True Colors (Lillis & Sam)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 15th, 2010, 10:22 pm

"She was," he said. "Wise, I mean. And no, she died about ten years ago."

He was schooled enough not to flinch, but he was eager to steer the questions away from his family. Eventually he would have to learn how not to bring up things that dead people had said forever ago, because then people were inclined to ask those questions he wished to avoid.

"Why did you leave home?"
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Lillis on April 16th, 2010, 3:56 am

"To meet my father's extended family in Riverfall," she said, and then ventured to go a little further. "I set out with my mother and sisters, but they were all slaughtered in front of me. It's a miracle I'm still alive, but in fact I'm quite hearty. Turns out, I'm rather resilient." She smiled at him through the brief retelling of her story -- repression was a powerful tool. "Terrible things happen to perfectly wonderful people," she said, very matter-of-fact, "and the cycle continues, on into infinity. Best thing to do?" Remove yourself from the system entirely. "Hope they'll have a better go of it next time 'round."
Lillis
Player

Words: 55149
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2010, 6:49 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 16th, 2010, 2:37 pm

He gaped at her for a moment, the way she just dropped her story, too similar to his own, out for him with such deadpan uncaring. As soon as he became aware of it, he shut his mouth with a click of teeth behind his mouth. There were no condolences; he knew exactly how little they helped. One couldn't plant condolences in a garden and reap reincarnated loved ones. Condolences couldn't erase the violence and the unutterable grief.

Instead he tried to mimic her, telling the truth while still repressing the greater whole of it.

"Mine too. Whole family. Ten years ago."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lillis on April 16th, 2010, 5:12 pm

All she wanted to do was to reach out and wrap him up in her arms and hold him. But the sudden surge of affection was precisely what kept her from doing so: she did not want the vision of his end to come to her. Instead she swallowed hard, gave a slow nod of her head, and said, "So then, you know."

She tucked a few locks of hair behind her ear, her fingertips brushing the Chevas mark hidden nearby. "Fortunately, we have the option of growing up, healing, and having families of our own." She thought, perhaps, she did not sound as optimistic as she'd hoped.
Lillis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 16th, 2010, 6:39 pm

"I... well, I suppose that's an option," he allowed, but he didn't sound too hopeful either. To his mind, he was shamed, damaged goods, and while he might not allow that to show on the surface, it was there, deep below the scar tissue that made his soul creak like an old man's bones.

Somehow he intuited her impulse, so he smiled for her benefit. He managed to be bright and sunny to compensate for an internal darkness that he didn't like to admit existed, let alone share.

"Some things don't heal."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lillis on April 17th, 2010, 11:14 pm

"Well they certainly never will if you keep picking at them." Lillis smiled, hoping vaguely that her rather caustic attitude was not something he found off-putting. It was not that she was unaffected -- indeed, she thought of her family often, mourned them daily, felt the potency of their absence -- nor was it that she was uncaring. She simply found bitterness too exhausting; she thought melancholia was dull and better served the bards; she had run out of people to hear her wailing. So she had resigned herself to humor -- good or dark as the case may be -- and levity, with the constant, quiet knowledge that she would do two things in this life: Find her husband and ensure that when she died she would never be reincarnated again.
Lillis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 18th, 2010, 5:52 am

He fell silent at that, eating and thinking. Bitterness wasn't what he would call himself. In reality, what he did best was repress the past in an effort to be cheerful about the present and the future.

Syliras was a dangerous place. Jaeden had guessed at his heritage, Doc had stolen his purse, and Lillis was now poking at old scar tissue. He wasn't sure how to proceed.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lillis on April 18th, 2010, 3:20 pm

"I'm sorry," she said at length, offering a sweet, chagrined smile. "It's none of my business -- I shouldn't talk like that."

She picked the last nut from the table and popped it into her mouth, offering to him what little remained of the wine. Lillis found it very difficult to hold her tongue, and, being what she was with the capacity to be herself and nothing more, once she finished chewing she said -- and it was neither snarky nor ill-intended -- "Pick away, if picking so pleases you."
Lillis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 18th, 2010, 11:19 pm

"Do you believe in premonitions?" he asked suddenly. "I mean, for normal people who can't tell the future." He didn't wait for her answer before explaining further. "I keep getting the feeling that I'm supposed to find something here, or something is going to find me. And it'll help me figure out what I'm supposed to do, where I'm supposed to go... Something's missing, but I think it might not be too far away."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lillis on April 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm

"I absolutely believe in premonitions," she responded, "for anyone. And if you have this feeling that something is here for you, trust that instinct." She smiled, standing briefly onto to sit back down again, her left leg tucked underneath her. "Instincts -- your gut, some people would say -- are highly developed, much more so than the psyche. Trust it. Trust it always."
Lillis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext