Signs in the Mist: Part I: TEAM SURVIVORS

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Archelon on November 3rd, 2011, 6:05 am

oocContinued from first thread...
ATTENTION: TEAM SURVIVORS:
Participants: Shai, Tikon, Lyth, and Zandelia

The rooftops were soon a very dangerous place for shai and the rest, a series of grey ghosts were whirling about them, pushing them slightly, taunting them as they sought to bring them down off the roofs. Yes, the rooftops were a dangerous place, not only for their usually shoddy construction in the boroughs of the ‘Berth but also in their affinity for high places. To the Craven, Fleshlings did not belong on the rooftops, or in the sky. They belonged deep within the earth, dead and buried and slaughtered and maimed for all their juices to feed the plants, and their fleshy organs to feed the animals.

To the Craven’s views: that was where the Fleshlings belonged.

Dead, Deader than dead, and something that even Time forgot.

But soon enough as the four were pressed back to back, waving their claws, and weapons blindly into the dark shrouds that threatened to bear them down another ghost made its presence known. A presence that came with all the swiftness of a hammer of Izurdin to side of a mortal’s face!(okay not really :P). Through great swings the hammer began to pierce the clouds, bowling the Craven far and wide like golf balls towards distant parts of the city and the four would soon find themselves alone save for the image of one ghostly woman, seemingly out of breath as the hammer dissipated into nothing as she stood there breathing deeply a moment as her ghostly words came out in gasps that were a mile a minute.
" River Island. Key. Need Help. Fleshlings. Go. Get Key. Take to Temple. You four help , please? Danger, great danger. City. Destroyed. People Killed, Unless. Find. Must get. You go. Rewarded. You shall be. Beware Dangers though. Craven. Craven not good! Bad craven. They’d Hurt you all if they could. Go. You .Must. I Beg You. Find Key take to Temple.”

Straightening up to take a deep breathe Lucerne would squeeze her eyes shut and smack her ghostly cheeks a little to compose herself before floating serenely once more, ”I’m sorry that was uncharacteristically rude of me, Fleshlings to not speak so you could understand me. There’s great dangers about. Big danger. Danger I can’t even explain to you all yet but it could wipe out the entire town! We need help from you fleshlings! There’s a Key by the river Islet, Take it to the Temple Quick. We have to stop this… We’ll make sure you’re rewarded, I promise you that. Beware the greys, they’re Craven. Dangerous They’ll stop at nothing to help this town be obliterated!”

A look of concern flashed across the young woman’s face as her eyes looked through the heavy mist towards a point in the far off distance… “Ohhh!! There’s another group of you fleshlings in trouble. Just help! Please! I beg you all! Just get the Key to the Temple. You’ve already been targeted by the Craven, they’ll find you all even if you’re hiding. Just please help!” A plaintive whine came to her voice a little as she pouted out the last of her words.“Ohh, If I knew this was going to be so much work I would have stayed home today!”

Without another word the ghost of Lucerne turned from the party and ran to vault off the roof before she flashed out of existence. A short time later she appeared above the roof of another house nearby, and then another, and then another before she receded from sight. The party was left with her words, an enigma, and a warning of further dangers brewing. But would they heed her words to face the perils of their task? Only time would tell…

By the riverside... River Isle Ruins/(location is still being worked on, you’ll be the first here. AKA=-= I’m making this up on the spot XD. :P)

Down by the riverside, south of Robern’s rotting mansion, a small island in the midst of the river, covered in thickets and brush lay dormant and unwelcoming towards any foot slogging trespassers though fisherman and beggars sometimes feasted on the blueberries gained from bushes on its shores. It was a small isle, barely three hundred feet across and six hundred feet in length and at its highest point on a fifty foot hill an old stone monument of a circle of stones lay covered in moss choked scrawlings and sigils. Most of the city would not dare to trespass upon the soil around it, thinking it to be the grave of some abomination held over from the ancient era. Others merely thought it was a way to mark a passing of the seasons, or a calendar from the time before the watchtowers flared. Some still merely viewed it as some ancient artist’s work, trying to make a name for himself.

Whatever the case may be; it’s presence was a sight to traveling river boaters bringing crops from the fields to the market and then to the docks for shipping elsewhere.

But in the mists, grey ghosts passed, and some of the vegetation began to wilt and blacken to dust. If they looked close enough would see a small stone bridge make its way out towards the island as the waters inextricably were forced away as the bridge rose out of the river’s surface.

Amidst the stone ring the ground moved as a gauntleted hand thrust itself up into the night as the earth began to move. Slowly a golem, in green armor unearthed itself from the mire and the muck which held it to stand amidst the night. From the waters surrounding the island a hissing of reptiles and snakes could be heard as they began to slither upwards towards the bridge… their eyes glowing faintly as they spat venom at each other, and hissed their unpleasantness as the largest ones hissed them forwards to take guard around the statue upon the top hill.

Together, the mighty slithering forms began to rise together and the largest of them wriggled, it’s eyes blank as it began to take a dhani’s form. The grey ghost inside it beginning to force its newly possessed body to mutate and change as the head of its dhani began to elongate to include the hood of a snake.

Player Notes:
Whew ^-^ That was a long haul to read all that, but I’m caught up to here on grading this thread in progress . Anyways. OBJECTIVE TIME:

It’s really pretty simple: Take your respective groups and get to the respective locations while encountering any troubling ghosts, or possessed people or craven. Remember: the Lodestar ghosts won’t actually hurt you, just try to keep you away from the temple before the keys are delivered there ^-^. The real problem will be all the nasty little grey ones that just want you all dead . Have fun, and remember: also you should have fun
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shai on November 3rd, 2011, 2:23 pm

How had this happened? The roofs were always safest in the past. But the roofs had become far worse than the ground ever could have been. Shai would have been fine, there was no doubt she could keep her footing but Tikon and Zandelia couldn’t possibly have much experience on the roofs. The ghosts following them had not been part of Shai’s plan but it was too late to worry about failed plans. Instead it was just about time for them to get back off the roofs when all the ghosts were tossed aside by another specter’s hammer. It seemed like an ominous sign that a worse ghost had appeared. Only this ghost spoke? Great more ghostly speeches. . . A key? Well if it would stop the ghosts and bring this insanity back down to Sunberth’s normal levels Shai was willing to do it. As the woman repeated herself, Shai eased out of her defensive crouch to stand upright.

The thief recalled seeing an island in the middle of the river; she’d only caught brief glimpses in the night and had dismissed it for a sandbar. But from what ghost said this island was much more significant and apparently the key was to be found there. Very well, from their position their best bet was to move west and approach the island through the slums. Except of course for the hitch, Shai had never seen any way to get onto the little piece of land and the thief couldn’t swim. So since the island had looked closer to the Daggerhand side of the river the group would need to cross the bridge to the other side and find a way across. Maybe they could commandeer a river boat. But first the group needed to get off the roof before the ‘Craven’ returned. “I think, perhaps, it is best we relocate to the ground. I think I know where the island is she spoke of but we can discuss that when you’ve all got surer footing.” Shai tossed herself over the edge of the building like she had hundreds of times before and scaled down the wall. Something about having a concrete task to accomplish let Shai push her fear into a dark corner of her mind for another time. Now, there was a job to do and she intended to see it done so these damned ghosts would get the petch out of her life.

Shai stood back from the side of the building and watched to make sure her companions managed to return to street level without injury. Speaking in hushed tones as the group reassembled at ground level Shai outlined what little she knew of the island, “It lies in the river between the Dagger hand Territory and the Sunset Quarter; I think the best way to get to it would be from the north side. Assuming that we all agree to do this of course?” Shai added the question as a clear after thought in her mind it took little thought, a reward and the end of these ghosts was more than enough to get the spider headed for a nearby location.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on November 3rd, 2011, 11:57 pm

Zandelia’s life was taking a very unpleasant and psychotically violent turn for the worse now, she knew that well enough as she battled against enemies that she could barely see and was suspecting she could not harm in any conventional manner. At first their group had fanned out, spreading their skirmishes so as to gain more room for maneuverability upon the smallish rooftop they had sequestered themselves upon. It had taken much time and effort on the part of them all to get where they had thought safety would be gained, but now their work had been undone and proven to be for naught – the dangers far greater a threat to their lives when they could merely fall tot heir dooms. She had battled back in earnest at first, whirling her tonfa about her body in varying patterns, smacking out at the wisps and shadows, spinning her weapons into the ghostly mists. For her troubles she merely got a number of bruises and cackling laughs shrieked into her ears as her enemies hammered back.

It was not long before they were all forced upon their back feet, their backs now jostling against each other as their spread out group contracted into a tight nucleus of fearful and frantic flailing. They were consigned to failure, she knew it well though had little heart to voice such considerations. If this was to be their last moments, and she suspected they would be, then at least they would die with some dignity.

“Petching bastards!” she screamed out loud, only to have giggling and unnaturally pitched howls thrown back at her.

It was then that their salvation was given to them, their enemies breaking and scattering to the four winds with violent growl and skittering, chittering promises of return. As the turbulent moments passed and tranquillity reigned in its place once more their saviour was placed before them – a ghostly woman of indeterminate years. She was exhausted, shown by her panting, and that in itself was of much interest to Zandelia – never having met a ghost let alone having pondered if they were even prone to tiredness. AS she listened she could not help but try and work out how a ghost needed to breathe and rest when it had no physicality to it. This was so much so that she did not, at first, assimilate what was being said to her.

What the hell is she talking about?! Who the hell is she?! What the PETCH am I doing here?? she screamed inside her head, her thoughts trying vainly to keep up with reality, which at that moment seemed to be falling apart at the seams for her, in ways she could barely comprehend.

“What the bloody hell is going on?” she managed to get out in wonderment and exasperation as she locked her single emerald green eye to the ghostly woman’s form as it shimmered and faded in and out of her mortal perspective.

Her words were not answered by one of their party at least, Shai swinging herself over the edge of the rooftop without ceremony or hesitation, on her way back to the ground and its solidity. Zandelia could not blame her really, her own instincts urging her to follow suit – though not in the same manner. Instead she made her way to the crates they had used to get to their elevated position and leapt, bounded and jumped from the top of each in a stepping stone manner until her boots thudded heavily upon the ground once more. Straightening her self she looked around and saw Shai approach her, words issuing from her lips as easily as if she had seen nothing out of the ordinary at all. Zandelia had to smile at that, the practicality of those who liked to focus upon tasks rather than problems, the certain over the unknown. Zandelia liked problems, however, and the poser she had been dealt was most troubling to her.

Still, great challenges bring substantial rewards she thought to herself as she laid aside her investigative and intelligence seeking mannerisms for the moment in order to deal with their situation.

“You know, if this were the bloody stories I’d expect a damsel in distress and a knight in shining armour. So either Tikon is hiding something under his robes or those bloody things are a load of petching rubbish” she spoke out with a small chuckle. Her comment was pointless, but it brought a touch of humour to a dire time and bought her a few moments of consideration.

“Still, the Islet’s as good a place to go as any. I wouldn’t be so eager if I were you though Shai. You seriously think that in an evening when we’ve been attacked by ghosts, saved by another ghost and then told there’s a key we need to get to the Temple of the Unknown that we won’t probably get cut to bits?” she stated out loud simply enough.

“I fear that this night we will see much we wish we had never seen and that we have been asked to meddle in things we cannot comprehend. So, we’re doing what humans do best!” she chortled at the end before straightening her robes, pulling her hood back up onto her head – her smile disappearing into its depths.

Craven she called them, the Craven. Interesting. The dead and buried, the violently vengeful. I wonder if that means there are others like the one who saved us? Spectres of reason and intelligence? I would bet many a miza that they could teach me much indeed she thought to herself, always one to try and see advantage in everything.

“Tikon! Lyth! Looks like we’ve been drafted as Sunberth’s last dying hope. If I were a betting woman I’d probably bet against us. Still, what say you? In or out?” she asked them both at the same time.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lyth on November 5th, 2011, 2:53 am

The rooftops had seemed safer than the open streets below, in theory, but now that he was standing atop them, he was reminded why he had chosen to walk the streets in the first place. It was just too easy to misplace a step and fall through, or off the roof. This was made even worse by the fact that the group couldn't see where they stepped, on top of which the spiteful ghosts pushed and prodded them closer to the edges. Swinging claws and weapons at the shadowy masses seemed to have little, if any, effect on the cackling apparitions, continuing their assault on the group until they were dangerously close to toppling off the edge of the building.

Lyth felt the little hope and sanity he had been clinging on to starting to waver, wondering if it was better just to jump now, attempting to land on his feet, than be pushed over sideways. He wasn't made to follow through with his choice, as another ghost joined in the fray, driving the shadows back. She was painted in white, speaking in broken sentences as she caught her breath. (It wouldn't be until much later that the thought of a ghost breathing would strike him as odd.) The ghost was tasking their small group to search for and find a key to bring back to the temple. That didn't seem too difficult a task, though there were any number of obstacles that would be thrown in their way. The...craven would be the worst hindrance.

First, he figured, they should probably move off the roof, the motion began by one of the females. Soon after, the half-blood stepped down by the crates stacked against the wall, coming to stand beside his companions. His initial instinct was to leave, go home, and hopefully forget this night had ever happened. However, if what the ghost had said was true, than he'd be putting his life in the hands of those here. He didn't trust them to get the job done.
"Of course I'm coming." he answered, grinning widely. "If we don't try, we end up dead anyway, right?"
Lyth
Player

Words: 35506
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 6:43 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Tikon on November 6th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Team Survivors: Tikon, Shai, Zandelia and Lyth

If ever there was a time to start killing things mercilessly it was right now. But it was apparent to him that he couldn’t adequately strike out against anything and it would seem that these ‘ghosts’ and ‘shadows’ would only harass him. But what purpose did that really serve? They were trying to throw him off!! YES! That was it they were trying to unnerve him in hopes that he would make a foolish mistake and slip up; and then they would act! He was careful to be well aware of his footing and stature while on these roofs. If he was not he was sure that he would fall…likely to his death as well. Unlike Shai he didn’t have the luxury of simply running up walls. And such…still a trick he wanted Shai to teach him…wasn’t that why he had come here in the first place?

A ghost appeared and he FROZE where he stood knowing well that a ghost that appeared ant spoke was likely only bringing trouble…or information. He hoped it brought information on now to stop this entire crazy night and the insanity that came with the fog. The one thing that stuck out in his mind was the mentioning of a key. What could a simple key have to do with all of this? Then it hit him; nothing tonight was going to be simple or easy. There was an island involved…that sure didn’t seem to make things any easier for him…especially since he didn’t know how to swim at all. He never had a reason to learn how to. But now he was wishing he had taken lessons or something of the like. That way he could swim to the island and not have to worry about securing a boat. But then again who knew what things lurked in the water waiting for them to cross. A boat was a good idea.

Zandelia’s questions about their current situation only made him that much more uncomfortable. He watched the woman make her way to the ground and he followed without some of the same grace as her but in the end all that mattered was that he got to the ground where he was more comfortable with his footing. He was only thinking about the roof because it was supposedly safe…but now that it wasn’t…well his plans changed. He didn’t want to be on them anymore. Hr sure as hell couldn’t fight while standing on it. He was sure any major altercation on the roof would lead to him falling off of it and killing himself. Her comment made him smile as he pulled back his shadowsilk robe and flexed one of his massive arms with a smile.

“I think I am a little too built to be a simple white knight. I’d crush the poor lass as I rescued her frail form!” He said with a smile and a little touch of his own humor…that made him feel better. But it didn’t take away from the seriousness of the situation. They were going to have to cross water and likely fight off these…things as well.

“Sounds like a bet your short friend would make, but he stands to make no money on our passing tonight. I am in.” He said with a smile as he readied himself for the plans that were likely already laid ahead of them.

He was not a plotting type, no but Shai and Zandelia were. They had plans he was sure. “I agree, I will not die a coward!” He nodded to the group and then spoke again.

“How do you plan to get to that…island. I know that dressed in this armor I will be unable to swim…if I even knew how to swim in the first place.”
When I write in red my character is talking Isur
When I write in yellow I am talking in Common

Character Sheet
Tikon
Player

Words: 17516
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Zandelia on November 7th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Zandelia smiled at the small Isur, glad to know that at least another was keeping some good humour about the situation the four of them had been thrown into all but unwittingly. In all her days she could not muster a memory within which she had been at the same time both helpless and unknowing of what she was supposed to be doing. In the back of her mind she was aware that her logical self was shouting at her to leave them all, strike out on her own and try and get back to her tent to weather whatever storm was about to come. Still, there was no way back and after the experiences of the last hour or so she was willing to act upon a little faith. If going to the islet would keep her in a group then that was all well and good to her. Still, she knew she would regret the inevitable decision no matter what happened.

A secret quest, without explanation, to retrieve an unknown key from a place that is difficult to get to? If one of us doesn’t die I’ll be very surprised she thought to herself darkly.

“Well Tikon, whilst I don’t know exactly how heavy you are I’d still be keen to see a woman who would be smashed by you around here. You’d have to make a good job of it too or you’ll have a woman scorned after you. Nasty things they are” she responded with a warm slice of unfelt joviality.

“As to the way we get to the islet, I’m thinking that the way will be made clear to us,” she continued out loud, her voice going thoughtful now, “though stealing a boat shouldn’t be all too hard. I don’t imagine that many people will be out to stop us this night” she finished, laying out one possible method of entry to them.

“At any rate, I say we get going or we’ll never get there and I don’t want those Craven things coming back to assault us. The next time I would imagine it would be too much to ask for a second saviour” she spoke out, suiting her words by setting off at a slow walk so as to allow the others to think for a few moments before catching up to her.

Her strides were measured, purposeful in their attempt to make as little noise as possible. Her Shadowsilk Robes were a good start at muffling what noises she was making, their fabric designed purely for stealthy pursuits, however she was not willing to take any chances on the way – not when she had almost died once already in one evening. She could hear the others catching up to her, their own steps decidedly softer than they had been before and even their breathing seeming to be done with caution. As she came to a corner to peer around it, out of habit mostly – not that she expected to be able to see anything at any rate – she leant her back to it and thought of how the next hour or two might unfold for their little troupe. Whilst her words had been a tad optimistic, inside she was feeling a deep sense of foreboding. It was not so much an inherent trait that all people seemed, usually making itself known when they knew they were being watched. No, it was something else, something far more primal.

Danger comes, that much we have been told. But which danger, and why? Those are the things that trouble me. Sunberth is a ramshackle driftwood based city. There’s nothing here in abundance except viciousness. Why would anything wish to attack it? she mused to herself as, satisfied the street was empty she curled around the corner and looked back to see if the others were with her or not. A few feet in she stopped and leant into the shadows of the wall to her left.

“Right, there are a couple of possible routes and I’m not bloody deciding it by myself,” she set out the suggestions with the sense it should be a group decision, “we can either skirt the river line on this side, which would involve being closer to Daggerhand territory, and in fact going through it towards the end. Or, we can cross the river and take a safer route through the slums and orphanage area” she finished in a practical tone of voice.

“I suppose we could try and find a boat closer to the markets and then row the river to this islet, but I’m not even sure that’s a possibility. Either way we’ll probably meet people out of their mind or looking for easy prey in the mist. Now, I don’t mind going through Daggerhand lands, I do it all the time. But I think decisions tonight should be communal. We’re all risking our necks here” she stated, looking to each of them with her single piercing eye to make sure they knew the truth of that and what it implied – it worked both ways after all.

I just hope we can hold ourselves together. As they say in the stories, we will either forge a bond or shatter to the winds. As long as we stay alive the harder it becomes, apparently she thought privately as she watched them muse upon the choices that lay ahead.

“I, personally, vote for Daggerhand or boat if we see one. The less time we spend on this escapade the better as far as I’m concerned. But if you all wish for the safer option then so be it” she lay down her decision before them, waiting for their own to be made.

She just hoped that the islet that was their destination would prove to point out the key they were supposed to gather with considerable ease.

oocRight there team, I just thought that I would use Shai's draft map to set up some routes for us. Either way I'm thinknig we throw i some crazy warriors, a few more Craven and perhaps a whistling satyr if we can get one :P

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on November 15th, 2011, 2:07 am

“We can have this communal talk while we are walking. I, for one, want to be over the bridge before those Craven come back. If they were to push someone off we might never see them again. There is no reason to believe the Daggerhand side of the river will be any more dangerous than the Sunset side. Desperate, crazy humans will be on both sides.” Shai looked at them once before turning and walking towards the corner of the building. If she recalled correctly from her original arrival and their orientation to where the temple ought to be if they could see it, then she was now facing the Sunset Quarter. Alternatively behind her would be the plazas and the bridge into the storehouses. “Aside from that even if we choose the wrong side there is a bridge down by the island. We can navigate between the sides if necessary.”

“I say we start moving. Standing around won’t help us any.” Shai thought over again what Zandelia had said, “Also any boat we find will probably belong to the Daggerhands anyways, so you should probably prepare yourselves for the eventuality that we will be indefinitely borrowing from one of the controlling syndicates. And if we don’t find a boat we can take someone’s door and make due.” She couldn’t think of anything else worth adding that she didn’t mind any looming ghosts hearing. So the spider slipped around the corner of the building. Her hand was still visible holding on to the corner so it wasn’t entirely unexpected when she popped her head back around and looked at the other three. “Well are you coming?”

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on November 19th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Zandelia merely looked at both Lyth and Tikon, shaking her head and grunting a few times in consternation as Shai merely walked off, leaving them to either follow her or risk her being harmed by something unexpected within the curling mists blanketing the streets. She was a younger woman, Zandelia knew this, however she could not accept recklessness when lives were in danger – specifically her own. It was foolhardy, in her view, to keep walking and talking in a situation when sound was the only warning they would have of potential ambush and assault. By heading off and speaking candidly of their plans into the mists, despite its sound dampening qualities, Shai was risking them all for naught but her own brashness. To that effect Zandelia played her part by keeping silent as she caught up to the Symenestran, motioning for the others to be quiet also with a finger to her mouth.

You can lead us if you wish Shai, for now, however the manner of your leading will be of my own choosing. Talk all you wish, it will only mean you are the target of attack rather than myself she growled to herself mentally, her thoughts dark and temptestuous but firmly restrained. It would not do to loose control in their current, and tenuous, situation.

“Some need to learn the hard way, the lesson always swift and blunt in action” she muttered to herself as she ghosted through the darkness a good few feet behind Shai, Lyth level with her upon the other side of the street and Tikon yet another few feet behind them both, taking up the rear guard position.

She had put them in that order for good reason as they had set off in chase of Shai, both of them suited for their roles. Tikon was a warrior by nature she knew, strong and sturdy but in need of direction at times. He would do well watching their backs, guarding the three of them from a rear assault long enough for support to arrive in the counter attack. Lyth was much like herself, as far as she could tell. He was lithe and small but held daggers as weapons she had noted. It suggested professions of a more unsavoury nature then herself, but made an important point in that he would not do overly well in direct conflict. Daggers made poor weapons against more heavily armoured men. Thus he was a flanker in nature for their quest this evening, set to the side and ready to swoop in with swift death to any whom were already engaged with either Tikon of Zandelia. Shai, however, was being treated more as the unknowing scout than anything in Zandelia’s mind. She made good plans but seemingly knew little of patience and practicality.

Still, useful in her own way indeed. She will be able to handle herself whilst the rest of us use her as distraction for our own attacks perhaps she mused to herself as an evil smile came to her lips at the irony of the whole group dynamic.

“GET HER!” came the shout from up ahead, Zandelia only wondering at how long it had taken for anyone to notice their group, with Shai at the head of the diamond positioning.

Four men rushed out of the mists, two coalescing rapidly close to Shai and to either side of her at that. Shai seemed momentarily frozen, surprise perhaps taking a hold upon her as if ghosts had just sprung into existence – an adequate description of the appearance of the street thugs in front of them all now. Still, Shai was capable of fighting back and as such Zandelia merely concentrated on the floating grey, looking for any others that might arrive as she sprinted up the left side of the street, Lyth following her pace upon the right, and ran to meet the assailants with her tonfa in right hand and her elft hand free, for now. The two before her were concentrating upon Shai as she snuck up behind them as quickly as possible, her knees bent and body lower than their normal viewing range. It was only at the last minute that one caught sight of her and turned to confront her – but only in time to get the spring blade from her left wrist rammed into his solar plexus, piercing vital organs and wrenching them to pieces as she twisted her arm from being palm upwards to palm downwards and pulled back a step. She pulled her other tonfa from its holster and settled into a defensive stance as the dead man’s compatriot now ignored Shai and took a great deal of interest in Zandelia.

“Come and get me then” she smirked at the man, aware he could not see her face through her hood but the tone cutting and all but inviting him to act brashly.

She could not keep track of what was happening on the other side of the street, the mists beginning to separate the two groupings of people as effectively as if a curtain had been drawn between them, the tendrils of grey snaking into all unoccupied space with a seeming alien sentience. Still, she could hear grunts and the ring of steel on steel and hoped that all was well, confident that Tikon and Lyth could despatch two thugs fairly easily when forced to do so. Still, she could not help but feel a semblance of responsibility for those she would be working with and looked forwards to seeing her assumptions proven as fact once the fight was fully finished.

oocWell, Tikon and Lyth didn;t respond so Shai and myself have pushed things forwards a little bit now to keep things rolling. Hope you all like

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on January 16th, 2012, 4:54 am

oocThis thread has taken forever; lyth seems to be inactive, Zand's computer is broken, and Tikon's writer isn't writing for him right now. So, I am running away with the thread to get it down and out of danger as per Turtle's warning in the OOC thread. Feel free to meet up with Shai any where along the way if you come back though.
Shai rounded the corner and came face first with the two thugs. Her shock lasted only a tick before she jerked into moment. Swiping out at the nearest brute, the spider pulled no punches and raked her claws across the man’s eyes. In her nail’s path she felt the constant slick resistance she had come to associate with flesh but the texture changed momentarily; for the briefest second she thought something had intercepted her attack but the pressure gave in much the same way as if someone pierced a plum. The moment the organ was punctured she met no further resistance; she suspected the man now had at least one less eye. Regardless of the damages done, the man had moved to clutch at the wound and the Symenestra woman took her advantage. Pulling her left hand into combat she shoved up into the soft skin beneath the man’s neck and hooked her claws against his jaw, grinding on bone. Normally there was pressure point in that area but she had forgone anything nearly as subtle. Forcing his chin up with leverage she slashed at his throat with her free hand. That would surely end that engagement.

Woodenly Shai realized she had forgotten about the second tough, fortunately he had been more interested in Zandelia than taking his chances with the overly focused spider. Turning to assist her companions the spider got tangled in the downed man’s limbs and tripped. Following forward she reacted to the awkward slow tumble. Curling inwards she rolled sideways as she hit the ground. She probably only traveled a couple of meters but in this fog it was enough; she’d lost sight of the others. Oddly enough it was quiet, they must have already dispatched the others… she thought as she groped for the nearest wall. Eventually finding purchase against a solid wood grain Shai tried to discern her surroundings.

Mist, and mist, ah is that fog? Oh no that’s more mist. She thought sarcastically to herself, having learned her lesson with the thugs to keep her mouth shut. Creeping along the buildings, she did her best to keep her footfalls silent. She didn’t know how Craven found victims but until she was located the spider would do her best to avoid detection. In her attempted silence the thief could hear the first soothing sound of the night; the river and she was close. Gingerly speeding up her steps the Spider headed for the river and as luck would have it she would find the river’s bank and the bridge in the same small parting of the mist. This was the crossing that had made her so nervous earlier, the craven hadn’t returned yet and she didn’t intend to give them the chance to catch her half way across. The spider took a single steadying breath and then sprinted as fast as her legs would allow across the bridge.

She was on the down slope on the other side of the bridge before things began to go wrong. Normally the bridge was packed with bodies; thugs extorting a crossing toll and pick pockets making their daily change. But tonight, the bridge was empty and the feathering of swift steps echoed unnaturally for a Sunberth avenue. The air seemed to grow cold at Shai’s back before the impossible push came, clear impressions of hands freezing against her skin clothed skin. Turning her final stride into a leap from the bridge onto solid earth. Hazarding a brief glance behind her the spider tried to glean the source of her momentum though in truth her fears had already answered that question. Curiously the space behind her was empty; more than enough evidence the Craven had located her. Spinning back around she was confronted face on by one, before she could think she ducked low avoiding it’s strike and ran.

Shai ran following the contours of the river, she knew roughly where she was by the distance she run from the bridge. It would be soon but the Craven didn’t seem to need to follow logic, they could disappear behind her and reappear before her. It was becoming difficult to dodge around them especially with the narrowing walk-way that meant she was entering dagger hand territory. The very last thing she needed was—Oh, wait. the epiphany hit her like running head long into a brick wall.

This needed to end, she wouldn’t be able to keep up this chase much longer she was never renowned for her running. The only time you ever need a Sunberth thug and there’s none to be found . Shai huffed, her breathing getting away from her; she tried to only pull air in through her nose and exhale by her mouth. It was supposed to help but the pattern was incredibly difficult to maintain while running for one’s life.

They came out of nowhere; materializing out of the mist. At first, Shai took them for more Craven. Diving far to the group’s left she went into a head long tumble. But these specters didn’t continue after her they only watched. These mist wraiths weren’t ghosts at all, they were humans. Daggerhands, she would wager, even in this weather territory was still significant to gangs. Shai slithered into a shadow a few feet further from the troop, they were nothing but shadowed silhouettes in the mist from this distance and she but a crouching figure in the shade of a crate. When they began to jerk and call out angrily, Shai grinned in heartless elation; the Craven had found a new target. With no further pause for the plight of the toughs the spider fled onwards. If the crates and Daggerhand guards were anything to go by she must be passing one of their smuggling docks.

Slowing her speed to a manageable trot, though she desperately wanted to walk, Shai tried to keep herself alert. She knew she was almost there and it would be time to find a way across the river soon. Creeping down the filthy bank, Shai tried not to think about what sort of muck she might be stepping in. She’d need to find that dock again and ‘borrow’ a row boat. As the spider looked around trying to see the nearest man-made structure he eyes caught a strange shadow looming in the distance. It looked vaguely like a bridge the only catch was she should have past both of the bridges by now, she couldn’t be positive of her location though not in these conditions. So gingerly hopping from rock to rock whenever possible the thief made her way towards the structure.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on March 3rd, 2012, 7:38 pm

Zandelia soon found out just how well founded her fears had been, the group quickly splintering and becoming lost in the thick haze of enigma that swamped the streets of Sunberth. Leadership demanded strength, willpower and authority and the little coterie had been given none of those things. Directionless they had separated at a time when their unscathed survival depended upon staying close, becoming a nucleus of safety within the storm of uncertainty. Now, alone and facing an unknown number of assailants beyond the man in front of her Zandelia could only curse herself for indulging one of her own sins – complacency. She had taken it for granted that under Shai’s leadership they would face tribulation before learning from the mistake, but still remain bound together and strong. She had been wrong, and now she would be punished for her hubris.

I should’ve just slapped her down and taken command from the damned beginning! If I ever find her I’ll dump her into the bloody river by the scruff of her neck! she cursed herself privately as she circled around the man, his body facing her continually, eyeing the tonfa that were spinning and twirling in her deft hands.
The confrontation was destined to be a short one, however, on which Zandelia was sure to soon forget on a specific level. The thug charged in as Zandelia let her guard slip momentarily, a feint that seemed to open up her mid-section for a killing thrust, her tonfa opening just a little too far compared to the intricate weaving over the previous few minutes. It was a simple matter bat the blade to her left as she flowed to her right the second weapon lashing out to smash upon his temple with the force of a horse’s kick. She smiled as the man slumped forwards a little only to be met with her knee rising upwards, the sickening thud of flesh upon bone finally bringing an end to his consciousness. Still, of rood measure she stamped upon the back o his neck, the cracking sound gruesomely expunging the flame of his life. It was only then, when all was still and another assault was non-existent, that she noticed what he was wearing.

Daggerhand, oh by Akajia I’m glad no one knows this little encounter she thought to herself as she threaded her tonfa back into their sashes and she3 whipped her gaze around in the gloomy fog, seeking for prying eye. Finding none she let out a small sigh of relief before crouching down to sift through his belongings. A purse she grabbed and secreted about her person, along with another dagger for future purposes – an apt tribute.

“Right, now to get the bloody hell out of here and try to find the others. They will know where to go, if they haven’t got turned about” she muttered as she slunk off through the streets once more, taking more care to stick close to walls and cover where best she could do so. It was simple and careful journey to the wat3er’s edge, with only a backtrack or two to make sure she was heading in the right direction. Her days as a word runner served her well as the sound of lapping water came sloshing through the darkness and the grey, her feet suddenly finding damper ground to tread upon, muffling her movements further.

A wooden pie began t coalesce in front of her and she crouched down onto her haunches, her head turning from side to side to discern if any thr3eat lay around her. Satisfied she began t edge closer to the construct, sure that a boat would be found within which to secrete herself and wait – for what, she did not know.

I can only hope she told herself with determination that was fast becoming her bedfellow.

It was only as the time passed, her cloak wrapped around her body to stave of the cold and damp in the small, miserable rowboat that Zandelia began to realize that she would be alone in the rest of the endeavor. She held no allegiance to this ghost whom had given her the quest, but the promises of reward rang true within her breast – she needed everything she could get to further her purposes. So it was, alone and fearful of glorious failure, that she began to put oar to water with uneven and un-practiced strokes. She was no sailor, had never been upon one of those craft dubbed ‘boat’. However, she was intelligent and grimly serious about getting her job completed. It took a long time, her sense of direction off and forcing her to stick closer to land than she would have liked, but she managed to limp her way towards the island. It was with some surprise that she ran aground, a footpath of land linking the island and the shore, juddering the boat to a halt and causing her to topple out of it and into the water’s edge.

“Damned boats and cursed water, ghosts, quests and all such stupidity. I had better get paid fucking well or I’m killing someone else” she grunted to herself as she picked herself up and tried to top shuddering.

She stamped her way towards the island itself and hoped it would all be worth the bother.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next