(Flashback) This Place, This Face

Auldwin's hard work did not pay off. He was not able to gain the help of a Spiritist, one of the few entities that could help him. Do second chances exist?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Auldwin on January 7th, 2012, 4:39 am

Auldwin nodded absently as Camdren explained his experience with Ghosts. Certainly some seemed to hold on for quite some time. The things they held onto were of varying importance, and even Auldwin sometimes wondered just how powerful his own alliance was to the things he had in life. He had a wife and a home, but somehow both of those things seemed to pale in comparison to the mind-crushing inquiries he had about his own death. Those questions stuck with him with such fury that they drove him to this obsession, this inability to let go. Perhaps he could become like Valorona, one unable to let go for all eternity.

No, he would find his answers before that. He had to. "I've some experience in dealing with Ghosts, outside of my own existence. Although I've never used it in such a manner, I have something of a strange skill in remaining covert. Possession is one of my specialties, and whether by my own obsession or not, I've found it somehow enlightening to possess animals and understand how their bodies work. It's possible I can maintain one of these creatures until the time comes when a physical body can no longer keep up with this Valorona. Auldwin had begun to think out loud." It was almost an oddity how quickly Auldwin had picked up the power of his own Soulmist. To think that only a few years back he could barely swing a door open to enter a room, and now he was hurling objects if it was required and Possessing creatures. Even his ability to recollect his appearance in life was strengthening.

"That's good information, given I shouldn't have much chance to get her confused with anyone else, it should be plenty to go on. I think the difficulty will be maintaining a good viewing distance once I've spotted her. But I'm ready, I've been awaiting this day for a long time. For that reason, for those goals I won't fail. I'll return when I learn just what is going on." Auldwin stated, his echo seemed full of confidence now, despite the depression of his state, he felt the odd sensation of hope. "Be prepared to take on your first Ghost student." Despite the difficulty in expressing anything given his ethereal state, the form of his grin just about resounded through his words.

When Camdren was finished with anything further and allowed Auldwin to leave, it was a matter of finding a suitable creature to Possess, if anything living even ever came around those ruins. Auldwin had some experience, though his ability to provide the precise movement and mannerisms of a non-Humanoid thing he Possessed was sketchy at best. Perhaps, if things went well he would not even need to attempt such a thing, and he could simply remain immaterial and tail this spectral woman at a distance. He had to find her first, of course. The Ghost would visit the shore, it was best to stick with the information he was given. Every Ghost had their compulsions, it was time to use them to his own advantage.
Auldwin
In this state I can find a purpose.

Words: 166853
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2011, 11:48 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Trident on February 8th, 2012, 8:33 pm

OoCDear lord. I am so, so, so sorry I haven't replied to this! You now officially have permission to kill me.

The heavy brows that rested above Camdren's eyes settled slightly as the ghost spoke. He didn't say anything, but a sudden stride took the drykas man over to the wicker chair, where he settled in an affectation of easy relaxation. The overhanging bookcase left the man in shadow, though his eyes shone forth like candles. Something akin to respect gleamed there as he watched Auldwin.

"That's good." he replied at last. "If you can, report back to me at dusk. That's the time the ruin ghosts are least aware of their surroundings; it would be the best time for us to meet. If that is not available, however, come back to me at whatever time is best for you." Urgency twisted his face into a frown. "Speediness is preferable to stealthiness, in this case."

A hand was waved in the air. "Go, now." the voice emerged again from the chair. "Your target awaits."

Outside the cottage, several mice and a rabbit milled around, scrounging for the merest herbs that grew up between what had once been a paved path outside Camdren's house. All of them were suitable for Possession, though if he so wished larger animals were available further away from the ruins. He might even pass one as he made his way to the shores.

Because that was where he had to go, of course.

The grey waters of the Suvan appeared faster than one would have thought. The ruins were right on the edges of the sea, and it was a wonder the pre-Valterrian village hadn't been submerged in water during the catastrophic sinking of Suva. Perched on the white rocks that spanned the distance between grassland and water was a woman, or at least what appeared to be one. Her graceful bosom intimated a form that both lofty and grand, but most of the details of her figure couldn't be made out as she stood facing the sea. A dress colored flickering grey, a shade just darker than the ocean itself, wrapped around all of her form. The only part that laid unclothed was her head, from which long black tresses flowed freely down to her back.

She was hunched over as though wracked by sorrow, but no cries arose from her throat. Even as Auldwin watched Valorona would straighten up, her form rising until it hovered a few inches above the ground. An ethereal miasma of soulmist emanated from her skin as her head slowly craned, looking to the left. After a minute or so the ghost began to glide that way down the shoreline, to a location somewhere to the north.

But where was she headed? And why?

Development ThreadDS OfficeSuvan SeaSuvan Sea Lore

---

Accepting more moderated threads now on a limited basis. PM me for more information.
Trident
Welcome to no man's land

Words: 105060
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2011, 3:58 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous