[Frostfawn Hold] The Dawn of New Ambitions [Hadrian]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Ethan on November 29th, 2011, 8:58 am

90th of Fall, 511 A.V.
Midday, Avanthal, Hadrian's Room

"So how is this going to work?" Said Ethan, keeping his Auristic senses trained on the door for any unwanted ears. They where far from Ravok, but Hadrian stressed the importance of secrecy. "Do i just walk up to the commander and hand him the note and be off? Do i need some token or seal. Or will the letter be enough?" He had learned much and more since traveling with Hadrian. Admittedly he had been a little ignorant of Human culture and their bureaucracy. Some things just couldn't be taught. You had to see them for yourself.

"I don't want to linger in that fortress any longer than i have to. Not seeing the sky unnerves me. Its unnatural to be living beneath all that stone." He said. Leaving off the part about the Sylrian Knights. He understood their motives for trying to shoot him down. But good intentions didn't erase the bubbled scar on his thigh. "And lets not forget my compensation. Your dear to my heart, but nothing is free." He sat on Hadrian's bed. As the Mage scribbled away on the desk. Ink pots and rolls of parchment scattered about.

"I'll bring enough Copper to fill my belly and keep my cock wet. Thats not the kinda payment I'm talking about. Its favors i want. Recommendations to these knights of yours or whoever this is going to. If they hold power, i want my name mentioned. And my leal service." He smiled, contemplating his Ascension into the hierarchy of Syliras. He was only a poor little Kelvic, but he had aspirations. And ideas for change. Change that required support from powerful men and women. "If you would be so kind. Mention my humble skills in magic, but make no mention of what my animal form is." If slavers knew you where a Kelvic. You were targeted without doubt. But you still had a chance if they guessed the wrong animal.
Last edited by Ethan on March 5th, 2012, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on December 19th, 2011, 6:46 am

"You're going to fly to Syliras with my note tied to your leg," he said even as he encrypted his message to the cipher he had been given before they left Syliras for Ravok.

Venidus of the Rising Sun guarded the building while I prepared my magics within the abandoned building. Glassbeaks were called from far Shoyden, gone feral and wild after the failure of the Alahean outpost.

He continued to write, his thoughts slowly taking form in ink, unreadable save for those of the Knighthood's crypographing peers who would take this report of their activities in Ravok and, he hoped, monopolize upon them. It had taken him some time to familiarize himself with the cipher, but he was gradually becoming more adept at translating thought into code.

The man Atelius seems a likely ally, he wrote of the man he had met who was not what he seemed, what he said, or what Hadrian thought. Still his own hypnotic powers had charmed that man who was not who he said he was. Whether Hadrian had been the victor of their meeting remained to be seen. But he would not come along to Avanthal. He remains in Ravok.

"I can introduce you in here," Hadrian said, not looking up from his work. "What do you wish for compensation. I will remind you that before you met me, you could not read auras nor bend the Air to your will." This was not said in a trenchant manner, but he did not want his beloved Kelvic friend to take advantage of him, either. Some Kelvics were just opportunistic enough to bite the hand that fed them in the hopes that they could get more.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on December 29th, 2011, 11:15 pm

"That is true." Ethan smiled. It was foolish of him to think he could ask so much of his teacher. He was much to smart to be bent easily. Boldness worked very little, sugar even less. There had to be something that Hadrian took too. Sex maybe? But Kendall had already corned the market, unfortunately. Hadrian took his work very seriously. More so than most people in powerful positions. That was the problem, he was too sincere in his work.

He walked over and placed a hand on his friends shoulder. "I never forget all that you have done for me, Hadrian. I'm not a fair weather friend as most humans are. And I do not wish to act unappreciative or step beyond my place as your student. But I have plans for the future and the more people I have in my pocket the better..." Ethan looked over his shoulder. Hoping to catch a glimpse of what he wrote. But it was a mess of letters, numbers and symbols. Perhaps that was for the best. If he was captured the less he knew, the better.

"Also you owe me for carting Kendall out of Ravok. I love her like a sister... Or is it brother? It doesn't matter. You still owe me. I dealt with her grim moods the whole way up. And I kept her safe." He smirked, leaving out the part of bashing her around a bit. But he probably already knew. With the split lip Kendall was sporting when he arrived. "I don't envy you Hadrian. He is a handful. But at least you get sex out of it. The whole way up I got nothing from her. And gods know I tried. I thought you where dead of course. Otherwise I wouldn't be telling you." He chuckled.

"You know how long its been since I had sex? Far too long for being this handsome. And these Vantha girls are too whimsical for my taste. Good to look at but nothing but snow up top. It's getting so bad I thought about petching a Raven that was giving me the eye. But it's plumage was all wrong. Poor thing was dreadful to look at. It would be a discredit to my species."
Last edited by Ethan on March 5th, 2012, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on January 1st, 2012, 11:29 am

Hadrian awkwardly patted Ethan's hand upon his shoulder, then let his hand rest there for the time being, trying to show his affection despite his natural inclination toward stoicism.

"I had thought it understood that we were both doing for each other, looking out for each other. Of course, I appreicate all you did for Kendall, and if he -- if she -- were to desire you, I would not stand in the way. You are a good looking fellow, as you say. If it's sex you're after, I can tie a small pouch of gold to your leg as well, so you can pay for some in the Golden Dragon. Is that what you wish?"

He patted Ethan's hand again, then went back to encoding his message: The man who bears this to you, Ethan, is someone I trust implicitly, though he is not trained to subterfuge, and should be told explicitly if something is meant to be a secret.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on January 14th, 2012, 8:42 am

Ethan looked at Hadrian confused. Trying to see if he was joking. After a moment he smiled. Kendall and Hadrian where exactly the same. Both intense and knew little of sarcasm. Or Ethan was just too good at it. Years of putting on a mask could blur the difference between truth and fiction.

"It was a joke Hadrian. Honestly, I don't know what to do with you sometimes. You and Kendall both." Laughed Ethan.

"And your right. What we do for each other is because we are so close. All I ask for is a mention of my service. I don't fancy myself ever becoming a steel clad knight. But Ravok and its slave markets need to be eliminated. I want to help if I can." He sat down next to his Teacher. Looking at the coded letter. Hadrian was a good honest man. It was only right that Ethan returned the kindness. And told him his intentions. Life had always taught him to keep his interests to himself. His motives secret. That no one could be trusted. It was hard to get out of the mindset. Even with Hadrian.

"Are you sure you and Kendall will be fine on your own? I won't be around to keep you safe from above. And Zulrav knows you Humans get lost easily." Will they miss me? He wondered. It was strange how he suddenly cared. He didn't mind when he flew after Sondra. But that felt different. there was a serious reason to go. This was just a petty errand. They are just humans. Why should I care what they think?

[b]"Promise not to venture anywhere while I'm gone. If I have to come and find you two, I will be ruffled."
Last edited by Ethan on March 5th, 2012, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on January 15th, 2012, 11:42 pm

"Someday I hope I learn to understand bird-brained humor," he said with a quiet smile, his own brand of humor hardly as boisterous as Ethan's own, but the bird-brain was dear to him. "And if Kendall weren't so jealous, you might not even have to fly so far away for sex." His eyes flashed with humor and a vague sort of interest that might even make Ethan, well, nervous.

He continued with his cryptography, using the cipher MaeClair has suggested he use if writing from Avanthal, the location where it was written being a partial key to the code. She was a clever one, was MaeClair, his teacher in all things related to espionage. He wrote in code, The bearer of this message is, for obvious reasons, opposed to Ravok and its slave trade. He may well be amenable to working for you either in collaboration with me or on some other mission before returning to Avanthal.

"I know the horde of Icewatch bears don't match up to you in a fight, but they will protect Avanthal, and us in it. Also, Morwen Herself watches over the city. I think we will be safe here until you return to us. Sometime in the Spring, I think, we will continue west. There is much to see and we are not as ambulatory as you are, but I'll continue to work on my feathers and such. Perhaps by the time you come back, I will be able to match your form and you can finally teach me to fly."

He grinned, a sparkle in his eye. That was a day to which they both looked forward.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on February 12th, 2012, 5:35 am

Ethan tried to ignore Hadrian's... suggestions. Hoping the tingling in his groin would go away. The Mage obviously knew about his moods and arousal. With Hadrian's skill in Auristics. He could peek at Ethan's most personal emotions. No matter how withdrawn they were from others. It would be childs play to sense something as obvious and superficial as sexual interest.

"Yes, I suppose the pets of Avanthal would do well to protect you." He hated hearing about the Kelvic warriors that made up the Ice Watch. Seeing his race bred like common farm animals made his stomach sour. But he didn't expect Hadrian or any Human to fully understand.

"To be honest I'm happy you chose to become a bird. Instead of something gaudy and land locked. Like a damn polar bear. Most power hungry people would of chosen a brute beast. Thankfully your smarter than the average man. Because all the strength in the world won't save you at a cliffs edge. Or Take you to Syliras and back within a fort night." He grinned, pride seeping into his words.

"Where are we at with the encoding? Is it ready to be delivered? I'm itching to take flight again. Its been a while since I shifted and my brain gets all fogged up when I stay in either form too long." It was weird but he loved having Hadrian know little mundane details like that. Showed trust without ever having to say it.
Last edited by Ethan on March 5th, 2012, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on February 12th, 2012, 7:01 am

"Well, I would rather avoid conflict if possible," he said airily. "Some might call that cowardly, but I don't think there are enough people left in the world for us to be killing each other if we want to survive as a people. Perhaps it would be better if we didn't, but left the realm to you and your kind. Perhaps you would do better than we have."

His musings were just musings, though; Ethan had heard him get drunk and spill anthropological natterings until nobody else was listening. Hadrian's dreams, though, were beautiful. One just had to keep listening until he let them out. But after composing the last of his notes, he had to fall quiet and concentrate, a line appearing between his severe brows as he carefully double- and triple-checked the cipher and his translation of report into code. Then he calculated the three last symbols, alpha-numeric all, at the very end that not only identified him to the code-breakers of the Order of the Knights of Syliras, but gave them the key that would enable them to read his dispatch speedily and without breaking code at all.

"I'm finished now," he promised. "All I have to do is tie it to you and you can be off. Are you sure you don't want another big meal and a nap so you're full of energy for the trip?" He pointed a finger at the fine parchment and a gentle breeze emanated from it, fine aeromancy at work, drying the ink.

"Oh, and anyway. I'll have several forms eventually, but flight is a dream of mine, and I know I cannot keep you forever. I had best learn from the best out there, no?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on February 19th, 2012, 6:47 am

A world solely comprised of his brethren? It was a new concept to Ethan. Sadly one he never thought possible, so he brushed it aside for bigger dreams. He puzzled over it while Hadrian's interest was taken back to his work.

Kelvics didn't posses the population that Humans did. And they often kept to themselves. To the best of his knowledge there wasn't any groups of Kelvics gathered in the world. No piece of land they claimed as their own. Amongst animals you saw packs and tightly knit family units. But Kelvics weren't as simple as that. They where cursed to need a human counter part. Kelvics that where fortunate enough to escape harmful bonds. Often died in the withdrawal process. Like some addiction your body had to burn out. Ethan suffered the same when he left his master. And even after all this time. He still had cravings.

"What?" He said, as Hadrian's question brought him back to reality. "No, a nap will only make me want to linger more. I'm eager to feel a little warmth again. Winter in Syliras is a blessing compared to this." He motioned around him. "And don't be silly Hadrian. I'm not going anywhere. Couldn't if I wanted to. Who else would I find to be my teacher?" He smiled, and relieved himself of his clothing. Letting the thick comforting wools, puddle on the floor around him.

A bright flash and he was a Lammergeier once more. It was a relief to be in this skin again. Keeping in one point for too long. Fucked up his mind in strange ways. He tried to keep both forms in use equally. Never letting one dominate over the other. Ethan believed to be a true Kelvic meant to be a creature of balance. The power and morals of an animal but, the intelligence and heart of a man. He had a dream to one day build a school for Kelvics. Where he could gather like minded individuals to train and harbor his own kind.

Ethan hopped onto the table. Not wanting to flap about and scatter papers. He lifted up a fluffy feathered leg so Hadrian could tie on his important notes. The key to introducing him into the higher circles of Syliras.
Last edited by Ethan on March 5th, 2012, 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on February 25th, 2012, 11:15 pm

"Ah, well." He smiled and brushed his fingers through Ethan's feathers, grooming him just a bit since he wouldn't be able to reach every remote place on his body without someone to help him, and that might be a while. The message was tightly rolled and bound in oilcloth to keep out the damp, then tied carefully to Ethan's leg such that it shouldn't get in the way and, equally importantly, shouldn't fall off or catch the wind and get damaged.

"Do be careful, Ethan," he said, offering the lammergeier his wrist with the trust that his skin wouldn't get raked by those talons. "I can't fly yet to pull you out of trouble." He smiled, knowing he would probably not be much help even if he could fly, as it would require the bulk of his attention, making magic difficult.

"Say hello to Sondra for me, if you happen to see her." And then he opened the window, offering Ethan the sky.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Next