Farewell, Fog (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Farewell, Fog (Open)

Postby Asha on April 3rd, 2012, 4:02 am

Asha watched in some confusion when the little wolf collapsed in some strange fit. What an odd little creature. Many creatures were acting odd lately so perhaps this one was ill as well. Asha gave a snort of laughter. Pathetic little wolf. Hardly worth a Jamoura’s attention. Asha felt uncomfortable with that thought. When had she started feeling others were beneath her attention? She knew these thoughts were wrong but she couldn’t help the urge that begged her to accept them. Her feelings were so foreign and yet so close to her soul and she had no idea how this had started happening to her. Logic was becoming a huge task.

“Best leave the bizarre creature be. Acting about as weird as anybody else.” She said solemnly as she looked at the human who had spoken. The human seemed as confused and frightened as the rest of them, all the creatures of the forest were like that now. It was a strange and uncomfortable time, and this encounter felt no different. Asha was a bit frightened too though she wouldn’t show it, just a somber frown on her broad black face.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Farewell, Fog (Open)

Postby Calla on April 3rd, 2012, 4:33 pm

One of Calla's ears tilted back toward the other Wolf as the pup quickly aimed to assert some sort of dominance over the Feline that had approached, showing off by baring teeth and issuing sharp words as her fur bristled. The older wolf pulled back the upper lip on the side of her muzzle that the younger was nearest, baring the teeth beneath and issuing a low growl. Her head tilted slightly in the pup's direction, further signalling that it was not the Cat she was giving the warning to. Calla was the elder of the two and certainly wasn't about to allow some foolish pup try to control the way the interactions were handled. And she certainly wasn't going to tolerate the other Wolf speaking as if the two had already formed a small pack, tossing around comments and thinly-veiled threats as if the both of them had consented to such things.

The Cat at least seemed to have had good intentions to accompany her approach. It was getting to be a constant worry that anyone attempting to interact with another individual might be doing so in an attempt to goad the other into a fight. Trying to keep the peace was becoming much more unusual, and to see someone aiming to uphold that kind of behavior was a nice change of pace. The pup, however, seemed to be determined to goad herself into a fight in either case. Calla personally had no real desire to fight just yet. At least not with the Feline. She wasn't feeling threatened by the young woman, nor was she particularly interested in posturing in a show of dominance to a creature that did not operate under the same natural rules of social interactions as a Wolf did. The younger Wolf, however, was another story.

Her tilted ear flicked forward and back again as her attention wavered between the two Kelvics, her head angling a fraction farther as the bipedal woman seemed about to say something else. Interest in those words was quickly lost, however, when a Jamoura lumbered onto the scene. The Spires was so saturated in the scent of the Jamoura that Calla hadn't even noticed the individual approaching until she was in sight, a fact that unnerved her quite a bit. She would have to be more careful, especially with so much aggression blossoming between individuals.

The words she spoke were clumsy and convoluted, but Calla knew just barely enough Jamourian to at least get the gist of what was being said. She had by that time gotten to her feet, though she'd ceased growling for the time being. She was wary of the large ape-woman, particularly after observing how quickly those of her kind had plummeted into unnatural aggression. She didn't seem all that aggressive herself, though. She was at least making an effort to communicate to the group. Perhaps she was just curious.

When the young she-wolf collapsed, Calla's head swung in her direction, her teeth bared and hackles raised in alarm. A collapse could be caused by any number of things. Hunger, injuries, exhaustion. However, the younger Kelvic hadn't previously shown any signs of fatigue and as such the sudden collapse made Calla wary. All that thrashing and snapping wasn't helping to put her mind at ease, either. This was not the kind of companion that she wanted tagging along with her on her sojourn to Sunberth. While the eagerness to fight could be useful if they were to run into monsters or those that did mean them harm, having her snap and growl at anyone and everyone that approached would only draw unwanted attention and endanger them both.

The bipedal woman drew the older Wolf's attention with her offer to help the younger up. She didn't think it was such a good idea. The little Wolf was far too unpredictable, whether from the fog of through her natural tendencies, and the older Kelvic was not willing to take the blame for her acquaintance were she to actually try to take the woman's hand off. She also didn't want it to potentially provoke the Jamoura. The large ape-woman could probably break Calla's back with one swing of her large arm, and that was not something she'd like to have to experience.

Her ear swiveled toward the Feline and back again and she gave a snort. She wasn't dismissing the woman, but she wasn't going to give her approval to approach such a volatile pup. Human flesh wouldn't stand up to those teeth as well as the fur she was already in, anyway. At least the Jamoura seemed to be on the same page Calla was. That was promising.

Hackles still raised and tail held high, Calla closed the distance she'd put between herself and the pup, careful that her paws would not get caught up in the gnashing teeth at ground level. She bared her teeth and a wicked growl ripped from her throat as she lowered her muzzle. Wolves tended to rely on posturing and ritual fighting to determine who the dominant individual in a pack was, but at this point in time she wasn't so sure that posturing would effectively capture the pup's attention and correct her behavior.

Sidling up to the younger Kelvic, one of Calla's anterior legs swung up and around the writhing body that lay on the ground, her paw planting on the earth on one side of the she-wolf's ribs. Her head lowered further as she aimed to clamp her maw onto the pup's scruff. She was hoping it would reach the Kelvic's base instinct to hold still when gripped there, as most pups' did. The steady pressure would prompt them to hold still so their mother or den babysitter could quickly and safely carry and relocate them. A lower warning growl was issued as she moved. She wasn't going to be the one to encourage or hold responsibility over some overeager pup's aggressive behavior.
Last edited by Calla on April 26th, 2012, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calla
The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul

Words: 21243
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2012, 11:22 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Farewell, Fog (Open)

Postby Wings on April 7th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Wings panted heavily, trying to regain my stability. She eyed the Kelvic, her senses locking on the girl. The Jamoura, Wings guessed, hadn't made a move, but from this angle, she could hardly tell what it was doing. Only the two Kelvics remained in her sight.

Her mind was a whir of commotion. It throbbed much like a frog's throat. She tried to shift back into human form, hoping that she would have more strength, but nature wasn't on her side this time. A light flickered around her, and that was all. Her limbs remained furry.

Wings shot a quick glare at the cat. Stupid little cat. I'd like to.... Her thoughts returned to evil, menacing thoughts about the leopard Kelvic. Rage blinded her normal sense, no matter how hard she tried to block it. She took a few deep breaths. She blinked her eyes and tried to calm down. The anger began to ebb away, like a pain from a wound.

She became lost in the current of anger and calmness.

Suddenly, a shadow loomed over her. She had no strength left, but a whimper managed to escape her parted jaws. Wings tried to submit to the seemingly larger figure, but her muscles wouldn't allow it. She felt the figure's muzzle bury into her neck near her scruff. This made her feel younger. It reminded her of her mother, her calm but strong-willed mother. She blinked thankfully at the figure, and her senses began to return.

Wolf-scent washed over her nose. It must be the other wolf. Unless another has come. Wings wasn't aqquainted with the other wolf's scent and probably never would be. She allowed the wolf to wrap her teeth around her scruff, curious as to what the wolf was attempting to do.

Thinking
Wolf
~Wings~
Wings
Player

Words: 4459
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2012, 4:41 am
Character sheet

Farewell, Fog (Open)

Postby Estr Bantque on April 9th, 2012, 3:28 pm

The single feline Kelvic narrowed her gaze on the younger wolf Kelvic, brows burrowing in curiousity, absent of any malice or condemnation. Watching as the elder wolf lifted the crazed pup to its paws, Estr noted the purely instinctual nature of this motion. Estr began to wonder whether or not it was merely her scent that drove this animal to such insanity, or if there were something more going on here, something she didn't yet understand. Perhaps it was for the same reason that she so desperately wanted a reason to revert to her leopard form despite the circumstances that these two wolves would not come out in their human ones, and perhaps all of this was the same reason for the brutality that had surrounded them all for the past few weeks. Perhaps the simple motion of one canine Kelvic picking another up by the scruff of their neck and the serenity with which the other received it was no reason to consider this almost outlandish idea, it was after all relatively normal for a person who was half animal to give in to such animalistic ways, but there was something in the manner of this interaction in its context that caused Estr to consider that perhaps there was in fact something more sinister at work in the Spires.

"It's a good thing at least you all seem to have your heads on straight," the Kelvic remarked upon seeing the success of the elder wolf's work, though it was directed to both the Jamoura and the Kelvic. Hers had been a poor idea, and she had known it when she suggested it. Masked beneath the niceties was apparently some desire to get into it with this young wolf who had made herself the antagonist in Estr’s mind. Of course, if her newest theory were correct, the blame could not lay squarely on the emotional Kelvic’s shoulders, nor on her own. Still, even this could not forgive the tension that had been building for fairly trivial reasons, and the young Kelvic could not help but mentally consider the best course of action should things get… out of hand. A transformation would be a necessity, as she was more practiced fighting wolves in that form, not to mention it would allow her more agility at a smaller size and greater protection in her other skin. The wolf seemed confident, perhaps too much so. Perhaps that could be used to…

No. Estr had approached this group as a cautionary voice, not as a catalyst to the violence she had been dodging the past few days. She couldn’t afford to even think that way it seemed, nor give in to the desire she so greatly had to take on her other form. If the seemingly calm wolf had so quickly become the aggressive one, she did not want to risk seeing what changes might take place in her. Focusing her attention on the youngest Kelvic, but addressing all three parties, she decided to try one last thing. ”Let me just clear one thing up,” Estr started, clearly but not in the least in a condescending or dominant manner, ”I’m not here to start trouble, but rather assure it does not occur where it is not necessary. It seems that’s what you all want as well, am I wrong? Now I can see my presence may be defeating the purpose considering the present dynamic… myself, I’ve always been a rather large fan of wolves and their lifestyles, but I know that most wouldn’t say the same of my kind, so I will have no trouble taking my leave if that’s what you all think best. I just have one question before I leave…” Now, turning more toward the Jamoura and elder Kelvic but again still addressing everyone, ”Does anyone here know what in the gods names has been going on with the residents here lately?”

Estr Bantque
Player

Words: 7348
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Character sheet

Farewell, Fog (Open)

Postby Asha on April 11th, 2012, 3:35 am

Asha titled her head as she witnessed the elder wolf attempt to calm the younger wolf. Her method seemed moderately effective which was pleasant, Asha didn’t realize until then that her muscles had been tight in anticipation of the younger wolf’s strange behavior. She forced herself to relax, there was nothing aggressive in the Kelvics’ behavior anymore. These days she was all too quick to respond to the slightest hint of threat and she had to remind herself to breathe deep and remain calm. Asha swung her head to focus on the human’s words and contemplated them a few moments.

“I’ve no clue what has been happening, though you are right enough that something is off. I’ve yet to hear an answer for it. I don’t think we will find it lurking about the forest floor here though. But I do agree with one thing you have said, I am not here to cause trouble either. I suggest we all find our way out the Spires, and escape whatever is troubling our people, though you are more than free to stay and fight for your life instead.” Asha spoke each word carefully, fighting to shape each into its Common sound in order to be sure that she got her meaning across to the others. Indeed the human had given words to the doubt in her heart, and was similar to what other whispers she had heard from chance meetings with other Spires residents. The fact that everyone was tense and emotional was no coincidence, something was up. But Asha did not want to linger here to see if the answer would meander by. She wanted to move, to explore the complexity before her. Perhaps the answer lied outside of the Spires, it was difficult to say. Asha gave a curt nod to the human and two wolves. Asha turned away from the group and forgot them immediately, lost in thought and indecision. She padded to a bloodwood not far away, and hauled her heavy body the long distance up the tree, her hands grasping a slugsuckle vine one after the other until she was no longer visible to the Kelvic group.
oocAsha exits stage right : )
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Farewell, Fog (Open)

Postby Calla on April 26th, 2012, 6:09 am

Calla kept her jaw locked around the scruff of the younger wolf and applying steady pressure, just enough to attempt the desired effect rather than to break the skin and draw blood. She was no enemy to those gathered in the small group just yet and she wasn't going to be the first to draw blood unnecessarily. Of course even on a good day she'd be more than willing to throw a punch or make use of her fangs should a fight break out, but at the current point in time things hadn't gotten that far just yet. She was trying to avoid a brawl, not start one.

The elder Wolf glanced over to the Cat when she spoke, but only when it seemed that the pup had calmed herself down and would no longer be dissolving into a rabid fit of some sort. Very slowly she loosened the muscles in her jaw, allowing the younger Kelvic's fur and flesh to slide away from her teeth and granting the shifter room to maneuver and breathe once again. She'd step in once more if she thought it was necessary, but the fit seemed to have abated and Calla wasn't quite patient enough to continue playing den mother to an uncooperative whelp.

While the feline Kelvic continued speaking in order to reinforce her intentions and her unwillingness to start trouble, Calla regained the space she'd previously held between herself and the other Wolf, watching and listening the whole while. One ear continued to swivel cautiously between the feline and the temperamental wolf while she proceeded to sit back on her haunches, her gaze reserved for the woman speaking. Her maw parted and her tongue lolled out to one side in a wolfish grin as the bipedal Kelvic continued to defend herself, giving indication that she was not at all put out by the woman's presence. The smell of Cat wasn't entirely pleasant, but she wasn't opposed to their company once in a while.

And then the question she'd been asking herself for days cropped up. Why was everyone so damn aggressive? What had changed in the Spires that could have possibly caused such things? Her tongue disappeared once more and her jaw closed, head falling into a tilt, a visible show of thinking. She really didn't know. The Jamoura apparently had just as much of an idea as she did, her opinion shared before suddenly deciding to make an exit.

Calla took the distraction of the retreating ape woman and the seemingly regained calm of the pup as a chance to attempt shifting back to her human shape. It would be much easier to speak to the bipedal woman that way and would be good for the Wolf anyhow. Shifting was becoming such a burden that she'd practically been living in her fur. Changing shape would hopefully get her back into the swing of alternating forms once more.

Distressingly, it took much more concentration and energy to accomplish her shift than it normally would have even on her worst days. But after a moment or two she did manage it, the wolf dissolving and a human woman taking its place. A shiver ran up her spine as the cold, foggy air wrapped around her naked body and took advantage of her exposed, furless skin. Now she remembered one reason why staying in her fur was such a good idea. The chilly air was not at all pleasant and prompted her to retrieve the white pelt from her pack in order to regain a little coverage to protect herself from the cold.

"I don't know why everyone's gotten so aggressive, either," she stated, crossing her arms over her chest as she spoke in order to give a little protection to the sensitive skin there. The pelt was large and cloak-like, but it didn't quite cover everything. At least the majority of her was a little warmer already. "I remember the big storm. I think maybe it upset others. No one was so feral before that storm. All this cold and fog doesn't help, either. People get cranky without the sun." She gave a sigh and her weight shifted to fall on one leg. It was exhausting having to watch her back all the time.

"I was thinking of leaving the City, actually. But now I don't know. If everyone in Spires has gone crazy, it's probably even worse in the Wilderness." The thought hadn't occurred to her before. In her anxiety and desire to escape the tense atmosphere of the City, she'd packed her things and descended to the forest floor without hesitation. Now, however, it didn't seem like the brightest idea.

OOCSorry for the wait! Been kinda hectic around here with end of semester school nonsense. I'll try to be more timely!
Calla
The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul

Words: 21243
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2012, 11:22 pm
Character sheet

Previous