Location The Temple of Syna

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

The Temple of Syna

Postby Colombina on February 28th, 2010, 9:45 pm

The Temple of Syna

Carved into the stone lintel above the doors to the temple is a line in clear Arumenic:

"I believe in the soul in the same way I believe in the sun and moon. Not only that I see them, but because I see all things by them."

A translation in common has been graciously painted beneath the graven words, but it is easily overlooked as the visitor beholds the bronze doors with their elaborate relief of the appointment of Syna.
Six panels tell the story of Tanroa's walk amongst the heavens with Kihala and Dira carrying her train. The sacred goddesses speak of the lovers Leth and Syna, and the glory of each is shown: Syna's face cast in gold and Leth's silver countenance haloed with opalgloams and jet. Tanroa's hands spread over an empty expanse, placing a citrine and opal in their place, and the dark face of the world is illuminated.

Beyond the doors is a pillared courtyard, but in place of pillars the roof is held aloft by massive statues of Ethaefal or priestesses of Syna. The beautifully expressive statues raise their arms or bend their necks to bear the weight of their goddess's temple. In the center of the courtyard is an obelisk tiled in marble. ImageIts shadow marks the bell, and some say to stand in its shade brings blessing. Stone benches are scattered around the edges of the courtyard, kept company by pots of roses in all the heated colors of a desert sunrise.
The temple proper is housed in two tall structures flanking the entrance. Beyond the courtyard is the Sanctuary of the Fallen and rooms for meditation.

A honeycomb of small chambers for meditation are unofficially called "Syna's Jewel Boxes". The walls that face the rising and setting sun are stippled with colored glass from floor to ceiling. Worshippers sit in the airy rooms and let Syna's light cast beauty over them. Only an occasional chair or bowl of flowers inhabit the dazzling cloisters.

The Sanctuary of the Fallen is reserved for Ethaefal use alone and the one temple acolyte charged with its daily care. It sits on the third and uppermost level of Syna's Jewel Boxes. It has a space for worship and small, hidden rooms with beds for wandering Ethaefal to use as their own while passing through.
ImageThe space for worship is an atrium open to the sky with a mosaic floor depicting a brilliant sun reaching out to all living things. It is a place of peace and rest.

The Temple proper is two soaring and narrow chambers of elaborately carved stone and colored glass. The building are identical save the direction the windows face. Motifs of spheres shape the stained windows crescendoing up the walls, while the ceiling is a high relief of abstract blooming suns. Amidst the carvings are small skylights, turning the mute stone into a glowing homage.
Uncomfortably narrow staircases are built into the walls without glass. They lead up into small balconies where visitors can perch for a better view of the temple.
The floor is bare, encouraging worshippers to bring their own rugs. A few unfurl fabric on the ground and rest there, as if stargazing. In the very center of the floor is a gilded statue of the standing goddess, her hands outstretched to the east and west.

The artistry reminds inhabitants of the grace the city experienced in the Valterrian. The temple represents old, masterful work, spared the destructive breaking of the desert by being encased in sand and born anew. Many assert it was the hand of Leth that protected his lover's temple amidst the chaos, as little else could preserve something so well.
Depending on the position of the sun, either the eastern or western facing temple is open to visitors. Come sunset, all structures save the quiet courtyard and the Sanctuary of the Fallen are closed.

NPCS :
ImageAvior
A recent arrival to the temple, Avior replaced the previous Eypharian priestess upon her passing. Young for an Ethaefal, Avior is only in her fifties. She is known for a bright and blithe spirit and a sense of liveliness in all she does. Under her hand, the temple is not a somber place, but a beacon to all who need to remember that darkness may come for the night, but Syna will rise in the morning.
Her nightly seeming is a great mystery as, but some imagine it is Eypharian if she is able to blend well enough to escape notice.

Sample Dialogue: "Yes, it is hard, but it will be worth it! We are all afraid at times, I more than most, but I try to reach towards something brighter than I. I have failed and will fail again, but that is no reason to stop extending my hand." She smiled at the Eypharian and teased, "Plus, you have a few to spare."

Skills:
Dancing: 20 (novice)
Teaching: 70 (expert)
Observation: 82 (master)

2 Gnosis marks from Syna

ImageTabetra
Gifted to the temple when she was eleven, Tabetra has not always been so surrounded by beauty. The young Eypharian grew up in the Pillars of Dust, loosely regarded by her Lark mother. Despite tears and vows of love towards her daughter, Tabetra gradually learned there were vices her mother loved more than her child. Tabetra was traded to pay for a loan, but when brought before the Golden Spider as currency, the goddess smiled on Tabetra.
That evening, a slim cloaked figure brought Tabetra to the Temple of Syna and insisted she be taken on. A small sum is still given to her on the anniversary of the date.
Every new day turns Tabetra into a healthier creature. She is still prone to deceit and lacks the polish of a good Eypharian, but she is growing daily into a happy, creative young woman. She loves bright things and dramatic stories. Avior is a guiding elder sister to her, steadily nudging the young woman towards goodness.
Now fifteen, Tabetra is the temple acolyte, charged with small duties and caring for the Sanctuary of the Fallen.

Sample Dialogue:
"Don't just leave it on the ground! This is the lady's temple. I don't come to your house and throw scraps. But maybe I should!"A look from Avior across the room made the girl blush and bow her head. She grumbled, but she didn't throw her rag at the offenders like she had planned. "Just be good to pretty places. There aren't many of them."

Skills:
Organization: 22 (novice)
Singing : 35 (competent)
Storytelling: 36(competent)

Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)