[Flashback] Bones and Snakescales (Bones)

Malediction and Discoveries

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Postby Wrenmae on January 21st, 2012, 2:30 pm

Wrenmae stood with Bones, stretching against the harsh shadows the fire cast. The bear skull stared at him, bloody stains on the Malediciton circle almost accusing. Certainly it took some of the power out of his quarry. The bear was murdered through 'cowardly means' according to his companion, but as far as Wrenmae was concerned, power was the sum total of ability one could bring against an opponent. It was the fault of the victim if he fell prey to mental manipulation or elemental control...they should have been stronger of will, moved faster. Not everyone in the world held such traditional values in the realm of fighting.

Certainly the storyteller didn't.

He drew out his long dagger, the cold iron glinting in the fire and spun it through the air once or twice experimentally. It was still slightly stained with bear blood, but overall a beautiful and practical weapon. Whipping it around, he stabbed the air once or twice in practice, leaning back to stretch again.

"So the victor is the right one then?" He grinned and shook his head, "Unfortunate news for the wise man against the mercenary. One is more learned than the other, but one would likely make easier work of killing...can the virtue of truth only be measured by who lives to speak of it?"

It helped, at least in part, that Bones held some magic in higher regard. Morphing then, one that Wrenmae practiced, would be at least somewhat received well. Personally, it was bad enough the fellow knew he was a maledictor. When bodies went missing, often they would turn eyes to those who could use the bones. Still, the snake had expressed that he was a Maledictor as well, so it couldn't be all that bad.

Bones launched first, a sideways slash across the chest. Wrenmae stepped back, bringing his dagger up to intercept the blade, even force it down.

Even half hearted, the blow carried more weight behind it than Wrenmae expected, and he was thrown off balance by the clash of steel. Quickly reversing grip on his dagger he saved it from spinning off into the night, but leaped back on his feet, nearly stumbling.

"What a blow..." he murmured complimenting, "No contests of strength from me, I think." Instead he circled his opponent, keeping an eye to the fire that sometimes passed behind him. He looked for weaknesses, for openings, but in the dim light it was hard to hold the guy in his vision for long.

Lunging forward suddenly, Wrenmae directed a slash up toward his face. It extended him a bit, but the Storyteller wanted Bones to take a step back. Stepping back would put him at the edge of the fire, where sparks would lick his skin and perhaps create the opening he needed.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on January 29th, 2012, 12:34 am

Bones watched as his partner took out a long thin blade, and twirled it a bit experimentally. It looked a bit odd, different from most blades, appearing more as a knife, but the length more close to a short sword, only a bit shorter than his own gladius. It was clearly not made of steel as was common, but another material, perhaps iron.

But though it was similar in size to Bones gladius, it was still very different from his own weapon, which as a gladius was expertly honed for sharpness, and balanced for use in a fight. Bones just watched and held his weapon, as Wrenmae played with his, a serious look coming over his face, as he prepared to fight, even if it was not to kill. Bones always took battle seriously.

"What isss taken asss truss isss what ssstandsss sse tessst of time... Sse losssersss, ssossse who were not good enough, ssey did not live to tell ssere talesss, ssso no one knew of ssem... But sse one ssat sssurvived.... Well obviousssly sseir word isss ssspread... It isss more ssan jussst ssstrengss in arm, but sse one whossse tale isss carried on, ssrough hissstory, it isss sse ssside ssat won sse conflict..."

"Perhapsss ssat isss why ssso little remainsss from before the Valterrian... Sssince no ssside won, and ssus few lived to tell sse tale of what wasss truss... Who knowsss what isss true ssat we have been told? For all we know, it isss all liesss, carried on by ssossse ssat lived."

In truth it was not though that Bones held morphing higher than other magics, or liked it in particular, though in part morphing was a part of what he was... It was the way in which it was used that he was trying to get across that made it good or bad.

As the two of them clashed, as expected Wrenmae blocked his attack with his own weapon. Though he did foolishly try to out force him, and knock the blade back. That might have worked on others, but not on Bones that easily had far more strength than a normal human. He was almost knocked off his feet from the unexpected force of the blow.

Bones showed his teeth in an attempt at a smile, looking at the man, giving him a moment to regain his footing. In a real battle, he might have just killed him right then. Bones often used the advantage of his strength surprising people to finish them off, though in a spar he would not finish off his foe, then it would end far to fast.

As they maneuvered for a moment, Wrenmae made a slash at him, trying to force him back, but Bones refused to give in. He brought his own blade to meet his foes instinctively, and locked blades with him, pushing back using his arm with a similar force to that of his foe. Both of them would be left with there blade stuck between the two of them, the force of the two holding there weapons in place. If either one let back on the force on their blade, then both their own blade, and their foes would go lancing into them self.

Of course, if he had wanted to, he could have increased the force, bringing his foe to his knees, but he would simply try and go for an equal force to his battle partners. It would be interesting to see how he would try and get out of the stalemate they were in.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

When he speaks, a double s (ss) means a [th] sound, that he cannot say.

A triple s (sss) means just an [s], but it is extended in his speech.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Words: 440799
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Wrenmae on February 22nd, 2012, 4:53 pm

When an animal was set against a wall, when there was nothing that remained for them but the possibility of death, a certain rigid hate takes hold, roots within their body. An animal would fight to the last when caged, presented no opportunity. Spite was the language of death and every bit of it was just as hoarsely snarled in the first as it was in the last.

Wrenmae was pushed, his blade struggling against Bones to force any kind of yield. His opponent was strong, however, too strong, and pushing against this insurmountable force reflected the weakness of the man on the other side. Gritting his teeth, Wrenmae sunk his feet against the stone and pushed, trying his best to push Bones on the defensive, even unbalance him a bit. But the unnaturally calm creature remained cool and resolute.

It was a useless battle.

His left arm slipped behind his back, but only by degrees, nothing overt. Awakening a line of Djed within him, Wrenmae twisted the fignernails of his hands into claws, black and sharp, poking from his skin like small daggers of their own. His fingers lengthened and stout spines sprouted along the fingers, forcing their way through skin as magic twisted its form.

"Damn," He muttered, forcing his might into the right arm, his entire being vibrating at the futility of the movement, "Gods but you're stronger than you look."

He offered a quick smile to his opponent, and took a step back. As he did, he released his blade, carrying the momentum of the two forces against each other to rely on Bones to followthrough with the locked blades. His sword would continue with the dagger, if Wrenmae planned this right, just enough to let the storyteller act.

His left swung up from behind his back, pausing in the space beneath Bones's throat, Wrenmae's blade clattering to the mountain ground. Bones was a quick creature, and Wrenmae had given him the benefit of maybe moving before he surprised him...if not, the dual would be won and if so, he would have a brief moment to scoop up his blade.

"So," the storyteller gasped, "The history of the man who kills his fellows is the one that will prevail? You may be correct, but I find that kind of history unacceptable."

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ssafirsotibones on March 13th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Bones watched as Wrenmae tried to outforce him... Rather a funny thing, considering how much stronger Bones was... Why even try to do it? But he guessed humans were just silly that way, trying futile things which had no hope of being successful.

Bones did not notice as he started to morph his hand, turning his hand into a claw. He was only using equal force, and was not even fighting that hard, or really trying to beat him. Just playing around.

Bones watched as Wrenmae smiled at him... Which seemed unnatural in the moment, a bit odd of a thing for a human to do... So he was prepared for some kind of human trickery, though he was not sure what, as he made such an obvious unusual expression.

Luckily as he had seen him take a step back, Bones assumed he was wanting to take a break, and so took a step back himself, preparing to take a break. So he was just out of reach as the clawed swipe at his throat was made...

Bones put away his own sword, and looked at the claws with an odd expression on his face, a mix of interest, curiosity, and anger that it had nearly been clawing through his flesh. Though he was careful to know keep out of range of the mans claw... Which would not be nice to meet flesh to flesh...

Bones looked over at Wren, his head slightly twisted at an angle to look at the claw, giving Wren his grimace like attempt at a smile, to try to put him at ease....

"You can do flesssh magic?... You can morph?... Could you teach me to do ssat? I would not mind being able to do flesh magic..."
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Wrenmae on March 15th, 2012, 9:14 am

Bones smiled like a snake. It was cold, impersonal, almost fascinatingly intimidating. Forcing emotions was no doubt not a practiced ability and Wrenmae stepped back from him, letting the claws drop to his side. He was suddenly shy, unnerved, as though he'd revealed something he ought not have. Technically, he had. Mages had a strange knack for attracting the wrong attention...no matter where he was. In Alvadas, the practices were a bit more accepted. Moderated of course, watched, but almost certainly accepted. Still, the prejudice surrounding those who twisted powers to their own gain was not entirely inaccurate, and always a looming shadow on the young mage's life.

He called the Djed to the surface of his skin again, seeping away the changes as nails shrank and flesh twisted. He held out his other arm to make sure he got the shape correct, easy to lose sight in these kinds of situations and finally let the newly returned arm drop to his side completely.

He bent and retrieved his dagger before answering, frowning as he sheathed it. "Teach? I...I've never tried to teach it before." He couldn't say no, not to a guy who could probably tear him in half. "I can try though...hmm...in return for a trade! Yes! A trade!" He sat near the fire and indicated Bones do the same. "I want to know your story, your whole story...no mystery or curtains. If you can pay me your story, I'll tell you what I know about...what did you call it again? Erm. Right. Flesh magic."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ssafirsotibones on March 15th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Bones attempt at showing a common human expression had as usual not turned out to well... It usually seemed to be more intimidating and off putting than calming as when done by a human... Apparently he was still missing a important part of the expression, which was making it not turn out well...

Or perhaps it was just his lack of human empathy and affection for humans that was making it so lacking... But he was not sure... But at least trying was better than not putting in any effort to connect at all right?

It was rather ironic though for many reasons that Bones was asking to learn morphing, a name for a magic which he did not know, calling it colloquially as "flesh magic." For one, he was probably in fact a better morpher than Wrenmae, due to his innate dhani shafeshifting ability to turn into his snake form, and half snake half man form... Although his dhani forms were set, and he could not diverge on them at all, or choose beyond which of the set forms to take... Though it also cost him no djed to do it, unlike the transformations of morphing.

But perhaps his ability to shift as a dhani would make him a natural at morphing? His body was already accustomed to shifting and changing, and was used to not having a set body form, which in fact felt confining if he did not change...

Bones followed Wren to near the fire, listening as he spoke of a trade... He also attempted another smile as Wren said with some tone in his voice his word of "flesh magic", which was apparently not the correct name...

"Is flesh magic not the name? That is simply how I see it as you doing, I do not know what it is really called... Is there a official name?"

"And as for a trade... I will tell you my story... After, you teach me the... flesh magic, or whatever it is called... Yes, I think that is best, it will be much clearer if you first teach me the magic, and then I show you something... And then I can tell you my tale... It will make much more sense after I shift..."

This last sentence was not really said to Wren, more Bones saying it to himself... Though he had not really specified what type of shifting he had meant... But surely since they were talking of morphing, Wren would assume he simply meant that? Or would be be swift enough to pick up on this slipped phrase, and try and take out a meaning?

Though even if he did know he was a shapeshifter, there were many types of creatures that could change there form, kelvics being one of the most common that almost anyone had heard tales of...

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Wrenmae on March 26th, 2012, 10:50 am

Although confused, Wrenmae tried to oblige, taking a seat by the fire so the light could echo off his form, set it ablaze with shapes and colors. Bones was a strange individual, no doubt, and perhaps not entirely human. Still, he had shown a certain willingness to learn and Seidaku had taught Wrenmae to be open minded about those who wanted to learn the way of Djed. Sighing, the storyteller held out his hands and concentrated, willing Djed to fill his arms. For now it simply remained there, channeled to the surface of his skin to await the possibility of change. What would he become? Who would he be? Did it matter?

"Morphing, Bones, is a kind of flesh magic...you manipulate the Djed within you to change your form. I've...never taught it before, can't remember where I exactly learned it myself, but it takes a lot of practice and can go horribly, horribly wrong."

He smiled wanly, his flesh draining of color and small black spines pushing from the twisted skin that remained. He did it slowly, agonizingly slowly, not sure he liked the feeling of the skin twisting up into hardened spines that covered his arms, shifting together until it formed a sort of chitin over his skin. Wrenmae held his arms up, momentarily dipped them into the fire and came back unharmed, letting the Djed seep away from his skin and it all twisted and shifted back, till there was unblemished skin again.

Wrenmae rubbed his arms, uncomfortable with the sea of needles pressing on the inside of hi arm from where the magic left.

"I don't know how else to explain it," he said, shrugging, "When you use your Djed to push into an object in Malediction, instead think of channeling it through your skin itself, twisting it, reshaping it, and holding it in place." He shrugged again, helplessly.

"That's the best I can do."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ssafirsotibones on March 26th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Part of it, manipulating your form, Bones already grasped quite well. He could at an impulse change to his snake form, or dhani form, feel as his body reshaped and molded into it... Though he was only able to direct it down these certain avenues... Could not choose which way it went, outside of a total change, and exactly as the form dictated.

His body was already used to shifting, was quite malleable and ready to change. Though also only into those set states... Djed manipulation... That seemed a bit more foreign... Surely there was a better way to describe it, that would make more sense to Bones. That was often an issue with having a language barrier... He would simply try to put it into terms he could understand...

"Ssso... you ussse sse energy in you... Sse life djed... And use it to make yourssself... Malleable... Ssen you ssshift your form... Usssing more energy... And ssen hold sse form, by ssslowly usssing djed to hold it in place..."

Bones said this more to himself, trying to puzzle it out... Of course if he was wrong, he would expect his teacher to tell him so. He was simply trying to put things in his own terms...

"What part isss sse hardessst? And you sssay you ussse energy to keep the ssshape... Ssso doesss ssat mean if you ssstop sse flow of energy... You turn back to normal?"

This part seemed a bit odd to Bones. Of course with his changes, they were permanent, just a part of what he was. But he guessed since these were false alterations, and not one of there true forms, they would not hold unless you constantly tried to keep it that way...

He tried to do as he had said, cleared his mind, and concentrated on a bit of skin on his left leg, focusing on just that bit of skin... Tried to push energy to it... But nothing seemed to happen... It appeared it was different to how his dhani changes worked, that was for sure... He looked up at Wren, with a frown, and a shrug.

"Any osser tipsss?"

speech :
"So... you use the energy in you... The life djed... And use it to make yourself... Malleable... Then you shift your form... Using more energy... And then hold the form, by slowly using djed to hold it in place..."

"What part is the hardest? And you say you use energy to keep the shape... So does that mean if you stop the flow of energy... You turn back to normal?"

"Any other tips?"

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Wrenmae on April 1st, 2012, 10:20 am

Wrenmae was quiet a moment, transfixed by the leaping flames. He barely saw the Dhani's attempt, already knew it wouldn't work. Morphing was something that took a lot of time to learn, to master, to utilize. The young mage couldn't remember the specifics of his instruction, only that he had learned this magic first...and all others had come after.

Reclining back on his haunches, Wrenmae held up his arm again and with his fingers, began to pinch and pull the flesh across his body, shaping it with a rising ebb of Djed. He sculpted ridges on his arm, fine and long spines that trembled delicately in the wind. He held it out to Bones to look at before banishing them, rubbing them back into his skin again.

"Beginning morphers use their fingers to help direct the energy," Wrenmae explained, hold his arms across his chest, "It takes a lot of practices, especially telling your skin what to change into...but if you continue working at it, I'm sure you'll get it." He smiled, hesitantly, then was quiet again.

After a moment, he spoke. "When you let the Djed settle, the morphing reverses itself...it isn't a permanent change." He held out his hand, sighed, and shrugged, "But I've heard that sometimes mages take it too far, lose themselves, their minds...they don't ever come back together after that, at least not how they were."

The fire crackled between them, a dialogue of warning. Magic was, of course, dangerous...but Wrenmae was young and Seidaku had taught him well. Overgiving was a distant threat.

For now.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ssafirsotibones on April 3rd, 2012, 4:08 pm

Bones nodded, trying to do as he said... He had to loosen his form... The same way as he did his dhani changing, he let go of what he was, and focused on the new form to take... So maybe this was like that?

Bones focused on himself, trying to block out anything else... He bent over, lightly kneading some flesh on his leg, and let his mind empty... Well about as well as you could in with animals around, some hooting off in the distance, the crackle of the fire, and a human talking to him... It was more like the more he tried to focus inward, the more he noticed all of the distractions!

So Bones kept on working, moving his flesh, which was not easy, as he had little fat... It was more he was moving around the skin on the surface, though only slightly....

After trying this for many chimes, so long he had lost count, and nearly forgotten what he was attempting, he felt his skin move a bit more...

The tiny area were his fingers were at shifted more, were looser... He looked down, and saw it, the small area of skin was now scales! It was a tiny little bit, but he had finally done it!

Then a idea came to mind... Why not show him what he could do? It might be funny to mess with the human...

As the tiny bit of scale started to revert to skin, Bones began his transformation, shifting into dhani form... He would tense up, and then turn to Wren.

"Uhm... isss ssisss sssupposssed to happen?" Bones asked, trying to pretend like he was freaking out. As he did, his head started extending, getting bigger, and his facial features flattening, stretching...

His legs were getting longer, and Bones quickly took of his pants, as his legs joined together... Then it kept getting thicker, and longer, as his change took shape, his legs ended up well over ten feet long, as thick as a tree trunk, going far out behind him.

His head also shifted, into that of a snake, no longer having a human features, but a snake snout, a flat face with holes for nostrils... Only his torso stayed the same.

Bones did his best not to laugh, as his prank progressed, and he finally shifted into his dhani form. Hopefully Wren would not take it to badly, though it was hard to tell, some would just freak out, and run away screaming. Others might be frozen in fear... Still others might attack...

Once it was all done, Bones turned to face Wren... Opened his mouth... And let out a hissy "Hello..."

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext