[Quest] What Lies Beneath... (Evalin, Rayage)

Two mages and a small band of the diverse delve into the wild Syliran depths...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Rayage on June 15th, 2012, 8:17 am

Before Ray could answer the other nuits question there would be an audible click, as the door unlocked itself. How odd. He has never seen a lock such as this, and angling it towards the door was only a guess. Interesting. He wondered what other puzzles and things this place had in store for him and Evalin. Though he didn’t have much time to pounder when in the doorway waited a shadowy figure. Hardly having any time to think or react he just observed it, trying to get as much detail out of it as he could. Humanoidish, thread-like appendages curling around it. Though the darkness hid most other detail.

In the blink of an eye it moved, it seemed. Fast, too fast. What was this thing? ”Eavlin,” he actually called the nuit by her name, ”Please, keep your distance from that thing.” he warned. Have they unsealed a monster that was purposely placed down here? Did it hold the knowledge which they were after? What was it? It looked dangerous, and he could feel its aura all the way across the room. Its power was immense.

Ray reached inside himself pulling from his Djed reserves as he looked at the creature, backing away from it slowly. ”What are you?” he asked, his words were laced with the poison of the djed which simply echoed the question into the beings subconscious mind. He wanted to know if it could talk, if it was intelligent, and if it could would it be reasoned with? His Djed seeped out of him with the echoing of the words, placing the spell firmly with intention, at the creature. Now he waited, looking at it as the thing looked at them, seemingly watching them. Was it waiting for them to go into the room? What was its intentions?

The nuit would be sure to put distance between himself and the thing, as words of Eva’s came to mind. She was right. Some doors were probably best unopened. Oh well, it was Fated to happen and if not by them then by some other saps. This would make things more interesting. ”Should we run?” he asked Evalin her opinion.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on June 18th, 2012, 5:44 am

What further words may have been spoken from those cold lips were paused as a great surprise overcame the immortal's senses. The resounding sound of a door unlocking pulled her gaze upon the sealed passage, and her tongue stilled as she gazed upon the... thing within.

Faster than breath, quicker than could be followed the creature moved, seeming to appear so suddenly within the chamber. She could not move, could not comprehend what had occurred, but then soft words from the immortal broke the spell of sudden surprise and that cloaked figure moved into action.

From those greyed lips echoed a hiss, "Hakin Shi, release!"

The first of the rings upon her left arm shimmered, and faded from existence, allowing the flow of res at her disposal to double. Moving back, Evalin positioned herself with the Sundial between her and the creature, her land hand coming up before her, djed stirring to life as she watched the creature warily.

It was... Strange. Evalin gazed into the darkness in which it dowelled, taking note of the strange tendrils that flew from its form. Her eyes graced over the man near her side before returning to the creature.

"No... what be the purpose of our running when it can move as such?" Evalin shook her head, slowly lowering her hand and straightening. The sudden shock of the moment was beginning to wear off, and her usual cold mind was calming once more, "We know not of its purpose..." her eyes strayed to the passage to the east, from which she could still hear the sounds of moving rubble. Looking to Rayage she spoke softly, "Let us not call upon those fools yet. This creature may very well be that which we have sought."

Turning her eyes once more to this strange being, Evalin tilted her head, leaning forward to look upon it from beneath her hood, "Be you of sentience, or be you truly a beast? Tell us... why be you here in a place such as this?"

As she spoke, Evalin felt a faint restlessness in the back of her mind, as if there was something important she should remember. The more she looked at this being, the more the feeling grew, Why then does my skin crawl when I look upon this thing... Its as if my own mind knows more than my conscious self...
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Paragon on June 18th, 2012, 12:49 pm

With curiosity comes danger. Intrepid explorers will more often than not come across something dark, something virulent. The Nuits were unsure of this sentient being, and what its purpose was. But perhaps when they saw its mouthless face they would begin to understand.

It moved again, into another patch of darkness, always staying partially hidden, but always watching. It studied them intensely. To those trained in auristics, it would be giving off a vast aura, unlike that of any civilised race.

This was a being of ruin. Not quite mortal, yet always seeking to understand. And through its mouthless guise it could not speak, only move and watch, and strike when it was ready.

The tentacle like filaments contracted and receding, slowing their writhing movement. It was still for another moment, eyes suddenly fixated firmly on Evalin.

Oh, what had they unleashed?
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Rayage on June 18th, 2012, 10:53 pm

The creature did not answer him. It just stared and kept to the shadows. He was glad that Evalin took his advice and moved herself away from the creature, putting the sundial between her and the thing. A moment of watching, observing, the nuit moved back towards Eva nodding at her advice. She said not to bother the Diverse. ”Evalin,” he said, ”Any idea what that creature is?” he asked, puzzled by its nature of staying in the shadows. The things swirling and withering around it seemed dangerous.

”You are right though, what is the purpose of running?” he grinned, ”It could catch us in an instant. For now, its not doing anything.” he said observing the thing, ”Lets press on. There could be something beyond the door.” with that Ray started to back away slowly, never taking his eyes off the thing. He wondered if it was going to follow them and just watch, or do something more sinister. One step after another, careful and calculated he moved. For what lies beyond this portal? There could be fragments of knowledge. This thing could be the gate guardian, overseeing the knowledges safety.

He followed Eva’s command, not bothering the Diverse. What slow creatures they were, not even noticing that something potentially dangerous. Who had they hired to ensure their safety? Fools! At least they were easy to control, or so-so based on the experience Evalin was having. Besides, they have a task, they need to clear away the rubble so that the four of them can pass through it. Though right now the mystery of what lies beyond the once sealed door is at hand. He would find out as he felt the doorway surround him, and closing in. He would soon be passing through, and only then would he turn around to see what was present.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Evalin on June 26th, 2012, 4:27 am

Then it was that, suddenly, a fragment, a sliver of thought slipped into place and all the pieces of an almost forgotten memory alighted within the girl's mind. Her eyes widened, and a quick hiss of an intake of breath was followed by a brief, yet sudden step back.

Be damned it all! It is one of them, those creatures known as Journeyman!

Blinking slowly, Eva forced her body to relax. Clenching her left hand around her staff as well, she looked to Rayage just as he was moving back. Cursing silently she whispered, "Ignorant fool, be you more wary! This creature... It is far more than a mere caged animal." Returning her gaze to the journeyman, Evalin called the swirl of consciousness to focus on what little knowledge she held on these creatures.

Creatures from another world... They are hunters in their very nature, and once a target is chosen survival is... near impossible. With a faint chill Evalin noted the creatures rapt attention upon her, but shaking her head she dismissed what missgivings she may have, Little have I to fear in this world... My soul lives on past the life of this vessel. Blinking slowly, she tilted her head, It is a creature born with a thirst for knowledge, and so it chooses its victims based on how much they interest them. The hunting process is slow and meticulous, the final slaying of the prey coming only after everything else has been learned--

There was a pause in this track of thought, and a glimmer of an idea began to swell within the cold mind of this nuit. A fait smile lit those lips, and her cracked teeth came into view, If this be so... then some time has yet to come before the final act, and if it finds me of not interest then... Her smile broadened, Then perhaps an opportunity shall arise for my own gain...

Yes... That was it. This creature, this journeyman would kill only once it had learned all that it thought it could from its prey, and yet, if the prey proved to be uninteresting it might leave it be, maybe choosing a different target for its studies. Eva's eyes flashed to the east tunnel where the Diverse were hard at work, and her smile faded slightly, Those fools could be more a liability than an asset... Need I must send them to their doom, or perhaps the creature will aid me in their extermination? She looked at the journeyman once more before shaking her head, What foolish notions. They are of no interest to me, let alone one such as this being before mine eyes.

Rapping her staff on the ground, Evalin spoke in a voice that rose just above a whisper, "Be you friend or be you foe... I know what you are, and what you might do. Have you the knowledge which I seek? She paused, not really expecting an answer, "Follow us if you wish, for we cannot stop you, yet hold off your final advance... and you may find something of greater interest where we tread."

Thus her words spoken, Evalin turned fully on the creature, leaving the decision of her life in its hands, however, she knew it would not kill her... or at least she suspected not.

It still knows nothing of me... knows not of my purpose, of my reactions, my relations with the man and certainly not my power... Her ghoulish grin returned in full, While I still hold mysteries for it, I am safe. My danger lies in the time when I hold no more secrets hidden from its gaze...

Her brisk steps carried her down the corridor, and with a rustling of cloaks Evalin brushed passed Rayage and ventured into the dark unknown of this new room, assuming the creature allowed her to come that far...
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on June 26th, 2012, 10:50 am

Rayage wanted to plough on, but Evalin made him pause. She recognised this.... this fragment. It was a journeyman, and it was clear as the creature watched her that her estimations were correct.

When she spoke out to it, it moved partially into the light. Dark, obsidian eyes glittered. Watching, always watching. It tilted its head in that curious fashion again. It was listening to the Nuit.

When she had finished speaking, it withdrew back into the darkness. For a moment, the Nuits stood still, wondering if it would launch itself at them, ready to kill. But it did not move - at least while they watched.

Perhaps it would follow and study them, for now.

The pair headed through the doorway the journeyman had come from, crossing the threshold into even greater darkness. When they moved their torches to shed some light on the new room, they would begin to make out what existed around them.

The walls were rusting, but of some sort of metal. When they stepped into the room, it moved slightly, as if it were a carriage of sorts. Machinations rose and spiralled above them, and the far wall held some sort of ancient control panel. Upon closer inspection they would see three glyphing rings, lined up with numbers alongside each, I, II, and III.

Above the glyphing rings was the number III marked in a larger style.

Behind, the journeyman had moved into a closer pool of darkness, still watching.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Rayage on June 26th, 2012, 8:13 pm

The nuit stopped as Evalin spoke. Far more than a caged animal? It seemed that the summoner knew more about what they are facing than he. Interesting. Her studies and abilities are already paying off. Pausing until the nuits speech was over, Ray was brushed aside by the cloak of his follower. She seemed to no longer fear it. No, that wasn’t it. She had realized how futile it was to try to run from this thing. Was it truly this powerful? If so, could it hold the secrets that the memosite promised? So interesting, indeed.

Stepping in the room behind her, ”So, my dear, what is that creature?” he asked knowing that she will take great amusement in the question coming from him. It wasn’t that the question itself was funny, it was the fact that it was coming from Rayage, a person who had so much knowledge, but yet lacked any information on this being that was before them. It would be funny, and if he saw amusement on Evalins lips, he would die a little inside. He didn’t want her to start thinking she knew more than him, no. That would be horrible because then his magic will start to break, and the hooks which he planted in her so long ago will begin to fade away and eventually become nothing. He couldn’t let that happen. It would be unacceptable.

Though as the fire lit up the room, banishing the shadows, he noticed that they are in a smaller room and metal walls surrounded them. To the back of the room was a control panel, and it was numbered. Rayage grinned, ”Oh, Eva my dear, look at what we have here.” he said pushing past her, but at the same time beckoning her to see for herself the ages old control panel, ”I wonder if it still works.” he said mostly talking to himself, ”I haven’t seen anything like this in… well, quite a while.” he said, visibly excited, ”This kind of technology is beyond your time Evalin, but back before the Valterrian machines like this were common. A quick way to get to one floor to another without walking the stairs.” he said, explaining what he thought the device was to her, ”And this,” he motioned to the control panel, ”Controls it all.” he announced his hands running over the panel. ”Course, it is the perfect mixture of magic and technology.” he said.

Noting the number III he smiled, there were three floors. ”Evalin, before we go on, should we go see the progress your brutes have made?” he asked turning away from the panel, resisting the urge to just press one of the ancient buttons, ”There might be more secrets on this floor yet.” he said, ”Though, there is also that.” he motioned to the monster in the shadows, ”Your call. Im sure we can come back when we have explored the other rooms, but it might be more efficient to explore one floor completely before moving onto the next.” he said moving his hands back to rest on the control panel, leaning on it, his hand accidentally hitting the middle button labeled II.

OOCEven nuits make mistakes sometimes. ;)

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Evalin on June 27th, 2012, 7:11 am

What irony, what most delicious success! The man, the one who spoke but never questioned, now wished to learn of Eva's knowledge? Oh the ecstasy, the pure joy and sinister pleasure that came from the man's lips... How it parted those lips, yet what might have been seen was hidden by the hood that was pulled lower.

"They are called... Journeyman, and very little is truly know about them." The turned to look into the pull of shadows where the creature watched, but her eyes lingered there for only a moment before gazing upon the man, "It is said they are born of a now dead god, fragments of his power given life and form. They are intelligent, and powerful beyond anything WE may handle." Leaning upon her staff, she looked at the creature with eyes that spoke of interest, and more than a little bit of curiosity, "They are powerful... hunters of knowledge and understanding, yet once they have learned all there is to know they then turn to learning all there is to know of them in death. In other words, once a journeyman chooses one as interesting, she...," she paused, her hand gripping the staff for just a moment, "They are far more than anything we have faced till this time, my dear immortal, and we may very well fall prey to its lust for understanding."

The turnings of thoughts filled Eva's mind as she looked deep into the shadows in which this being resided, Is it so... shall my days be ended by this being? She took but a moment to ponder this, but soon the flames of her passion burned such wonderings to ash, No... though I know not how it may be, I shall leave this place with that which I sought in hand. Some how... her eyes narrowed at the shadows, I shall conquer this creature.

The motion of her other caused those twisting thoughts to fade and Evalin's attention to return to the task at hand. Turnin gto follow Rayage with her eyes, she listened to what he spoke of these devices, "Be it so, my dear immortal? If so, then truly I grow jealous of your time spent so long ago during the midst of the wonders." Stepping closer, Evalin examined the markings while Rayage continued. With one finger she traced the large symbol above the rest, "Indeed," She withdrew her finger and nodded to the man, "Yes, let us check upon the beasts and mind their progress." She paused, and looked to the shadows a moment. A smile lit her lips, and she looked once more upon the immortal, "Mind not the figure in the shadows. While we are at its whim, it does little good to worry upon the happenings of what may and may not be."

Stepping back she turned with a flurry of cloak, and the sound of her staff upon the floor echoed in the closed space, just as Rayage's hand slipped and pressed the button.
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on June 29th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Rayage touched the glyph by accident, and so it was that the Nuit's fates were sealed.

He would immediately feel pulled to the wall, djed forcibly pulled from his body to flow through the glyph and power the mechanisms it was connected to. Rayage fell, crumpling to the floor as all the energy inside his body seeped out of him.

Evalin moved to him, but a large sound made her stop and turn. There was a whirring. Dark machinations began in earnest. The glyph glowed brightly, Rayage's djed coursing through it until it seemed to flower, spreading out, lines of power darting across small rivulets along the walls.

The door slammed shut, locking several times. The journeyman was left alone in the central room. For a moment, everything went silent. Evalin and Rayage would be forgiven for thinking whatever they had triggered had finished. But it was not to be.

The Nuits were thrown to one side as the room plummeted down. This was an ancient construction. An elevator that when powered by those inside its djed could move between three separate levels.

It thundered downwards for several heart-stopping moments, and then shunted to a stop, throwing them back the other way. Rayage felt lifeless and cold. It would take a long while for all the djed to replenish in his system.

The door swung open, revealing a cavern that glowed with a violet radiance. Whether they would leave the elevator, or try to press the glyphs again, was up to them...
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Rayage on July 1st, 2012, 9:02 am

The nuit nodded at Evalins words. It would be wise to check upon the progress of the beings, and investigate what all they have discovered for themselves. Though the words came a little too late from the other immortal, for Rays finger landed on a button ‘unwittingly’. It was there and then he felt something strange, his djed being drained from him. Not just a little, but most of it. It took him by surprise and made him gasp, but shock took over and he couldn’t make a sound afterwards. Lights moved about the room, powered by the nuit himself and the door slammed shut. Looking at Eva with a concerned look he was about to speak, but still couldn’t make a noise.

The elevator moved, throwing the nuit from the button and up against the ceiling of the vehicle descending into the depths of the forgotten place. With a thud he landed again on the ground, crumpled from the sudden loss of energy and force at which they were treated. He just lay there for a moment, contemplating what would be the best means of action. He had no idea. Finally a sound came from him as he placed a hand under him, struggling to get up. Hand going out, he fell to the ground again. Pathetic, he told himself. Grunting he tried again, staggering up, he leaned against the wall, ”My dear Immortal,” he said, his voice visibly shaken and worn, tired, ”that was quite a trip.” he grinned, thinking how pathetic he looked in front of the person he created. It sickened him, made him weaker.

”I don’t suppose we will be checking on those brutes for a while.” he said, ”We are separated from them.” he said hoping that he wouldn’t have to press any more buttons, and if it came down to that he would gladly let her take the initiative. The nuit was weak from the loss of Djed, if he were human he was sure he would have passed out, but no such luck. He was alive, and his movements were even slower and more labored then before, ”After you” he said as if trying to catch his breath motioning to the doors. He wondered what else could be down there, but he was in no shape to lead anymore.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)