[Temple of Time] Drawing Lines

Lu learns about Glyphing and its applications.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Lu Gavima on January 19th, 2012, 4:36 am

Winter, Day 52, AV 511

Walking up the stairs that led to the Temple of Tanroa, Lu stopped to look out at the Peaks. The snows were thick and heavy along the pinnacles of his homeland, while Zintila protected the people of Lhavit within her Skyglass embrace. A trace of biting wind blew over his left arm, reminding him of its return. He had been cleared for all activity again, now that the arm was healed. It felt good to be whole again. His fingers traced over his forearm, his fingers flexing as he watched the muscles move.

Upon his father's advice, he chose to seek out a Glypher, so that he could glean the benefits of it as far as Projection went. Many of the Senior Shinya had the lines and glyphs painted on their arms and hands. It was normally a thing undertaken after the Awakening, but Lu was no normal candidate. He wanted to be the best he could be in all situations. It was an honorable thing to do for himself, his family and the Gods. Finding ways to master his internal essence and make it as sharp as his body would only accentuate this ethos. He had sought a Glypher among the Shinya, but it seemed most of them dealt with a man named Luc.

Arranging a meeting with the man took time, especially due to Lu's status as an Acolyte. He had to wait until the Shinya were not busy or for one to approach him in order to hunt down where to find this man. It had been earlier in the day when his father told him that he would be met here, at the Temple of Time. Lu reached the plateau where the Temple stood, its exterior appearing newly built, a blessing of Tanroa. He knelt and perayed to the Goddess, beseeching Her for the ability to maximize his own use of time in his own life. Once his prayer was finished, he remained there. There was little doubt that this Luc would know he was coming.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Words: 134685
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2011, 5:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Legion on January 23rd, 2012, 2:11 am

neck, chest, waist to floor
easy to take, you could take me in fours
make me a deal, a day a piece
it's a pool of boiling wax
I'm getting in
let it set
got to seal this in
keep what I have
preserve
- the Xx -

Wind wept upon the northern section of Lhavit, whipping against the winter barren branches of elms before rattling the eternal boughs of sentinel pines laddering up the face of the cliff. It buffeted Lu Gavima where he waited with a patience more aged than his years on the steps of Tanroa's temple, teasing at the edges of him as if given half a chance it might abscond with his very aura.

It also drowned out the sound of approaching footsteps, allowing James Meluc -- known by most everyone as Luc -- to sneak up on a Shinya in training.

"Hullo," he greeted from behind Lu. "You're my new pupil, huh?"

When Lu looked he would find a younger man than was likely to have been expected. Luc stood with hands buried in the pockets of a weathered coat, the ends of a rust colored scarf flapping tassel fingers back at the exuberant breeze. The scruff of a day old beard limned his jaw in gold, framing a mild mannered smirk that the observant might note to be far too comfortable on his face.

His accent was not of Lhavit, but rather somewhere else, somewhere far and wide away from this city of stars. He had made a temporary home of it, however, earning good wages from training Zintila's mortal kin for the past handful of years.

Wizards were not so rare in Lhavit as they were known to be in other cities, and made more welcome as well insolong as they abided by the standard terms of social contract.

"Luc," he went on to introduce himself, unburying a hand from a pocket in order to thrust it out. Ink speckled the flesh of his knuckles, littering his fingers with the thrusts and swirls of sigilry and lost remarks. "Let's go in, yeah? Petching cold."
Legion

Denval Forum | Denval News | Denval Lore
Lhavit Forum | Lhavit News | Lhavit Lore

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Legion
Boom, backflip.

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Lu Gavima on January 24th, 2012, 4:28 am

The wind was unrelenting, sliding down from the peaks above Lhavit. Not so Misty, currently, with the high winds pushing that frigid mountain air down into the open glass of the city. He was not immune to it, rows of goosebumps running along the back of his neck and his arms. it was simply something to contend with. The ceaseless training of Shinya ,besides carving an incredible specimen from a child, also gave Lu an endurance. Perserverance was required in all things, especially a new topic. This topic, Glyphing, was normally beyond his status as an Acolyte, so the blessing of this knowledge was to be taken as seriously as anything else.

The wind took the 'Hullo' with it, but Lu did hear the greeting behind him. He stood, solemnly chiding himself for not noticing it before turning and presenting a face of cool calmness. He hoped that Wysar would take notice of his dedication and bless him with the awareness he needed to notice things. Had that been a Symenestra....The thought was quenched as he met the man known as Luc. He watched the hand come from the man's coat, his eyes watching it as if it were something besides a hand. If his dress or accent did not give him away, the absence of bowing certainly did.

Many wizards came to the City to visit its illustrious towers, however. People from all sorts of races and backgrounds. His and the concern of all Shinya was only if one of them got out of hand. Their particular practices were as foreign to him as his training might be to them. Outside of Auristics, though, as it seemed to ride along side of Projection well. As would Glyphing. Once he took the inky hand and attempted to shake it properly, he followed up with a proper formal bow. "Yes, I am Acolyte Gavima. I appreciate your taking the time to teach me, Dian Luc." He smiled and nodded along with the comment of going inside. It wasn't so terribly cold to him, but he was anxious to get started.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Legion on February 5th, 2012, 10:25 pm

The wizard's smirk skewed with ease into a smile and that was an alchemical expression, altering the whole of his presence. It shone with summer heat in the heart of winter and spoke of fresh turned earth here so close to the floor of the Ukalas. Warm and welcoming, it translated even into a bow that was a perfect mimic of the acolyte's. It held not so much as an ounce of mockery, but rather a grave and self deprecating respect.

He was an outlander in the city of stars, but he was neither a new or foolish one.

"You're most welcome, Acolyte Gavima," he returned and turned to jog up the pristine steps of the Temple of Time. "If you're going to insist on being formal with me, however, it'd be Sir Meluc. Luc's a nickname."

A shoulder impacted the heavy temple door, scraping it open with a groan that the density of moments within swallowed up before they could echo. The window gusted papery leaves through the dusty interior, skidding through marble dust and scars of aeons interminable in their nesting beneath the cobwebbed chandelier.

"Lovely as I remember it being," Luc remarked a few steps within. He rubbed his hands together, massaging out the chill, and absorbed Tanroa's crumbling sanctuary.

"I take it you're a projectionist," he went on, turning his head in a shatter of dirty gold hair against his cheek. The lift of his eyebrows was curious. "Or do you have a different magic base, acolyte?"
Legion

Legion
Boom, backflip.

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Lu Gavima on February 7th, 2012, 9:56 am

Lu found Sir Luc's recognition and return of his bow to be pleasing. Although it was a formality that most outlanders did their best to avoid or overdo, Sir Luc's was well practiced. His demeanor was very inviting and pleasant as well, another departure from the varied personalities which came from the Towers. Though, his own specialty was not one of the three that stood in the center of Lhavit, so really, all assumptions were in the wind, as they should have been.

As the Wizard jogged up the steps to the main doors, Lu made a mental note. He followed behind, his pace even. "Of course, Sir Meluc." As the doors were being pushed open, revealing the ancient innards of Tanroa's temple, he added, "My formality is due to my upbringing and my training, Sir Meluc. While Shinya may practice whatever they wish, as an Acolyte, my path is very narrow and focused. The Awakening and promotion to Shinya is of utmost importance to me. Having the privilege of working with you on advanced skills is just that. A privilege that I shall neither squander nor overlook." His face returned to the calm serenity it defaulted to.

As the pair stood within the sacred place, Lu took the time to close the doors behind them, ensuring they were secure. One did not leave the dojo door standing wide open, so Tanroa's temple surely could not stand idle either. "I only practice Projection, Sir Meluc. Once I am Awakened by Zintila, I suspect I will learn many other things I currently do not know. I do know that Glyphing aids the use of Projection, however, so I would like to learn how this happens."
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Legion on March 26th, 2012, 11:11 pm

"I appreciate a dedicated pupil, my friend," and the smile the older man bore faded into a more sober expression that laid the years on him; or perhaps it was Tanroa's lingering presence in Her temple that did as much, drawing the age of soul and experience out from flesh that could not have known more thirty some odd years on this earth.

"Glyphing is an often overlooked magic," he went on while pacing deeper into the dust and ruins, as pleased as if they waltzed through a field of calias glowing flowers. "I am a projectionist myself, though I am not terribly skilled at it. My preferences lie in other areas," ones he either forgot or did not see fit at present to give name to.

Wizard that he was, he believed in his heart that names gave power and, as such, were to be treated with caution. It explained a little more his verbal dance with both Lu's name and his own.

"Before the Valterrian shook us with Ivak's grief," he went on, launching straight into lecture mode without ceremony or warning. He did this was dropping to a seat on the ledge of the cracked fountain squatting beneath the murky chandelier that shot shards of unexpected brilliance through the sanctuary. "Glyphing was as common a practice as reading and writing. Five centuries and some later, it's scattered and rare. There are few I've come across who seemed to comprehend just exactly how diverse and useful a skill it is.

"You see, Acolyte Gavima, what glyphing does is allow a wizard of different studies to broaden and increase their abilities. For you, a projectionist, it can allow you a far swifter detachment and reattachment of your astral body without the common place side effects typically associated."
Legion

Legion
Boom, backflip.

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Lu Gavima on March 28th, 2012, 10:34 am

Lu watched and listened with a voracious intent. The Wizard's words were clear and concise, their use a discipline to the Djedweaver as unarmed fighting was to Lu. The boy had not brought any paper or quill to make notes, his attention to detail as sharp as Shinya blades.

As the pair walked deeper into the Temple, Lu found himself pleasantly surprised at Sir Meluc's practice of Projection. Considering his use of overlooked arts such as Glyphing, it should have been no surprise and yet it was. Probably more pleasant than anything else. The boy's curiosity was piqued further as he absorbed the man's knowledge.

Unceremoniously seating himself on the ground before Sir Meluc as the older man took a seat at the fountain, Lu looked directly into the Wizard's eyes as he spoke, giving him the full attention and respect such a practitioner deserved. His young mind did wander a bit, considering the world that he spoke of, so long ago. A world where Glyphing was a commonplace subject taught en masse, not in the silent womb of time's Goddess.

The words he spoke yet ceased Lu's daydreaming. His words brought the stark reality directly into the ever present moment.

"For you, a projectionist, it can allow you a far swifter detachment and reattachment of your astral body without the common place side effects typically associated."

His attention to the subject was complete. Such an incredible advantage of utility awaited him.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Elysium on April 3rd, 2013, 2:24 pm

Lu Gavima

XP:
Observation +2
Rhetoric +1

Lore:
Lore of Glyphing, Basic
Ser James Meluc, Glyphing Instructor

Notes: I'm sorry this grade is so sparse, but you two just barely touched the subject before it ended. :) If you have any concerns, please PM me!

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)