[Sanctuary] A Fox In The Hen House! A Fennec Fox! (open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on May 4th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Kavala listened quietly. Half way through Flick's tale she pulled a throw blanket off the back of the woven seating they perched on and draped it across Flick's shoulders, tucking it around her. Kavala listened without asking questions. She could feel Flick's trauma and the turmoil she still felt. In many ways it angered the Konti that the fennec had been treated so badly and yet there was not much the kelvic could do about it.

It was a story perhaps as old as the kelvics actually were. And it made Kavala furious that someone would first and foremost purchase another living sentient creature as a 'pet' and then give it to a child who obviously didn't have half a brain in his head.

"There's something you should understand about the Akalaks, Flick... They are like two people sharing one body. Each of us has a soul, just one, for every one of us. But the Akalaks have two people living inside of them. One is a good pure man, but often the other is more violent and cruel. It's not always the case but many times it is. It's possible the man you bonded too is not the one that tried to give you to his son... and that the son won't always try to ... uh force things on you. But they are often dangerous, the Akalaks, unless you are dealing with their brighter side." She said softly, gently hugging the Fennec turned human. She took her hand and sat beside her just letting her talk - letting her spill all her fear so it was aired out and on the surface instead of buried deep inside.

She looked quietly too - with her eyes and her senses to see if she could feel any major injuries. If there was a beating, the fox may still have wounds. "I wish I could offer you some insight about your bond, Flick. But I have a feeling no one would be so cruel as to make you stay with someone that beats you - even the Gods themselves. I can only hope your feelings fade. You can't stay with someone who won't treat you right and won't protect you from others - even their son. But I can tell you that you need better friends, people that will love you and treat you with the respect you deserve. It doesn't matter what your status is... freeborn, slave... I will find out. I'll ask some discrete questions and figure out what we can do to make sure this doesn't happen. I know it won't be tolerated if it was known.... and until then your absolutely staying here because you need some rest and relaxation and a few people to pamper you. You can have that here without the pressure of worrying if someone is going to hurt you." Kavala was mad about that. Completely mad. It made her furious, in fat, to know what was going on.

"What do you think... would you like some help and to stay until we figure out what to do?"
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Flick on May 5th, 2010, 11:11 am

Sniffing, the kelvic leaned into the warm arms of the kind konti, letting go of her knees and tucking back her hair. Two souls in one body? She could easily believe that about the younger akalak...but Reghitaar? Surely he'd never turn on her or be cruel. The way Kavala spoke, she seemed to suggest it was his darker side that had rescued her from the pits. Flick couldn't bring herself to believe that...even if it was possibly true. Her love for Reghitaar was to strong, even now.

It took a moment for the young creature to take in Kavala's words as she offered Flicl refuge. A place to stay, warmer and nicer than her backalley crate. Pulling away, she looked at the konti with glittering eyes.

"Really? You really would let me stay? Even after the sun goes down and everyone is ready for bed?" It was all the kelvic wanted since she'd fled. Her loneliness was more of a wound than any of the blows she had recieved. Instinctivly, she already had a lie planned about how she would take up the offer, but her extensive brace of friends might complain...then she realised...there was no need. No reason. Here, she could only be honest. Smiling widely at the konti, the fox nodded.

"I want to stay." Flick said simply, an understatement to the gratitiude she felt. Words couldn't express how she felt - if she'd had her tail it would be wagging and she would smother Kavala in licks.
Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on May 12th, 2010, 9:08 pm

She smiled. "Then stay. It's all settled. Lets take a few weeks and just relax until we can decide what to exactly do about your previous situation. There's a few folks I can talk discretely to that will have some advice, but it may be that I need to go talk to your previous owner or perhaps Nivar himself before the whole thing is settled. You shouldn't have to spend your life hiding. You deserve to find someone you want to be with who wants you to be with them.... what do they call them? A bonder? Bond? Bondmate? Anyhow.. regardless. You can stay here... relax in these rooms, have the run of the stable yard and clinic... but I'd stay out of sight outside of Sanctuary unless you can be very careful." Kavala said softly.

"We eat breakfast and dinner here, but there's food on the table for lunch - just simple things of bread, cheese, fruit. Be welcome to any of that you'd like. The only thing I'd ask of you is that you clean up after yourself so no one has extra work, and if you'd like to help with anything, feel free to do so. I don't know what you can actually do, but we can always use help in the kitchen or with the horses and even with the patients if you don't mind sick or injured animals." She said gently, looking thoughtful.

"There's a bath outside - I do like people to keep clean. But you can wear anything of mine that will fit you as long as you really try hard not to loose them or tear holes in them since I'm not so good at mending or finding things."
Kavala smiled slightly. Then she looked thoughtful.

"So... what do you actually know how to do Flick? And is there anything you might like to know more about? I'm teaching myself cooking at the moment, and we are about ready to put in a forge. But other than that... there's room to learn and grow here too if you feel the need."
She said, not sure really what the kelvics needs were.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Flick on May 16th, 2010, 10:23 pm

Flick cringed with a smile at the mention of a bath. She'd much rather roll in a dust bath, but there were some social nicieties she had learned people appricated. If Kavala wanted her to bath, then it would be done. Smoothing out the skirt around her legs, the kelvic nodded as the konti talked about clothing. It would probably just be easier to run around in her fennec form, requiring only the clothing she had for her stay. It was the form she was more used to anyway.

Looking up as Kavala asked her what she could actually do, Flick pulled a face of deep consideration.

"Well, I can listen really well. I can hear creatures before they reach your stairs. I can hear the owl and the cat downstairs...he is very quiet when he wants to be isnt he?" Tapping her chin, the girl thought harder.

"I can track things, and I can navigate well in the dark. I'm good at catching mice, but not rats. They are a little big for me." Stopping her thought, the young creature smiled apologetically at the konti.

"I'm not really good at anything proper like cooking or making things. I've never had to do any of that. But...I'd like to try cooking? I'd like to learn that." The blonde nodded with an even wider grin, as though she found herself particularly clever for wanting to do that. Even the thought made her giggle a little, picturing herself as a fox running around spicing pots in a kitchen. A silly thought, but fun none-the-less. Focusing back on Kavala, she shrugged.

"If you need help with anything, I can at least try."
Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on May 27th, 2010, 7:08 pm

ImageKavala smiled, feeling Flick's feelings of aversion towards a bath acutely. The Konti was a softy and knew the fox had ways of getting clean that weren't human, but were just as effective. "Okay. Okay... we can compromise on the bathing." She reached out and hugged Flick, pulling her softly into the Konti's embrace. There was nothing but gentle acceptance in the action as Kavala lowered her voice and whispered softly to the Fennec Fox.

"Flick, I'll tell you a secret. We are all scared sometimes. We are all lost. Sometimes its all we can do to make it through the day with a quiet place to rest and a little bit in our stomach. I've had times in my life where I wasn't sure if I'd live through the day. There were other times that I didn't want to live to see another sunrise. It's hard for me to talk about, but please understand I know how you feel. And please understand me when I say sincerely that you don't have to prove yourself here. You don't have to earn your keep or be useful in any way. You don't owe anyone here anything. We'll help... I'll help because you need it. I needed it once and someone reached out and gave me the aid I wanted; The aid I needed. But, that being said, we can use your great hearing. Mares get restless and some are still foaling out. We could use someone that can listen for something at night not being right. We can use a tracker when things are lost, or a laugh when things are sad. Or just someone to hug once in a while when one of us needs it. If you want to mouse, that would be appreciated but your going to have to work it out with the cat and the owl, because they have some sort of understanding going on and you'd better get in on it before making them angry." Kavala sat back, released Flick, and smiled again, a little sadly.

"We'll work it out. Everyone has to have time to find their place. Its not easy. I can tell you are someone who really needs someone to love. I can feel that about you. Your love, your positive energy fills you completely up... so much so I imagine its bursting forth sometimes. And I know your nature means you would like to serve, in some capacity at least... but we'll wait, Flick... okay? We'll do what we can to keep you safe and wait because I trust in the Gods. I really do. Someone is out there for you. Someone very special, maybe even one of these crazy Akalaks. But we need to take care of you first before you can start taking care of someone else. And I think that means time to breathe." Kavala said, and then chuckled.

Kavala was silent for a moment, looking thoughtful, before another smile played across her lips.

"And if you'd like, you can learn to cook along with me. I'm a terrible cook! But I love to eat, so maybe we can do something together? With that nose of yours, I imagine you'd be superior at spicing and flavoring things...." So maybe together they could forge a friendship along with a common interest.

"And... I should tell you too that I'm a Konti... you might have already known that, or not... but each of us has a gift. Some Konti can see the future or the past. Some can tell when someone's lying or telling the truth. My gift is animal empathy. I can feel your feelings as if they are my own. I don't mean to intrude, Flick, but sometimes when your thinking something strongly, I can feel it. I know you want your privacy.. everyone would. That's why I wanted to tell you.. thats why I'm an animal and kelvic healer rather than a healer of people. Animals can literally tell me where it hurts whereas most everyone else just has to guess. But that's just my talent. Everyone has one.. even non-konti and even kelvics. You'll find your own talent, if you give yourself enough of a chance to stretch your legs. And in the meantime... I hope we can offer you what our name implies... Sanctuary."
Kavala said softly. She almost cringed, knowing that Akela her sister would burst out laughing if she heard Kavala being sentimental and so firm.

But Kavala took the idea of the place they were seriously. She'd stand by it. Absolutely and wholeheartedly.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Puck on June 4th, 2010, 12:51 am

Thread Award

Kavala -
    Skills
    Interrogation: 2
    Rhetoric: 1

Flick -
    Skills
    Negotiation: 1

Lore
    Lore of Letting Someone In

Notes: Great thread guys! Twas a real tear jerker. It started off a bit slow, but later on I thoroughly enjoyed the emotions coming from Flick. The way you wrote them makes her extremely sympathetic. Also, I found Kavala's little concerns that kept cropping up on the side of the major issue to be rather real. Good job you two, keep up the good work.

Oh, but Kavala told Flick about her gift twice, I am not entirely sure if that was intentional or not. ^^
Puck
Loving your Lazy Eye

Words: 143109
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous