Finding Sanctuary [Kavala]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on March 6th, 2010, 4:09 am

Closed. Kavala, please. Others by invitation.

22nd of Spring, 510 AV

Interesting, Kanikra observed as Raiha led Yakini on foot through Riverfall. Very, very interesting. More people. Look at that water. It has more colour than Mura. Probably more flavour, too...

Raiha couldn't argue with that, although there was a hard feeling of rebuke over the crack about 'vanilla' Mura. It was much colder here, though, even though it was beginning to thaw. She had the hood of her cloak up, to try to keep herself dry. Relatively, anyway, all things considered, she had a feeling that staying dry in a city named 'Riverfall' would be bordering on impossible. There was a fine mist of rain coming down, and with the blustering winds, she kept Uzima close to her chest. The goshawk wasn't entirely thrilled with these weather developments, and shifted on the gauntlet, locking her toes in to stay put. Diallo trotted alongside her, shaking occasionally to get the accumulated moisture out of his short white-and-grey coat. He knew better than to wander off, after all, even if this was some place new. She wasn't interested in showing the blue men, her father's people, just what she was just yet. She wanted to be able to see what was happening and what was going on first before she caught their attention.

She just wanted a look around, to see where everything was, to get a feel for the place. Then she would go back up to the inn and check in. It would do until she found a place for them to stay. She would have to ask around and see where she could find to work, but Raiha wasn't too worried. There was always bound to be someone that would give her a place to stay, and have work to be done. Optimistic, aren't you? sighed Kanikra.

As usual, Raiha told her, almost cheerfully, looking around. You should be pleased. Look at where we are. You wanted to come here, remember? You wanted more challenges. Broaden the horizons, isn't that what you said? She let out a low, quiet whistle at the gushing floods pouring down from overhead, though she actually stopped to look rather than continue to pick her way along the city. She had never seen anything like it. The trip from Mura to here was certainly an eye-opener... and she thought that she, perhaps, preferred this wild, untamed sort of beauty that came from the pouring, ceaseless water than the demure, crystalline lakes. Part of her knew that Riverfall was home, just like Mura was. She walked between the two, neither one nor quite the other, never supposed to fit in in either. But here, she could try. If the worst came to worst, she would pack up, return to Konti Isle, and see about building herself something small outside of the city and just live off of the land. Even if she didn't want it to go that way... but, well, it was a worst-case scenario.

Oh, please, she scoffed. You think in a new place you can learn discipline to change your life and give you choices. I know you. I know better. You'll be on the next boat home when you can't cope... Raiha ignored her as she took in the buildings, carefully picking her way down from the third tier where she had landed to make her way towards the second tier. Easy... easy. She smiled at a passing Konti from under her hood. Even if she didn't know her personally, it was always nice to see other Konti... a sudden gust of wind blew her hood off, then, even as she ducked her head to try to avoid it, but holding onto Yakini's reins with one hand, and having a hawk balanced on the other wrist... Cover blown, Raiha blinked, now exposed, her white braids visible against her blue skin, her golden eyes bright, and grinned almost sheepishly, having been revealed as the hybrid she was. "Good afternoon. Do you live around here? Or just visiting?"
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Re: Finding Sanctuary [Kavala]

Postby Kavala on March 10th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Kavala wasn't one to stare. Not normally. She'd seen quite a few odd things in her life, and sometimes she thought nothing would surprise her. Evidently she was wrong. When the wind plucked a strangers hood off, the konti noticed something immediately. She was a rare hybrid. It was a startling sight. Everyone had heard that sometimes the Akalak and Konti could produce such creatures, but Kavala herself had never seen one. Well, that was, up until now. She'd been in town just for a walk, to get away for a little while. Sometimes life happened that way - an urge to escape, a need for change - that lead to another discovery. Kavala wondered if this was one such discovery.

Kavala halted her steps, her own cloak hood blowing off her head revealing her features as she scanned the strangers. A woman... no less, noted the Konti as her eyes casted about and noted first the goshawk, the dog, and then the mare with the woman. "No, I live around here. I work at the stables and animal rescue on the outskirts of town. I live there." She said, stuttering slightly in surprise. "Nice Gosshawk. We don't have many falconers around here." She commented, eyes noting the woman's confidence with the bird, the way the dog followed her, and the calmness of the mare.

"I'm sorry.. I just... you startled me. I've heard of ... well, its not important. My name is Kavala. Is there someplace your looking for? I can probably give you directions. I've been here enough months now that I know my way around a little, at least."
The Konti said, offering the stranger a smile. She had none of her animals with her, preferring to walk to town on foot. It was a silly notion, but some ways the solitary walk to town helped her shattered confidence and gave her strength she wouldn't otherwise have. The only time she brought a horse or at least the pony cart was if she had groceries to buy or supplies to bring home.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Raiha on March 12th, 2010, 5:24 am

Raiha flushed a little when Kavala began to stutter, and if her hands hadn't been full, she may have reached to touch the young woman. But as it was, the Akontak could only stand quietly, letting Yakini peer around her shoulder with interest, blowing her nostrils at Kavala, and Diallo sat down at Raiha's other side. He'd grown up around Konti, after all, and didn't much mind him. It was a different thing with the blue fellows around them, but the big bull of a dog just opened his mouth and panted, his tongue dangling as he looked up at Kavala. Raiha's grin went from sheepish to hopeful as the Konti mentioned the stables and animal rescue; and brightened and became even friendlier still at the compliment about Uzima. Clearly, this blue-skinned young woman was proud of the small contingent she was traveling with, and pleased to hear any sort of praise about them.

"Kavala," Raiha breathed the Konti's name. It was lovely, silky, and rolled off the tongue well, and suited this exquisite woman like a hand to a glove. "My name is Raiha," she smiled down at her. "This is Uzima, Diallo, and Yakini," she introduced each of her animals in turn, from the Goshawk to the Deerstalker to the Firemane. "I just arrived on the boat from Syliras... I'm from Mura, originally." There was something about her that made her easy to talk to. Raiha didn't know just what it was, but it worked. It was an interesting feeling. She was usually a private person, but Kavala... Stop it, Kanikra snapped at her. You are gushing and you are making a fool of yourself. Keep your fucking mouth shut and get moving. Put your hood back up and go find some place to... No. No. No. No! A slight tension was there and gone in Raiha's eyes as she tried to drown her black twin out with the sounds of the water and everything Kavala had said. Yakini, in the mean time, stuck her head over her rider's shoulder, extending her nose towards Kavala, nostrils flaring, an interested look in her eyes.

"I consider myself a falconer, but I work fairly well with most animals, you see... and I was hoping to find a job myself." Raiha was logical - perhaps the Akalak would support her, her being female and an Akontak, but she did not care to beg, or be given something she could work for and earn herself. Being given something put you in a debt, but earning it... well, earning it was a fair exchange. Raiha was not afraid of work, and she never had been. What she was nervous about was work with other people. That was the harder part. Animals, animals made sense. She could understand the way they thought, the way they acted, and why. Nature, for all its unpredictable twists and turns made more sense than the ways people interacted with each other. "There wouldn't be any openings where you work, would there? I'm learning medicine, I can groom horses, muck stalls, and clean mews. I'm a fast learner, and I'm not afraid to get dirty."
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 14th, 2010, 1:28 am

Kavala listened closely. She smiled at the animals, nodding to each in turn as she was introduced, then nodded when Raiha indicated she was from Mura. It made sense. That was where she'd originally heard of the Akontak, as if they were some whispered phenomenon that probably shouldn't exist that did. Truth be told, she hadn't heard too much information about them and wondered if they had the same sort of secret most Akalak did. Kavala watched closely, certain now she could spot the signs of a secondary spirit, after her time with Sorian and other Akalak about Riverfall. There was a sudden tension, a relaxation, and a brief unfocusing of the girls eyes for a moment as if she spoke or listened to another voice within her head.

Ahh. So they were cursed too.

Kavala lifted her hand, extended it towards the mare, fingers curled protectively into her palm so the horse could have a good sniff and admired the firemane for a few minutes, thinking what a fine foal she'd have with Sivak, who was currently devoid of mares that were anywhere close to his bloodlines. Firemanes were created as riding animals off the Seme draftstock, so Kavala knew their baby would be a towering beauty with more fluid grace than Sivak and more bulk than Yakini.

Anyhow...

Attention re focused on Raiha, Kavala kept listening and nodded. "I've been meaning to build a mews at Sanctuary due to the nature of the work, but since we haven't any resident birds yet, it hasn't become necessary. Well, we do have a one-eyed barn owl, but he prefers to perch in the rafters. But... regardless yes we are hiring. It has to involve all sorts of work though, since there's a stable and a medical clinic for animals. Any healing or medicine would be greatly appreciated. I'm paying 5 GM a day but that includes housing, and food though none of us can cook really well." Kavala said softly, almost shyly.

"Would you like to come see the place?"
She asked. "Your animals, of course, would be welcome to stay. We'd find places, though with almost thirty horses now room is at a premium. But I have a Seme stallion that would produce fantastic offspring with your firemane." The konti said once more, curious if the woman would take her up on the offer.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on March 14th, 2010, 5:40 am

Yakini snuffled the proffered hand approvingly. Good smells. Other horses, calmness, confidence. To see Yakini's reaction was enough to lift Raiha's heart. Horsepeople, sometimes, were few and far between, but Yakini seemed to like this calm Konti, and Diallo, well, he was wagging his tail and panting. Diallo didn't just like everyone he came across, either. The Akontak transferred the horse's reins to the hand where Uzima rested, and she reached down to scratch behind Diallo's ears, murmuring a quiet 'good dog' at him. He was a good boy, yes, he most certainly was.

"Thank you, thank you... from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I would love to." There was naked gratitude on her face. "I promise you I'll make it worth your coin. I'm not much of a hand at cooking," Raiha admitted, "but I can learn." She had no problems with it - if she liked to eat, and she did, then she should likely learn to cook. It was a logical leap, wasn't it? And she would do whatever she had to do to make herself useful and worth the wages. Goddess. She would work hard to make it a fair deal to Kavala, too. "I'm up for anything... I can hammer nails, help with the mews, nurse, doctor, heal, cook, whatever you would like. She considered. She had heard of the Semes, the big, powerful horses. They would be beautiful. "And I do not mind... a good match, I think, even if I don't know quite so much about horses yet. Such a foal would be a sight to behold. Yakini would be a good mother, I think," she smiled over her shoulder at the mare, shifting the reins once more.

"By the way," she added almost hesitantly, "later, a friend of mine might come. A bear... we got separated up at the last port, but he knew I was coming here. I think... well, I hope... that he will catch up. He disembarked at port a little bit north of here to catch himself some fresh fish... and didn't come back to the boat. He'll behave himself... he's Kelvic, so it's not like he's entirely feral. He's pretty well-behaved. He gets along with Yakini and Diallo." Uzima liked to nip people, and rather than risk it, Raiha had kept her goshawk and the Kelvic separate. All it would take would be for one swipe and then Raiha would be a falconer without a bird. She really, really hoped that that last part wasn't a deal breaker.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 15th, 2010, 3:04 am

Kavala smiled. "I don't need to be thanked. I should be the one thanking you. I really need the help both in the clinic and stables, and it will be nice to have someone around that knows something of falconry. It's a delicate skill and one I haven't had a chance to even remotely train in yet. Likely I'll never have much raptor experience. The horses and clinic keep me busy. But your help will sure be welcomed." The konti said, shifting a package she carried which was full of an assortment of spices to another hand.

"I'm heading home now if you'd like the tour. And a Kelvic? I've met a few and of course one would be welcome so long as hes respectful of the other animals there. Having a bear around is a good protection, and would be good for training the horses against spooking too."
The konti mused, nodding at Raiha. "I can't pay him since I have a very limited budget, but he can stay if he wants." The konti said, making sure she made the rules clear enough. "Besides, I think part of our job is helping kelvics at the clinic. His input as to how we do that could be invaluable." Kavala said, then turned and gestured for Raiha to follow her. They had quite a ways to walk because Sanctuary was on the outskirts of the top tier of the city.

As they walked, Kavala glanced at Raiha curiously. "Your mother was a Konti and your father an Akalak? Does that happen often, your particular... blend?" She asked. "I don't mean to pry, but I know quite a few things about the Akalak having lived here for a while. Do you have more of their traits than just skintone and height?" Kavala asked. She was asking a very specific question without trying to actually vocalize it. Two personalities. She wanted to know if Raiha had two personalities without going out on a limb and outright asking her. "I'm curious because I'm oath bound to give Riverfall a child. They have a word for it, Navivak, so there's always a chance.... " The Konti said, looking sheepish.

"And.. tell me about your firemane... does she stall easily or would she rather run free? I'm currently running about thirty horses if everyone foals on time at Sanctuary, so I need to thin down and sell some... so we have stalls, but not stall s for everyone. That's why I am asking."
She said, passing another building that looked like a Temple before heading down another side street.

Granted it wasn't much of one, but it made Kavala think about it all the same.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on March 17th, 2010, 12:48 am

Raiha inclined her head, shaking it slightly. She deserved no thanks - not yet. No. Within minutes of meeting her, Kavala had given her a place to stay and a place to work, and opportunities to get learn, to practice, to improve at what she wanted to. "I can teach you the basics of falconry, such as I know them," Raiha offered. "If you're comfortable with animals, and you are... then it's about hearing the birds and letting them do what comes naturally to them before coming back to your hand," she offered. She wasn't sure how good of a teacher she would be, considering she was still learning as she went, and some of it came from what she heard and a basic understanding of the creature's wants and needs.

"He'll behave," the Akontak promised her new employer. "He's a little grouchy and surly... but once you get to know him, he's really very nice. He saved my life when we first met," she smiled a little at that. "No, no, I understand about the job. I only wanted to know if he could stay. I'll look after him," she assured her. She wouldn't hardly think of asking her to hire Asim. No. She was already being paid a fortune. "He'll behave himself. What all do you... we... do with Kelvics at the clinic? Medical and behavioural care?" she had to confess she was curious. But she was all for helping people, even if Kanikra disagreed, and strongly so. As far as Raiha was concerned, if they needed help, and it was in her ability to give it... then you did. It was as simple as that.

She followed Kavala, having drawn her hood back up to cover herself once again. She had doubtless already been seen quite a bit... but she wanted the opportunity to look around in relative peace and quiet and hopefully pass as unnoticed for a bit longer to see how Riverfall was to an outsider, and then... well, then she would let them know what she was. Maybe some of them would know of her father, or where, possibly, to find him. Diallo went back and forth between the two of them, occasionally coming up to nudge and nose Kavala's hand. Helloooooo there!

Raiha nodded at the questions. "Akontak are quite rare," Raiha admitted. "Most that are born don't survive. It was touch and go for me for ten years. But for the Opal Order... I would have died then. I was a very sickly child," she explained. At the query about other traits, she considered. "I have gills, and I can breathe underwater... no scales, though," she adjusted the cloak to reveal the slits in her throat for Kavala to see if she wanted to have a look. "I've always seen well in the dark, though I supplement it with Auristics as well. I understand birds well, well, basically what their needs and wants are... just sort of an innate understanding of it... even before I began to learn falconry. I don't have any sort of real vision otherwise," she shook her head there.

Don't you tell her, Kanikra warned. Do not tell her. What would night-mother Akajia say? Some secrets are not meant to be shared. Those are for you and for me. Why tell everyone about us? Let it be a surprise.

I can't do that, Raiha told her twin. It's not fair to her.

I'm warning you...! the pressure was building in her head, painfully so as Kanikra drove the point home. Raiha almost stumbled, closing her eyes briefly. Diallo was back, then, pressing his bulk against her, letting out a rumble of concern. Raiha caught herself then, though, as Uzima let out a shriek, and flapped her wings, her talons sunk into the protective leather glove. She breathed heavily for a moment.

"I share myself with my twin sister," Raiha told Kavala quietly. "She comes out sometimes, usually after I've been practicing on Auristics or she sees an opportunity." As they walked she took in Riverfall, while Kanikra muttered and threatened her. She wouldn't forget this. Not at all. Raiha would suffer the consequences later. "And she's not happy with me right now for telling you this... but I felt it was fair warning. She's... very aggressive to the point where she's only not killed two people because she was stopped before she could by others." She glanced at Kavala, her golden eyes searching the Konti worriedly from under the hood. Did that change something?

"Yakini is fine either way," Raiha told her. "She can be stabled or she can run around in the pasture. She's an easy keeper." Her eyes were enormous at the very idea of thirty horses. She could only imagine! But the idea pleased and excited her, though - she could see the horses being born, and maybe she could learn to help out with them. "Is it just the two... three... of us working there, or do others stay with you as well?" The 'three' was an acknowledgment of Kanikra, which decreased her black twin's treacherous murmurs, if only for a bit. She would get Raiha for telling secrets that were not meant to be told.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 20th, 2010, 11:18 pm

She didn't mind the kelvic. Truthfully she didn't mind all the animals that came with the Akontak. She didn't know, though, if she'd mind the dark twin or not. Recently, shed' had enough experiences with Sorian that she wasn't sure how that would work. "Thank you for being honest about it. I know the Akalak are tight lipped as hell about their nature, which I think is half their problem. They don't let their otherselves out to play nearly enough, and it makes them violent... or brings out that tendency. I don't know. Maybe they are like that anyhow. Maybe not." It was obviously to Raiha that Kavala was a bit muddled on the topic, which fit in with how most of the Akalak were on the topic as well.

"I'm sorry shes upset." It was a good sign though. It meant that maybe Raiha kept an open dialog with her dark half rather than tried to shut her out altogether. Kavala, once again, figured that was the whole problem with the Akalak's themselves. They never truly embraced their duality. If they did, the Konti was convinced they'd be closer to the gods than any other race possible. Maybe the Akontak were already.

"I'm building some shelters outside for those that don't have stalls, so either way she won't be exposed. We can keep her stalled though, especially if we decide to breed her. She is lovely."
Kavala said once more. "I hope your handy with a hammer." Her grin was quick, infectious, as if she suddenly decided she wanted a friend. A friend that wasn't a sister who would do just about anything to make her happy. A sister she'd been avoiding just a tad bit.

"So far, I have two employees. I have my sister Akela, who's older and bossier... you'll meet her. She's security but does manual labor like the rest of us. And there's Awsten who is a groom and handiman. So you'd make a third. Awsten misses the grass though, so he can disappear just about any time. I think he thinks we need him so he stays, which is half true. We'd do fine without, but we'd rather have him." She said. "And there's visitors off and on. Sometimes customers, sometimes not. Kelvics too." She added, and then gestured to a shop near where they were walking.

"I need to stop in here and pick up two kits... a sewing kit and an embroidery kit. Do you mind waiting? It will take me but a moment, then I can head home and give you the grand tour."
Kavala said. If Raiha agreed, Kavala would duck into the small nondescript women's shop and pick up the sewing kit (18 GM) and embroidery kit (20 GM) a piece and be back out in a moment. It was her whole errand for the day visiting town anyhow.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on March 26th, 2010, 2:42 am

"You're giving me a place to stay and a home. Being honest is the very least I can do," Raiha smiled a little at that. If there was one thing she did, it was keep an open dialogue going with her black twin. She wasn't entirely good at shutting her up. Perhaps she wasn't supposed to be. "I don't blame them for being quiet about it. As she says... the night-mother gave us all secrets, and not all of them should be shared. But I trust you," the hood dipped as the Akontak inclined her head. "Truly told, she's never quiet unless it suits her for whatever reason. She has her own darkness, her own desires. Less, I think, because I do what I can to contain her, but because she genuinely enjoys it... but I cannot speak for others... just myself." She guided Yakini along. "Asim, the bear Kelvic, can just swat her... us... around if she gets too be too much of a problem. Of course, when I finally come around, I get to ache like she did."

Since you're already running your mouth, you may as well tell her my name, Kanikra told her grudgingly. 'She' is not acceptable. I have a name, you know.

I know, Raiha sighed heavily. I know. Relax. When the time is right, I'll tell her. She considered. Though, perhaps Avalis is teaching me some Divination, because somehow, I've a feeling you would rather introduce yourself in your own time.

Hn. I like that idea better. Don't worry about telling her, then.

I rather thought you would, Raiha sighed inwardly. Life was about give and take, really, wasn't it? Even if she knew that when you gave Kanikra an inch, she took the mile.

You're learning, Kanikra chuckled quietly. Not very fast... but you're learning.

At Kavala's grin, Raiha found herself grinning back beneath the hood, her white teeth contrasting with her blue lips. "I can use a hammer. Line up the nail, hold it carefully with your fingers, tape the hammer in a little to get the nail started, and pray you don't hit your fingers," she shook her head slightly. "Building shouldn't be that hard. I had a small mews back in Mura, where I kept Uzima and Kefi, my kestrel. It wasn't big, but it was functional." She had had help building it, but... well, surely the others would be able to help with it, too.

Nonetheless, she nodded at Kavala's explanations of Akela and Awsten. With a little luck, she'd get along with them. "Is Awsten an Akalak?" She didn't mind waiting at all, and was placidly waiting for Kavala when she returned. She was doing her best not to draw attention, but really... women tended do that in Riverfall. "Do you sew?" she asked curiously when Kavala came out and they were resuming their walk. "I never learned. I couldn't sit still long enough, though my mother always figured I would pick up some intricate craft eventually. She is a jeweler in Mura," she explained to the woman who was looking like she would be a new friend indeed. "Where do you hail from?"
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on April 13th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Kavala smiled. "That sounds about perfect to me. We learn as we go around here. If something needs done, we don't hire someone to do it unless its something so far out there none of us can possibly figure out how to do it. Stonework repair is a good example. We're not equipped for that. And the Kelvic should be helpful. I'd be good to have another pair of male hands around." She added, smiling.

They were walking now, out of the city and northward, along the rim of the cliff. Riverfall was truly a beautiful city with one of the most breathtaking views throughout all of Mizahar. She'd asked a local once why the waterfall didn't erode the cliff and move backwards, deepening the rend where the water fell season after season. The answer astonished her. The stone beneath Riverfalls base was one of the hardest known on Mizahar. It was infused with ore and so incredibly tough that it wasn't even easily carved unless by diamond cutters. So as a consequence it rarely eroded and when it did so it was so slow that the cliffs themselves kept pace giving the appearance that nothing ever changed when it did in fact, only subtly.

She loved Riverfall.

It was humbling to know... even more humbling to understand that Sanctuary was also something she loved. It made her happy in her own way, and as Kavala and Raiha walked along the roadway that lead out of the city through a grassy oak tree infested clifftops, they came across the low slung building in the distance, flanked by pastures and enclosed by an elaborate wooden gate. Kavala turned off the road, let Raiha inside, along with her menagerie, and introduced her to the realm of Sanctuary.

It was a large courtyard flanked on two sides by rows of box stalls. In front, or perhaps at the backside of the building was a two story structure that was part Kavala's home and part medicinal clinic for animals. At the back was also a large building, two in fact, that flanked either side of the gates that looked to be residential buildings as well. Kavala showed Raiha the building on the right of the gate. "You can take this as your quarters. If the Kelvic bear shows up you'll either have to share or he'll have to sleep outside somewhere. I don't mind if you share. There's plenty of room in there, so I could actually have them split into two quarters and still have them be fairly comfortable. Your mare can be stalled in any stall she wants except the stallion boxes which are larger and in the corners. And as for the mews... we'll have to think about where we want them. I was thinking of building a stairway onto the roof and keeping it there... we can actually add a second story to the these residents and make one a living area and one a mews." She said uncertainly - still trying to decide.

"We can also build the mews on the ground floor too and just put it outside the courtyard or tucked into maybe the opposite corner from the Veranda. We do all the cooking on the Veranda since we don't have an actual kitchen other than the hearths in each room and in my quarters. I'm going to add a stairway on this side outside up to my quarters too for ease of getting to stalls. It was a nightmare during foaling."
She said, gesturing at the clinic.

Then, she gave Raiha the complete tour, including letting her know that her own quarters were more than fine for using if and when she needed them. Kavala's room was sort of plain, but the deck overlooking the Suvan Sea was breathtaking.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next