[Flashback] Born Of Wings A Birdbrain's Beginning (WIP)

This thread starts out with Midnight at the age of eight. Up to this point he has been living unaware of his species as Kelvic. He had been with a small group of orphans, surviving with them. Unfortunately for the small group, they were tricked and soon after captured by underground slave traders and are currently in route to a holding cell somewhere in Sunberth. Finished story

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Midnight on November 10th, 2011, 5:28 am

Spring 12 505AV

“Come on now, keep moving!” A man warned,  before he leaned toward a young boy, “You! Hold your tongue, if someone suspects something I assure that your sister there will die a slow painful death.” The man whispered into the young boy’s ear, while the young girl clutched his arm close.

The young gentleman shut himself up quickly and continued to walk forward. He bumped into another boy by accident, but it didn’t seem to phase the young man. Instead, the boy seemed to be more interested in one of the more gruff in looks, trader. Midnight had pale skin and a head full of long, dreadlocked, navy blue hair. Weaved into the long locks were some feathers, the likes of which were quite different then normal avian variety. He appeared to be one of the older ones in the group, perhaps only about sixteen or seventeen in age. Though appearance mattered little compared to intelligence.

The ground was wet with the early dew that had collected during the evening. A cool breeze whistled through some of the branches and leaves of the forest the small group trekked through. The leaves and forest debris on the ground groaned and moaned with each heavy step made by the unprotected steps of the group. Each of the captured seemed to be dressed in little more then rags, common with orphans or those who suffer in poverty. It was a dismal symphony of natural instruments that played for three days straight. The group of eight consisted of two slave traders, black shepherds as the children among the groups liked to call them, and six other captured children. Each orphaned and each easy to make vanish, they were nobodies.

The mass exodus headed by one of the gruff traders moved silently through one of the many back trails off the main Sylirian roads. Nobles and guards frequented the main paths, which is why the shepherds preferred to be off road. The groups final destination was Sunberth a lawless part of Syliras wild and untamed. Murderous, chaotic, treacherous, rebellious, all words that would fit the description of this hardened mining town. When the harvest would arrive at the secluded barn turned holding cell, an auction would soon be held and people would buy the group off one by one as slaves at their farms, homes, whatever the owners felt fit. It was a dark, but not uncommon practice.  

None of this seemed to bother Midnight though, even as he boldly, or is it stupidly, approached the man at the head of the group.
“Hey mister,” he whispered, and managed to get the man’s attention with a  snort, “Do you have any spare grain, oh no maybe a berry or two! I’m so hungry sir,” a brief pause as Midnight stepped over a branch, “Come on sir, I know you got some in your pocket. Just a nibble please.” Unknown to Midnight, even though it was quite obvious by the man's face, he was quite frustrated with his boldness.

If the approach of the hostile man wasn’t enough, the final straw that broke this camel’s back was when Midnight slipped a hand into his pocket.

“Alright!” Midnight said with great excitement, he pulled his hand out, “You had a whole nut in there!” He paused for a moment as he studied the bit of food. Though, at the back of his head he felt something wrong about that statement.

The confusion was short lived interrupted by a sharp pain across the palm of his hand. Midnight stumbled backward and away with a squeal of pain. He clutched his hand as blood began to trickle from his palm. The deep valley, sliced into his hand, pooled with blood. Hurt, emotionally and physically, he looked up at the man with confusion.

“You’re lucky I didn’t take your finger off boy!” The black shepherd sounded very gruff and almost inhuman.

He approached the downed Midnight, blade brandished and stained with fresh blood. The moon rays flickered off the liquid ruby and drew in Midnight’s attention despite the fear and pain. The orange eyes seemed to shimmer in the bright, moonlight, rays, glued to the shiny thing. It didn't go unnoticed by the man.

“Ooo, shiny huh? I'd be doing a service for the boss, wasting a runt, a rat like you. I will cut you open boy and leave you to die of eviceration. Do you even understand what I'm saying boy?”

Midnight didn't answer the man and instead followed the knife up over the man’s head as it continued to shine and mesmerize the boy. The other kids quietly murmured to themselves. The sister and brother duo began to chitter again.

“Why did you let him into our group again? Look at him, he isn't even going to apologize or try and stop him.” The sister spoke quietly.

“I let him in because he was orphaned like the rest of us. It was a hard life alone, you know that sis. Mum, dad vanished and left us nothing. He had nothing and I wanted to give him something to fill the pit that a family should fill.”

“But he doesn't even realize he is going to be killed now, and we can't do anything for the bird brain.”

But it was true, Midnight didn’t realize it at the time, but his life was about to end. He  didn’t care at that moment though as his orange eyes seemed glued to the shimmer of the blade. His mind left the current situation as he began to have visions of possible memories long lost. Blurred images of figures as they set him down on the road, as they left him there. He remembered birds taking him up, keeping him alive. Vague images of flying over the forest flashed as another glint of silver passed his eyes. How did he get where he is now, why doesn't he remember his past life as a human?
“Die Rat.”
The blade sliced through the air with the speed of an Wind Eagle. It was the end of the young boy’s life or at least it would of been.
Last edited by Midnight on November 28th, 2011, 5:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Midnight
Player

Words: 25147
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2009, 3:16 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Flashback] Beginnings -Private-

Postby Midnight on November 12th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Spring 12 505AV

“I’ll send you to Uldr ra--”

“Ricky that’s enough,” the other black shepherd stayed the man’s hand, swiftly. His arms flexed as he struggled to keep his comrade's blade in place.

“Caleb, what in the name of Dira are you doing,” he grunted through tight teeth as the two struggled a moment.

Ricky roared with frustration and Caleb did his best to calm him.

“Easy, you’ve already damaged our harvest enough. The boss will not be pleased with the damages to his product.”
“Damages, this one is already damaged!”

“That maybe be so, but even damaged merchandise has a place somewhere. He still has value, have you seen him work? He is extraordinarily strong, though simple in his head.”
Ricky and Caleb began to argue back and forth rather loudly, perhaps the harvest as they called them would not be the cause of their discovery. Midnight remained seated still in a bit of a trance. When he returned to the moment at hand he looked at the two men, then at the kids. But his hands soon ran through the brush as they desperately searched for that nut. He winced as twigs and dirt rubbed it’s way into his wound. It was unsuccessful, cut off abruptly when the boy from earlier appeared in his vision.

His hands landed on Midnight’s shoulder, “Run!”

Midnight sat confused, “But Charlie, my nut.”

Charlie looked at Midnight with bewilderment, “Forget the nut, run into the forest! Go!”

Midnight was shoved this time and felt he had to obey his best friend. He skittered to his feet and made a break for the brush. The low branches and bushes scrapped at his skin, but he didn't bother to look at how bad his cuts were, he was told to run by his friend he respected so he did. He heard Charlie come into the brush after him.

“Follow me, I think I know where the road is.” Midnight didn't hear a reply and decided to look behind his shoulder.

“Damnit, Caleb get em!” Ricky yelled as Charlie vanished into the forest, his sister left behind. Caleb left to chase after some of the other kids that had vanished into the forest and left Ricky alone with the girl.

Ricky turned his attention to the only kid that remained. “ I knew you two were up to no good. You and your brother have been planning this haven’t you?” Ricky cackled, full of rage. He didn’t noticed the small steps behind him as Charlie manifested out of the brush behind him. Something clutched tightly in his hands. “He isn’t around anymore I saw him take off with that rat, no one to save you from my blade.” Ricky brandished his weapon unaware of Charlie.

Charlie moved silently as he held a thick, sturdy, and heavy tree branch in hand. Unknown to Midnight as his eyes met with empty darkness. Charlie had vanished from behind him. He wondered where he had gone and turned back despite his safety. He'd go nowhere without Charlie. He followed the path, that he had broken just moments before. His eyes found the broken branches below and off the dried and dead brush. When he got to a point close to the area he had just escaped from, he found another path had broken off and away from his own. It was then that he heard the conversation begin between Ricky and Charlie's sister. Charlie wouldn’t abandoned his sister, she was his most sacred treasure. He moved to a bush and was able to see into the small clearing just in time to see Ricky pounce toward the girl. He felt his heart thump and an almost uncontrolled urge to throw himself in front of the blade. But such an act was not needed.

Charlie charged toward Ricky with a wail and Ricky didn’t know what hit him he turned and received a slam to his head. It was with enough force to knock down the hot headed man and daze him. Midnight choose that moment to reveal himself as Charlie approached Ricky. Midnight quickly grabbed Charlie’s sister and began to pull her into the forest.

“No bird brain, not without my brother.”

“But Hannah, it isn’t safe to stay!” Midnight tried again to move the stubborn girl.

The two were interrupted with another loud crack as Charlie brought his branch back down on Ricky’s head. Both Hannah and Midnight watched as Charlie beat Ricky’s head in and let him get his frustration out. Frustration, borderline hatred that had accumulated ever since the two men lured the group of kids to an alleyway, promising food and some shelter. Three days without food, without cover, being molested, degraded, humiliated, tortured, lowered below the status of man and animal, all of this anger unleashed onto one man's face.

“No one touches my family and gets away with it!” Each word was followed by a hard crack of the bat like branch against the skull that began to weaken with each hard blow.

Each crack began to sound wetter and wetter as the man’s face was beaten to mush. His nose broken, face caved in and lacerated, Ricky’s body laid still. Charlie threw his weapon to the ground and breathed heavily. His white face, spattered with blood that  shimmered in the moonlight like gems in a mine.

Midnight breathed a sigh of relief, then talked to himself under his breath, “Now you are lower then a rat, you are rat food Shepherd.”

Midnight left Hannah's side and ran toward Charlie and the corpse that was once Ricky. He stopped short of them and looked over the body. His eyes stayed away from the caved in and blood filled face of the man and instead traveled to his hand. The knife still clutched tightly in his fist. Midnight leaned over and pried the dead fingers open to retrieve the sharp blade. It was crude, maybe even homemade. Cord wrapped around the base made a crude handle, the blade itself was triangular to a sharp point at the tip. It would be perfect for slashing, and deadly for a quick stab kill.

“Come on Charlie, we aren’t safe here.” Midnight reached up to comfort Charlie. Screams of agony could be heard as they echoed through the forest.

“We can find the main road and hide in one of the cabins along it’s path.” Charlie brought an arm up to his face to wipe the blood mixed with tears from his face.

“You’re right bird brain, we need to leave. Can you navigate the forest to the road Midnight?” Charlie asked while he walked to Hannah.

His arms wrapped around her body as they hugged tightly Hannah only hugged back half as tight. Midnight followed close behind with a bit of a smile on his face. Even through all of the scattered antics, Charlie still trusted him to safely guide them out of the deadly forest. He didn't know how, but he seemed to recognize the forest in vague images. Almost as if he had grown up in it. But that would have been impossible, he had been with Charlie all that time.

“I don’t know if I can, just gotta let my instincts guide me. Never failed before, if I didn’t listen to them you both would be out of luck finding your way out.” Midnight broke brush again and looked over his shoulder.

All three jumped as another loud screech echoed through the forest, closer then the one before. The screech quickly turned to sick gurgle and thud on the forest ground.

“Enough with the emotion, we aren’t in the clear yet.”
Last edited by Midnight on November 14th, 2011, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Midnight on November 12th, 2011, 10:47 pm

Spring 13 505AV

The three remained close together as they swiftly moved through the forest. They assumed by the screams and then silence that deafened them, they were the only survivors. They could see the dark sky above them, through the breaks in leaves and branches, begin to lighten into a navy blue and soon lighter blue color. The sun was on the rise quick, which meant the three were a bit less in danger. The black shepherds were active only during the day.

Midnight stopped the group, one of many times that traumatic night, and looked at the forest that surrounded them on all sides. Creatures and birds could be heard as they slowly woke up from their peaceful night. But the three who sat on the ground, their bodies were far from easy.

“We’ve been walking for hours Midnight, are you sure we know wear we are going?” Charlie asked while he scratched his face.

Bits of dried blood cracked off his skin and fell to the forest floor. Midnight sat, unsure of where to go next. He stayed seated and looked over to the other two, his family. He wanted to desperately do something and redeem himself for his antics back with the others. He couldn’t help but feel responsible for the other’s deaths, even though it was inevitable. His distraction was a benefit to the group, it gave them something the gods wouldn’t have granted them a second chance.

“I’m not sure where we are to be honest. I can’t focus right now, to many thoughts on my mind.” The knife he had taken off of Ricky remained in his hand.

As he lost himself in thought, his mind was soon drawn to the glimmer of the deadly, sharp, blade. He was drawn into it again, flashes of images from the events that only occurred a few hours prior began to haunt his thoughts. Yet the shine calmed him, and slain the grisly thoughts.

Midnight could hear Hannah whisper to Charlie, “Why do we keep him around. He’s obviously broken in the head. I mean didn’t you see him back there? Playing with dirt instead of running, how stupid do you have to be?”

The words stung worse then his palm. He felt a tear well up in his eye, he always tried his best and was always the first to at least attempt to give aid. He clutched the blade even firmer as he remembered painful memories of being ridiculed by his peers and others in the group.

His negative train of thought ended when he heard Charlie speak, “Hannah, don’t be rude. If he hadn’t been his curious self, we wouldn’t be here right now, free. He might seem scattered at times, but that doesn’t matter. His heart is full of only good intentions.”

That cheered Midnight up and made him loosen his grip on the blade. His orange eyes seemed to be drawn to the glimmer again. A flock of birds overhead could be heard as he slipped into thought again. Nothing seemed to matter to him at that moment except the glint of the blade and the birds as they chirped over head. His mind echoed with bird chirps as new images began to cross his mind. Images of actually flying with the birds, communicating with the birds, being a bird.

Charlie and Hannah stopped their private chat as their hair stood on ends. Not from fright or a startle, but the air felt as if filled with static electricity. They both glanced over at Midnight as he seemed to have fallen into one of his many trances. Charlie crawled a bit closer to Midnight but stopped when the buzz on his skin seemed to increase.

“Midnight? Are you okay--”

“Charlie get away from the freak.” Hannah yanked Charlie back.

The two watched as Midnights feathers, locked into his thin dreads began to move and shift. Soon the light began to bend as if an intense fire was lit below Midnight. The random curls and curves of light began to increase around his body. It soon got to the point that Midnight’s entire body had been obscured by the strange veil of magic. the vague image of their friend seemed to shrink as Midnights torso shrunk and seemed to grow into the rags he was given.

“”Lets get out of here!” Hannah tugged on Charlie’s shoulder.

But he remained in his spot, “I don’t sense danger Hannah, just wait.”

The curls and bends seemed to become less and less growing smaller an smaller with the human. The two children watched as the color of Midnight’s hair could be seen close to the ground. Any sign of human gone, save for the hair. But what struck the two of them as odd was the fact that the blob of hair color seemed to move and flutter about.

Soon the waves vanished completely and clarity returned. “What is that thing?”

“It’s a bird Hannah, Midnight became some sort of bird.”Charlie replied with excitement.

The large bird was an exotic and rare species the two weren’t familiar with. Large and navy blue from beak to tail feather. It had the same orange eyes as Midnight. The bird seemed to limp over to Charlie and Charlie remained still. The large macaw used it’s beak to climb up onto his shoulder, talking away. Of course the sounds were not words, but bird calls and whistles.

Charlie looked over and into Midnight’s eyes, “Sneaky devil, you really are a bird brain.”
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Midnight on November 16th, 2011, 7:33 pm

A moment past before a loud pop of a twig caught the groups attention. They all turned their attention to it and noticed it was only a small creature curious onto what was near its den.

“Now what? Birdbrain has just turned into a bird and we are still lost! Some help he’s being.” Hannah began to walk away from Charlie and Midnight off into the forest.

Charlie gave a questioning look over at Midnight, which the bird in turn nuzzled against his cheek. “I wonder, can you understand me?” Charlie asked while he made Midnight perch up on his fingers.

Face to face, Midnight tilted his head then ruffled his feathers. “Understand me?”

Midnight ruffled his feathers before nodding his head and almost fell from Charlie’s fingers.

“Hannah, he can understand me--”

“Congrats, do you want a cracker?” She replied rather sarcastically.

“No, sister you don’t understand. Midnight can find and guide us to the road now.” Midnight flapped his wings in excitement.

Hannah paused a moment and thought the plan was logical, however her pride wouldn’t let the others know she was wrong. Silence met Charlie and he took it as a sign of willingness from Hannah.

He turned his attention back to Midnight, “Midnight, find road.”

Midnight paused a moment as if to translate the words. He squawked after some time and pushed off from the hand he had perched on. It was with enough force to push Charlie’s hand downward as Midnight took off for the first time, or at least the first time he could remember. His wing span was large which made it difficult to maneuver through the tree branches. Not to mention, he was quite a big bird, certainly not fit for agility. He dodged several branches on his as he made his way up past the tree tops. After a near miss of a small branch, Midnight was suddenly assaulted with the brightness of the sun.

He almost got distracted enough to loose focus on flight before he turned around. He perched on a branch near the top of the canopy and looked around, while he preened his feathers of course. He looked off to the south and could see the ocean and the hint of a small island. His gaze turned to the left and he could see a flock of birds. The urge to join them grew almost to an unbearable need and want. However, something kept him perched. He felt at the back of his mind the command he had been given by his friend, no master, and concentrated on the task at hand. As luck would have it, his gaze drifted below the birds and soon found a trail of trees that seemed to just be missing. It was most likely the road they seek.

“Can you see him?” Charlie gazed up at the leaves, “He's been gone a while.”

“Maybe he left, probably for the better anyway. He just slows us down--”

“I wish you would stop putting him down so much, especially right in front of him.” Charlie looked down at his sister with a bit of disappointment. “Don't you remember what mom and dad said, always look over your family?”

“But he isn't family, he isn't even human!”

“Hush, how dare you. I don't even know if he had a family to begin with, he just appeared at our hide out. He's our family because I say so.”

Just before Hannah was about to protest a loud screech echoed through the forest. Midnight manifested among the leaves and into the site of the two kids below. He perched with a bit of a limp on a branch while his wings flapped in a show of excitement.

“Look seems he found something. Quick grab his things and lets move,”Charlie waited on Hannah.

“No you grab his things, I don't want any part of the family as you call it.”

Midnight had already taken flight while all of this went on. He flew ahead and expected the other two to follow. Charlie sighed as Hannah began to follow the bird without his belongings. Charlie retrieved what little Midnight had to begin with and soon followed. Midnight became used to flight through the trees rather quickly. He felt free as a bird, well free as a bird could feel. He glanced down at the floor and could see the other two as they followed. After a bit, he flew up and out of the canopy just to make sure he was in the right direction.

He looked forward and could see the trench in the canopy, closer then it was before. But what caught and scared Midnight more was the movement below in a clearing. The wind shifted direction and the scent of blood reached his nose slits. He knew that scent, kids, man, it was their original location and it appeared not only death lingered there but something alive. He could hear Hannah and Charlie as they made a ruckus as they tried and locate where Midnight had gone. They were far off from the location the man or men where so he decided to come down and investigate closer.

Midnight perched on a branch with a bit of a fumble, his foot still in pain. Fortunately, the ruffle of his wings didn’t disturb the two men below. Midnight wondered how the second one arrived so quickly and not realized how close to being enslaved they actually were. Midnight dipped his head down in curiosity as his orange eyes observed one of the men he recognized. Caleb stood over Richard and kicked the corpse’s side. The other man, or was it boy?

“What happened to uncle Richard?” The young man rubbed his eyes, perhaps to wipe the need to shed a tear away.

“Its a cruel world,” Richard leaned over and searched the corpse, “I brought you out here to show you the danger of our jobs.”

Caleb found what he had been in search of, a small coin pouch which seemed heavy. He handed it to the younger man.

“Here take this, he doesn’t need them anymore. You and I however do,” Caleb knealed down to the boy’s level, “Richard and I made a blunder, which could lead to an even harder path for you and I Rick.” He placed his hands on Rick’s shoulders, “Now listen, I want you to go back to our house and gather our things I’ll be there soon, we are leaving Sunberth.”

“I’m afraid, will you be okay?” Rick asked with a bit a waver in his tone.

Caleb didn’t answer but hugged his son tightly before he nudged him, “Go, straight home. I will be home soon.”

Rick hesitated a bit before he began to run back to his house. Midnight continued to watch for a bit longer.

“I’ll find you kids, I will not go home empty handed.”

“Midnight! Where are you?” A call from the forest, which made both Midnight’s and Caleb’s head turn.

Caleb acted first as he left the small path and concealed himself within the hazardous forest. Midnight took off with haste as he flapped his way over to the other two. He moved swiftly toward the voices as they continued to move closer. Midnight soon found them and squawked loudly. He perched on Charlie’s shoulder and dug his claws into his shoulders.

“There you are, where were you? Ouch, that hurts Midnight.” Midnight flapped his wings backward as he tried to stop Charlie’s movements.

“Tsk, look at bird brain he hates you.” Hannah chimed in and continued to move forward right into the clearing.

Midnight’s eyes grew in fear as he heard Caleb make his move. He grabbed the girl and got her into an arm lock, a knife in hand.

“Come out boy, I know you are there!” Caleb brandished the blade as Hannah began to cry for help.

Caleb’s voice stayed Charlie’s movements as realization washed over his brain. Midnight stopped his attempts to pull Charlie away as they both paused and looked through the leaves.

“You were trying to keep us from falling into danger weren’t you?” Charlie said softly almost mournfully.

Midnight made a nod with his head and ruffled his feathers.

“Charlie, help me!” Caleb’s brow raised as Hannah confirmed his suspicions that the other boy was present.

“Charlie, I don’t think you want to let your sister get hurt now do you. Come out in five, four, three, two--”

“I’m over here, please don’t hurt her.” Charlie said while he walked out into the open.

Midnight was nowhere to be seen as he had flew up into the trees. Charlie, whom he admired so, talked to the bird before he revealed his location.

“Listen Midnight, I know you can hear me,” he dropped Midnight’s belongings on the ground. “I want you to follow us as a bird and if the opportunity arises help us out. But if you can do nothing, I want you to promise me to protect the family from these people. Protect travellers and all those who use this forest as a refuge indefinitely. Promise me this Midnight.”

Midnight ruffled his feathers and nodded before he flew up into the trees. Charlie soon after walked out and into the open.

“That’s right boy, come on out.” Charlie walked calmly toward Hannah and Richard.

“Please just don’t hurt her, I’ll do anything in order to keep her unharmed.” Caleb smiled.

“Good then you will come with me, I have a delivery to make.” Caleb clutched the girl tight as Charlie made a move for her outstretched hand.

Caleb moved Hannah away from Charlie, “No, I’m going to keep her close I don’t want you two to think of another clever escape plan.”

Charlie moved away from Hannah when Caleb touched the blade to Hannah’s neck in reaction to another attempt to touch her.

“Good, lets move,” Caleb said as he muscled Hannah forward and began to walk the trail.

Charlie began to walk as well before he looked over his shoulder to find Midnight. Midnight was high in the trees and took flight when the trio began their trek toward their original location. The sun shined brightly in the sky. Midnight could feel his back begin to warm as he flew high above the group below. He could see a break in the woods as the forest had been cleared for farmland.

A flock of birds came up Midnight’s rear, “Midnight! There you are.”

Midnight crooked his head as he looked over his shoulder, he saw a flock of ravens as they made their migration back to the forest. Midnight said nothing as he continued to fly while one of the birds flew in front of him.
“Don’t you remember me? We were best pals since you were a hatching or birthed, Derek?” Midnight looked down and kept sight of the group.

“Birthed, what do you mean birthed?” The raven fluttered by then glided on the air stream next to Midnight.

“You know, you were born human but shortly after you turned into what you are now. Silly bird, always a joker.” Midnight was genuinely confused.

The silence that met the raven’s ears told him something was wrong, “You mean you don’t remember flying with us? You don’t remember Maria, your mom? Well not really mom, but she raised you. You were slid into her nest.” Midnight tried to remember but the situation and time made it unclear to him.

“Do you know you are a kelvic? That is why you were able to become both human and bird. You’re like me.”

The words rang loudly in Midnight’s ears. He began to remember seeing a boy like himself who grew extraordinarily quickly while he remained the same height. He could remember being fed by a large raven and taken care of. He remembered his flights with the flock of ravens and most importantly he remember the sound of the almost adult Derek as he said the same three words he had just spoke again.

“I’m one like you? You mean I’m not a human?” Midnight lost a bit of altitude before he regained back focus.

“No you’re not human. You’re nothing like those dirty creatures. You’re a bird.”

“They’re not dirty, they helped me through winter.” Midnight said quietly.

“I didn’t mean to offend,” the raven nudged Midnight’s larger body, “Did you meet one you like?” The raven turned it’s black head toward Midnight.

“I did, his name is Charlie and I have to protect his family.” The raven hummed to himself.

“So you’ve found someone to bond with huh? That is great news,” the bird said cheerfully, “Where is he?”

Midnight’s eyes opened quickly as he remembered the trio below. He scanned the open fields desperately for any signs of the trio. He finally spotted them down below as they approached a small farm house.

“Look, I need to go.” Midnight began to dart toward the house.
“Okay then, you now where I will be. You know that abandoned shack those orphans hang at.” The raven fluttered and returned to the flock as the birds drifted to the right and toward the forest again. Midnight only barely heard Derek as his mind shut off everything else in the world and focused on his friends. Midnight arrived with a bit of a thud atop the roof of the house. He heard movement within the home and flew down to the first floor. He perched on the outside of a window and could see all three of them.

Caleb clutched a paper tightly as he read what was written on the parchment. Midnight could tell the once level headed man was quite agitated almost near rage.

“Do you see what you kids have done?” He pounded over to Hannah and Charlie and held the paper in front of their papers, “Do to your inadequacy of delivery of product. We have taken the liberty of helping ourselves with what you have. Do you know what that means?” Caleb began to cry, “They took my son because you two homeless snots, I’ve lost my little boy.”

Hannah and Charlie moved closer to themselves and began to inch themselves toward the door Caleb began to sob as he mourned over the loss of his son to the underground.

“You’d think that slavery would be best for you two, a life with a bit of shelter food maybe even a real family. Family I won’t have.” Caleb’s face was filled with anger as he straightened himself up.

“But no more, they have what they want and I’m left with two invisible children. Invisible children I do not want to take care of. Caleb brandished the knife again after he through the parchment into the fireplace. The embers soon made it smoke a bit.

“Charlie and Hannah held each other closer as Caleb approached slowly. The smoke grew thicker as more of the page began to ignite. With each step Midnight watched as the window of opportunity grew smaller and smaller. Just as the paper finally exploded into flames, Caleb attacked. Midnight’s eyes grew as he watched his family being slaughtered in front of him. The image of Caleb painted in innocent blood burned into his mind. It filled the bird with rage, he almost transformed to human until his eyes met with Charlies.

Even as the knife was driven into his body over and over again, Midnight observed something odd in his eyes. Instead of fear, they appeared to be in ease almost peaceful. They stared at Midnight as his mouth lipped something.

Midnight studied his lips closely, “Promise me.”

Midnight’s heart sank into the pit of his chest as he hurriedly flew away from the house. He didn’t stop to look back at the house as he made his way back to the abandoned house for a year he called home. He knew it would be empty and it only brought a mix of emotions that he didn’t understand.

The sun sank below the horizon slowly as the light had begun to die slowly. As he flew silhouetted by the light of the sun sadness overwhelmed him, what would he do now? The sun had finally burned it’s last ray of light just as Midnight arrived at the dilapidated and forest eaten shack. He flew into the frame through a hole in the ceiling just as those waves of light began to envelop his body. Midnight landed on his knees just before his curled fist slammed against the dry rotted floor boards. Midnight began to wail and sob as he cursed himself for the recent events. He blamed himself for the situation and began to feel sick. He laid down in darkness, curled up by himself in his house.

Through all the commotion, another man appeared from the darkness and moved over to Midnight slowly. He listened to Midnight’s cries, “Why did he have to die! Why couldn’t I help them,” Midnights fist slammed again this time through the floor boards. “I’m such a coward.”

The man steadied his movements before he vanished back into the darkness to leave Midnight alone. Midnight soon after slipped into a state of sleep that wasn’t quite sleep, but wasn’t awake either. His dreams were plagued with nightmares, nightmares that wrapped their ugly hands around his heart and clawed at it. Scraped its surface and almost brought it to the breaking point. But the word, promise, seemed to act like a protection spell from the nightmares that depressed his soul.

The sound of birds as they chirped sweetly brought Midnight out of the world of dreams and back into the equally as heart tugging reality. He wasn’t sure how a blanket draped itself over his body and kept him warm during the cold night. He was even more surprised to find he was dressed under the covers, it was then he realized he wasn’t alone. He scrambled to his feet as he stumbled and soon fell back down.

“Easy Midnight, no one here will hurt you.” A familiar voice came from beside him.

Midnight didn’t even notice the man who sat silently in one of the many streams of sun rays that came through the neglected roof.

“Who are you?” Midnight asked with a bit of fear.

The man looked hurt for a moment then smiled wide, “How can you forget your friend Derek?”

Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Midnight on November 20th, 2011, 12:32 am

Spring 14 AV 505AV

Midnight softened a bit from fear then back to sever sadness. He crawled over to the man and wrapped his arms tight around him and began to cry.

“I’m sorry Derek, I don’t remember you but I feel like I’ve known you for years.” Midnight curled in close to the man.
“Its okay, you’ve been through a lot this winter.” His hands moved to comfort Midnight like a father would a son.

Even though Derek knew they were similarly aged, Derek couldn’t help himself to feel fatherly. “Charlie and the others...they died--”

“I gathered that much, you were rather loud in the night. Kept half the flock awake,” Midnight blushed a bit.

“I’m sorry, I can’t do anything right.” Derek scowled a bit.

“Now that sort of talk is unacceptable.” Derek shifted as he moved to a small bundle of cloth tied by a piece of chord. “Here eat and calm yourself, I have to say good bye to the flock.” Derek soon stood and left Midnight with the bundle.

Midnight followed the man as he walked outside. His hands soon found the bundle and undid the chord. Within it he found some fruits and nuts, which is when Midnight realized just how hungry he actually was. Midnight ate fast and felt slightly better in the silence. He had time to think and remember. After a long while, Derek returned.

:Feel better bird brain?” Midnight nodded but remained seated. “All the orphans are gone now.”

Derek’s brow raised, “Have you been with them since I’ve been gone?” Again, Midnight nodded.

“We were caught by black shepherds, slave traders and were being escorted to their base. On the way we tried to escape and they killed them all except myself, Charlie and Hannah. Charlie beat one of the traders to death and they trusted me to find the road away from this awful place. I failed them.”

Derek nodded as he listened to the story of that dismal day. He explored the shack and found a small back pack. It was filled with basic things for survival as well as some gold. Derek picked up the backpack and tossed it in front of Midnight and cut him off from his story. Derek could tell Midnight had become upset again and wanted to stop it before it escalated further.

:You mumbled something in your sleep. I promise to protect all of my family, anyone who enters the forest.” Midnight nodded.

“It was a promise made to Charlie,” Midnight picked up the back pack and looked at it curiously, it was Charlie’s.

“Charlie was your bonded mate you spoke of late yesterday isn’t he?”

“Yes, he took me in when I was a human and treated me like family.” It was Derek’s turn to nod.

“Well? Are you going to keep that promise?”

“Of course I will!” Midnight snapped.

Derek grunted an approval, “Good, then why are you here still? You should be out there,” Derek nodded out the door, “There is family to be protected. You can dwell on the past as long as you want, but you won’t be keeping your promise if you are clouded by sadness.”

Midnight perked a bit then looked down solemnly, “I don’t know if I can do it. I’ve lost the ones I needed to protect.”

“Midnight, Charlie obviously trusted you enough to make you make that promise. All of my friends,” Derek gestured to the ravens above, “believe you are most capable of carrying out that promise. I believe you can carry out that promise.”

Midnight felt a bit of a spark ignite in the dark of his soul. He stood up and walked over to Derek, clarity had returned. “You’re right, I can do this. But what about you, will you be around the forest?”

Derek frowned slightly, “Unfortunately not, like you I was bound to a promise. I have a bonded mate as well.” Midnight frowned, “But she isn’t anything like yours. Yours is much stronger and had a great sense of honor. I was only in the territory to bring back the birds and say good bye.” Midnight nodded and pulled the backpack onto his back. He was headed for the door before Derek stopped him.

“Oh, before I leave,” Derek moved to one of the chests left behind by ghosts of the past and retrieved a wrapped item. A tag on it read, to Midnight.

“I’m going to believe that this Charlie intended you to have this. Perhaps he really wanted you to be the guardian of the orphans.” Midnight took the item as it was handed to him.

he unwrapped it slowly and found what looked like wooden staff about a foot in length. Upon further study, he found that it was split into two sections. He pulled the wooden handle apart and found that the two pieces of wood swung open and revealed a large blade. He brought the two ends together again and held it out in front of him like a large sword.

While Midnight explored the weapon Derek was busy as he undressed in preparation for his flight home. “I guess this is good bye. Protect your family Midnight.”

With that Derek took off and left Midnight alone but stronger then ever.
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Flashback] Born Of Wings A Birdbrain's Beginning (solo fin)

Postby Midnight on November 27th, 2011, 5:25 am

This story is being continued in this thread:

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/post125535.html#p125535
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ink on December 4th, 2011, 5:44 pm

And in the Aftermath . . .

The Rewards are Revealed.

Midnight :
Larceny 1 – For trying to steal the nut
Meditation 1 –The trance state he enters before changing
Navigation 2
Observation 3
Running 1- Fleeing through the forest
Tracking 1 – Following the children after they’re taken by Caleb
Stealth 1 - Hiding in the trees
Wilderness survival 1

Lore: Basic knowledge of navigating a Forest by Air, Lore: Losing a Bondmate, Lore: I'm a Kelvic?

Note: You might want to recount your birthday/age in your CS. Remember the current year is 511 AV not 500 AV- Just a friendly reminder. : )

Written in the ink :
I really wish I could give you more xp! You wrote so much, but many of the skills were performed by the NPCS.

Keep up the good work I hope to read about what Midnight does next to keep his promise! :)

If there are any problems or concerns with my grading please drop me a PM. I'm happy to discuss it and I promise not to bite! :)

Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)