Another Morning in the Desert [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Postby Nahali on April 20th, 2010, 3:40 am

A look of sympathy crossed Nahali's face when she heard the soft but still audible growl from Ke'sear's stomach. His mouth only said, "What's next?", but his expression spoke volumes, most of them about how spending a long day traveling with very little to eat or drink could leave one's stomach quite empty. Taking pity on him, she set down on her teacup and motioned for him to follow her again.

"You look as though you need something much more filling than tea," she said. "The bell hasn't rung yet, but mealtime shouldn't be far off. I can already smell the roast lamb and bean stew in the air. Come with me."

Just as they stepped outside, the bell rang to announce the evening meal. Without even needing to talk, Nahali and Ke'sear both quickened their pace to reach the cook-fires at the center of the camp. She led him toward her family's cook-fire, where her siblings and parents were already dipping chunks of bread into the communal stewpot. Four pairs of curious, light-colored eyes fixed on the newcomer, and Nahali plunged into a quick introduction.

"Mother, Father, this is Ke'sear," she told them, still speaking in heavily accented Common so that Ke'sear could understand. "I met him this morning while tending my goats. He has been wandering alone in the desert, so I thought to offer him our hospitality, at least for this night."

For a moment, they regarded the young man in silence. Nahali could almost sense Ke'sear steeling himself for some sort of negative response. Then a bright smile broke across the rugged features of Nahali's father, and he reached forward to handle a chunk of fragrant bread to Ke'sear himself.

"Be welcome to our fire and our tent!" he said to Ke'sear. His Common was indeed much better than his daughter's, with a slur that sounded musical rather than awkward. "Please, eat your fill and enjoy your stay with us this evening. We so rarely meet strangers from other cultures in the desert. How long have you been traveling by yourself?"
Nahali
Desert shepherdess

Words: 47558
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Ke'sear on April 20th, 2010, 11:47 pm

weaving in and out through the cooking fires, the smell of stew and bread lingered in the air, almost as if it were a gel covering the entire camp. The tents looked the same every direction he looked, but the aroma of the food keep growing. Breaking free of the forest of tents into a small clearing, cooking fires were arranged in neat rows, pots of stew hanging over them. Making their way over to a fire slightly off to the right side of the clearing, Ke'sear spotted the fire they were headed towards just a few seconds before arriving. Taking stock of the man seated nearest him, he realized that this must have been her father. He could feel the man's gaze as he stood up, Ke'sear was also sure that he cuold hear his heart, it was thumping as if it only had a few thumps left and wanted to go out fighting.

Ke'sear was exteremly suprised when the man welcomed him to their camp. Also offering to share his food and shelter. Smiling at the man Ke'sear simply said "thank you" Taking a plate from Nahali's sister, simply offering a smile in return. Grabbing a plate of bread and a small bowl of stew, Ke'sear dipped his bread in the stew. Drawing it out dripping with stew and raising it to his mouth. Closing his eyes, Ke'sear mumbled "Muuhhhmmm"

Looking up to Ke'sears father, two versions of his answer flashed through his brain. He say that he was on a jounrey and had only been in the desert for a couple days. Or he could tell the truth, he had accually been in the desert for about 3 weeks with no real point. He decided on the true version, considering that he had already told Nahali and really had no real reason to lie.

"I have been traveling for about three weeks now, after my stop in Anahtep. Not for any real reason, just my usual wanderings." Pauseing for a quick breath. "Me and Ya-soel have been pretty much a little of everywhere in the desert. The cayons are quite nice during the winter months."
Ke'sear
Player

Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 1:37 am
Race: Human

Postby Nahali on April 21st, 2010, 8:33 pm

All heads turned toward Ke'sear when he made his answer. One by one, they looked toward Nahali as though to confirm the truth of what he had told them. She nodded in response, for he had told her the same thing when they first met this morning. From their widening eyes, she could tell his news was as surprising to them as it had been to her. For one so young to wander the desert alone, living off the scarce nourishment offered by the desert, they could only guess that his past was full of trauma and suffering. Nahali had guessed something like this, at least, from the little he had shared about himself, and she hoped he would share some more of it tonight.

"Ahnatep?" Nahali's father repeated. Even after hundreds of years, the Benshiras still remembered how the Eypharians once seduced and enslaved their people. Some of the bitterness of that remembrance filled Nahali's father's voice, tempered by curiosity and genuine interest. After all, they had all heard of the wonders of the ancient Eypharian city.

"Yes," Nahali's younger sister piped up, "what was it like there? Did you stay long? Were the people there as beautiful and wicked as the stories say?"

Nahali nudged her sister reprovingly. "Don't ask silly questions. Let Father talk first."

Nahali's father cleared his throat and looked from one daughter to the other, perhaps a little amused by the contrast between the stern, serious older girl and the more spontaneous, but petulant younger one. Finally, he nodded at Ke'sear and said, "My younger daughter speaks out of turn, but I am sure we would all like to hear more about your wanderings. If you have been nearly everywhere in the desert, you must have some interesting stories to share. Have you met any other Benshiras before or visited Yahebah, our holy city? Where is your family and how do they feel about your wandering alone in the desert?
Nahali
Desert shepherdess

Character sheet

Postby Ke'sear on April 22nd, 2010, 2:21 am

The feeling setteled in that he was being watched, and of course, the people had flocked to the strangers fire like moths to the torch. As he looked around all the eyes, and ears for that matter were locked on him. A deathly quite filled the camp, all eyes on Ke'sear, waiting for him to speak. Smiling at the girl, Nahali's sister according to her quick rebuke. He adressed the entire fire, "Ahnatep is truly a great city, but it is truly dangerous for any person who can not protect themselfs. Predators stalk the darkness, waiting for unaware and unprepared people, ready to put them in chains for some Mizas."
Then looking down to the little girl, "the people are cruel, but the city is truly a sight to behold."

Finding Nahali's father's eyes Ke'sear took a deep breath. "I have many stories, some good for the little ones ears, others...." Pausing and looking around for emphasis. "I guess there is no better place to start then the beginning." Taking a seat on the nearest rock Ke'sear cleared his throat, took a drink and began to tell his story, making sure to steer clear of the more cruel and evil like stories. Starting from the time he was found, telling them of him being found on the side of the road by a merchant train on the north reaches of the desert. The moving on and explaining in great detail his journeys with the trains. "One bleary day, the caravan was moving through the eastern borders of the desert. Destined for our first visit to Yahebah for a trading run. We had just crested a long but not steep hill, upon reaching the crest we found that a party of bandits had been waiting for us. With oxen and horses roped to the wagons there was no way we could run, we had to fight." Ke'sear continued to tell his story untill reaching the time of his life where he ran away. "One night, I lay in my bed, staring at the stars wondering if I was ment for more then guarding a caravan of a man I hated. That night I ran off into the depths of Anahtep. The next morning I located and purchased extra water canteens and rations. I have been wandering for 3 years now."
Ke'sear
Player

Postby Nahali on April 22nd, 2010, 4:19 pm

"Ahh," Nahali's family murmured appreciatively, almost in perfect unison. Whatever Nahali had been expecting from Ke'sear's story, she was still astonished to hear about all the adventures he had gone through in his life. In many ways, his life laboring for the merchant caravan sounded very much like their lives working together in their Tent to survive, but somehow inverted. While they cooperated together out of love for each other and for Yahal, Ke'sear had stayed with the merchants as long as he did only because he had nowhere else to go.

It was a sad thought for the close-knit Benshira Tent. Sympathy filled many of the listeners' faces as Ke'sear finished describing how he left the caravan and went to Ahnatep. Of course, lone travelers were not uncommon in Eyktol; there were always wandering Rapas, questing Chaktawe youths, hapless and sun-stricken travelers, and even an outcast Eypharian now and then. But for them, their wandering had a purpose and an end. For a man as young as Ke'sear to simply wander the desert just hoping to survive seemed like a waste to the economical Benshira.

Breaking the silence, Nahali's father turned to Ke'sear and thanked him for the story. "That was a very fine tale you told of a very full life. You are very kind for sharing it with us."

Ke'sear seemed pleased with his audience's reaction to his stories, not to mention with the food and drink they had offered him. Nahali had been very pleased with how he had seemed to enjoy the tea she had offered him in her family's tent, and she was even more pleased to see how he eagerly reached for a cup of tea now and sipped from it with every sign of satisfaction. He seemed quite comfortable in the welcoming, unpretentious atmosphere of the Benshira Tent. It was this that made Nahali speak up.

"Father," she said to him in rapid Shiber, "I wonder if we could find a place for Ke'sear in our Tent, at least when we start our journey to Yahebah to trade. He seems like a good person, and he might like having friendly faces about him and work to do for a while. He seems awfully lonely." She paused to gather her thoughts, then plunged on. "Besides, we have many shepherds who are good with a slingshot or a staff, but none at all who can use a blade. I think we should ask him if he would like to guard the caravan of a man he doesn't hate for once, at least for a little while."

Her father looked startled at her unexpected request. Knowing she would not bring up something like this lightly, though, he considered her words for a few moments, while the rest of her family added their own comments of agreement or disfavor. Nahali rolled her eyes when her father's face took on a rather speculative look as he glanced back and forth between her and Ke'sear. He had better not be thinking I'm asking this because I somehow fell in love with a Rakva stranger in a single day! she thought in irritation. The other girls in the Tent are the ones who lose their wits over young men, not me.

Finally, her father decided to put the question to Ke'sear himself, reverting back to Common. "My daughter has suggested that you might serve as a fine guard for us, if you are willing. As she said, you 'might like to guard the caravan of a man that you don't hate, for once.'" He spread his hands. "We are not wealthy people, as you can see, and have no mizas to repay you for your service. But we will share with you all that we have: our food, water and help. We will be crossing the desert soon to return to Yahebah for a while, and perhaps your skills will be valuable to us."
Nahali
Desert shepherdess

Character sheet

Postby Ke'sear on April 22nd, 2010, 5:20 pm

Finishing his story, Ke'sear quickly grabbed hold of the cup of tea Nahali had set in front of him. Taking a small sip, savoring the lquid as it rolled around on his toungue and flew down his throat. Looking around, he could see that the Benshirans had appericated his story. It felt good to tell a story, like a refreashing dip in the southern sea. Looking to Nahali's father,he felt inclined to say something, but he had said so much already. Giving up and simply nodding his acknowledgement to him. Ke'sear sat in silence as the Benshirans around the tent disscussed, he had not a clue what but judging from the lack of speaking from her father it was some request that he was not quite inclined to give freely. The disscussion raged around him, Ke'sear could easily pick out the people who were for, and against the propostion, whatever it was.

Ke'sear was not only midly suprised when Nahali's father spoke, he was astonished. Sputtering on his tea and attempting to grab at the flying droplets that flew from his mouth. This truly was an amazeing proposal, he would get the chance to get to know some of these people, and get to see a new city. Ke'sear stil couldent quite come to terms with the proposal, but he knew without a doubt that this was a opptunity he coudlent pass up. He had already talked more in a few hours then he had for as much as he could recall in the recent months. "I would be glad to" Ke'sear said, standing up to adress the enitre group agian, then as almost as an after thought to himself "That would be nice."
Ke'sear
Player

Postby Nahali on April 22nd, 2010, 8:22 pm

When Ke'sear sputtered in amazement, scattering droplets through the air, Nahali's family members let out involuntary noises that were somewhere between laughter and gasps. Having trained themselves to carefully husband every precious drop of water, they couldn't help but look both surprised and amused at Ke'sear's startled reaction. Even Nahali couldn't help smiling, for all that she had seen him pouring water over his horse's head earlier that day.

When he accepted Nahali's father's offer, however, smiles appeared on everyone's faces for the way he spoke so forthrightly without hesitation. Nahali was glad that he had accepted so willingly. She would have been sorry to see Ke'sear resuming his solitary life right away, especially when she was sure they all had a great deal to teach each other. Judging from the curious look on Ke'sear's face when they started speaking in Shiber, he looked like he'd be interested in picking up a little of their language. She also remembered how he hinted at having a clear picture of the desert, perhaps even a map, which might show landmarks not shown on their own maps and charts. At least, they could compare them and see what insights the different maps yielded.

With that concluded, the evening meal came to an end and the families of the Tent gathered together to enjoy a pleasant Masha together. Tonight, there were religious ceremonies involving collective prayers and songs offered to Yahal to praise his goodness and ask for his favor. As ever, Nahali threw herself into the ceremonies; her strong contralto voice joyously blended with dozens of other voices in songs that felt as old as the desert itself. Her faith in Yahal had been strengthened by his faith in her, and she could no more shirk his worship than she could stop breathing.

The religious ceremony ended a chime or two after the evening meal. By then, people were still singing, but they were mostly singing folk songs and sentimental ballads. The Benshira were lively musicians and singers, and Nahali knew the people of her Tent could probably serenade each other through the night. She glanced aside and saw Ke'sear looking tired and a little confused. Nahali rose to her feet and tapped him on the shoulder, signaling for him to follow her.

"Come with me, and I'll show you where you can set up your own tent and get a good sleep," she whispered. "You look like you need it, after everything that happened today. I hope you did enjoy yourself, at least?"

OOCYou write pretty fast. :)
Let's end the thread with your post. Agreed?
Nahali
Desert shepherdess

Character sheet

Postby Ke'sear on April 25th, 2010, 1:04 am

Watching on as the tent went from one song to the next, praising Yahal in new a more creative ways. Ke'sear felt his head start to nod, waking to find Nahali staring down at him. He was only to glad to be offered a bed and some place to sleep. Following Nahali to the outskirts of the camp, he set up tent, making sure to give Ya-soel something to eat before he went in. "Thank you." said Ke'sear, he couldent quite find any other words to say so he just left it at that. He was looking forward to getting on the road. Now that he thought about it, he had seen Nahali had a bowstaff on her pack, he would have to spar with her, he would stay on the defence of course.

OOC: sorry for the short post, im just ready to get on to the traveling thread. I really enjoyed this thread though. =)
Ke'sear
Player

Postby Colombina on May 22nd, 2010, 5:27 pm

The XP Wand Is Waved!

Ye olde desert traveler welcomed into the hospitality of the Benshira thread. I dig it. Nahali you continue to impress me with your understanding of your people and the desert and Ke'sear I am stoked to see a non-native cruising Eyktol. Good thread, guys!

Nahali

1 XP Singing
2 XP Animal Husbandry
Masha Customs Lore

Ke'Sear

1 XP animal husbandry
Masha Customs Lore
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Previous