Stitches In The Sun (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on April 19th, 2010, 4:57 am

Taithrosa looked with surprise at Kavala for a moment as she mentioned serving Rak'keli. "It is an honor to meet a servant of Rak'keli. I don't have many clear memories of my past life as an Akalak, but I do remember that I was a doctor, thought only a little of that knowledge remains." His silver eyes took on a distant look as he remembered briefly the first lessons he took. It was strange because the memory was clear one of the few. "I haven't meet any others of my kind but I suspect that there are others of my kind. So I don't know what others call us."

He nodded. "It is a pleasure to meet you Rauha." He said smiling. "I do believe that you are a blessing to the world as well. Even in this time of trials for the races of Mizahar, there are new miracles in the world. If you must we both are gifts from the gods to help the world in some unique way."

He would have continued but they were approached by a bear. His silver eyes looked at the creature as it groweled, and he felt his insticts begin to rise. He expected to hear a voice say something about tearing the teeth out of the creatures mouth, but it didn't come. He didn't let that distract him. He stood as to protect the women on the rocks. Then watched as the bear changed into a naked human male. His eyes narrowed more, he hadn't ever meet this race, but he had heard of magus who changed there shapes. He watched as Kalava threw the red cloth at man. He turned and watched the man to see if he made anymore agressive moves.
Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?
Or see the grand beginning, Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, Where Gods and matter end?
Me thinks the Spirit whispers, “No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains, Where nothing has a place.”
~ If You Could Hie To Kolob
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Words: 173686
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2010, 3:33 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on April 19th, 2010, 4:59 am

Taithrosa looked with surprise at Kavala for a moment as she mentioned serving Rak'keli. "It is an honor to meet a servant of Rak'keli. I don't have many clear memories of my past life as an Akalak, but I do remember that I was a doctor, thought only a little of that knowledge remains." His silver eyes took on a distant look as he remembered briefly the first lessons he took. It was strange because the memory was clear one of the few. "I haven't meet any others of my kind but I suspect that there are others of my kind. So I don't know what others call us."

He nodded. "It is a pleasure to meet you Rauha." He said smiling. "I do believe that you are a blessing to the world as well. Even in this time of trials for the races of Mizahar, there are new miracles in the world. If you must we both are gifts from the gods to help the world in some unique way."

He would have continued but they were approached by a bear. His silver eyes looked at the creature as it groweled, and he felt his insticts begin to rise. He expected to hear a voice say something about tearing the teeth out of the creatures mouth, but it didn't come. He didn't let that distract him. He stood as to protect the women on the rocks. Then watched as the bear changed into a naked human male. His eyes narrowed more, he hadn't ever meet this race, but he had heard of magus who changed there shapes. He watched as Kalava threw the red cloth at man. He turned and watched the man to see if he made anymore agressive moves.
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Raiha on April 21st, 2010, 3:34 am

She had started to unpack her cloth – figuring to start with plain cotton for herself. Her next project would be pink – but she’d rather get some practice and make sure she could do something relatively decent before abysmally ruining a skirt for Kavala. Besides, Raiha wouldn’t mind if it was a surprise, either, and that meant not doing it right now. As far as the Akontak was concerned, Kavala was as sharp as a tack. If you gave her the tiniest hints, you’d be surprised at what she could figure out. She nodded slightly at the mention of Rak’keli. Raiha had one mark from her, and hoped to eventually progress to two. But still, she figured, she had best learn how to use her hands in medicine besides relying solely on the power of Rak’keli’s favour.

Raiha looked up in alarm when Yakini came charging back down the beach, whinnying like a beast out of the Ukalas was on her tail. Apparently, that wasn’t too far off as the bear came charging. She debated her options. She hadn’t seen any cubs around, which meant it probably wasn’t a mother defending her cubs. They certainly didn’t give off any scent or aura of bears, which eliminated some aspects of territoriality. Rabies, disease? Maybe. She could risk it, trying to look closer, but to do so…

No. Not right now.

Why are you hesitating? Kanikra spoke sharply. Get out your suvai. If you get lucky, you’ll manage a vital area. There are three of you here! I told you to look into Reimancy, not Auristics, but oh no, you had to do it this way… She ignored her black twin for the time being as she faced the bear, both of her suvai in her hands, her knuckles white under her blue skin. If she hadn’t held them, she would have clapped a hand to her face when the bear revealed himself, figuratively and literally, to be a Kelvic. A certain Kelvic she hadn’t seen in a while.

“I’m so sorry,” Raiha told the other two as she put her bladed weapons back in the sheaths of her belt as she left the rocks, scooping up Kavala’s crimson blanket. “What is wrong with you?” she scolded him quietly when she got there, dropping the blanket on his lap. “That was completely unnecessary. This is Riverfall. Akalak make fierce fighters, bear though you may be, and you don’t know what Kavala could have done. Put that on. I have your bag with me, where I’m staying.” She offered him a hand up before turning to face the others. “This is Asim." she told the others. "I apologize for his behaviour.”
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on April 23rd, 2010, 6:45 pm

NoteI'm not sure if Asim is going to keep posting.. no one seems to have seen him. We can fit him back in if he does pop back into existence. I don't want the thread to come to a screaming halt though... I'm too interested in getting to know Taith even though I understand he wont' be around Riverfall very long. :(

Kavala studied Taith with renewed interest. He was full of surprises, it seemed. "That's too bad you remember so little. I would have really liked to compare notes and talk medicine with you. We both live in a facility that is a healing clinic for animals and kelvics as well as a boarding stable. It's always good to hear new ways, and different techniques.. especially for medicine." She said, glancing at Raiha. "Raiha is also a healer, and deals with a lot of raptors as a specialty." She added, smiling at her Akontak friend.

"Do you remember, Taith, much of what happened to you? You said you fell, but I've never heard of such a thing.. though I do remember stories of a race called the Ethaefal in Drykas... they were beloved of Syna and Leth, though I don't really understand what they were. You sound similar. My clan, The Sapphires, fished one out of the sea while they were on the east coast trading for pearls. But so much of it seemed fantastical." She added, shifting slightly.

Kavala ignored the bear for now, noting he was studying Raiha and not in a threatening manner. Raiha had warned her that a kelvic might be joining them... she just didn't say when or that he was so... rough around the edges in terms of his manners.

While she was waiting for Taiths response, she moved her hoop, changed to a complimenting shade of blue pearl string, and started working on a braid stitch to outline the knotwork she'd already filled in with the sleeve. She carefully consulted her little instruction book, then began.

Braid Stitch :
Start by bringing your thread to the front on the bottom line. Then make a loop like this (first loop the thread to the left, then flip the loop over from right to left). This is an awkward motion and didn't come automatically to me for some time.

Holding the loop with your thumb (not shown in photo), take a long vertical stitch from the top line to the bottom. Keep the threads out of the way exactly as shown.

Now loop the working thread from right to left under the tip of the needle.

Pull the loop tightly around the needle.

Pull the thread through with a downward motion, holding the loop down lightly with your thumb. Be a little careful here to not pull too tightly. There's nothing holding the top loop, it's just lying alongside that top thread. If you pull too much it makes a real mess (trust me on this one).

Make a second loop like you did in the first step.

Again insert the needle through the loop, making a stitch from the top to the bottom line. Loop the thread under the needle as you did before. Pull the thread through to complete the second stitch.

Continue working until you reach the end of your line.

Kavala carefully looked at the instructions, took up her needle, and began making the complex loops that ended in such a fine neat twist that highlighted her knotwork perfectly. It was a time consuming stitch that required counting and carefully keeping the thread at one tension without pulling too much or making it too loose, but the result was fairly fantastic. She did mess up a time or two and had to pull the thread back out, rethread the needle, and begin again past the mistake in her work. But Kavala didn't mind. The Embroidery was so relaxing.... and she kept glancing at both Taith and Raiha every few stitches to let them know she absolutely was paying attention to them.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Asim on April 23rd, 2010, 8:25 pm

NoteSorry about that. Computer kept dying on me. Had to get it looked at.

"Leaving me behind was unnecessary as well, but you did," replied the Kelvic as he stared at Raiha. He pulled the red piece of cloth up and around his shoulders, to act as a closed cape as he stood, brushing aside Raiha's hand. If the Konti and the Akalak had problems with the way he dressed, or didn't, as it were, he wouldn't alienate them. Mostly because he wanted his bag back, and he didn't want to fight Raiha for it, if he chased away any of her "possible" friends.

As he stood, he scratched his chin. He wouldn't apologize for his entrance, but he did bow slightly to Kavala, in a show of thanks for the cloth he now wore. Hearing Raiha yell at, and apologize for, him, he lifted his lips in a snarl. "Don't need to apologize. They needed a good scare, if they're not alert enough to hear me. Same goes for you," he growled at her, so that the Konti and Akalak wouldn't hear him.
Asim
Thunderbear! HO!

Words: 22947
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on April 26th, 2010, 2:01 am

Taithrosa nodded his head. "I agree. I actually can be fairly frustrating, some were in there was a couple hundred years worth of information about medicine, but I can't remember it. Its like grabbing water with only you hands and watching it leak away through you hands. I have this vast memory, like a large lake, but I only get a sip ever now and then." He shrugged. "I have started trying to meditate to see what I could remember."

"That is excellent. I will need to see this place." He wondered what this animal hospital would be like. He paused, "What is a Kelvic?"

His turned his attention away from the commontion happening around the bear creature, guessing that Raiha would take care of the situation. His silver eyes turned upwards towards the clouds. "I do remember some of it. It is in my first real clear memory. I was in Leth sky meditating and poundering, something, that seems to have escaped me. I felt myself decesend out of the sky. My mind was active but then I felt the physical return as it were. Something I hadn't felt in a long time." He paused his silver eyes seeming lost in the memory. It wasn't a pleasent one.

"I landed in the Sea out there." He pointed to the south. "I remember swimming to the surface. Seeking breath and life. It wasn't till the next morning that I found shore south of Riverfall." He turned back to the Konti woman. "I suspect that I am one of these Ethaefals. I served as a servant, a choosen of Leth. I had completed my cycles, or so I had thought, but apparently Leth and fate had something different in mind." He smiled though. "I hope that I am worthy of what ever reasons I have been sent back."
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Raiha on April 27th, 2010, 4:53 am

"You didn't make it back to the boat," Raiha told him quietly, folding her arms as she looked at him. "I asked the captain to wait, I went looking for you, and I couldn't find you. You didn't hear me when I called, or you didn't answer me. I didn't want to leave you behind. You said you'd be nearby." She kept her voice quiet - she didn't need to disturb Taithrosa and Kavala, even as she wanted to devote more attention to what they were talking about - it sounded vastly interesting. But she didn't need the other two to hear the tiff.

So what if they hear? Assert yourself a little. Show them, and him, who is the boss here, why don't you? You're capable of it. We managed just fine without him. You're making new allies here. He's useful, but he's replaceable. What do I keep telling you? Take, want, have. If you wanted, you could go and get one of those big Akalak to keep around. He'd probably put you on a pedestal if you did it right. Why bother with this moody bastard? Kanikra reasoned. Of course he is a Kelvic, which you factor in, but he's expendable.

He is a friend. You don't want him around because he can knock you, us, flat on our backside when you start acting up. He gets it. You don't like it. Raiha retorted, her eyes beginning to take on that distant look that the Kelvic had become familiar with.

Sure he is. Look at how he treats you. Do friends treat each other that way? Kanikra scoffed. Please. Why lie to yourself?

That's just his way. He was improving...

You're rationalizing it, internalizing it, allowing it. What will it take for you to stand up for yourself? Do I have to do everything because you don't like to get your hands dirty?

Raiha blinked, bringing herself back to the outside as she looked up at Asim. "They don't need a scare. Anyone a mile away could hear you coming, and we did. You didn't startle anyone." The Akontak's gold eyes were narrowed. Raiha was as quiet as they came, usually, but this was enough. "How you act with me in private is one thing. But how you act in a group is another. I'm staying with and working for Kavala right now. I promised you would mind your manners if you wanted to stay," Raiha planted a hand on her hip. "Otherwise, I'll go get your bag and belongings, and pay for your passage back to Sylira. Those are your options. You can either stop the attitude and mind yourself as you should in civilized company, or we part ways. It's your call."

There was no Kanikra in it, despite the dark murmurs of approval that flitted through Raiha's mind - that was all Raiha, and Asim could tell she meant it.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on April 27th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Kavala looked thoughtful. "You know, that's just about the saddest thing as a healer I've heard in a while." The Konti said gently then reached out to rest a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I cannot imagine how hard that must be. I'd be so frustrated my teeth would fall out from clenching them and trying to remember. Meditation certainly would help though. I think relaxing about it too and letting them come back in their own time and way would be better than forcing it. Though, I'm sure its easier for me to say it that way when its not my memory that's gone." Kavala said, glancing up from her stitches and offering Taith a smile. She needed to move her hoop because the sleeve was almost finished. Unscrewing the pins, Kavala forced the wooden hoop apart, adjusted the fabric on it, and began again. Once she was done with the current section, she could start her chicken scratching fill-in.

"You know what might help is going to Mura on Konti Island and enrolling in some healing classes at the Opal Temple. I've studied there and with the refresher it might open a floodgate."
Kavala suggested softly. She was already bent back over the work, needle in hand, and working on her first cross stitch involving the chicken scratching..

Chicken Scratching (five stitches) :
Chicken scratch embroidery is a form of cross-stitch that is used to work designs into patterns that normally made them look like lace on checks. But it could be manipulated to be filler as well if the embroiderer was more free form in thier thinking. The technique uses five simple stitches—the cross-stitch, the double cross stitch, the straight running stitch, the whipped straight stitch, and the woven circle stitch. They were fairly easy to preform.

1. Cross Stitch
The cross stitch is probably the oldest and best known of the embroidery stitches. It's essentially two straight stitches worked on the diagonal with one placed crosswise over the top of the other. Cross stitch is done in a row, with the first half of the stitches worked in one direction and then completed on the way back across the row.

• To start, bring your thread up in the space between threads in your fabric. Count up a certain number of threads (I used four) then to the right the same number. Take your needle to the back and pull the thread through.
  • Come up again directly below where the last stitch ended. And down again diagonally at the same spacing as before.
  • Continue until you reach the end of the row.
  • Now, working backwards and using the holes from the first stitches as a guide for your needle, complete each cross and finish the row.

2. Double Cross Stitch
  • Work a cross stitch from corner to corner in one square of the gingham. If you're using the darker color for reverse chicken scratch (in this case, red), work in the white blocks.
  • Then work a straight cross stitch over this. Remember to do your cross stitches in the same order so all your threads go in the same direction.

3. Running Stitch
Used for outlining projects, the running stitch is a key component of most other decorative stitches. It has two aspects - flat and twisted. It can also be used for stem-like scrolls or geometric designs.

• Bring your thread to the front on the right hand side of the line to be stitched. I didn't draw a line because my fabric is linen and it's easy to use the holes in the weave as a guide. Take a small stitch, skimming your needle underneath the fabric along the line.
  • Pull your thread through, then take another stitch. Keep both the stitch length and the space in between the same each time. This is super easy when using linen—just count the same number of threads each time. At the end of the line weave your threads in at the back. And that's it.

4. Whipped running Stitch
This is the best way to add a second color to your work and to make a great looking braided line.
  • After you've completed a line of running stitch, change your thread color. Bring the thread to the front just below the center of the first stitch on the right hand side.
  • Take your needle from top to bottom under the second stitch, making sure that you don't split the thread or pierce the fabric.
  • Pull the thread through keeping the tension loose. Take the needle from top to bottom under the third stitch; pull through.
  • Continue to the end of the line and take your thread to the back under the center of the last stitch.

5. Woven Circle Stitch
This is the main design element in the pattern of four cross stitches to fill in the color.
  • Bring your needle up in the same hole as the running stitch. Slip the needle under the running stitches to form a circle.
  • Go around the circle a second time, then insert your needle in the same hole that you started from.

Together these form an amazingly beautiful almost lace-like patterning that can be used to fill in large areas already outlined.

Kavala had been keeping an eye on Raiha and the bear. Truth be told, she wasn't certain she agreed with the way Raiha spoke to the big guy. Kelvics weren't people and weren't expected to act like them. She wasn't surprised by Asim's behavior, but she was grateful he didn't appear to be very aggressive. The nod clinched it for her. As much as she liked Raiha, the girl was lecturing the bear when all Kavala could feel from the bear himself was frustration tinged with need.

"Raiha... go easy on him. Please... we're all fine. He did nothing wrong - he's just being a bear, which is what he is. Besides, all he just wants something from you... something that is frustrating him not to have."
The Konti said softly. She wasn't sure which twin was lecturing, but if it was the dark one, she needed to be careful.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Asim on April 29th, 2010, 2:19 am

Asim snapped his jaws open and shut several times as he glared at Raiha. Then he shot his head forward, so fast that it almost connected with hers. "Do not make promises for me when you know you can't keep them," he growled, his eyes flashing dangerously. "As you should also know, I refuse to be civilized. I'm an animal. Nothing more. Nothing less. A bear. I should be mindless, but some dumb mage changed that, now didn't he?" continued the Kelvic, a growl building in his throat.

Hearing the Konti defend him, the Kelvic turned his eyes on her. "I don't need you telling people what I do and don't need," he growled, his eyes now narrowed into slits. "And although it was polite of you to try to defend me, I don't need it. I'm a bear. We don't get emotions, we don't need them," he continued to state, before standing, dropping the cloth, shifting to his bear form, and turning to walk away.
Asim
Thunderbear! HO!

Words: 22947
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on April 29th, 2010, 3:38 am

Taithrosa didn't responded at first as his attention was turned towards bear creature. The etheafal didn't say anything he just watched the little tantrum the bear was having. He avoided trying to smile at the behavior. He wondered briefly about the mages that had changed this creature into a man.

His silver eyes just watched gentleness and wisdom, no view or opnions formed in his eyes. He just watched and waited until the conversation had passed, and then turned to Kavala. "I agree time should help to restore order and hopefully memories. I realized with in the first couple days when things didn't clear up that this would be a long term project. Some times though it is still frustrating when you can feel a memory just beyond reach. Their have been times when I wanted to grind my teeth." He smiled back at her. "But lets not wallow in my self pitty." He with a I should be happy face. "I would like to hear more about this center of healing you mentioned."

He glanced over at Raiha and the bear wondering if there conversation was done, and she would be joining them again. If so he would make room for her to join them again.
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext