[Flashback] A Helping Hand (Blayze)

In a moment of carelessness, Etrius is attacked, but receives help from an unusual source.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Etrius on March 4th, 2012, 9:36 pm

4th of Summer 509AV

Well, he was here. That was something. Etrius walked down the busy street, carrying a heavy pack on his shoulder. The hot summer sun beat down on everything and waves of heat floated just above the stone street. It's way too hot. Even for Summer. Etrius had been sent here for a reason. The only problem was he had forgotten what that reason was. Was it to buy something? Probably, otherwise he wouldn't have brought the pack. But what was he supposed to buy. Etrius was hesitant to go back and ask his master what it was he was supposed to buy. It had taken days to get to the city and going back to ask would take even more time. Etrius sighed. He knew his master would not be angry, the old man would probably just consider the extra travel to be more training, but it would be such a hassle.

Etrius quickened his pace. Maybe if he saw it, he would remember exactly what it was he was looking for. He rubbed his eyes on his arm, trying to clear away the sweat, when he suddenly ran into something very big and very hard. WHAM! Hey! Watch it kid! He had run directly into the back of a big Akalak who did not look very pleased.

"Uh... S-Sorry!" Etrius stammered. The heat seemed to be affecting the moods of everyone unlucky enough to be caught outside. Etrius closed his eyes brought his hands up and contorted them into a symbol that his master had shown him. It was supposed to help clear the mind and calm the nerves.

"Alright, that's it! C'mere, you little shyke!" Etrius opened his eyes, surprised at the Akalak's sudden aggression. He looked down at his hands and noticed that he had done the symbol incorrectly and was now making a very rude gesture towards the angry Akalak. Etrius dropped his hands and began backing away, trying to retain the distance between himself and the advancing Akalak. It wasn't until he was shrouded in shadow and walls rose on either side of him did he notice where he was backing into.

"Hey, listen. I-I'm sorry! I didn't know what I was-" It was too late. The big Akalak would not hear any of it. He slammed Etrius into the wall, pinning him there, and brought up a fist to punch Etrius. Etrius gasped and lifted his arms to protect his face. This was the one day in two years that he had decided to take off his gauntlet and he was about to pay for it. The first blow landed. Etrius struck back, but his fist just bounced off the Akalak's chest. Another blow came, then another, then another. Head, chest, face, arms. He was getting beat up badly. Where were the knights when you needed them?

"When given two choices, always choose the harder path."
Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Words: 52307
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2011, 3:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Blayze on March 5th, 2012, 8:42 pm

It had been two seasons since Blayze had left Mura, and she still wasn't sure how she felt about it. Sure, she missed her sister and her grandmother, but she certainly didn't miss Mura. It'd always been too peaceful for her, too serene. Through her eyes, it was dull, lifeless. Syliras couldn't have been more different. It hummed with life, constantly moving, always on edge, like violent river rapids. Whereas the still waters of the White Isle were exactly that, still. Boring. It was hell for the outcast Konti. Or at least, it was, until she got to Nyka. Compared to the pious city of bigots, Syliras was as sunny as the summer sky.

She raised an eyebrow at the thought. "What am I? A poet? Eugh, I'm turning into my sister."

She ran a hand through her bangs, wiping the sheen of sweat from her forehead with the heel of her hand. The heat was getting ridiculous, and she was already regretting the two corsets and fur-lined leggings. What was she even doing walking around in the middle of the day? The question made her furrow her brow and push out her bottom lip in a pout. A growl sounded from her stomach and the corner of her mouth pulled up in a grin. So that was why she was wandering around like a lost pup. She glanced around, shrugged and turned a corner on gut instinct, beginning her search for something to sate her hunger.

It wasn't long after that she found herself outside a bakery, tilting her head left and right with indecision, debating with herself about the advantages and disadvantages of buying some treats. The argument ended when the smell of fresh bread wafted towards her as someone stepped out. She'd always had a bit of a sweet tooth. A few chimes and several mizas later, she was walking away from the bakery, wolfing down lumps of hot pastry, taking no care for manners.

She felt more content from then on, and walked simply because she wished to, not rushing, but taking her time as she explored the cobbled streets. The rhythm of her footsteps against the stone beneath set her scimitar bouncing against her leg with every step. She ignored the slight movements, much to preoccupied with the cherry pie in her hands. She felt a pang of regret when it was gone, and mulled over the idea of running back to buy another. But she cast the thought aside, turning down a side-street. It was the sound that alerted her, pricking her ears and pulling her head up in a quick bobbing motion as flaming green eyes glanced up in the direction of the noise's source. Her mind had already drawn a conclusion, but she hoped it was wrong.

She glided across the stone towards the corner of the wall next to the alley. She poked her head out, a free lock of snowy white hair falling down to hang next to her. She cursed under her breath, but felt anger roiling in the pit of her stomach. Human against Akalak, and a human youth at that. Human youth who was losing. She blinked, making no attempt to move forward. He couldn't have been any older than late teens, and ironically he could have passed for older than her.

Curse the everlasting youth of my kin. Ach, I'm gonna have to do something, aren't I?

She cast her eyes to the ground and slipped into a crouch, wrapping slim fingers around a fist-sized rock before straightening back up into a standing position. Stepping out from cover, she pulled her arm back before letting it fly, letting go of the lump of stone. It whistled through the air before colliding with the Akalak's shoulder. He paused mid-punch, head flicking round to turn a furious gaze on his attacker. His expression faltered slightly, but she wasn't surprised. At five foot three and being a Konti, she wasn't exactly what you'd call intimidating. Didn't stop her from trying her damnedest to be though.

Not trusting her Tukant, her brain reverted back into Kontinese and she offered a quick prayer to Avalis, praying he spoke the language of her sisters.

"Oi! Drop the boy you blue-arsed whore-spawn."

Apparently he did.

"Oh. Shyke."

Common, 'cause red's freakin' cool :P
Kontinese. Ew. Look how girly it is..
You really don't want to hear my failed attempts at Tukant xD
Blayze, refusing to eat chocolate covered bugs and stalking Tom Felton since 511AV :D
Blayze
I just have this urge to stab you in the face

Words: 17032
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2012, 7:02 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Etrius on March 6th, 2012, 12:26 am

The blows ceased. The hand holding Etrius down went away. Etrius had no idea what was about to happen to him. His eyes were closed and he had gritted his teeth. His arms were still raised in an attempt to protect his face. He was almost certain that the Akalak would pull out a blade and end him then and there. He slid down the wall and put his head on his knees. He was bleeding from his nose and he could feel that his lip had split. He could taste blood in his mouth and it was running into his eyes. He might have been crying as well.

Wait. Something was wrong. He was still alive. He lifted his head, making sure that the Akalak would see the hateful sneer on his face when their eyes met. To his surprise, the Akalak was gone, replaced only by a much shorter person. A girl, a Konti actually, who looked only about a year younger than Etrius. She looked down at him with a mix of worry and curiosity, perhaps a slight bit of hardened anger in there as well. If nothing else, she certainly was beautiful. Was he becoming delirious? He forced himself to his feet, slowly, painfully, shakily. He looked the short girl directly in the face. For some reason, his mouth was still frozen in his angry sneer.

"Th-... Thanks." His voice was barely above a whisper as he thanked the Konti. It was all he could get out before slumping backwards again, his legs unable to hold up his beaten body. Leaning against the wall, he spat, blood mixing in with his saliva. The edges of his vision were blurred. The Akalak had hit him hard and he wasn't sure if he could keep conscious long enough to get back to his tent. He was so absorbed in his own thoughts and pain that he almost forgot about the little Konti, only noticing he when he looked up. His mouth opened and closed, trying to say something, but he could not. He was simply at a loss for words.

Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Character sheet

Postby Blayze on March 6th, 2012, 9:14 pm

The Akalak responded to her words by releasing his hold on the youth. He walked passed her, holding her glare with flaming eyes. But she never dropped her gaze. She watched as he disappeared around her corner and wondered would that be the end of it. She'd been expecting he'd chase her halfway around Syliras for insulting him.

The Konti blinked, breath whooshing out of her in a sigh as she remembered to breathe. Well, that worked.

She turned her attention to the youth, who had slumped to the ground, head against his knees. Blayze tilted her head, blinking. Was it because of the fight, what with the blood matting it, or was his hair always like that? She shrugged, perhaps she could ask him later. She glanced around, how had he gotten himself into a fight with an Akalak anyway?

Hey genius! Here's an idea; ask him.

She returned her gaze to the slumped human, brow furrowed, a slight pout to her lips. He opened his eyes. She blinked, unsure of how to introduce herself. She didn't make a noise nor a movement as he shakily got to his feet. Anger was etched into the young mans face, mouth contorted into a sneer. Still she made no sound, simply looking up at him with large eyes, unaware of the obvious concern shining from their jade depths. Mentally, she cursed her height, or her lack of it. He had strangely coloured eyes. She blinked at his thanks. He lost his balance and she reached for him, but was too slow, milky-pale fingers closing around thin air. Alright maybe the whole 'pity-the-weak-punish-the-guilty' thing wasn't exactly something she should consider as a motto.

He looked up and tried to speak, but no sound came. She raised an eyebrow, then dropped into a crouch to look him in the eye.

"It's really no-", she rolled her eyes, sighing.

Idiot! She switched to Common, "It's really no big deal. It wasn't exactly a fair point, I have a bit of a problem with the strong praying on those of lesser strength." A breeze clawed at her bangs. "I think you need to go...somewhere. Home? A healer? I'm kinda new to this."

She reached a hand forward. "Blayzh'avi Crukanis. But if you ever call me that, I swear you'll regret it." She cracked a smile, "Blayze suits me just fine. Nice to meet you, mister..?"

Blayze, refusing to eat chocolate covered bugs and stalking Tom Felton since 511AV :D
Blayze

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Etrius on March 7th, 2012, 6:12 pm

A low growl escaped Etrius' lips at the Konti girl's comment. He did not like being called weak. He kept the thought to himself anyway and accepted her hand. "Etrius."
Pulling himself upright with her help, he was able to examine her a bit more closely. She certainly was shorter than him and had very long hair. Her pale skin felt cold to the touch, probably because of Etrius' adrenaline fueled blood still pumping. She had to be surprisingly strong to help someone of Etrius' size to his feet Her gleaming emerald green eyes pierced his own when he looked in them. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to regain his composure and calm his nerves.

"Yeah... Healer." Damn, why couldn't he speak? Surely he had not been beaten up that badly. With help form his savior, they began their trek towards the nearest healer. A few knights, noticing his condition ran up to offer help and question him but he brushed them off, telling then each time that he was fine. "I tripped" was the answer he would give them every time.

"I don't live here." he spoke suddenly. "I just got here. It took about a chime for me to get myself in that fight." He looked her over, noticing her odd style, winter wear, and weapons. "And you look like you aren't from around here either." He coughed, the taste of fresh blood appeared in the back of his throat once more.

Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Character sheet

Postby Blayze on March 7th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Blayze shut her mouth at the feral growl, moving back slightly. The offence he'd taken at her comment was readable on his face. How was it she managed to offend people even when she thought about her words? Petching humans and their pride. Her eyes burned with emerald fire and she galred at the ground, buttoning her mouth to contain the string of kontinese curses flying threw her head.

Alright, so maybe her mother had been right when she said she had anger issues.

She felt warm skin against her hand and pulled without thought. It wasn't until her newly made acquaintance was standing that she felt it. A slight tingling in the tips of her fingers that slowly spread up through her hands, as if she were submerging them in hot water. She shut her eyes, containing a shiver. With a small smile she welcomed the warmth as it fanned out across her skin, reaching her shoulders and sailing down her back and across her chest. She felt the constant tension coiled in her belly unwind by a few coils. She was confident that she could trust him, but not to the point of blindness. She'd learnt that lesson a short time ago.

The young Konti couldn't help but freeze any time a knight approached them, her stomach turning to ice. The knights caused her more fear than they should have, but after her time in Nyka she'd grown to fear most figures of authority.

Blayze listened to his words, though her eyes wandered off. "I'm from Mura. And travelling from Nyka to Syliras in the winter is unpleasant at best if one doesn't have suitable attire." She grimaced, her words sounded like gravel. It really wasn't the sort of voice one expected from a Konti.

She lowered her words to a near inaudibly hiss. "Curse it all! Petching voice, city, the lot of it!"

Blayze

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Etrius on March 8th, 2012, 8:39 pm

A small half smile spread across Etrius' face when Blayze looked down an muttered to herself in obvious embarrasment. To be honest, the voice that emerged from her mouth was not one he would expect from a Konti, but he still did not understand what she had to be embarrased about.

"I'm from Riverfall. I got sent on an errand here but I forgot what I was supposed to do. Just my luck, huh?" Etrius felt his strength slowly begin to return to him as he and his new aquaitence walked through the door to a healer's shop. The sleepy healer lazily turned his head to look at the newcomers and, noticing Etrius' condition, became alert and rushed up to the pair.

"You! What! What happened? Come in! Come in! The man pulled Etrius over to a table and sat him down, asking him the same question. Etrius used his standard answer that he had given every knight. The healer stared at him with a look of dissaproval, not believing his obvious lie. Etrius offered a further explaination for his condition.

"My hands were in my pockets."

Giving up on getting any more information out of him, the healer began his work. Etrius returned his gaze to Blayze. He was surprised that she had actually chosen to stay and see it through. He smiled at her, offering another silent thanks. His eyes were drawn to the weapons she was carrying and he wondered what she could possibly need them for. What did she do for a living. He decided that she could not be a bad person (she had helped him after all) but decided to keep the question to himself. He figured that this was one of those times when it was best to keep your mouth shut.

Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Character sheet

Postby Blayze on March 9th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Blayze wrapped her arms around herself, left hand pressed against her ribs, the right resting at the top of her back. Riverfall? That's near twice as far as Nyka! Her eyes widened slightly at the thought, newfound respect forming in her mind. The Konti stepped back a bit, allowing the healer to get to work. She dug the fingers of her right hand into creamy skin, prodding the sore muscles at the tops of her shoulders. The tiger hooks were heavier than they looked, and wearing them constantly was becoming a bit of a strain. But she was sure that eventually she'd get used to it. Eyes the colour of jade watched the healer as he bustled about the young human.

She caught Etrius' smile, the corner of her mouth pulling up in a smirk. She watched as the healer tended to his face, wiping away blood from his wounds. She made an effort to ignore the little voice in her head that noted he was rather attractive without all the blood on his face, feeling her skin flush pale pink. Rose petals on marble, her grandmother had said. That was the colour of her skin when she blushed.

You could just leave now and avoid further embarrassment. But you feel obliged to stay, don't you? You and that honour of yours. Who knows, maybe your sire was Akalak.

The thought was like a weed, worming it's way through her mind. She'd always reserved a bit of fear for the bright skinned warriors of Riverfall, which had mutated into resentment. Maybe it was their love of her sisters that did it, she wasn't quite sure, but whatever it was about them, it agitated her beyond belief. She pushed it to the back of her mind, pulling herself back to the present. Her gaze returned to Etrius, whose own was lighted curiously on the scimitar at her waist. The Konti lifted the hand from her ribs and raised it rest at the back of her neck, lacing the fingers through those of it's partner.

"It belonged to my grandfather. Human. Died long before I was born."

She gave no further explanation. The tiger hooks she had bought from a merchant in Nyka. The curved blades had intrigued her, and she'd always wanted to learn how to wield two blades as opposed to one. But he had no asked about them or the scimitar, so she had not been obliged to tell him anything. However she felt like sating some of his curiosity.

If he wants to know more, he can always ask.

Blayze

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Etrius on March 14th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Etrius winced as the healer put a stinging liquid on the wound above his eyebrow. He wondered, for a moment, why her pale skin had suddenly turned a light shade of pink. He had not asked any question, but Blayze had been able to interpret his gaze. She unexpectedly told him a little about the scimitar at her side but... he wanted to know more. Who was her grandfather? Why did she need it? What were the other swords at her back for? He had experienced enough of life to know that you needed a weapon almost everywhere you went, but why would you need more than one? He cringed. Perhaps he would change that rule to absolutely everywhere. His gauntlet would have been extremely helpful today. Against his better judgement, he decided to pursue one of the questions that had formed in his mind.

"Uh huh. What about the other ones? What are they for?" To Etrius, having more than one large weapon on you seemed cumbersome. The only weapon Etrius had ever needed was his gauntlet. Then again, it was a largely versatile weapon. It served as both armor and sword, covering his arm with both plated metal and a sharp, deadly blade.

I wonder if… No, it would be out of place for him to ask her to spar. He needed to leave as soon as he remembered what he was supposed to do and, besides, in his current state, Blayze would probably deem him too unfit.

Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Character sheet