Bad Wolf (Paragon)

"Everywhere we go, two words, following us: BLAIDD DRWG" -Doctor Who

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Eridanus on March 20th, 2012, 6:32 am

Eridanus could have destroyed the man right there where he stood. Yet, he held back a little for curiosity's sake. It was a little personal quirk of him wanting to see just what that man was capable of. Whether he was as incompetent as his brother in combat, yet wanting to dive into the dangerous vocation of being a slaver guard.

A few times the man managed to pierce through his offensive thrusts, but everything was calculated; he allowed it only because of the defensive sword at the ready. The battle was beginning to bore him, and it was clear from the man's repetitive techniques and clumsy footwork that he was somewhat experienced in surviving a few battles, but he was most definitely not formally nor extensively trained or well-practiced.

As such, his mind and senses were alert, just like they were even before he entered the battle. He noticed the man pushing him back from the caravan, and he began to wonder warily about what kind of things the slavers were planning.

The wolf remained nonchalant.

The cautious swordsman heard a rustle in the trees behind him, and knowing that the wolf was still in the clearing the ethaefal's healthy paranoia kicked in. His instinct screaming at him not to face his back towards this unknown noise, he grunted as he suddenly lashed out with a powerful swing with his blade, forcing the slaver to either back down or face heavy damage.

At the same time, he sloped diagonally to the rear and side, executing a practiced compass-pace to turn his front to encompass the caravan, his opponent and the rustling noise in the woods.

His body remained ready to duck in the event of ranged weaponry or even magic, though he sincerely hoped that there would not be any of the latter. Fortunately, his passive sensitivities of djed manipulation was not activated yet, and that meant that so far no magic was being used.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Paragon on March 23rd, 2012, 1:53 am

Eridanus was an intuitive man, receptive of his surroundings, and thus the wolf had been drawn to him. His discipline in combat was unmatched, and yet he had so much more potential to grow.

He turned, so he could keep all three points of danger and motion in his eye line.

All the while, the slaver continued to come for him with his sword, attempting to swipe Eridanus' own sword aside, and stab inwards. He was fast, but perhaps his skill did not match up to the Ethaefal's.

The wolf knew this.

For the test came now. When the trees rustled again, and the low thwang of a crossbow erupted from the foliage.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Eridanus on March 23rd, 2012, 2:47 am

Steel clanged in the air, but Eridanus did not focus his energies fully on defeating his current opponent. The slaver's skills did not require the ethaefal to fully concentrate to keep up, and instead his attentions were divided equally onto the three points. His gut wrenched anxiously, and deep in his heart he knew that something might just happen. The only problem was that he did not know what.

There was a rustle in the trees again, and the unmistakable thwang of a crossbow bolt being released resounded in the air. He might have not be able to pick up the sound, but having spent quite some time using the crossbow back in Sunberth he had been able to identify the sound.

Fortunately, the crossbow was much further away in the clump of trees. Unfortunately, crossbow bolts had a general projectile speed of 130 miles per hour, which meant that immediately dodging upon hearing the sound of the release of the bolt was impossible barring paranormal reflexes combined with paranormal speed. The ethaefal was good, but not that good.

Instinctively he twisted his body to the side, launching himself further away from the slaver while hurling his body away from the straight line of sight between the clump of trees and himself, throwing himself in the direction such that his current opponent would be the obstacle that blocked the line of sight between him and the possible location of the hidden crossbow.

He had already launched himself upon seeing and hearing the rustle from the trees, and the bolt was only released a split-second after. He did not know whether his anticipation made a difference, for it was difficult to miss at such a distance with an easy-to-wield ranged weapon like the crossbow if the archer was in any way proficient with the weapon. He only hoped that the caution and anticipation he built in pre-empting such a move made the few split-seconds he bought in trying to escape was enough to at least escape with a glancing blow.

To ParagonThat's right, I did a little research to check out the statistics of such an event. Based on the information that I've given you, I'll let you decide if Eri gets hit square-on with the bolt, gets hit in maybe in the limbs, escapes with a glancing blow, or dodges completely.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Paragon on March 29th, 2012, 11:46 pm

The crossbow launched, the arrow rushing from the overgrowth like a dart of death. But the bowman had not expected such an opponent - one who was aware of his surroundings, focused and disciplined on the goings on in battle. Not just from his opponent, but in the background too.

The wolf watched, eyes flitting through the air.

There was one step in it. Eridanus had moved, and the arrow narrowly avoided thudding into the slaver himself. The Ethaefal's opponent turned to the trees, cursing.

"Petch! You nearly hit me you damned fool!"

The man growled, turning back round to defend himself against Eridanus' onslaught. A rumbling came from nearby, and Eridanus would turn to see the caravan lurching into motion.

Had the slaver been buying time for his brother's to escape with the slaves? Surely that would have been a suicidal action to take?

The wolf suddenly crouched, his hackles raised, before turning to Eridanus to speak. "Ethaefal, I've seen enough. Let's end this together."

He suddenly jumped, diving on the slaver that faced Eridanus, growling and threatening to bite at the man's neck. It was the moment the Ethaefal needed to move on the caravan before the slaves were carried away...
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Eridanus on March 30th, 2012, 2:19 am

The arrow whizzed by harmlessly as the ethaefal tumbled on the ground. As he quickly recovered his footing, he could hear his opponent swearing at the comrade who launched that crossbow bolt. Reorienting himself, he gripped his long swords again, dashing forward to clash with his opponent, not allowing him pause for thinking, planning or communication. Sadly, the man managed to remember in time that Eridanus was still alive, and he managed to barely parry the ethaefal's blows.

There was a lurch, and the caravan began moving. Slavers were amoral creatures, but even they had a code of honour when dealing with their kind. Surely this man was not trying to martyr himself for simple profit? Perhaps this whole situation went deeper than it was and was not just a simple commercial situation?

Regardess, the wolf suddenly deemed it time to help. Eridanus was already planning to somehow stop the caravan, and with the wolf's words it simpy made it more convenient for him. He had already been focusing on the djed strands within his body, and just when the wolf launched itself on his opponent he continued to redirect the flow of power in his astral body downwards to the muscles in his legs responsible for burst speed.

Bending his knees slightly, his thighs and hamstrings rippling with power borrowed from the rest of his body, Eridanus leaped in an explosion of motion, running at a high speed towards the caravan. The vehicle had only begun moving, which allowed Eridanus to keep up with it easily with his flux-enhanced speed. Running alongside it, he jumped further forward while spearing at the driver seat with one of his swords.

If the driver been aware of anything he would have dodged the thrust. Eridanus was not aiming to kill the driver, but to actually force the man to dodge, thus swerving the caravan and crashing it into the trees in the narrow passageway. The crowded clearing only allowed a forward motion, and any deviation from the path was bound to meet with the huge trees at the side.

With the caravan disabled thus he would be able to buy more time and prevent the slaves from being spirited away.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Paragon on April 6th, 2012, 6:16 pm

The wolf growled, his eyes burning with something fierce as he pinned down the slaver to the ground, hackles raised in a wicked manner, and tongue lolling with unsated hunger.

Eridanus began to accumulate Djed in his legs, intending to use his skill with Flux to rush to the caravan. He turned to the wolf momentarily, and though the beast was aware of his actions, it did not look up.

Then, catching up with the caravan, he began to stab through the drivers window, hoping to turn the caravan off the road, stopping it in its tracks.

Something was amiss however, something even the wolf had been oblivious too. As he stabbed, there was a shout inside, and for a brief moment, Eridanus would see the pallid face at the window. A Symenestra commandeered the vehicle. That was not unusual in its self, but the man's face was pained.

Emotions were emotions, opinions were opinions. One could not always judge, but the man's face was not that of a criminal. It was a plea, a plea to stop, a plea to the Ethaefal that he did not fully understand this situation.

The caravan slowed, coming to a halt, and Eridanus stopped, holding back so as not to kill the man.

There was a click, and the Symenestra climbed from the wooden door on the other side, walking round slowly, head bowed so slightly. He held his arms up a little, black nails shining in the moonlight.

"Please," the man said suddenly, his voice fast but rasping, "please stop. There are children in the back."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Eridanus on April 7th, 2012, 3:24 am

As Eridanus stabbed at the window a pallid face emerged, with an expression confusing enough to give the ethaefal pause. Something about the man's expression did not seem right, and in his experience that emotion was not apt. There was something amiss.

Regardless, the vehicle slowed down, and that was sufficient enough for Eridanus to stop poking his sword at the driver, jogging to a halt as he kept alongside the decelerating caravan as he brought the djed streams back up to their default positions in his body.

Surprisingly enough, a long limbed spider-like being emerged from the driver's seat, his head bowed submissively with his hands up in the universal gesture of surrender.

What in the...?

He gazed at the Symenestra as the man mentioned children. That did not really affect his judgement, for children and adults were all similar. What only mattered was the summation of deeds and intentions that made up the balance sheet of one's innocence. He was just as likely to execute a child who tortures others for pleasure as he would an adult with the same inclinations. He did know that they were slaves, and in his opinion all slaves regardless of age should have the same right of freedom.

Eridanus sneaked a glance at the wolf, throwing it a questioning gaze wordlessly, though he addressed his verbal question to the Symenestra. He no longer raise his blades, but kept them loosely grasped while pointing them to the ground to look as non-threatening as an ethaefal holding two long swords can be.

"You, explain yourself. Who are you, who are those men over there," He demanded and jerked his head at the thugs who attacked him, one of whom he killed accidentally. "What's this about slaves and children. Tell me everything."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Paragon on April 12th, 2012, 2:06 pm

"Alright," the symenestra said, face weary and haggard, "we are not slavers. This caravan is from Kalinor."

The man's eyes were drawn to the wolf, who had lessened his hold on the man he had pinned down. For he, the cobalt beast, now listened too.

"When a child is born from a symenestra woman, and another race, a half-breed is born. They are dependent, biologically similar to the symenestra, but as they grow older their skills do not develop in the same way."

The man looked down at the ground, black nails scratching on his arm awkwardly.

"They are scorned, Ethaefal. Perhaps you know what it is like to have curious eyes on you? Well imagine eyes of hate, and hands that push you away. In the caravan are children. The half-breeds I talked about. We're not slavers, though that is our facade. We're taking them to safety."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Eridanus on April 13th, 2012, 7:40 am

OOCthe plot twist is genius :D

Eridanus blinked. That was a response he had not expected at all. He was wary, and kept his grip on his blade, for it might be a ruse. Drawing djed to his eyes, he sought to analyze the symenestra's aura as the man droned on, trying to figure out the intention behind it. It did not always work, but if he could detect some sort of intention of deceit, or any shift in emotions he could verify the truth of the man's words.

ParagonI'll let you decide what kind of info Eri drew from this attempt with Master Observation and Competent Auristics.

"Why do you need to pass off such a facade then? Slavers have no honor amongst themselves, if that was what you seek for protection," Eridanus questioned.

Turning his head briefly to address the azure beast, he called out, "Wolf! What do you say of this?"

Certain emotions of uncertainty were beginning to brew, but the ethaefal kept his feelings in check. This was not the time for regret or anxiety; these can all come in later. Now was the time of rational decisions and logical deductions. It was the time of action.

Based on what he gathered now he would then decide his next course of action.

in other wordsWhat he learned from observing the man's mannerism (observation), anything he can draw from the arua such as intent (auristics), the sym's answer and the wolf's answer.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bad Wolf (Paragon)

Postby Paragon on April 17th, 2012, 9:12 pm

As Djed flowed into the Ethaefal's eyes as he studied the Symenestra who spoke to him, observing every wrinkle in that weary, time weathered face. The first thing he noticed was that the man's aura remained stable throughout. It did not waver as a liar's often did. And Eridanus began to soak up the feelings from the aura too. There was a sincerity there, radiant white, and ever present.

"No," the Symenestra replied, "you are right. But you miss one vital point. It is their infamy that keeps people away from them. No one is mad enough to go attack a slavers caravan in the middle of the wilderness." For a moment, life burned in this dark eyes, a spark beneath the obsidian. "Except you, evidently."

Eridanus turned to the wolf, to see what the beast would have to say, if anything.

But the creature was gone. The man it had been pinning down was climbing up off the floor, wiping slobber from his face, eyes more than a little cast with terror.

There would be no answer from the wolf.

For now, at least.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext