’s, but...” Koffurn leaned even closer. “You must not tell anyone or it will mean my life. It would be bad for Killroy if he was found doing business with a Maled-... Legate. He made sure that I told no one, but now I’ve told someone. You must never tell anyone of this or hint it or even think it. If Killroy knew you knew, he would know that I would be dead the next day.”

He hoped that the seriousness in his tone would be well received by Bob. It was an easy enough request and fell within the boundaries that they had outlined. He whispered even quieter, “If you work with animals then you probably work at Killroy’s right? Lucky coincidence... If you want to do some digging for information, make sure it is incredibly subtle or that you dig from the contents of your memory. The animals in question are a wolf and five ferrets it swallowed.”

Koffurn threw on his hood and stood slowly. The talk of Killroy and his threats had him sweating. He feared that Bob may sell Koffurn out to Killroy for a raise or promotion or something, but he looked back and decided that Bob wouldn’t. He was a loose end in the scandal and Bob was smart enough to realize that. He gave a courteous nod signaling a farewell and departed.

“Enjoy your meal,” He called back.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Archelon on September 18th, 2011, 10:39 am

Thread Award

"Ah... so that's how you do it? Okay... how much is a turtle card worth?"

And the Results!!!!:

Bob Barton :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Gambling3
Interrogation3
Socialization3
Observation2
Acting1
Intimidation1 He's just awful at it XD
Storytelling1
Mathematics1

Lores:
Friends: koffurn?
Gambling: Stacking the Deck (poor)

Muldris :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Gambling3
Interrogation 3
Socialization3
Observation3
Acting1
Projection2
Intimidation1 Inadvertantly Counts >.<

Lore:
Friends: Barton

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
Just making a note here, Koffurn you wouldn't be able to actually teach bob till you gain a higher skill in malediction. 30 pts to be exact same as with other magics. He could tag along, but it would be very unlikely he'd get more then a point in Inadvertant malediction. As is, any malediction novice cannot make items that affect another person.No larceny was awarded as there was very little actual things which could be construed as larcenous acts. Cheatings a different matter ;3
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous