[Gates of Syliras] The Crusader Cometh (open)

a new adventurer arrives in Syrilas from the sands of Eyktol, and sets up camp.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Retar on February 12th, 2012, 11:11 pm

TimeStamp: Day 54, Winter of 512 AV. 5:43 PM

Retar sighed with relief when the gates to Syliras came into view. He was marching up the Southern Kabrin Road from Yahebah for the past three days, and his feet grew weary. Setting up camp outside the walls of the city (at a distance that wouldn’t provoke the guards), he began to unload his faithful steed named Kala. Kala was a beautiful Eyktolian Desertbreed horse with a spunky attitude, forcing Retar to walk on foot for the journey after several attempts to mount. His experience in riding is the same as his sophistication; nil. Kala began to nibble at the grass nearby as he pitched the tent and made his living space comfortable.

“Thanks be to Yahal for a safe journey.” He said with gratitude to the sky. He shuffled through his belongings. The Temple of Yahal in Yahebah had provided him with amiable supplies, for he ate his rations heartily and now had five-sevenths of his starting quantity. He took out the third day’s ration and began to munch the combination of dried wheat bread and goat cheese. After his respite, Retar went about his business tending to Kala and organizing his belongings for maximum accessibility. He then sat outside the entrance to the tent and began to pray silently to Yahal. He smiled peacefully with concentration...
Retar
Battle-Ready Benshira

Words: 7521
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2012, 10:43 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Andresciel on February 16th, 2012, 6:31 pm

The Knight would hear the words of the Benshira, and turned as he heard the praise to Yahal. He moved closer, watching the horse, and bringing his hand up. He had no friendship with horses, but still, it kept Velenor from leaving his side. The small smoke ball floated aimlessly around Andre's head, lost in the strange thoughts of a familiar. Andresciel's armor shimmered in the soft sunlight from above, even as his sapphire blue eyes came down to the man. "Greetings be to you, child of Yahal. May I join you for your prayers and perhaps offer company?" Andresciel would offer, his hand coming up to his heart, "I am Andresciel, a Knight of Syliras, and Son of Yahal."
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Words: 90070
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2011, 3:07 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Retar on February 17th, 2012, 1:16 pm

“Ahh, a brother! Falim to you! I am Retar, of the Sands of Eyktol of the Sons of None. It is good to meet someone of the faith in my first arrival.” He cheerfully shuffles to make room for Andresciel. Retar studied the knight more closely. A smoky wisp seemed to dart two and fro around Andresciel’s head. Also, no weapon could be seen on his person.

“May I ask a question?” said Retar. He itched the bandages on his right eye as he arranged his thoughts. “Why do you have no weapon? These are harsh times, what with the Valterrian and all. Maybe you should learn some swordsmanship.” Pulling out his twin khopeshes from the tent, Retar laid them across his lap to display his pride and joy. “I cannot give you one of mine, but I can lend you one. Would you like a friendly sparring match? A good bout is also a great way to express oneself and to honor the god of truth and justice.”

Retar clasped his hands together again, still with the khopeshes on his lap. “…Or we can peacefully meditate in prayer. I will let you decide.”
Retar
Battle-Ready Benshira

Character sheet

Postby Andresciel on February 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Andresciel smiled at the man's words as he settled down to kneel beside the Benshira. "Alas you are right, I do not have traditional weapons. My body is my weapon, as are these gauntlets I wear upon my arms." The Knight Mage stated as he brought his arm up to display the ancient rune marking on his gauntlets. "And as for a spar, I am up for it, but I must warn you, Brother of my Faith, I am a Reimancer." His hand kinda twitched as he expected the other Yahal-son to distrust him. Most people disliked mages, and his kind were among the most hated it seemed.

"But should we spar, you should probably know my companion." He held his palm up, letting the small smoke wisp land upon it, "This is Velenor, my familiar. He and I just got bonded, so the little thing is a bit air headed." The Knight said softly as Velenor spoke softly, "Greetings Friend of My Master".
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Retar on February 19th, 2012, 6:04 am

Retar furrowed his brow and frowned. A Reimancer. He had heard of magic back in Yahebah, but never expected to encounter a follower of Yahal who practiced magic. Retar analyzed the situation. He would surely be incinerated my the magus if he attempted even a friendly fight with his khopeshes; especially with the little floating puff ball that swirled about … Then an idea seemed to jump into his skull.

Retar stood up, and only attached one khopesh to his belt. “I have an idea.” Began Retar, “Your magic is alien to my experience with swords in the Sands of Eyktol. What if we shared our knowledge? I am competent with my blades, and you must be adept in wielding air and fire. First, I can show you how to fight like me, and then vice versa. What do you say, wayward brother?” Retar offers his unequipped khopesh by the haft of the scabbard. He uneasily wonders what could come of this. Syliras is drastically different from his homeland already, and he hasn’t even been through the gates yet!
Retar
Battle-Ready Benshira

Character sheet

Postby Andresciel on February 19th, 2012, 9:33 pm

The knight stood, taking the khopesh, "I do enjoy learning, brother. I will teach you of magic, for your knowledge of the knopesh." He lifted the blade, testing its weight as he let his res dance over him. Gusts of wind began buffeting his cloak. "Shall we begin?" He asked, tightening his gauntlets, as that would be his teaching instrument.
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Retar on February 20th, 2012, 4:33 am

Retar paced backwards, and began to mark a wide circle in the ground using the heel of his sandal. The dirt parted reasonably and made a roughly sketched battle area. “We’ll start with the basics then.” said Retar. He slowly drew his khopesh from the scabbard with his right hand. “First, you need to know that a khopesh is no ordinary sword. We of the Benshira people dance with our blades rather than hack and slash. The khopesh is curved for slicing, yet straight for stabbing. I will now demonstrate a few basic maneuvers…”

Retar bent his knees slightly, and imagined that an enemy stood before him. Raising the khopesh high, he swept down and then up in a cross cut. The move was a bit more rigid than normal, because Retar was more accommodated to planting his feet in the shifty sands of Eyktol. He attempts the move again, with a more acceptable outcome. Glancing at Andresciel, He then adds in a spin step after the cross cut and ends the combo with a horizontal slash.

Lowering the blade, Retar looked at his friend with confidence. “That is a simple opening move with the khopesh. Practice it for me, and then we can move on into blocking and matching the tempo of combat if you wish.” He steps out of the ring and encourages Andresciel to take the stage.
Retar
Battle-Ready Benshira

Character sheet

Postby Andresciel on February 21st, 2012, 5:08 am

"Simple to you, my brother." The Knight stated as he pushed up from the ground, indicating his armor, "Though light, and does not weigh me down in unarmed combat, this thing hinders me as well." The Warrior Mage lifted his own borrowed Khopesh, twisting the blade as he sighs, breathing in deep and clearing his mind. He stepped forward, slicing the blade downwards, before spinning and kicking outwards with his foot. "You will have to forgive me, I am used to having my body as a weapon, Brother Retar." The Knight stated as his foot came down. "Mayhaps I can teach you some of my unarmed skill." He offered, stepping back to let the man go ahead.
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Retar on February 22nd, 2012, 9:05 pm

Retar stood with intrigue as he watched Andresciel combine unarmed combat with the khopesh. He itched his eye bandage and said, “To combine brawling with blade work is harder than focusing on one style. Sure, every man fights in his own way, but you must trust in the sword. It is more useful than you may first think.”

Retar walked into the circle and held aloft his Khopesh. “For a demonstration, have at me with whatever punch or kick you can think of. I swear not to shear the limbs from your body. That wouldn’t be very fortunate now would it?” he laughs to himself. “All in good jest, my friend. Now then – let us spar! Your choice of weaponry against my single khopesh. Winner teaches the loser in the form of combat that reigned victorious.” He took a sideways stance, right hand posing with the khopesh like a scorpion’s tail. He beckoned with his left, ready to see what a fist-flinging mage could do.
Retar
Battle-Ready Benshira

Character sheet

Postby Andresciel on February 26th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Andre's eyes danced, as he dropped the khopesh, drawing his res in. He drew the res around his fists, creating a wind drill. It would do no harm, just add speed to his strikes. He rushed the man, his body swift, before he stopped, throwing his right arm forward, a palm thrust towards the males stomach, "Alright, my friend."
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes