[Sanctuary] Sister's Who Are Not Really Sisters (Nhara/D'L)

Three Konti meet who were never really truely 'White Isle Women' and get to know each other and how special they are to be not among their sisters.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on February 29th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Timestamp: Late Winter, 511 AV
Purpose: Job Interview

Sometimes when the stress of being Sanctuary's Mistress got to her, Kavala fled to the courtyard arena and spent time drilling her stallions on how to be good warhorses. Her training techniques were simple really. Kavala empowered her stallions instead of beat them into submission like a great many trainers did. She played games with them, spending hours on the ground standing next to them doing what she called 'desensitizing'. It started with a simple stick with a rope attached to it. The stick was about five feet long, the rope another five. She'd spend hours rubbing them with the stick, flinging the rope over their backs, touching them everywhere with the stick, then finally riding around swinging the stick wildly everywhere, harmlessly bouncing it off their flanks, shoulders, rumps, anywhere and everywhere the stick could reach.

Later she'd drag canvas throws filled with noisy trash around the arena leaving the stallions on long leads so they could follow behind her dragging the noisy tarp. Most trainers would try and drag the tarp behind the horses, but the problem was horses didn't like being chased by big scary things. So instead Kavala dragged the traps and then let the horses follow behind the tarps because it looked to them, in their smallish brains, that they were chasing the tarp away and it was running from them thus eliminating the fear factor in the experience. Once they got to the point they ignored the trap hung with noise makers and trash, she'd slowly have them walk side by side it, then have it follow them as her and the stallions walked around the arena. Finally the tarp got hung off the stallions so everywhere they went the terrifying tarp went completely ignored. This was a great preparations for armor, anything really, the horses might be asked to do that was noisy.

She'd also acquired giant swim bladders from some of the fish the Akalak harvested. These things looked like huge leather balls, some large enough for a konti to stand in. They were inflated with air, sewn shut, and made a heck of a tough horse toy. Akalak boys routinely played with them which was what gave Kavala the idea. She taught the stallions not to be afraid of the balls and how to shoulder them around the arena, pin them against walls, and manipulate the way they rolled which was an excellent recurser towards crowd control which basically gave the horses the foundation to wade into a crowd and shove people where they wanted them to go without being afraid.

She hung frames tied with bright colorful cloth the horses had to get used to and eventually work their way underneath and around. She brought noisemakers in, and finally taught them how to interact with one another so they could manipulate another horse just as easily as they could a man on the ground. If a horse showed lack of interest, intelligence, or aptitude, Kavala put it on the sales list and didn't breed. Those that were the cleverest at Sanctuary's games ended up covering the most mares and siring the next generation of horses at the facility.

All in all it was hard work, but it was work she could do all winter even in the bitter cold, and it was where most visitors coming through the horse gate would find her.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nhara K'tari on February 29th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Nhara K’tari

Nhara let out a small laugh as she slowly trudged forward through the snow. The white powder crunched under her feet as she moved steadily along at a leisurely pace. A tender breeze swirled her soft white hair around her face, and forced her to brush it out of her eyes several times. The sun was up, but barely seen as it hid behind the clouds on this cool winter day. It seemed to be playing hide and seek with the clouds, showing up briefly, before disappearing again.

Today was a day of promise and possibilities. She felt so free, so… alive. She was out of her house, and was moving forward, which felt so good. She felt as if there were actual possibilities and hope for the future. It’s good to finally get out of my house, she mused to herself, And I almost feel slightly irritated at how I’ve been acting for the past few months. She knew mourning was needed, and even healthy. To processes ones emotions and feelings was vital to a healthy mind and lifestyle, but one could also take it too far and sink into depression and self mutilation. She had done just that. After her father had died she had down spiraled into a pit of self pity, loathing, fear, and hatred as she sought to grab the pieces of her life and bring them together.

She had no family anymore, her mother was long dead and someone she had never known. Her father had traveled constantly, always pulling her along with him to different places. She had always been the odd one out, her Father had been a human, and often the other humans only seemed to accept her because he was there. That had been one of the basic questions in the back of her mind since his death, “Where do I go? Who am I now? In what niche do I belong?”

She hated to admit it, but her identity, who she saw herself as had been wrapped up in her father. Her constant battle for his approval and worth had driven her to pick up philtering and she had become decent at it. But there had to be more to her then that! She longed to learn more about the magic she possessed, to learn about Projection and Remiancy. She wanted to learn more about her mother’s people… her people. She knew next to nothing about the Konti, and could barley even speak the language.

“I am going to discover who I am,” she whispered suddenly, almost fiercely, to herself. She wasn’t a human, she knew that. And without her Father she doubted she would have much of a place among the race. Not that all human’s were fearful, but she understood the hesitation some felt when dealing with a Konti. She didn’t see herself as a Konti either, she knew nothing of their culture and history, but she would learn, by the gods somehow she would learn.

And this was her first step. When she had found out the Kavala, the leader of the Sanctuary was a Konti she had almost turned down the job on the spot. But such fear was irrational, and this would be the first of many steps to learning and growing. Maybe Kavala could even help her, and teach her of her people. “If I get the job,” she quietly reminded herself. Who knew what the interview would be like?

Another small gust of wind sent snow swirling through the air, and Nhara reflexively pulled her hood further down over her face. She knew where the sanctuary was, thank the gods. Most people did, but she hated traveling in this weather. It made her feel so vulnerable out by herself. Thankfully the road was pretty easy to follow, even with all the snow.

She soon could see the building, or buildings that made up the Sanctuary. The gate was partially open she saw, and the two buildings on either side had small lights glowing from within. She knew she’d be more protected from the wind once she got inside that small courtyard, and hopefully she could find someone from there to help her out and direct her on where she needed to go. She picked up her pace, and minutes later slipped through the gate and into a courtyard with a couple of pens.

In one of them stood a Konti, her white hair cascade down her back in white waves that reminded Nhara of the Bluevein waterfall. The Konti was working with a horse, and Nhara paused for a moment to watch the woman, and to gather her thoughts. The instinct to hide was still there, something her father had ingrained in her from childhood. Avoid them, they are not to be trusted, he had always warned her. She had know idea where his fear had come from, but growing up she had learned the same fear. After all what child does not trust their father, and learn from him?

Taking a deep breath she moved into the courtyard and toward the lady. The light layer of snow inside was slightly slushy and the Konti must have heard her coming because of it. She turned and waved Nhara over with a warm smile. As Nhara approached she did a quick curtsy, which was rather hard to do in pants, I should have worn a dress or something more appropriate for an interview, she admonished herself. Then again she was used to pants, and they were more her style.

“Hello,” she offered with a slightly nervous smile. “My name is Nhara K’tari and I was sent from the employment office to enquire about a job as a Philter?”
Nhara K'tari
Player

Words: 8504
Joined roleplay: February 27th, 2012, 11:00 pm
Character sheet

Postby D'Lena on March 1st, 2012, 1:30 am

As D'Lena looked around, the world seemed pale. All around her were empty fields, probably once taken up by thriving vineyards and and blooming trees. But now a thick sheet of white snow covered the lands, stripping it of its pretty colors to leave it bare and gray. One might find the whole sight quite unsettling, but as the Konti's rhythmic footsteps fell on the paved rode, she could not help but feel a sense of peace. It may had been unusual, but she didn't question it. She found it was not very often she had gotten to be alone with her thoughts, just to think about what she had been thrown into. Ever since she had been brought to Riverfall she'd been stuck in a daze. It didn't seem like it was her who was moving her legs to walk, or speaking sentences to please the Undanas.

She didn't feel like herself. She was numb.

It was the day after she had just moved out of Godiva's, into the Pearl House. Other than having to move her belongings one place to the other, she hadn't been outside more then twice in the past ten days. Though, that didn't mean she was left alone. It seemed like everything she did was being studied and written down. Sometimes she just felt like screaming at them, to leave her alone, but she knows that would get her nowhere. If anything she'd be thrown in a cell like a common criminal. This day though, was better. The Undanas had ordered her to find employment at the Sanctuary. Being able to work with animals again was all she wanted, really. It was nice to have something to look forward to.

As she looked up again, the building was nearing, thankfully. The cold wind bit at her face, and started to seep into the warmth of her cloak. She pulled it tighter around herself and sighed, not so much of sadness, but unsureness as to what this place would bring to her.

Coming to the front of the building, she moved the gate aside, and entered, but not before reaching over to pull up her Undas up as far up her arm it could go, hidden underneath her cloak. She knew it was probably not lawful, but she did it where ever she went.

She soon as was in the building, she saw two women conversing the courtyard. She approached to only the fence, clearing her throat before speaking. "Hello? I am D'Lena." she opened the gate, coming closer to the women. "I was sent by the Undanas about becoming a healer."

D'Lena
Player

Words: 1350
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2012, 5:54 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on March 8th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Kavala halted the stallion and slipped down off his massive back. He wore no tack other than a yvas around his middle that looked almost like a human vaulting pad. She dusted off her hands, spoke softly to the horse and walked forward to greet the two Konti.

She offered first Kontanese and then Common. "Greetings. I'm Kavala. You're both here for jobs? We could use a philterer and a healer. Nhara, lovely name. May I ask your name, Nakivak?" Kavala asked, laying a hand on the big stallion's neck, letting him blow a little and dig into the dirt beside her. He looked aggressive but made no action to back up his countenance. After a few moments, he settled down and she turned, tugging the yvas and blanket off him, turning him loose in the arena to play.

The Konti studied first one woman and then the next, lingering on D'Lena's bracelet. "Are you under contract? It's not a problem if you are, we just need to schedule your work around other obligations." Kavala said, then smiled at Nhara. "We have a full philtering lab. i'll give you a tour of the facility, but first lets find a quiet place to talk... the Veranda will do. Come with me... have a seat. i'll pour some tea and then I want to hear all about your previous experience and why you want to work here." She asked. Heading for the horse gate, she lead the two women through it, around the side of the arena, tossing the yvas and blanket up on a rail as she did so, then leading them into what was a rather large covered porch that looked like the whole living area of Sanctuary.

She offered them seats at a large table, laid out bread and fruit, then poured tea. Settling down to the snacks, Kavala waited for either of them to tell her a bit about their history.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)