Finding Sanctuary [Kavala]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on April 30th, 2010, 3:52 am

"He'll be good to have around," Raiha agreed, smiling a little. "I'm not sure if he will, though... or if he'll have just gone back to Syliras. He knows I was coming here," she eyed the waterfall, and wondered what the water would be like under and around it. She would have to check that out later... and definitely when the weather was warmer. That icy water looked pretty cold to her, and it was already chilly enough for someone used to Mura's temperate climes. Diallo sniffed around happily, wandering off a little bit, only to come right back. She debated telling Kavala how they had met, nibbling on her bottom lip.

What did I tell you about talking to others about anything private? Kanikra warned her. Although I suppose you've told her so much already... no more, Raiha. Who knows how long this arrangement will work out? Why do you want to tell her so much? And Asim is a private one, too. He doesn't appreciate it. Raiha flushed a little. That was true. Asim wouldn't like it, if he showed up. She had told Kavala about as much as she should, really... that he had gotten off the boat and hadn't gotten back in time. That was general enough.

Raiha hadn't entirely known what to expect at Sanctuary, but this... this was beyond what she could have imagined. The interest and delight was clear on the Akontak's features, her gold eyes about ready to pop out of her head. It was very different from her home in Mura, and different in a very good way. There was some roughness to it in a way that pleased her and Kanikra both, even if her black twin would never admit it. "If he comes, we'll share. We shared on the boat here. He'll be fine." She nodded at Kavala's ideas as to where to position the mews. They would figure it out. It would work either way, and it would work well. "Do you get a lot of snow in the winter? Is it really windy, blustery?" Those were all factors to keep in mind for a mews, Raiha figured. The challenge for her would be adapting to the difference in climate. She was sure that in time the weather wouldn't bother her, but for now, she was cold, cold, cold, cloak or not.

"Do you keep any dogs around?" Raiha inquired as she called Diallo back when the dog started sniffing a little too much, tail up. Diallo was fine with other dogs, but Raiha just wanted to make sure anyway. "Go on. Go stay with Yakini," she told the grey and white Deerstalker, who nosed Kavala again for the moment before going to wait by the Firemane mare. "I'll keep Uzima with me for now - I don't trust her not to be mean to that poor owl," Raiha shook her head at the hawk perched on the reinforced back of her saddle. Asim's pack was put aside with hers and her saddlebags in her new room, Yakini was untacked, brushed, and let to rest in a proper stall on actual land for quite a while. The mare was more than appreciative.

By the time the tour was done, Raiha was just... amazed, and that was putting it mildly. Looking out over the sea, goshawk on her wrist, dog in the stables... it was all she could do to look out over the sunset and keep her jaw from dropping. "Thank you," she told Kavala quietly. "Thank you. This is everything I could have ever hoped to find... and more. It's a Sanctuary in place and name."
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on May 3rd, 2010, 1:52 am

Kavala smiled and nodded as Raiha said she'd bunk with Asim if he showed up. "That works then. We get short on room with too many people here, but I'm going to remedy that by adding second stories to the guest rooms. There's plenty of room to build up and put a rooftop mews on if we need too like the west wall has a second story. We can add a single staircase and a shared balcony with both quarters too." Kavala looked thoughtful. For such a big place, Sanctuary always had room at a premium. She didn't mind though. It was nice to have company.

"There's an Ivaski that I think used to serve a Konti that has either died or moved on. He's very very old though, but we feed him regardless. I don't think he exactly 'stays' here though. He lives outside somewhere and comes in for bad weather and storms. I'd like to breed Watchers and Silkena's eventually though. They are nice dogs."
Kavala said. "There's kennels in the basement under the clinic so we always have room for puppies and those recovering from healing." She added, looking thoughtful. "I really don't know where I'll get the original stock from, but we'll find them somewhere." Kavala said, distracted momentarily as she seemed to be adding that thought to her mental list of 'todos'.

"The owl can take care of himself. But I think that would be best. He's got one eye, but I suspect he lost it killing a glassbeak or something. It's just his attitude... which is kinda interesting. He thinks hes twice as big and half his actual age." The Konti admitted.

She smiled at Raiha's admission. "You're welcome.. and thanks for offering to help. We really need it. Can I do anything to help you settle in?" She asked.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Raiha on June 1st, 2010, 1:13 am

She nodded. That made sense to her. "Independent dogs," Raiha remembered the Ivaskis. "Good ones. I wasn't going to stay in Mura long enough to get into the Opal Order... I couldn't stay. It wouldn't have worked for me, and so I have no right to an Ivaski. I like my Diallo, though. He's a good dog. All dogs are good dogs," she grinned a little at that. Diallo was her first, and she'd come a long way with the enormous Deerstalker. She had to rack her brain to call to mind what the Silkenas and Watchers were. Birds she could rattle off, but dogs... no. But that she could learn. A trip to the library, a day of reading and reading and reading, and she would be fine... even if she didn't necessarily want to spend a day indoors. Well, she'd wait for a lousy day, or make a couple evening trips, do some reading then. Raiha liked to read, but she liked to be outside, she liked to be moving. Kanikra hated to waste time indoors unless it was on what her black twin considered 'productive', and it rarely was.

"Watchers... those are those big dogs, the tall lean ones, with the pointed or floppy ears?" Raiha rested a hand on her hip, thinking. "I saw some of those in Syliras. We could talk to a merchant about bringing some back, if you wanted? It's a little bit of a boatride, but that's not much of an issue if you're careful enough. Silkenas... they don't ring a bell," the Akontak looked apologetic. Here she was, taking a job at an animal center, and she didn't know what a Silkena was. She wasn't about to try to go around Kavala and make it seem like she knew more than she did. That was dishonest, and if she knew anything about Konti from living among them all her life, it was that they always seemed to have a very, very good sense about when someone was lying to them. "Does anyone in town keep them?"

She smiled at the question about settling in. "No, no need. I already have. I should go tend to Yakini and Uzima, though... but is there anything you want me to get started on?" Raiha was well determined to earn her keep, and make sure Kavala didn't regret hiring her.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on June 1st, 2010, 5:59 pm

ImageKavala shook her head. "No... No one keeps them, not that I know of. But you are right, if we speak to one of the ship captains, maybe they can be on the lookout for a few dogs for us. I'll have to see the harbormaster for that, but it shouldn't be hard. He'll know who to talk too." She added, looking thoughtful. "I'd like a complete list of things we have for sale.. animals for adoption etc. To help us advertise. I know the Akalak all have people they want to please with gifts. Dogs are fine presents to a wife or son as well." Kavala was always thinking about how to improve Sanctuary's profits. More income meant helping out more people and animals. but I'll need you to start bright and early though.

Kavala smiled. "No, just settle in tonight. Move into your quarters, start thinking about the mews, and relax. We always need help feeding in the mornings, and that is just at sunrise. So how about I see you then. If you get hungry, we'll all be gathering around sunset to eat on the Veranda. You are always welcome to come and join us then for a bite." Kavala said, knowing Raiha probably needed time to settle in and get her things unpacked and do a little exploring of her own. "Feel free to wander the facility and get your bearings." She added, then with a smile left the woman alone so she could find her own way and decide if this sort of life was what she really wanted.

Kavala hoped it was. She hoped Raiha would stay and be happy. The Konti desperately needed more company around, especially female company, in the sea of men all around her.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Puck on June 7th, 2010, 6:33 am

Thread Award

Kavala
    Skills
    Rhetoric - 1
    Interrogation - 1

Lore
    Lore of Akontaks

Raiha
    Skills
    Rhetoric - 1
    Interrogation - 1

Lore
    Lore of The Sanctuary

Note: I would have loved to see this thread progress a bit more! I think Kavala and Raiha are too perfect for each other, and would liked to have seen more of their interaction on the Sanctuary. They're both in their element there, and each has a lot to teach the other about the craft!

EDIT: Upon further deliberation, I have decided that the discussion that takes place within this thread warrants some experience in rhetoric and interrogation
Puck
Loving your Lazy Eye

Words: 143109
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous