[Flashback] Stealing A Thief

Wherein Shadekas decides its high time for a pet based on a dare.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Shade on December 17th, 2011, 5:56 pm

20th of Spring, 511 AV, Nyka

They'd been drinking. It was always how these things went. And The Gods knew the Monks of Nyka weren't saints. Shade wasn't one either, though for the most part he tended to think himself having more common sense than naught. And though their duties were long and often times fraught with danger, the Monks weren't opposed to having a little fun. Shadekas, currently, was the center of the fun it seemed. Being called prude never bothered him, but to be outright insulted and accused of having no debase morals at all was offensive as hell.

"I can too steal. I have just never had cause to do it. Why should I? We're fed, clothed, and given work that's satisfying. I've not need for anything!" He exclaimed, laughing despite feeling the sting of the accusations of him being too straight laced.

A Xannos monk called from across the room. "Yea Shadekas, keep on telling yourself that. Ain't none of us here not stolen for a living at one time or another, even as adults. You, on the other hand, couldn't take candy from a baby. You're too soft hearted, Shadekas. Too soft by far!" A chorus of shouts in agreement filled the room. Shade felt his cheeks flush and knew the pressure was going to get to him. He was too old for these games, or to cow down to the wishes of other monks. But there was only so much bruising a man could take to his ego before a challenge needed to be accepted.

"I can steal anything I want. Anything." He explained, knowing the minute he'd said it, that it was a mistake. More guffaws followed. There was a multitude of suggestions thrown out from eligible comely little city lasses to Xannos' own jewels. Shade just laughed. Feeling nervous but trying to conceal it, Shadekas thought long and hard. It was obvious he was going to have to steal something to save face, but his morals left him very little options in terms of what hes could do and still live with himself. He wasn't a thief, in that much they were right, but he also wasn't going to let the lot of them label him as straight-laced either. That would mean more battles, a reputation with other district monks he didn't want, and a loss of merit to his own kin.

Plus, he was slightly drunk and not thinking straight. So as he cast his mind around ways, he lit on an idea that would perhaps provide enough entertainment to the crowd and save face all at once.

"Nyka has formidable defenders, but she has formidable enemies too." Shadekas said, then found his status as standing flat-footed on the ground ill-conceived for the speech he was about to give. "Sometimes those two things are one and the same! No...." He said as he crawled first up on a chair then hopped up top a table in the nondescript tavern and continued. "I'm not talking about us Monks. Oh no. That'd be too easy. I'm talking about...." And here he paused for dramatic effect.

"The cliff ravens."

There were mutters around the room. Everyone had at one time or another had something stolen from them via a raven. "Flying rats is what they are. Nothing but rats, but fierce nonetheless. They'll more likely peck out your eye when you're not paying attention as to allow you to shoo them off. Very dangerous, and yet... very clever. I've seen them, while I've been up on watch, puzzle through a problem like getting a window latch open with the keenest of intellect. And what's more, they steal and spread chaos and yet they're beautiful. One of the pairs that live just outside of the wall hatched themselves a bunch of chicks. Do you know the one, that pair that has itself a white male? Nasty vicious creatures, but good parents. They hatched three this year I believe. I often stop to watch them. They've been hatched no more than a fortnight now, so they're prime to steal one and tame. One's white like the father. I'll steal that white one." He claimed, raising his tankard in the air.

"And raise it as my own. Taking my life in my hands, scaling the tree to its nest... I'll do it. Then none of you can't claim I'm not brave and not a thief. I'll have something to show for it! Who's with me? Shall we go steal a raven chick?"
He asked looking around.

AS for the rest of the monks, laughter filled the establishment. Whether or not Shadekas could do what he claimed was one thing, but the fact that he was piss drunk and willing to try was a setup for a whole new set of entertainment for the group. As one they bellowed encouragement, and in a typical mob fashion, headed out the door, someone plucking Shadekas off the table and setting him on his feet as they went. They spilled out onto the street, about twelve in all, and ushered the bold soon-to-be thief down the street and towards the wall leading to the gate where the tall timber grew that the ravens in question were nesting in.

Shadekas was all for the idea until about halfway there when he realized he was the one going to be doing the stealing to maintain and or salvage his reputation. Those two adult ravens weren't going to let him get near the nest, especially climbing the tree, not without him risking serious bodily harm. Fiercely he regretted his rash proclamation and knew there was no way out of it now that the task was well underway.

They deposited him at the base of the tree - a big one at that - and left him to stare upwards, knowing that barely visible from this angle (though eye level with someone guarding the wall) in the tangle of branches overhead was the nest and its three chicks, one of which was the white one Shadekas had already laid claim too.

He stood staring up, pondering his next move, cursing himself for a fool.
Last edited by Shade on December 20th, 2011, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Words: 215158
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2011, 7:08 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Shade on December 18th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Someone handed him a backpack which he slung on over his robe while he gathered up the skirting and brought it up between his legs to tuck into his belt so he could climb without the robe getting caught on outstretched branches.

"I need another drink!"
He said before he began his climb, the other monks in and around the crowd breaking out into laughter. He did not, however, take a swig from the wineskin that suddenly was thrust forward. Instead, he turned and began climbing. The fir was a sturdy tree, unmaintained to it had broken off branches almost all the way to the ground that made handy footholds for climbing it. While not an experienced climber, it wasn't a difficult task and for which Shade was thankful. Taking the first step, he stepped up to the tree, jumped lightly up, and pulled himself onto the first branch. He swung up with a graceful acrobatic move half settling over the branch stomach down and then swinging until he could force his weight up and stand up on the branch. As a martial artist, balance was easy for him. It was something that had been well practiced. As a man, climbing though demanded more skill and he quietly decided acrobatics would help him considerably. Once on his feet though, carefully and gracefully, even as drunk as he was, he began to climb.

Climbing. Great. It wasn't his forte but then neither was hanging from a tree like a opossum.

Six feet from the ground an angry cry erupted by his right ear and a black raven dove at him racking claws across his shoulder and ear. Pain broadsided him, the birds attack being tenacious. He squawked, flailed for a better grip, lost it, and fell several feet almost back to the ground before he caught himself on a branch again, shook his head, and steadied himself looking around to see where the angry parents were. He was forced to duplicate the move again, bellying himself up onto a branch and balancing.

The audience cheered, first when he fell, then when he caught himself. They didn't seem to care if Shadekas made it or not. They just cared that they got a show. And, in a rare moment, he was giving it to them. This time, when a wineskin was offered when he was settled on the branch near the ground, he took a long drink and started climbing again. Then he climbed once more, making up for lost ground. One was still circling, the other was a few dozen feet up.

Liquid courage.

Shadekas was not rash. Nor did he drink often to overindulgence. When he did, stupid things happened. The Monk was more than aware what he was doing was dangerous and stupid, but the stress of his job, the completion of a major project in the workshop that a high ranking official had ordered all accumulated to this moment and he needed to blow off. No fights had cropped out to blow off steam. Nyka had been to quiet and in a moment of weakness he'd taken up an offer and downed a mug of ale. Then another. Then another... until here he was scaling up a tree.

Dodging ravens.

The beasts took all his concentration. Climbing, ducking, avoiding their caws and harassing flapping of wings. He had to be the martial artist, even among the branches. They had sharp claws and beaks that aimed for his eyes. Both the white and black where harassing him now. As he climbed higher his position grew more precarious. Drunk. Too drunk to be climbing, that was for sure, Shade ascended the tree.

After a time, too much time, and aching muscles, he reached the nest, peered in and smiled. There, in the center, were two black chicks tucked up against a white chick. They were not fledged yet, for certain, but well old enough to know he wasn't a Raven and to look curiously at him. The parents, of course, had redoubled their efforts, causing Shade to put the hood up on his robe. Mortal combat, that was what the symbolism was, though the howling (with laughter) monks on the ground didn't see it as such. They just cheered all the harder as he struggled.

Shade set his feet against the tree, braced himself, swung the backpack off his shoulder, and quickly settled the white chick into the backpack, careful not to jostle it. It gave no protest but a squeak of confusion as the Monk swung the backpack back on his back and started for the ground, parents dive-bombing him with angry caws.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Shade on December 20th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Shadekas soon learned that climbing down out of the tall pine was a lot harder than climbing up into it. He resorted to a series of moves that involved him jumping first down lightly on to the next closest branch, often grabbing the current branch at eye level and then swinging down to the next in a sort of grasp-hop-grasp-hop move that had him slowly ascending the tree. It would have been safer for him to have a rope around his waist and around the tree but the branches made that sort of set up impossible.

The parents seemed slightly confused, diving at him and yet hovering around the nest as if they knew one of the chicks was gone, but not sure what had befallen it. Shade took advantage and ascended the tree as quickly as he could, hood back down now so he could see and move and not have his eyes pecked out in the thick tangle of the trees crown.

Going down was a lot harder. Shadekas was panting with the exertion by the time he even got halfway to the ground. Thirty feet turned into fifteen until he was jumping lightly to the ground. By that time, his friend Karver who was in route via the wall to do some fishing at the port and had doubled back to get out of the gate and saw the commotion outside of it, and joined the group and was scowling at him while the others cheered. "You're a fool, Shadekas." He said laughing. "A drunk fool.". Shade nodded, laughed, and then lifted the backpack gently off his back and unfastened the top. He was swaying on his feet and covered with scratches from the impromptu climb in the tree. Even his robe was torn.

Peering inside he could see the chick was just fine. "Aye, a fool. Covered with scratches and nearly one that fell out of a tree due to the fierceness of ravens, but a fool with a pet now it seems!" He exclaimed, and showed the chick around before letting Karver take him by the shoulder and gently walk him back towards the gate. "White ravens are peculiar, Shadekas." Karver said. "I heard a story once about them. I wouldn't be stealing a chick, that's for sure. Now you've got to feed it, be a mother, and raise it up strong. How in the world are you going to do that and preform all your other duties?" Karver was insistant.

Shade just grinned. "I'll manage. I'll probably even enjoy it." He added. "So what was this story you heard?" He asked, curiously. Karver merely grinned. He wasn't a monk. He wasn't much of anything except Lynk's son. But he did know his stories, and the Gods knew he had a million of them. He was Shadekas' best friend and someone he could count on when backup outside the monastery was needed.

"I heard this one from a traveling bard." He said, smiling softly, as they both passed around the city walls and back into the city through the western gates. "It is said that Syna originally created the Ravens and that their feathers were like burnished gold. Away from her, they showed only as white. There were no black ravens in those times. But even as Syna's pets, they grew bored and restless in the world. Being in her light they saw everything and knew everything that the light touched. But they wanted to know secrets as well. Akajia often whispered to them, fascinated by the sheen of their feathers and their acute intelligence. It is said that she seduced most of them away from Syna's side, promising them secrets. Knowing Akajia, her true goal was to acquire Syna's secrets and find out what the ravens knew. But the ravens didn't know this. Syna however suspected. And when they abandoned her in a mass murder to fly to Ajakia's side, Syna stole from them their memories of her using Qalaya's help. Once this was done to the murder, their feathers drained of the shimmering light and turned black as night. When they reached Akajia they knew nothing and were just dumb animals. However, not all of them left Syna. And the ones that stayed retained their sentience and stayed in Syna's favor. The rest were reduced to camp robbers and thieves. So the little chick you have in your pack is one of Syna's chosen, not one of the betrayers. You did well, Shadekas, choosing white over black." He said with a smile.

Shadekas nodded. "Well, all I want is a companion. I get tired of women and most of the men around here are too campy or too much my friend to be entertaining. A raven will do nicely, and since I've spent the last month up on the wall doing guard duty, I'm fairly sure I can pull off feeding it the proper things. What I have is perhaps even better than some of the garbage they bring the little ones in their nest." He said, checking once more on the chick. The two men parted ways at the drinking establishment, Shadekas heading home to the blinding light while Karver heading into the place with the rest of the crowd that had trailed them back to the city. He'd do some drinking and perhaps drop by Shadekas' work later that day to check on the pair. In the mean time, Shadekas would be busy settling the raven chick into a makeshift nest and beginning its training.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Liar on December 29th, 2011, 3:47 am

EXPERIENCE AWARD

Shade

Skill Points
Climbing 3
Acrobatics 2
Rhetoric 2
Larceny 1
Persuasion 1
Animal Husbandry (bird) 1
Falconry 1

Lore
Upholding a Reputation
Honor in Thievery
Drunken Regrets
Stealing a Friend
The Story of the White Ravens

Notes
Your sense of humor makes me smile. I see you’ve already added the bird to your inventory; I look forward to watching what you do with her! Rhetoric for holding a crowd’s attention, and Birdkeeping for keeping the thing alive as he descended the tree. The rest should be self-explanatory.

Feel free to PM me if I missed anything, or if you have any questions.
Liar
This statement is false.

Words: 175519
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook