Walking Amongst Bears (Kendall)

Kendall comes across a little girl in the marketplace.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Growl on September 24th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Date: 80 Fall, 511 AV

Heather stood in the middle of the marketplace, tugging her brown, woolen cloak tightly around her chin, trying to block out the cold, Avanthlian air. Her pale fingertips trembled as she pressed them into the fabric, trying to get the tips to return to a more natural color. Her legs trembled as the wind brushed her cloak off her skin, and whistled underneath, blowing through the tiny holes in the fabric as she stumbled around through the foot of freshly-fallen, glistening white snow, which stretched out in every which direction, as far as the eye could see. The snow sank through the holes in her tiny, brown suede boots, and her teeth chattered as her lips trembled, and several tears trickled down her face. Some of them had frozen in the center of her rosy cheeks. Others curled around her red nose, as her wide eyes glanced in every which direction.

Heather was wondering where she was as she tried to wind her body into the cloak. "Why does it always have to be so cold?" she whispered through chattering teeth to no one in particular. "Why can't Syna's sun just warm the flesh for once?" Heather glanced up at the sky, and noticed that the sun was just above her head. She couldn't have left too long ago, which meant she had to find somewhere to go, somewhere farther. Somewhere where her violet colored eyes could not settle.

Heather :
The stuff you should know about her as of now:

1- Heather is not a Vantha. She speaks Vani fluently, and enough Common to get around.
2- Heather is freezing her butt off.
3- Heather is about nine, almost 10.
4- Her eyes are a deep blue, like the sea. Her hair is dirty blonde.
5- She does know her way around the city.
Last edited by Growl on September 25th, 2011, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 25th, 2011, 12:31 am

OOC80th good?
After the travel to Avanthal it was quite clear that Kendall and the rest of his group would need to replenish their supplies. Hadrian and Ethan seemed to be busy elsewhere and Kendall did not mind going and doing a little shopping for the group. It would give him the chance to see more of the city.

Kendall was still a bit uneasy about being around the Vantha. It seemed like at every turn there was a man who looked like Kay'lan or someone in his family. Although he was sure his ex-fiance was still in Zeltiva but what if he had returned home? He just had to keep his wits about him. Even if Kay'lan was in the city. It would mean nothing now. Kendall's heart belonged to someone else and he knew he would never return to the Vantha even if he was able to regain his past form.

As the blond walked through the market, he thanked Ivak for the heat in his blood. He wondered how it compared to the gifts of the Vantha. Their marks caused the cold to wash over them as if it was a simple autumn breeze. His gift from Ivak worked in an opposite way, causing his body heat to raise to keep him warm. He wished that the rest of his group could share his warmth but his gift was not one he could share.

Kendall clearly stuck out as he walked through the market place. His more pale skin and blond hair stood in stark contrast to the Vantha walking about. While a season ago he might have found this a bit unsettling, now he just noted it as another happening in this strange tale that was becoming his life. He was not the only one who stuck out though and he could see this. There was a girl a bit ahead who seemed to be having trouble in the snow. He looked around, hoping that there was someone who the girl belonged to. It was clear to see that she was alone, or at least appeared to be. He could feel the feminine need to take care of a scared and seemingly frightened child nagging at him and in truth, he could not deny helping her. If she needed someone, he was happy to help.

Kendall walked up to the girl slowly. He had to remember that although he knew he would never dream of harming the girl, others often viewed men as a danger. He would still try though. There was no harm in trying. He walked slowly up to the girl before looking down at her. "Hey, are you okay?" It hurt to see the girl crying. He watched as she seemed to struggle to keep her hands warm. Kendall wished that he could have been in his original form, at least for this moment. "Why are you crying?" At first instinct he wanted to take her hands in his own to let the warmth of his skin bring the color back to her fingers. It seemed a bit inappropriate though. Especially with so many people around.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Growl on September 25th, 2011, 12:52 am

Heather watched as a tall, blonde-haired boy approached her. Her deep blue eyes settled on his own as her bottom lip trembled. Morwen please let up just a little. It's just too darn cold today, she thought as she forced herself to look up at the boy who was now towering over her. His shadow stretched across her body, casting it in a pale grey. She simply nodded her head as the wind swept her dirty blonde hair off her shoulders. "It's just so cold out today," Heather whispered through chattering teeth. "I just wish there was someplace warm to go. Or that, perhaps, Syna's sun would burn more intensely and warm this place up a bit. But Morwen does really love the cold, as do all of her creatures."

Heather fell silent after that as she pulled her cloak up a little higher. It did nothing to block out the cold, and another shiver shot down her spine. Her fingers were trembling, despite their being curled into the fabric, and her knuckles had grown white. The purple pigmentation that had lingered in her nails was spreading, winding its way down her slender fingers, as it sank towards her bones. She sniffed, trying to draw the mucus that was spilling down the inside of her nose back up as she glanced down at her feet, shuffling them uncomfortably as she wiggled her toes. She wished she could feel something, anything, in her extremities, but they had grown numb several minutes beforehand.

"I'm crying because I'm sad," Heather whispered, her words carried on the wind. "Don't you cry when you're sad?" she asked, as she looked back up Kendall and tilted her head slightly to the side, awaiting an answer. "Doesn't everybody cry when they're sad?"
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 25th, 2011, 1:14 am

Again, Kendall looked around hoping there was someone to claim the girl. He could not help but wonder how she ended up alone. Didn't she have a mother or someone to take care of her? Surely she had a home somewhere. "Are you lost?" He was trying his hardest to remain at a comfortable distance even if his more maternal instincts were screaming for him to get her somewhere safe and warm. "Yes, Avanthal is always quite cold it seems. Most people don't seem to mind it, although most people are Vantha and are marked by Morwen so they don't freeze." He bit his lip as he noticed he was rambling on to the girl.

"Sorry… were you here with someone? Your mother or your father?" He could not imagine the girl had come to the market alone. It seemed a little silly, even for a child. "I'm sure they are looking for you. Do you need help finding them?" Finding the parents would be good. He could hand her off to them and she would be safe. The issue there was finding them. If they were blonde her they would be significantly easier to find but they could have just as well had dark hair. Either way, he would help.

Kendall frowned slightly as he slowly knelt down next to the girl. "Yes, I cry when I am sad too. Why are you sad?" He felt awkward and he wanted to get her inside somewhere so she would not be exposed to the elements any longer. He worried about how the girl would react but he pulled his scarf from around his neck and held it out to her. He shivered slightly at the feeling of the cold running against his neck but with luck, his fiery body temperature would even that feeling out. "Here, I know it is not gloves or mittens but it will keep your hands warmer than nothing." He looked at her with a worried glance. He did not want to scare her but in the same stroke he did not want her to catch hypothermia. "I'm Kendall by the way." He held out a hand that was the girl's to take if she felt comfortable enough to shake it. "What is your name?" He smiled lightly at her, hoping that he could at least get her to go into a shop or a eatery. Once in there he would feel much more comfortable about her sitting and waiting for who ever she was looking for. "I promise I'm not going to hurt you but you need to get inside or you will get sick." He looked over to a Winterflame shop near by. One of their shops was bound to be the warmest.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Growl on September 26th, 2011, 12:42 am

Heather reluctantly took the scarf from Kendall, and wrapped it around her neck. "Thanks," she muttered as she shifted her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other, and quickly glanced at her surroundings, just to be sure that she was not around. She knew now, that she would have to get away from Kendall. She couldn't just stand there with him and let her catch up. She'd be caught far too easily then, and she didn't want to be caught. But she couldn't just tell Kendall that, and she was getting pretty cold. So she supposed, she'd just have to lie, and if she couldn't get Kendall to go away, she'd just have to take him with her.

"I was just playing hide and seek with a few friends," Heather explained. "I'm supposed to be hiding, but can't find a good place... I don't want to go into the menagerie, where they may not look because it smells so bad. But there are no good hiding places around here. Although, it does smell a lot better." The girl shrugged, hoping that Kendall would believe the lie, or at the very least, not question her if he didn't believe it.

"Maybe you could help me find a good indoor hiding place?" Heather asked. "Because then we could both get warm! And then, maybe, I won't be the first to be found again. That way I won't have to seek next round!" she suggested. "Or maybe I should just go hide inside somewhere, on my own. They may see you trying to hide me... and then find me first. And that would suck!" she cried as she scurried past Kendall towards the shops, kicking up snow as she ran. The scarf flying out on either side of her body as she moved. She better not find me, she thought, as she turned right, and hid behind the wall of one of the local shops. Because I don't want to be found. Not by her, or the guy with the girl's name.
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Kendall Saarinen on October 1st, 2011, 3:25 am

Kendall watched the girl curiously. She looked nervous, although most children would when talking with some man that they did not know. No talking to strangers and all that. He let his auristics fill his sight as he looked at her. As she spoke the colors of her aura seemed to change and twist to different colors. She was nervous but not in the way he had expected. He could not tell why exactly. Sadly, he was not skilled enough in auristics to tell too much from the auras. He could tell something was not right though.

When the girl ran off, Kendall began to walk after her. He was worried. He did not want people to think he was trying to hurt her or kidnap her. He did want to make sure she was safe though. If the girl froze and he could have helped her he would have felt guilty.

Walking quickly he followed her. He was unsure of her name since she did not give it out when he asked for it. He understood as much as to why she didn't give it out. It would have made things much easier for him though. Who knew how many people were in the markets?

"Hey, come back! I don't want you to freeze! I can help you!" He kept walking after her, trying to make sure he did not loose sight of the girl. Although he did not want to scare the girl, he let himself run after her, hoping to catch up.
OOCI left it open-ended since I didn't want to assume Ken caught up to her if you had other plans.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Growl on October 1st, 2011, 6:28 pm

Heather could hear Kendall calling to her from her hiding place, but chose not to move a muscle, or to call back to her in response. Instead, she simply stood with her feet planted in the ground, her teeth chattering as she looked all around her. She was certain that if she waited long enough, Kendall would give up her search and she could be on her merry way, but if that wasn't the case, Heather could always run off again.

After a few moments of looking and waiting, Heather noticed her. The girl's breath caught in her throat as her eyes grew wide. Her heart was hammering in her chest. What is she doing here? She can't be here! She shouldn't be here! The girl's mind screamed. I should have had a few more hours!

In a panic, Heather ran from her hiding place, and back in the direction she had just come from. She was kicking up piles of snow, as she frantically made her way back, glancing over her shoulder just to be sure she had seen what she had, and that she hadn't noticed her. She didn't want to be found, and really hoped that the woman would not start following her.

After a few moment's worth of running, Heather barreled into Kendall, and stumbled a few steps back, before falling onto her side. Her body sank into the snow, trembling as she looked up into a mane of blonde hair. "Sorry Kendall," she gulped, as she sprang to her feet and brushed the snow from her clothes. "I just saw the person who's it, and started running away. I don't want to be the first one found... sorry I ran into you," she stammered, as her eyes darted back and forth, nervously checking to be sure the coast was clear.

Maybe it would be best if I had him help, Heather thought, as she took a moment to catch her breath, before offering her hand, and then thinking better of it. She forced her right hand into Kendall's and gave him a little tug. "Oh please help me not be found first! I hate being it! I always have to look for everyone for ages! I'm so bad at seeking. Please help me!" she cried as she gave him another tug, and began to march in the opposite direction of her former hiding place.

OOCAnd it gets worse...
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Kendall Saarinen on October 4th, 2011, 5:11 am

Kendall looked all around him for the girl. He searched for that guilty aura he had seen earlier when she was speaking to him. He was surprised to see when it spiked with the colors of fear and the girl dashed out from hiding. He was surprised none the less when the girl ran into his legs and toppled over. He was not sure what was going on with the girl but he needed to get to the bottom of it.

"Are you okay? Let me help you up." Kendall held out his hand to the girl. He often worried about letting people have contact with him. There were so many reasons why. There had been Ageru, the Ranuri kelvic who had read Kendall's desires. There was also the more pressing matter of the fact a fire burned under his skin thanks to his connection to Ivak. It caused his touch to be much hotter than others. Of course, that could only help the girls freezing hands.

"It's okay. It was just a mistake. Right?" When the girl forced her hand into Kendall's he shivered at the sheer cold of her skin. Most people's skin felt cold to him but her's was like ice. "Um… okay. Where do you think you should hide? Maybe in a store where it is warmer?" He was not sure what was going on with the girl but he could play along until he found out.

Kendall urged her toward a store that seemed to be a bakery. "How about in here? I'm sure there are some shelves or drapes you can hide under."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Growl on October 4th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Heather nodded as she gave Kendall's hand another forceful tug. "Come on, before they find me Kendall!" she called as she marched the two of them onward, glancing over her shoulder from time to time to see if anyone was following.

Thank goodness no one was.

When Kendall pointed out the bakery, a wide smile crossed her lips. She would never think to look for her in a bakery. She hated bakeries. And baked goods, and anything and everything smothered in chocolate or frosting. She always said it would make you fat if you had too many, so she never ate them herself. Or let Heather have any, no matter how much she begged.

"That's a great idea Kendall!" Heather exclaimed, as she tugged the blonde boy towards the door. She pushed it open with her free hand, and felt a gust of warm air overcome her, carrying the scent of sugar and cinnamon. "It's nice in here Kendall..." she commented, as she pulled the two of them inside, and let the door roll shut on its hinges.

Heather looked around the bakery. There was a counter from which the owner and his workers took orders, and a long display case crafted of glass next to it. The case was filled with pastries of all different shapes and sizes- everything a little kid could dream of and more. "Wow," was all the little girl whispered as her eyes bugged out. She couldn't so much as begin to take it all in for awhile.

Finally she spoke, "where do you think I should hide Kendall?" she asked, finally taking in a few wooden tables with chairs.
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Kendall Saarinen on October 12th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Kendall was happy that the girl was agreeing to go inside. At least now she would not freeze. He smiled nervously as the girl tugged him along. "Okay, I'm coming." He watched her as she pulled, letting her aura attract his eyes again. He needed to figure out more about the girl but how?

The colors seemed slightly nervous as they walked. It was clear she was truly trying to hide but he doubted it was just from a few friends. "So…, where are these friends of yours? I have not seen any kids your age running around the market." He worried that the question would scare her away again but he needed to know. He knew if he had a child of his own and they were lost he would have been worried sick if they were lost this long.

Kendall looked around the store when Heather asked where she should hide. He did not want to instruct her to hid anywhere that could get her in trouble. The last thing he needed was to get this kid farther from her parents or even get them in trouble. He eyed a table to the edge of the store. It looked sturdy enough and there was a tablecloth hanging over top of it. It was better than nothing, especially because it was a show table and not one where people would be shoving their legs under. "How about under that table with the bread on top of it?" He supposed if she agreed to hide there he could take up a near near the table and keep an eye on her from there. Still, he needed answers. What if the girl was into something more dangerous than just losing her parents? That was ridiculous though… wasn't it?
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook