Between the Twisting Alleyways (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 2:07 am

(Fall, 511 AV)

"It is said you can find everything you ever wanted or didn't want within these walls." Read a hastily scrawled note in the margins of his mother's notebook. Her dream was to come to Alvadas and discover the heart of the city, discover her own heart, and to discover her own potential, but she never made it across the Suvan Sea. Her dreams were still realized at home, her husband and son. She loved them dearly, and realized that she need not go far to find what she desired.

Douglas felt differently, and lived a different life from his mother. He knew that what he wanted lay elsewhere, and even if it were found in Syliras, he'd have to travel the four corners of the globe first before he could ever have the capacity to see it with his own eyes; and the best way to test your eyesight would be to observe the inner mechanizations of one of the most mind boggling cities in Mizahar.

Douglas sat atop the Sanity Center, pulling croutons out of a small bag and slowly, methodically chewing them one by one. Oddly enough, they tasted like caramel and coconut, but there were no complaints heard. He was attempting to follow the same person around the cities twisted warped route, but as the buildings and streets shifted, the only constant he noticed was that no matter where he looked, he was always staring at the same merchant he bought the candy croutons from.

Well, now I'm just wasting my time. He was unable to make heads or tails of the city's layout with his bird's eye view, but perhaps if he were to dig his hands (or feet rather) directly into the mess, he would have better odds. He had only just arrived in the city last night, and was eager to find something, anything in this town that would lead him towards success.

If I firmly believe I will find what I'm looking for within these walls, than it will show itself to me. Douglas did not believe in luck or chance, only fate and desire. "If you truly want something, it will come to you. But you must always be careful of what you desire. It may just come true, but not in the way you thought it would." Words from his father that always stuck with him.

Douglas gathered his things, popping a few more croutons into his mouth, descended from the roof, and entered to heart of the city, unaware of what he would find, but open to whatever would be thrown at him.
Douglas
Aether Analyst

Words: 6027
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 1:46 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Nowa on September 3rd, 2011, 2:16 am

It was another nice day. Nowa was drifting around the breezes of the city, following the changing winds and enjoying some minor acrobatics. He swooped down low and overheard a strange comment. "...you must always be careful of what you desire. It may just come true, but not in the way you thought it would." Nowa looked to the source, and found a single man. He was gathering his things, and preparing to leave. Nowa decided to visit.

"Ritty. Onnon or his si-ey. Cra-woo!" Nowa flew in, landing on a nearby perch. The man's strange quote was just too appealing. Nowa looked the man over, focusing on his aura. "I an Nowa. Who are you?" Nowa sat ready for flight, should the man seam too terrified or ready to capture Nowa.

TranslationPritty, common for this city. I am Nowa. Who are you?"
"noWa!"
Common as a Raven is not so easy. I wrote myself a guide in my CS.
Nowa
"Cra-woo!"

Words: 36552
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2011, 6:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 2:34 am

A Kelvic, and a raven at that. Not exactly a good omen, but the few times Douglas dismissed someone purely on appearances, he regretted it.

"Well good morning! My name is Douglas. May I ask what's so common around here?" Better be polite, who knows who this bird really is or what it's really capable of.
Last edited by Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas
Aether Analyst

Character sheet

Postby Nowa on September 3rd, 2011, 2:43 am

"Every-hing is 'ritty roun' here! You 'it righ' in! Are you new?" Nowa thought to himself: Nice person, polite to birds? Very strange. Nowa examined him, or his aura. Human, cautious. "I nean you no harn. Wha' is i' you loo'in' for?" Nowa's own caution went up. He had to be ready to take off should his caution say Nowa was a threat.

OOCSee how you do without the translation.
"noWa!"
Nowa
"Cra-woo!"

Character sheet

Postby Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 2:54 am

Douglas felt as if something was watching him a little too closely. Perhaps the bird was proficient in Auristics as well. He could sense the bird was a little on the cautious side too, despite being the one to approach first. Being that small can't be easy, and perhaps he's pulled a few tricks that got a few feather plucked before.

"I arrived in town last night. I crossed the Suvan Sea from Syliras, and haven't had much time to familiarize myself with the town. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll be able to find the inn I'm staying at come nightfall." He chuckled after he finished speaking, lowering his guard. None of his valuables were on display (or within beak or claw's reach) and really, what harm could such a small bird do the man, in the middle of the day, in front of all these people coming and going?

"I'm... not quite sure, yet. I came here to seek new opportunities, whatever they may be. I would be interested in furthering my education, or perhaps teaching someone else. Right now, I'm just allowing myself to get acquainted with this town, and see what I can find here. And what of yourself, Nowa? Why do you roost here, when your wings could take you anywhere?"
Douglas
Aether Analyst

Character sheet

Postby Nowa on September 3rd, 2011, 3:17 am

He was, talking? Like, actually holding a conversation? Even stranger. What was he capable of? Yet, his caution drove him to protect his valuables. He wasn't a very open person, that was clear without the aura. "Nowa 'an fin' your inn! I 'an hel' you! Is one 'irvy so s'ary?"

The passerby were more confused then normal. If they couldn't get used to talking birds, this city would be rather hard for them. A couple of the ones leaving started into a run. "Nay-ee nore 'en I know."

Nowa thought about the man's comments. New opportunities? Well, he asked a question, may as well answer. "Nowa li's le foo'. Is all goo' and yunny."

OOCI can't read that one. XD Easier then my first try, though.
"noWa!"
Nowa
"Cra-woo!"

Character sheet

Postby Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 4:12 am

An interesting, empathetic animal this one. Douglas got the oddest feeling that although the raven was very one-track minded and simple, it could actually read his mind too; answering questions and quelling fears that were not verbalized. But he also suspected that the bird was not up to any tricks, he was mainly glad, no... ecstatic that someone was actually talking to it!

"You're a smart little birdie, aren't you Nowa? Yes, the food is incredible in this town, it inspires me to infuse a little magic into my own cooking. Say, are you hungry?" Douglas produced the bag of croutons, and poured four of them into his palm, displaying it for the bird as a gift, but Douglas was mainly using it for a bribe. "I warn you, they are sweet, but crunchy!"
Last edited by Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas
Aether Analyst

Character sheet

Postby Nowa on September 3rd, 2011, 4:43 am

Nowa's focus on his aura grew more intense, he needed to see the intent behind his offer. Was it a trick? He's... defensive? What does that mean? It was a hard call, to fly down there and risk getting caught, or to stay up here and avoid the food. He looked about, the other people around might just as well jump on the chance, it wasn't a good risk. "You ess-ect ne to 'ly 'own an' ea' 'rom your han'? Ny 'laws 'ould hur' you. I will s'ay up here." The bird was a terrible liar, the worry would be strangely evident in it's voice.

Maybe this man was just too smart to trust. Smart people can pretend to be friendly.

OOCFallacy and Miro thinks it's more fun without the translations, sorry. Miro aced this one, though. Even out of context.
"noWa!"
Nowa
"Cra-woo!"

Character sheet

Postby Douglas on September 3rd, 2011, 4:46 am

Douglas laughed at the bird's shyness. "You're too much, Nowa. Here." Douglas tossed them on the ground, where they sat on the cobblestone, right between the two of them. "How long have you lived in Alvadas, anyway?
Douglas
Aether Analyst

Character sheet

Postby Nowa on September 3rd, 2011, 4:55 am

The bird looked to the offer, the rest of the crowd still bugging him. "Ou' o' house? No' lon' a' all. No hone o' ny own now." Nowa thought about that... a major concern. He can't expect his stuff to lay safe forever. "How 'risy is a inn?" He eyed the food once again. If he were smaller, like a crow, he could totally nab it without as much difficulty. Or maybe a mouse, people don't notice mice as often.
"noWa!"
Nowa
"Cra-woo!"

Character sheet

Next