[Flashback] The Gods of Battle (Solo)

[The Temple of All Gods] Seeking information on divinity in such a place is like going to a Wikipedia of Mizahar Gods.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Eridanus on February 14th, 2012, 3:47 am

Day 12, Summer of 509 AV
Mid Morning
The Temple of All Gods, Stormhold Castle

The doors of the great temple swung open and a rebellious-looking vantha entered the lofty confines of the religious building. His attitude and general style screamed of nonchalant flamboyance, and his almost perfect, unlined face spoke of carefree youth.

That may be true if he were at this age in his past life, but this image was the one chosen by Leth when the Moon God picked Eridanus to join Him in Ukalas, and so this difference was marked not just by Eri's nightly transformation, but also with the difference of flashing eyes that spoke volumes, eyes that spoke of centuries of experience that proved to be a jarring juxtaposition with his seeming youth.

His main purpose here was to find out more about the gods that had piqued his interest quite some time ago, as well as some of the names that a few Knights had uttered when praying for something. His constant wandering gifted him little friends, and he did not find it polite to question acquaintances about their religious outlook for he believed that religion was a deeply personal thing.

Thus it was with great interest when he realized that Syliras had a universal place of worship unlike the other cities which had shrines or temples dedicated to only one god. This was his perfect chance to find the specific shrines of the divine beings whom he wished to know more of, and perhaps interact with their followers.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Eridanus on February 14th, 2012, 3:58 am

The vantha had often heard the name 'Wysar' bandied about even all the way back while he was in Denval, and he heard that name uttered as well back in the University of Zeltiva. The most common ideals he had heard that were usually associated with Wysar was that of integrity, conviction and discipline. It generally pointed to uprightness and the mental determination to do things well.

He had admired these ideals for he felt that it resonated quite soundly with him as well. After the bout involving Priskil many decades ago he found himself quite disgusted with his prior actions. His conscious and unconscious attempt at self-redemption manifested in his strive to always do the 'right' thing, and to have the mental discipline to focus his shattered mind that he expressed through constant meditation and single-minded attention in whatever task he was doing.

Thus the first thing he did was to wander the huge institute of worship. Unlike the usual temples there was no central motif or recurring colors that represented the particular deity such temples worshiped. The Temple of All Gods was a peaceful place of worship, allowing each to pay tribute to their preferred gods, and the entire area was a chaotic hodgepodge of colors that still managed to blend into a wonderful mix of colors.

He managed to find an area marked out for Wysar with little searching, though he actually found it by mistake. He found a congregation of large, muscular blue-skinned men and out of curiosity he went to take a look, finding by delight that they were gathering around a small shrine to Wysar.

Then again, some people claimed that the God of Conviction was an Akalak, though Eri highly doubted that gods were bound to mortal concepts such as race.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 14th, 2012, 4:06 am

As the vantha approached the shrine a few of the akalaks looked at him with curious glances. As he bore the mortal shell of a vantha most people assumed that he was a follower of Morwen. Unlike 'real' vantha, however, he did not bore the Ice Queen's gnosis and though he did not exactly follow Her, his submerged memories of his past life felt some form of familiarity towards the Goddess of Winter.

Nodding pleasantly to the akalaks who glanced at him, he made his way nearer to the center of the shrine where he found several others, both akalaks and non-akalaks sitting cross-legged on the floor. He instantly recognized them as meditating, though there was a sort of easy bliss on their faces as they sat there serenely. There were one or two just staring at the shrine as if they were reading invisible words only they could see, and the rest were either silently standing around or mingling with others.

A broad-shouldered human male wearing the colors of the peace-enforcers of Syliras observed the vantha curiously as he made his way closer to the shrine, and when Eri caught his eye he asked a single word questioningy, "Evantia?"

Eridanus looked at him in confusion, and the man asked that same word again, expecting some sort of response. The continued look of bafflement from the vantha probably answered the man's question, though from his mild look of disappointment it was not the answer the knight hoped for.

"You don't look local, stranger. Looking for Wysar's shrines?" The knight asked.

That was a question in a language Eri understood, and he replied, "I'm not. Yes I am actually, this is first place I find that actually allows universal worship."

The knight grinned, proud of the achievements of his city and said, "That we do. Are you a follower of Wysar too?"

"I'm not sure if I can be considered as a 'follower of Wysar', good knight. I'm afraid I know too little to qualify as one. Yet, the little I heard interests me a great deal, and may I even dare say, I fancy sharing some of his ideals with him."

The knight nodded in delight, and he gestured to move further away from the people meditating close to the shrine so as not to disturb them.

"I have been taught texts about Him, myself, as part of my training as a squire. I have heard that Wysar himself had manifested to one or two of my peers before, but I never had the opportunity to see Him in person," the knight lamented. "What may I call you, vantha?"

"Eridanus."

"Ser Torant, at your service," the knight introduced himself with a flourish, "What little do you know about Wysar?"

"I have been told that he is the god of discipline. I have been through... certain mental inconsistencies, so to speak, in the past that proved to be quite infuriating. Since then I have been constantly meditating and conditioning my mind to build better physical and mental discipline. I find solidarity in a god that governs such a domain."

"Your sources are correct. It's great to hear that you have defeated your own demons through willpower, actually. Back to the topic, however, that's not the whole story. Wysar not only governs discipline, he also governs conviction and integrity. That is one of the reasons whys us knights often look up to him, besides Sylir, of course."

Eridanus thought for a moment, and found the idea quite pleasing. Discipline was a neutral tool, after all, that people with both good or evil intent can use to their own benefit. Conviction is the willpower needed to utilize discipline in order to pursue a goal, and integrity is the moral that holds all of these strong traits together.

"I admit I am quite sold, Ser Torant."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 16th, 2012, 10:22 am

There was an awkward silence between the two acquaintances, which Eri strove to break by clearing his throat and making more conversation.

“Pray tell, what exactly was the meaning behind the question you asked me earlier?”

Torant gave a sheepish smile, scratching his head as he said, “Seeing as you were a stranger who made a beeline for Wysar’s shrine upon entering the temple it seemed pretty likely that you were his follower. Just from trained observation I can tell from your strides and your movements that you are no stranger to combat. Evantia is the gift that Wysar bestows on his faithful, and sometimes he bestows His gift to people who He decides to manifest to. I put two and two together and figured that it was quite possible that He might have appeared to you.”

Eridanus chuckled and waved an arm dismissively, “I don’t think Wysar would appear to one who knows so little of him. That is resolved now, thanks to you. What other things do you know about Wysar?”

The knight rubbed his chin thoughtfully, replying, “I believe that He does not quite like people with questionable ethics or lazy people who expect things to happen just by worshipping Him. I suppose that much is obvious through inference from the domains He governs.”

“That much I gather. I have a little policy myself about religion, but before I say it I also after another policy of giving people the privacy to self-guard their own religions. I’m not a zealot despite my passion or beliefs, if you know what I mean.”

“Speak your mind, Eridanus. I will try my best to be open-minded.”

“Though Gods walk this world and openly interacts with people, I find people who worship gods for the help they can get quite baffling. Before I cause any misunderstandings, first allow me to clarify this statement. There are people who pray to gods for the strength to pass their ordeals, and there are people who pray to gods to solve their problems for them. Now, I believe that I fit quite comfortably in the former, for there are quite a few gods that I am grateful to for merely existing just to their existence could lend strength to me. The latter, however, I find baffling for they expect some sort of divine intervention to resolve their problems for them.”

“In other words, you’re saying that you believe in the idea of gods only helping those who help themselves, I gather?”

“Quite rightly so. They may be divine, but I think they at least share a similar mindset with us in that aspect. Unless a God of Charity exists, in that case that would be a different matter.”

“Then there was no need for such a disclaimer in your words, Eridanus! The knights think the same too, and we do not take kindly to slobs expecting help from us. If they try their best of their abilities to make a living in Syliras, we will also do our best to ensure that they live a life as comfortable as we can in exchange for their contribution. If you don’t mind me asking, what other gods do you worship?”

Eridanus hesitated, for he usually did not share his religious beliefs unless asked, for personally he thought that religion was a highly personal thing. He saw it as a private relationship between him and the divine, and he found it unsettling to rattle such details off to random strangers.

“As you rightly observed, I am Morwen’s child. That much I am grateful to Her for,” he first began. It was more complicated than that, of course, for technically he was only a vantha in his previous life. That meant that consciously he did not exactly worship Her, but the remnants of memories from his past life made him feel some sort of familiarity with the Ice Queen, which generally made him confused as to which place in his heart did She occupy.

“Priskil is my totem of hope and my anchor to sanity in this dangerous and troubled world,” he continued. He did not elaborate further of course, for his history with the Goddess of Hope was a long story and one that he did not quite like to elaborate on due to the dangerous historical baggage that tallied along with it. She was definitely important though, for he was able to grasp optimism in this post-apocalyptic world.

“For fear of sounding redundant, Wysar, for the similar characteristics we share and the admiration I have for His ideals. I also look up to Yahal, for His noble intentions and good character that I hope to emulate in my own life and dealings with others. Finally, to some extent Myri for I have been in certain… tangles in the wilderness and somehow the invocation of her name proved effective in boosting morale. I’m sure you understand what I’m driving at.”

Ser Torant looked at Eridanus with an interested expression, and he replied, “I find that you share very similar traits in your characteristics and the gods you worship to the Syliran Knights, Eridanus. If you had grown up here you would have most likely be a damned good squire.”

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 16th, 2012, 11:14 am

Eridanus shrugged, “Thank you for the compliment Ser Torant, though I’m afraid that I may not be qualified enough in my love for serving Syliras as well as the personal sacrifices asked of the knights for our well-being.” It was a compliment in return, and one that the knight took quite well.

“Anyway, my patrol shift should be starting soon, and I fear that in my enthusiasm of conversing with you I may have dallied longer than I should. Well-met stranger, and may both of us have the fortune to meet Wysar. If fate decrees us meeting again, let us discuss religion further and maybe share a pointer or two in sparring, eh?”

“Well-met, Ser Torant. Fortune smile on you too.”

With that, the knight excused himself from the gathering and exited the temple. Eridanus rubbed his chin as he glanced at the people silently meditating near the shrine, and he gazed thoughtfully at the five letters edged manually on the make-shift altar that spelled the name of the god of conviction. Nodding to himself as if coming to a decision, he silently left the area, walking the huge halls of the temple to find his next target.

This time he was able to find what he was looking for much more easily, for outside of Yahebah the one organization that openly worshipped Yahal was the Syliran Knights.

O Noble One… I have progressed thus far, but I still find myself unworthy of Your ideals. Yet, I strive everyday to match Your holy standards, and I only pray that you do not find my feeble but best-willed attempts pathetic.

The altar was grander, and there were quite some people gathering around the area, though from what it seems besides the occasional benshira the gathering of Yahal’s faithful seemed to almost comprise of knights and squires. In fact, there was an educated-looking man who stood at one of the walls which had some writing on them, and looked like he was lecturing a group of young children.

Eridanus gradually made his way towards the group out of curiosity, and from what he heard the children were pages who were undergoing a lecture about Yahal.

“The writing you see on the wall is a copy of what was written on the Penita Scrolls – which contain words directly from Yahal to His followers. There are only two places where you can find the Penita Scrolls, in Yahal’s temple in Yahebah, or here in Syliras where updates of the Scrolls are sent to whenever He deigns to spread His divine words. The words you see here, is a copy of the copy the Syliran Knights received from Yahebah, and I expect a report on these words before our next lesson.”

This demand was met with several groans from the children, though the man’s fierce glare quickly cut short the groans.

“Yahal represents faithfulness and purity, and He demands nobility and self-sacrifice from His followers. As you can see from this drawing over here, “ the teacher pointed to a mural beside the words etched into the wall, “The man drawn here is obviously Yahal, and He is shown attacking this black mass of tendrils. Can anyone tell me what this thing represents?”

“Fear!” A page chimed enthusiastically.

“Exactly. Fear and corruption. These are the traits that Yahal most absolutely hates in His followers, and though not all knights worship Yahal, we share the same ideals in that as well. As a knight, you must be pure of heart, faithful to your organization, fellow knights and the city, and you must never have cowardly fear and corruptive deceit in your heart and actions. Are we clear on that?”

“Yes ser,” the pages roused automatically.

“You have half a bell to take a look around here, and after which you are to gather at this spot. You are dismissed for now.”

As the children took off in their curiosity to examine more of the words and murals etched and painted on the walls, Eridanus approached the man in an obvious manner, “Hail good sir.”

The teacher sized the vantha up as he approached, returning the greeting, “Hail stranger. Not local here, are you?”

Eridanus chuckled, shaking his head. For some reason he found this phrase most often uttered to him. The crowds in Syliras were the most multiracial and multicultural in Mizahar, demographically speaking, but somehow the locals had some sort of psychic sense as to who were residents on the city and who were merely visiting. He would never know how they knew.

“Do you worship Him?” the vantha asked, jerking his head towards the grand altar dedicated to Yahal.

“I prescribe to some of his teachings, naturally, and as a teacher on religious studies for pages I do know quite a bit about Yahal, but no I am not a follower of Yahal. I am an avid follower of Eyris actually, for She was the one who allowed me to accumulate so much knowledge smoothly so that I could pass them down to the younger generation.”

Eridanus glanced at the altar, remarking, “A noble goal, good sir. I always had the utmost respect for teachers, for without them we as a civilization can never progress.”

“And yet we are never paid enough,” The teacher laughed, though Eridanus suspected it to be some sort of inside joke that only teachers understood. He was not familiar of the pay-scale for teachers, but he heard the exact same words from quite a few of his professors back in Zeltiva University. It was most definitely a ‘teacher thing’.

“I overheard your lecture and might I say it is most illuminating, even if it weren’t meant for me. Excuse me,” Eridanus replied, ending their conversation, for he realized that he had something important to do.

“Take your time, stranger,” the teacher quipped in a nonchalant manner, returning to studying the words on the wall carefully.

Making his way towards the altar, Eridanus looked at the statue placed on the altar. It was either made out of wood, but the most striking thing about the statue was the golden and glittering belt and spear equipped by the wooden statue. This was Yahal’s trademark in a way, for the belt signified faithfulness while the spear signified purity, the two domains that He governed.

We have come a long way together, Yahal. Regardless if I am worthy of Your attention, please accept this little offering as a sign of my dedication to Your ideals.

The vantha took one of the joss sticks that lay in a container on the altar, and he lit up the incense, standing back to look at the statue as he held the burning stick in his hands. He quickly reflected on his past deeds, and with a note of gratitude he placed the stick in the large container in the middle of the altar that held such offerings.

Take care, Holy One.

With that, he dropped several gold mizas in a donation box that would help to maintain the altar, and he bowed shortly in respect to Yahal. Following the god’s path was probably one of the most difficult tasks that lay for Eri, for He demanded utmost dedication to His ideals. Though once immortal, through his dealings with the mortal world Eridanus was quick to adapt to the ‘human’ way of doing things, and over the decades he quickly became more corruptible due to his disappointment in humanity.

His worship of Priskil helped him to see the error of his ways, and taking up the worship of Yahal helped to provide him a personal template, or a set of rules, to follow in terms of morality. It was sometimes difficult to follow through due to the realities of the dangers in Mizahar, but one that he strove to follow as much as he could, nonetheless.

With that, he left the area, seeking out one more part of the temple.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 16th, 2012, 3:49 pm

It was in an empty corner of the vast temple. A small section of the temple reserved for the worship of the Goddess of War. Myri the Usurper. Interestingly there was no one at her altar at this time, save for the one or two curious passers-by. Eridanus approached the altar, finding a small worn-out book placed on the table with its pages flipped open. Closer observation shows that there were many words on it, most written in common. The variety of handwriting showed that there was more than one author, and the different fade of the ink showed different words were written at different times.

He studied the words, and he found that they were written by different people thanking Myri for various successes in their lives. It seemed that his view of Myri had been close-minded indeed, for she was not only the Goddess of War, she was also the Goddess of Victories, especially personal victories. It seemed that she did not discriminate between the victories, with some according the winning of a duel to her while others accorded passing their written tests or succeeding in finding what they sought to her.

There was another book beside that journal, and he picked it up with interest. The author claimed to be from Taloba, which meant that this book had traveled quite a distance. Even if it were a copied version the transfer of knowledge over such vast distances was quite heartening, especially to a seeker of knowledge like Eridanus.

He flipped open the first page, and as he read on he became engrossed in its contents. It told of an epic tale of adventure and betrayal, of a woman from humble beginnings to her final rise into godhood. It was the life story of Myri, from her humble mortal beginnings, to her unification of the tribes, to her victory over the then God of War Ruros with the use of an artifact from Dira. It was ingenious indeed, and by the time Eridanus finished reading the thin book a bell later he was quite impressed by her.

Unlike other gods who have mysterious beginnings of which no one quite knew how they came about, Myri's rise to godhood proved to be humbling and was something that he found he could relate to, for she started out mortal. Her unification of the tribes showcased her tactical genius and battlefield smarts, and the vantha found that he was not surprised that soldiers, guards and mercenaries alike all paid tribute to her.

Like Wysar, she suffered no fools and slobs and respects skill, and like Yahal she valued commitment and loyalty. However, the main attribute that puts her apart from those two gods were her ruthless cunning and her view of the ends justifying the means.

The vantha found himself empathizing with those points for he often found her view a good way to solve problems. However, that was sometimes at odds with Yahal's demand of doing the right thing. The problem was finding the balance between the two. It was something worth ruminating on.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 16th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Finally, he turned around to exit the temple. He had spent quite a few bells in these hallowed halls, but in exchange he had obtained plenty of priceless information, as well as coming to certain realizations on his own.

He always felt alone, but with the thoughts of these gods in his mind he did not really feel that alone after all. Perhaps that was what religious worship was really for. Some people sought understanding, some sought power, but perhaps the majority merely sought companionship, and the thought of a benign divine entity watching over him was a reassuring thought indeed.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Emblem on February 16th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Eridanus
Skills
    Rhetoric- 5 XP
    Philosophy- 5 XP
    Observation- 5 XP
Lores
    Location- Temple of All Gods
    Wysar- Partial
    Yahal- Partial
    Myri- Partial
    Discussions of Faith
    Book: History of Myri

Comments :
Very nice thread with a change of pace from your previous threads. I hope the skills and lores make sense, if not...PM me!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office