Investigating Enemy Territory (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: [Syliras Location] Investigating Enemy Territory (Open)

Postby Eris on March 30th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Eris picked at the food she’d ordered, wondering how much of her reason for being here she should disclose. “I’m here looking for information mostly. I’ve been trying to learn the whereabouts of my father and-” Eris broke off, something suddenly registering in her brain. Did Tomas say he was kept as a pet? Eris took a closer look at the man’s eyes, which shone brightly in the dimly lit room. They were a golden color, unusual in a human, but still not too surprising. He seemed overly hungry; granted, he could just have a large appetite…But, putting all that together with the “pet” comment….

Eris leaned in a little closer, trying to get a better look at him as she said, “You’re not human, are you?” She’d heard about Kelvics, read about them in books, but she’d only ever met one and even that was briefly. When she was little, she’d loved learning about the other races, constantly borrowing books from the old woman next door. And here she was, possibly in the company of a Kelvic and she hadn’t even figure it out ‘till now. What would Joel say?
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Tomas on March 30th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Tomas' food arrives and his eyes light up. He wasn't entirely sure what it was he had ordered, but it certainly looked delicious. Some sort of red meat, cooked medium, and covered in some kind of sweet sauce. In his previous life he rarely was fed cooked meals, and they were never seasoned, so every night since he arrived the food was an experience for him. He always ordered the chefs special, if they had one, and if not he always ordered something he'd never had before. Most times they were good, and this meal promised to be delicious.

Tomas scarves down half his plate, wondering if Eris was enjoying her food, then stops when she asks her question. He wipes his mouth and gives her a wolfish grin. "Human? No... not human." He loved any mention of his Kelvic side, reveling in the chance to show off his wolf form, and hoped she would ask to see. "I'm a Kelvic. Wolf, actually. You've never met one of us before?"
"Honest! I didn't know I was supposed to go in the bathroom. At home they always made me go outside!"
Tomas
Player

Words: 32648
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2010, 6:02 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Eris on March 30th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Eris’s eyes lit up at the little triumph of realizing that she was right.

“I’ve met one when I was a little girl. I think she was some kind of cat, a tigress maybe… She and her Master were travelling through our village and stayed at an inn next to our house. Come to think of it, I thought Kelvics almost always travelled with their Masters. That “bad stuff” that happened caused you and your Maser to be separated?” Eris inquired, realizing that she may be treading into some personal space only after she’d spoken. Hurriedly, she added, “If you don’t mind my asking, of course.”

Joel had always told her to control her curiosity. Ever since she could remember, she was always asking questions of travelers staying at the inn, hoping they’d have an interesting story to tell her of faraway lands and the like. Once she’d been on her own for a while, she’d learned to reel in her curiosity. But once in a while, she’d still get a little overzealous when she met someone with an interesting story to tell.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Tomas on March 31st, 2010, 3:38 am

Tomas see's the look in her eyes and smiles. "A tigress, huh? Honestly, I've only met one other Kelvic in my life, that I know of. But then, I led a sheltered life. Oh, and I met a snake person. A dhani, I think they're called." His warm demeanor fades a little when she asks him about what happened between him and his master, and he slumps a little bit. "No.. it’s okay. I don't mind telling it, it just makes me a little sad."

Tomas straightens up and takes another drink from his glass, his food forgotten. "Like I said, I was a pet. My master didn't even know what I was. Her father got me when I was just a pup. I was a gift for his daughter, Melanie. He used to tell me he rescued me, that I was to be sent to Zahova otherwise. But that was only when he was feeling generous. Most times he just treated me like a dog."

Tomas fiddles with the collar he wears around his neck. "This used to be magic of some sort. It kept me from shifting, except in certain situations. I was never allowed to reveal to Melanie that I was anything other than an obedient pet wolf. The only time I ever shifted to human form was when it was just me and her father, and sometimes his friends. Other than that, the collar would only let me shift if it meant saving Melanie's life." Tomas stares at the girl next to him, but his eyes did not see her. "She looked kind of like you. Red hair, pretty eyes. You look more like a warrior though. Melanie was not a warrior."

Tomas picks up the fork, an item he'd only recently learned to use, and fiddles with it a bit before continuing. "I didn't know what it meant at the time, but she was getting married. Everybody seemed so happy, and all I wanted was to play with her after it was all over, but He kicked me out of the room. ...then I heard the noises." He turns away. "...I thought he was hurting her. The door was barred, so I shifted to open it. I broke the rules. I revealed myself, and it turns out she wasn't in any danger. ...and I attacked him. Almost killed him."

Tomas turns back, a look of shame on his face. "I did something else too, after they took him away. I couldn't help myself. I loved her..." Tears run down his cheeks, and he can't seem to look Eris in the eyes. After a few minutes he seems to recompose himself and a slight smile plays across his face. "Anyway, long story short. Her father got mad and banished me. And now I am here."
"Honest! I didn't know I was supposed to go in the bathroom. At home they always made me go outside!"
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

[Syliras Location] Investigating Enemy Territory (Open)

Postby Eris on April 5th, 2010, 4:08 am

Eris listened intently to the man’s story, her eyes wide with interest. It seemed ridiculous to her that someone be kept as a “pet” and the collar was just cruel and unfair. After all, it was just plain wrong to keep someone collared and restrained his whole life and then tear him away from the sheltered life. She’d thought she’s had it rough the past few months, but her little misadventures seemed a trifle compared to Tomas’s story. How could he adapt to city life as a human if he’d spent most of his life as a wolf? She’d made the choice to go on the road herself, but his choice seemed to have been made for him.

When she noticed the tears on his face, Eris wasn’t sure how to react. All she could do was stay silent until the man seemed to have composed himself. She was quite relieved when he returned to speaking in a lighter tone. She had little practice dealing with other people’s feelings and didn’t particularly want to start now.

“That’s quite a story. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything like it. Most people talk of making their fortune, breaking away from oppressive parents, going out to look for a job… But this, this is very different,” Eris shook her head slightly in wonder. “This certainly makes my own foray into the world sound quite dull,” she added with a laugh.”

“But tell me, are you planning on ever returning to this Melanie again?” Eris asked, tilting her head to one side. “If you love her so much, it would be quite natural to find her one day.”

((Sorry for the delay. Went away on vacation for five days with no internet access.))
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Tomas on April 8th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Eris wrote:“That’s quite a story. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything like it. Most people talk of making their fortune, breaking away from oppressive parents, going out to look for a job… But this, this is very different,” Eris shook her head slightly in wonder. “This certainly makes my own foray into the world sound quite dull,” she added with a laugh.”

Tomas chuckles. "I'm sure its not as boring as you'd think. You seem to be an interesting person, and to me everything is new and exciting so I'd be the perfect one to tell it to." When she asks about him returning to Melanie he sighs and shakes his head. "I've thought about that, but as long as her father is around I cannot set foot in Zeltiva without getting spotted by one of his men. He is a powerful man, and I'm just a lone wolf without a clue." Taking another bite from his food he adds, "Besides, she is married now and is in love with someone else. As long as she is happy, I don't want to mess that up."

He chews slowly, an act he'd only recently discovered which released the flavor of the food so wonderfully. As a wolf, he generally ate very quickly with little regard to taste. "From what the dhani told me, I was "bonded" to her. Apparently thats what we kelvic do. I can "bond" to another, if the right person comes across, and then I'll feel whole again. But for now, I'm just content to enjoy my new life as best I can and experience as many new things as possible. Thats why I'm trying to become a guard for the merchant caravans, so I can travel and see the world, and get paid for it while I'm at it."

"Enough talk about me though. What brings you here? You said you were looking for your father?"

((Its okay. I've been really busy with work, so I haven't had a lot of time to post anyway.))
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

Postby Eris on April 8th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Eris was slightly surprised by the fact that Tomas seemed content knowing that Melania was happy. She’d expected him to want revenge on the woman’s new lover or at least a drive to get her back, but this sentiment of forgiving and starting over was certainly touching. “Not many people would be content with that kind of lot in life. In fact, you’re probably the first person I’d met who’s mind isn’t corrupted with thoughts of power and revenge,” Eris said thoughtfully, taking a long drink from the glass of water by her side.

As she drank, she considered how much she was willing to tell the man. She was used to keeping everything in her life secret, but what harm could telling him of her little quest do? “Yes, I am looking for my father. I’ve never actually met him, but I’ve heard enough stories about him from my mother and his… associate to know enough of the places he’d frequent and the people he’d talk to. Mother died when I was about eleven years of age and I became a sort of apprentice to a colleague of my father’s, a man named Joel. Joel taught me how to survive on my own, both on the road and in the cities, and he’d taught me how to…well, he taught me how to kill.” Eris paused a little, briefly running her fingers over the thin pale scar on her palm.

“I remember I’d always pestered him about my father, but he maintained that Locke was dead. One day, I found a letter from Locke among his things. The letter was written two years after the man had allegedly died. So, after I left Joel, I set out to look for him. Don’t misunderstand, I’m not looking for my father to have him become a part of my life. I just want to ask him a couple of questions and then I can finally move on. I’d heard from a source that he might have passed through Sylaris about a year ago, so here I am.” Eris finished her narrative, with some bitterness seeping into her voice. Even more than asking Locke some questions, she wanted to have his throat at the point of her dagger.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Tomas on April 9th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Tomas shakes his head and finishes off the last of his food, pushing his plate aside. "The mark of true love is being willing to sacrifice everything for the one you love to be happy. I heard one of Melanie's tutors tell her that once... I am holding on to that now. Besides, if I was to get revenge on anybody, it would be her father. But without him, I wouldn't be where I am now. I'd probably be some experiment in a Nuit labratory by now."

Tomas listens quitely as she explains her story, having some understanding of what it's like to have never known your true family, though his circumstances were a lot different from hers. He can sense the bitterness in her voice as she talks about him though, and realises there is probably more to it than she is telling.

"I never knew my parents... though they did not abandon me. I was taken from them, and sold. Maybe your father has a good reason for why he was never around, maybe he doesn't. But you shouldn't let it eat away at you. Life's to short to waste it." Tomas pauses, considering for a moment. "I don't think I've heard of anyone named Locke around here, but I haven't been here very long. ...if you'd like some company, maybe I could help you. I've got the best nose around, and I'm a good bodyguard if you're planning on poking around the dangerous parts of town."
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

Postby Eris on April 9th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Eris nodded wordlessly, a sign of thanks for his words. They were comforting, if not especially helpful. She had often tried to convince herself in her mind with the same arguments he was making now and hearing them from another person was a nice consolation.

Eris smiled slightly, pleasantly surprised at the man’s offer. It’s been a long time since she received a genuinely friendly offer that didn’t hinge on murder or money. It's also been a long time since she had any company. It was sweet that he thought she’d need a body guard, when in reality, she’d spent the better part of her life in the dangerous parts of towns. As for his having a good nose…that could be useful. “I do believe there’s a way you could help me, being a wolf and all… Are you any good at tracking? That’s a skill I need, but do not possess. If you were to teach me about tracking, I could teach you something I know in return,” she said, taking a sip from her glass, “Though I think you’re too honest to have need of the kind of skills I have.”
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Tomas on April 25th, 2010, 12:38 am

((Sorry for the long delay. Computer was messed up, had to get it fixed.))

Tomas grins and nods. "Sure, I can teach you. Hunting, tracking, I'm good at it all, though I have a slight advantage over most people." He taps his nose and makes a sniffing noise. "But I can definetly teach you to read a trail. I haven't been hunting in a long time, but I'm pretty sure I've still got what it takes."

Tomas finishes off his drink and sets it down to his empty plate, then leans forward. "And I might be honest, but thats because I have nothing to hide. Besides, I like you, and I don't know anybody, so I don't have many options on who I can travel with. If you'll have me, I'd like to go with you, at least for a while, and I'll teach you everything I know."
Tomas
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext