To Be Crimson; Flames and Bloodied Palms (Antar & Eryss)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Shai on November 26th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Timestamp: 71st of Fall, 511 AV

Shai had spent the better part of the day alternating between meditations and pacing. In a professional level she trusted Antar. Their ventures had been successful and he had proven he was more than capable. When he had given her a chance to join his band of miscreants the answer had been obvious. She had been searching for a group to integrate herself into and any gang with Antar in it would surely be enough to keep the slavers away from her. The thief didn’t mind paying some small dues or running a few jobs for a group as long as their name could give her a reprieve from the peons trying to enslave her.

The only rub was that Antar wouldn’t tell her where they were going. He had told her to meet him at his tent and from there they would go to meet his contact. That was so petching shady that if anyone else had given her the offer her nicest reply would have been obscenities. But, here she was, slipping through shadows and making her way to his tent. The biggest reason she even consented was because Antar had already had ample opportunity to kill or maim her, so it really made no sense for this to be a trap. She had brought along her normal implements including her thief’s tools and her new fans which were secured in the buttoned pockets in her black cloak.

The little spider finally came to the Antar’s tent, or she assumed it was his tent. She had never been here before but she had followed the directions. Standing just in front of the opening she called out quietly, no doubt the rogue already knew she had arrived the man had already proven he could easily detect her even when she concentrated on stealth. “Anyone home?”
Last edited by Shai on November 28th, 2011, 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Antar on November 26th, 2011, 10:23 pm

A man sitting crosslegged in his meditations inside the tent stirred at the sound of Shai's voice, and he sighed a moment, wondering if his mental breaks would always be interupted by women of any sort. Be they a kelvic falcon, a wiley cat, a crazed camp cook, or even a seductive spider.

The gods had to hate his life right now... but at least it wasn't former people from his past trying to kill him again. Sighing loudly , he straightened out a kink in his neck. "Indeed, Enter if you wish, we have about a few chime's time before we head to the meeting. Perhaps you have questions on the reasons why I asked you here today? The answer is rather simple. I shall be taking you to meet someone. The man currently behind the curtain of the Crimson Edge."

Taking the initiative to ensure there were no distractions on the little spiders mind, Antar reached over to grab his common shirt to pull it over his head as the symenestra women entered his tent. Ellise in her cage chirped with recognition and started to hop madly about her cage.

With a simple smile Noth greeted her, as his eyes carefully watched the little woman to see if she was going to have any episodes of 'attempted thieving.' The rogue was almost sure Shai had learned her lesson the last time, but he wasn't remiss to giving her another lesson or two in that regard. Antar figured it was only a matter of time before the woman tried something again. Throwing a blanket over his falcon's cage to quiet her, he simply waited for the delectable woman to speak... whether asking questions, or simply idle chatter to pass the time.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shai on November 26th, 2011, 10:42 pm

She entered just in time to see Antar snatch the shirt over his head. The spider couldn’t help but laugh, “Do you meditate all the time or am I simply that lucky?” She let him continue talking, explaining what this vague meeting was for.

Shai’s eyes widened at the mention of the Crimson Edge, she hadn’t been expecting that and the first half of the name escaped her lips before she sucked it back in, “Ca-“ She took a moment to look around the tent. “If I questioned whether this was a trap or not I would not be here. But would you mind terribly if I left something in your tent for this meeting? Actually, you are welcome to keep it.” Producing a small, rusty booty knife, which someone observant might link to the barbarian she mugged to get it, from one of her pockets she displayed it for Antar before setting down. “Just. . . a precaution if you will.”

Shai readjusted her cloak so it fell properly across her shoulders again, “Perhaps I do have one question. What does the Crimson Edge need a thief for?” They seemed to have their bases covered from what she had seen of their members, at least the members that admitted their connection to her. A massive barbarian and an assassin, both very combat orientated careers and the same could not be said for Shai. Were they branching out?

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on November 26th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Antar pleasantly arched an eyebrow at Shai's suggestion of being 'lucky' and a small mischievous smirk could be seen, tucking up the corner of his lips.

He waited a little as she handed over the knife, and after a moments inspection a small chuckle came from his throat as he recognized the blade and who it belonged too. How could Antar not when he had sparred with the bloody barbarian so many times before? Flipping it over in his hand to feelt he blade's weight he spoke."I wondered where he had lost this. It seems I'll have to chide him for letting it be stolen and if he's lucky I may even give it back. Of course..." He took a look at Shai and winked, "This does prove you're one lucky spider indeed. Normally if I had known something had been stolen from a... compatriot I would have gone to extraordinary means to ensure its return. Such things would not have been pleasant I can assure you of that. But..."

His voice trailed off and he smiled grew a little wider, as he made a one eyed wink at the spider. "You did see fit to return it to me at least... so I'll consider this a small joke at Cade's expense. As for what we are... or what we intend to do... well you could say we have aspirations to form a guild of many walks of life. It is a collection of individuals who seem to consider the good a group might bring them as well as what they can accomplish through working with others of ... select skills. Not all are fighters, or killers, or even thugs. Though I'll let who we're meeting explain it more in detail to you. For now..."

Reaching an arm out to grip Shai's arm he pulled her close enough so that he might whisper in her ear. Are you prepared to take a little run tonight?"
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shai on November 26th, 2011, 11:31 pm

“Feel free to do with it as you please, but it would please me if you kept my name out of it. If you understand, the last thing I need is the behemoth knowing who took it.” It had been before she had even met Cade, when she had mugged him he was just a mark. Now, well, she didn’t steal from her acquaintances it was just bad business. Especially not acquaintances that could crush her on accident let alone putting intent behind it. “Besides, no one would have ever known if I did not just tell you.”

Listening patiently to his explanation of the guild she came to the conclusion he hadn’t actually answered her question. Very well, if he isn’t answering there must be a reason. This continuously alluded to figure behind this gang has more answers, hopefully. “Very we-“ Shai’s reply was interrupted by the spider behind jerked closer to him. If she managed to lose a third sentence part-way through she was going to be agitated, she had hard learned perfect pronunciation and preferred to keep it that way. The little thief was never really sure if he knew how much it effected her when he got this close. Either he knew and did it just to see if he could embarrass her, which wouldn’t work all that well without an audience. Or he was totally unaware and just naturally set her blood pumping. Regardless, she would consider it or maybe even question him about it another time. “Very well, if we must. I am much more of a climber than a runner though so I hope it is not terribly far.”

Slipping out of his grasp she exited the tent again, this was another night of business and she wouldn’t stay inside such a small space with him, it would get distracting. Letting the crisp, almost winter, breeze clear her head she looked to the tent waiting for her guide. “Well then, Master of the ambiguous, lead the way.”

Last edited by Shai on November 27th, 2011, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on November 27th, 2011, 12:32 am

When Antar left the tent he smiled at Shai's sarcastic wit and for a moment he paced past her only to unexpectedly turn on his heel to make a mocking bow. "Yes, Mistress of the wall climber's league. I shall endeavor to lead you as you requested."

Kneeling at Shai's feet , the rogue's eyes glimmered with amusement barely contained within as he stretched two hands out towards the little spiders sandled feet. Closing his eyes the djed came easier now after a few days of practice, boiling like electricity in his stomach as it surged upwards along his spine, resting in his eyes and traversing down to his fingertips. Slowly, the blue strands of filaments began stretching outwards towards the symenestra's sandals, covering the soles a fine netting of energy settled into place glinting blue in the visual spectrum.

But to his Sight it was far more then a simple crosshatching of lines, he could see the protective bubbling of djed spreading through the weave's fabric in order to tighten its strands a little better than he could have done the prior times.

Tasking it quickly to stop the passage of sound the construction quickly faded from his view. Wasting no time, the rogue spun the djed faster around his own boots, duplicating the feat before straightening up to make a friendly squeeze upon the symenestra's shoulder in an unusually comforting manner. Smiling a little, the rogue subconsciously smoothed back his hair before turning away from Shai towards the darknened sprawl of the slums.

He began to run, increasing his strides to an easy loping gait. Antar knew the very first thing Shai might notice if she ran to catch up, was that for as long as the shield held, her footsteps would brook no sound in their passage.
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shai on November 27th, 2011, 1:27 am

Shai could help but grin as Antar bowed. She was about to add another quip when he kneeled at her feed and she stared down at him incredulously. Surprise quickly melded toward trepidation when the flicker of magic crossed her feet. Antar was using magic on her again. The thief had believed they were beyond this, but she had mentioned stealing. She stood frozen watching him for any twitch that might betray his next action, she wasn’t sure what the magic around her feet would do but she suspected it was bad.

When her peripheral vision snatched a matching glimmer at his feet she began to relax. Whatever it was he had done it to himself as well. Perhaps there were less offensive uses for his magic. She needed to find a book on the subject at some point, an unknown weapon in the hands anyone around her bugged her. Even if the person wielding the weapon didn’t mean her ill will. Admitting her ignorance regarding magic to this man probably wouldn’t end in damages but there was distinct chance it would induce endless jests are her expense.

As he took off Shai sprinted after him, she wanted to know about this person she was meeting. The thief failed to ask though due to the fact that she suspected she wouldn’t get any useful information out of Antar at this point. Something is off. Shai wasn’t sure what, but it was that strange feeling that something out was out of natural order. She scanned the area; nothing looked particularly out of place for Sunberth. The weather was what could be expected this time of year. Upon reaching her third sense, she found her answer. They weren’t making any noise while they ran. Well, that wasn’t entirely true. Shai’s cloak still played in the wind but the ground failed to reply to her footsteps. The phenomenon was eerie and fascinating. Whatever magic the rogue had used could be useful for more than gagging and harassing unsuspecting spiders.

“Interesting” was the best she could think of to say between measured breaths. She wasn’t sure how far they were running and so she was prepared to run as far as her endurance would allow, which began with even breathing. Shai followed only a stride or two behind Antar and the only reason she could keep up with minimal effort was her racially long legs. Which was good because she wasn’t willing to let him lose her, especially when he didn’t make enough sound for her to find him again.

Finally a question she couldn't help but voice, especially not if she wanted any standing in the coming meeting, came to mind. "Have you warned this person of what I am?"

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on November 27th, 2011, 2:27 am

When she asked her first questions beside him all he did was shake his head. The answers would come later as he lengthened his stride further to match Shai's long legged strides.

Upon the run he lead Shai through the twisting alleys of the slums. Amidst the trash and rubble he had to force his body to vault over a few obstacles like they were track hurdles. But he didn't stop to see if the symenestra women kept pace... no he merely increased his speed, taking the corners of the alleys and diving in amongst the walls of the dilapidated buildings as he kept their path in a series of twists and turns designed to throw off pursuers.

The last thing he wanted was univited guests tonight.

Rounding a corner , Antar reached the edge of the city only to let himself breath smoothly . In and out in order to keep his blood rich with oxygen. His body began to angle towards one of the small copses of trees near the fields, the same one he had met Eryss at just about a season ago. He swore the stones which had been fashioned by reimancy were stil there amidst the trees, only covered now in autumn leaves and the chill of the approaching winter.

And with the approaching winter, the sunsets were coming sooner in the day as the moon rode high in the sky already. If Shai began to keep pace beside him to ask her questions, the rogue would simply respond, "Yes, he's been told you're a symenestra, if that's what you mean, and a thief. Race amongst us is a secondary issue compared to the useful skills you might offer the group."

Slowing down at a hundred yards of the copse, the rogue began to creep along the ground slowly. His eyes were taking the measure of his foot's positioning, right step, then left. The placement kept in areas the leaves were less layered. This was not only to discourage secondary sounds of scuffing leaves he might have kicked up in his run, but also for the practice of moving stealthily within the coming dusk...

Soon they'd be at the copse of trees, and knowing Eryss there would some form of surprise waiting there for them.
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shai on November 27th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Shai had to push herself to keep up with the rogue. It wasn’t a terrible run and the crisp air kept her cool. Consequently, as they slowed she was out of breath and had to struggle to keep quiet, clearly Antar had a reason for secrecy. The fact that her felt the need for stealth put the spider on edge, he could beat her down on a bad day so this person must be highly dangerous. Shai had to resist the urge to remove her shoes, she could be much quieter without them normally but enchanted as they were they kept her silent. The delay they would cause her in scampering up a tree was also another concern. What have you gotten me into Antar?

Accepting his response, although he had misunderstood her she had still gained a small snip of information. Their meeting was with a male. It wasn’t discrimination Shai was concerned about, she originally wondered if her race would give her in an edge in their conversation as a monster from child’s stories but with Antar’s new attitude she thought better of looking for high ground. In fact, she was quickly considering the possibility of looking for some shred of rhetoric to hide herself behind. Well, she hoped this would remain in words.

Shai followed her guide’s footsteps, keeping to the minimally covered places on the ground. She was desperately hoping they would reach those trees soon then she could kick off her slippers and gain a vantage on this situation. Trees would also conveniently put her out of anyone’s arms reach. Then again, if Cade is here,who she had gotten along well enough with, and Antar too, I should be safe shouldn’t I? While Antar had never said anything about the barbarian being present she hoped that whatever organization named both of them among its members would be able to find her useful enough to put up her as well.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eryss Waldu on November 27th, 2011, 7:23 pm

[Knowing the location that the meeting was to occur in was a boon to Eryss who arrived ahead of time as Antar, or anyone else acquainted with him, may have expected. Paranoia ran deep in the veins of the Mage who moved from place to place with the utmost care though today he’d come to the small wooded location with an unwaveringly cruel streak intact. Informed that Antar desired him to meet a woman, and a Symenestra at that, who could be of benefit to the Crimson Edge had peeked the curiosity of Eryss though he remained unconvinced at the moment. Symenestra, from the rumours Eryss had heard, were deadly but also quite frail. Frailty was not an option.]

[As surmised there would be a surprise waiting for the duo of Antar and Shai. Due largely in part to the fact that Eryss was beyond merely punctual and enjoyed arriving earlier than expected he had been waiting for the both of them some time now and had the necessary time to protect himself, if you’d like to call it that, from unwanted guests. Erecting a Shield around the area instead of himself Eryss went beyond merely Shielding an entrance between two trees as he did the last time when he and Antar had met; he had shielded an entire area the size of a small camp capable of accommodating several tents beneath a translucent dome now hidden from view. At first when it was being woven the Shield may have been visible as a layer of wavering ethereal haze but now it was completely unseen and would remain that way until it was seen. Tasked against Biologics this Shield would ensure that flesh and bone could not pass its threshold though other things were completely of doing so. Antar might recall how an arrow had broken the Shield last time but that would not occur this time. The Shield was tasked only to do this one thing, Eryss had no desire for it to perform any other function.]

[Anyone approaching would have seen a small patch of firelight and the Mage, cloaked beneath his robes, sitting near it with hands outstretched as he used the ambient heat to keep himself warm. His voice carried from where he could be seen and a song was heard passing from him sibilantly into the surrounding darkness...”Twinkle, twinkle light star. How I wonder what you are. Up above the world so bright. I’ll bring you down to burn Sunberth tonight.”...a morbid tune to be sure which he amused himself with as he hunkered down near the flames. Admiring the natural fire Eryss gave off the appearance that he had no idea anyone else may have been in the vicinity and he did not nor was attempting to keep an ear out for anyone because his Shield would ensure that sneaking closer to him was quite a fruitless endeavour.]

[Were Antar, Shai or anyone else to come within thirty feet of him at virtually any direction they would collide with the Shield which remained hidden until disturbed. When it was disturbed the Shield would likely flare to life and give off a hazy appearance before settling again and returning to an invisible state moments later. Someone who had no idea where the Shield was would likely be startled when they came into contact with it if they were walking, running a person could likely count on being tossed backwards a short distance as their momentum would have been greater. At this time the Mage would have likely known where they were too but that was in the future and not presently a concern.]

[Most people who knew Eryss wouldn’t consider him a craftsman because he wasn’t much of one but taking a small stick in one hand as he waited he’d remove his Dagger with the other and begin to slowly draw it across the wood, slicing strands away and watching as they fell into the fire, quietly admiring the wood as it burned in the flames. Once in awhile he would stop and stretch his hands out to warm them again but that was all. Wait long enough and someone might see him tilt his head backwards and look up towards the night sky and try to pinpoint the brightest star there, maybe the one that he was singing about and wanted to send crashing down into the world like a herald of destruction from the heavens above.]
Eryss Waldu
Villain

Words: 240296
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Character sheet

Next