[At Sea] Curse of the Kelvic (Hadrian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Ethan on March 31st, 2012, 10:03 pm

18th of Spring, 512 A.V.
at sea, just before midnight...

Ethan often found himself on deck at night. Too anxious or afraid to close his eyes for long. The nightmares had come back, worse than before. Storms and blood were all he dreamt about. Even sleeping as a Lammergeier did little. Despite his hatred for Grimm and all he stood for. Ethan regretted what he did. Loathed himself for abandoning his Master. A Carnal sin to any Kelvic. The dreams were a manifestation of that guilt. A subconscious reminder of his crimes.

The worst part was, Ethan knew it wasn't his fault. The Magics that created his kind were to blame. An innate instinct to obey and love his "Master". It was the work of Marcus Kelvic, that manipulative fuck. With Hadrian's help, perhaps he could reverse the magic. Freeing his people of this "influence". But until then, he would have to suffer. Battling the twisted instincts of his own mind.

Putting his hands together, he focused on the energy deep inside his soul. Slowly letting out a stream of Res through his palms. The dark Orange energy stretched out, making a thick cord. He kept the Res unformed and in a gel like state. Practicing Magic was the easiest way to detach himself from unwanted thoughts. Reimancy especially, he was still green to the art form and it demanded most of his attention.
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on April 2nd, 2012, 11:21 pm

For all his exhaustion, Hadrian had trouble sleeping. Perhaps he had gotten used to a warm body in his bed, and Kendall's hermitage in his own berth was getting to the young enchanter. Perhaps it was the growing responsibility for others: first Ethan, now Tiki and young Aurrealis. But for whatever the reason, he slept fitfully, and it did little to replenish the reserves he had spent in rebuilding Avanthal.

That was a joke. When they had left, it was not rebuilt; they were merely playing a losing game with keeping the Queen's tower frozen, and Hadrian could not stay while remaining himself. Overgiving would eventually take him and then where would they be?

He ghosted up to the deck on bare feet despite the coolness of the early spring air that far north. Perhaps a winter in Avanthal had inured him to moderate cold, but he only had the energy to pull on trousers and a shirt to guard against the sea air. The Call seared through his latent senses like a D-wire running high levels of djed, but he quickly recognized the familiar pattern of his student's weaving, similar to his own in small details, but wild and boisterous as Ethan's spirit.

Saying nothing, he walked closer, knowing Ethan would smell or hear him without even the need of his auristic sense. He leaned his elbows on the railing, eyes falling to the fathomless black below. After a time and without even looking, he quietly opined, "Focus the access points in the proximal phalanges of your index fingers. It has the strongest energetic node for this sort of work."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on April 8th, 2012, 10:23 am

At times, Ethan displayed masochistic tendencies. Training to the point of physical breakdown, just to get the flood of pain and adrenaline. Sticking around to be a part of Hadrian's complicated love life, hoping he might become a part of it. Chasing after Sondra and looking past her repeated refusals and threats of injury.

The greatest example of his love for pain, physical or emotional. Was his dedication to Magic. Nothing compared to the pain Magic inflicted upon its user. It didn't burn your flesh or splinter bones. It drained the very life out of you. Pieces of your soul poured from your heart, down your arms, through your wrists and then out your palms. Into the open air, never to return. It was a sickening feeling, loosing blood couldn't even compare. But it was in that pain, he found the will to continue. It was a test of his strength, and determination. How much could he endure before he stopped? It was invigorating and his biggest threat to Overgiving.

Hadrian walked on deck. The slight change in his peripheral was noticed instantly. His familiar shape recognized without hesitation. Ethan's vision was his greatest weapon but it came with a price. Bright days burned his eyes and he was often forced to squint even during night time. After a long day his eyes became sore. Often loosing focus for chimes at a time, causing him to stumble about. It made concentrating difficult as well. When every little movement triggered your instincts, your mind needed to be adamant to keep a straight thought.

When Hadrian finally spoke, Ethan smiled. "I do love it when you talk dirty to me." In response to his Teachers advice. He splintered the cord of gel into five different threads, connecting each fingertip to its opposite. True to his word, he could feel the drain on his chest lessening. With that he was able to increase the outflow and strengthen each thread into a cord of their own. Hadrian's instruction was invaluable to Ethan. His own magical talents were meager but impressive for the short amount of time he had been learning. Hadrian truly was the best there was.

"What brings you on bored, Teacher? Shouldn't Kendall be pleasuring you?" If I were her, you wouldn't have the energy to get out of bed.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on April 13th, 2012, 8:19 pm

"I don't know," he said darkly, or perhaps it was just the soul-deep weariness. Hadrian was highly self-aware, and so he managed to usually skirt the edges of overgiving, always gently pushing his limits, without doing irreparable damage, but the work in Avanthal had been draining, skirting far too close to the edge for his liking, a constant period of time spent on the wrong side of that edge, even. Recovery was slow, and something was different with Kendall, who had become the quiet, secretive, and reclusive one somehow. It didn't seem right to hypnotize answers out of him, no matter how much Hadrian wanted to know.

"I think he's sleeping," he supplied, more interested now in the efficient casting for Ethan's magic. Kelvics who actually used magic were rare, but Ethan seemed to be cultivating his practice in a manner that befit the Kelvic animal mind. They were not human, no matter how human they seemed in a human shape. He did not think this in any demeaning sort of fashion, but a correct categorization. Ethan's comfort and feelings were important to Hadrian, no matter what his race.

"I just couldn't sleep." Perhaps he had grown used to falling asleep with Kendall's feverishly warm body beside him. Now Kendall had his own berth and Hadrian slept in the hammock while Tiki curled up in his panther form around Aurrealis on the bed. Ethan had his perch, and Hadrian was supposed to hang in his little cocoon by himself. Like some bat. He slept a great deal, and perhaps that was the problem. His body was repairing itself, strengthening itself with food and rest to support the production of new djed, the healing of channels, the gradual refilling of reserves.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on May 5th, 2012, 8:07 am

Ethan winced at Hadrian's curt responses. He strove for the respect and approval of his teacher, but always skittered between witty and arrogant. Sometimes Hadrian didn't see eye to eye with his humor. The resulting silence was always uneasy.

"I'll keep you company, then. I don't sleep well either so it's a perfect match." He said smiling, trying to bring some life into the conversation. Ethan disentangled the Res from his fingertips and formed it into a ball on the center of his palm. Scooting down the rail to sit closer to Hadrian, he began to speak.

"I've been meaning to ask you, but since we have been so busy I haven't gotten the chance. Why are we going to Zelvita? I mean... It makes sense and I remembering you mentioning something before. But you didn't go into detail. Is there something in Zelvita we're looking for?"

He paused, not wanting to speak the words, lest they come true "Or has Kendall decided to go back home?" To his knowledge her family still rejected her. Not willing to accept her twisted fate. But things could have changed. She could be willing to stay there and try to convince them. This storm was a close call for everyone. Feeling Death's decaying breath against your neck can change a person. Perhaps she has grown to dislike the adventures this life entailed?
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on May 9th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Hadrian himself didn't mean to make things awkward; indeed, he felt quite at home with Ethan, whose antics either amused him or just didn't penetrate the shell of his concentration when he was focused on other matters. Truth be told, he was attached to the skinny fellow, not that he pined for his presence when Ethan was flying messages to Syliras, but a part of him wished the headstrong Kelvic would bond with him so Hadrian could rest assured in the knowledge that he was going to stick around. There was, of course, a beauty in waking up each day to find that Ethan was still there no matter there was no magical bond, but he thought there might be some benefits to the both of them... But that was a discussion for another time, and he would not pressure the skittish bird.

He sat against a wooden spar and was happy to have Ethan sit next to him. He put his bare feet up against the railing where Ethan was sitting, his ankle flush against the Kelvic's thigh. It was only a little physical contact, but it was enough. Hadrian wasn't a touchy-feely sort, but there were times. He shivered in the cold air, but he frequently ignored the weather his shirt and trousers barely enough to keep the edge of it away.

"You are a comfort, Ethan," he said quietly. It was rather a large admission for one whose emotions ran so far below the surface, and one likely to delight an attention-starved Kelvic.

"The storm knocked a block out of my memory and unlocked this." He held up his pale left hand, the back of which was now marked with a faintly glowing Lormar symbol, gnosis from Eyris the Wise herself. "I have a cottage in town back in Zeltiva, one I actually own. And... there is a secret there. A laboratory outside the city. We go there to make a home for a while. We might still travel, but it will be a base where we can leave important things, and be safe. And study.

"And I don't know Kendall's mind anymore. He... doesn't speak to me much anymore." This grieved him in a way he could not put to words, and perhaps Ethan would be one of the few who could read the subtle signs on his face.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on May 18th, 2012, 3:51 am

Ethan sat there, listening to each word carefully. He couldn't deny that his heart did not flutter at Hadrian's affectionate words. Nor could he deny that it sank harshly when he confirmed the deepening gap between Kendall and the group. But both things required delicate handling. He didn't want to be too forcful and scare off the skittish Mage.

"You are a comfort as well, Hadrian." He patted the exposed ankle warmly. It was a silly gesture, but small enough not to make things awkward. There was a long pause before Ethan spoke again. talking about Kendall was obviously too painful for the both of them. He wanted to know more about this secret lair but it didn't seem important at the moment. Hadrian had reasons for everything he did. This was just another reason behind an action. He wanted to talk about them for once. With Kendall falling away, it was more apparent that Hadrian needed a friend. Someone to take him away from it all.

"Will you be able to form into a bird by the time we hit Zelvita? When we departed Avanthal, I was chasing gulls and I thought how fun it would be to have a partner. It's good practice, chasing seagulls. Hawks are more direct when they fly. They're not used to being chased. But gulls are a lot quicker. Much harder to catch."
Last edited by Ethan on May 19th, 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on May 18th, 2012, 6:34 am

The affectionate touch of Ethan's hand felt fever-hot to him, made him realize how cold his bare feet were. He sighed at his own lack of good sense and hazarded putting his foot on Ethan's leg, perhaps wondering whether he would oblige him and share his heat. There was a tentativeness to it, as if he feared Ethan would laugh at him or react poorly, but perhaps there was a reason he was so awkward with people, with affection. Perhaps he wasn't an iceberg.

Then he finally answered Ethan's question.

"I haven't really tried anything since we left Avanthal. Well, since we found Aurrealis hiding in cargo, anyway. All that ice production tapped me out... But I think I could manage the full transformation. I'm just not sure where to put all the rest of me. I'll be a huge bird, weighing about what I weigh now. So I don't know that I can fly properly until I can reduce my weight. Well, I could bear myself up with Air or Flux djed into my wings to make them stronger, but until I'm fully recovered, I don't really have the resources for that.

"Why, did you want me to try?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Ethan on May 20th, 2012, 5:53 am

Ethan looked at the bare foot on his thigh. He resisted the urge to tease Hadrian about how big a step he was taking. And whether or not he was certain he wanted to take the leap. But now probably wasn't the time for such humor. Instead he repositioned the foot and slowly started massaging. He was a bit nervous at first. Taking a peek at Hadrian once in a while to gauge his reaction. Hoping this wasn't too forward. But after a while he relaxed. If the Mage got uncomfortable that was on him. After all, it was Hadrian making the advances, not Ethan. The Kelvic was simply reacting to the signals he was given.

"I thought it would be nice for the both of us to have a little fun together. We haven't hung out since before the storm. Perhaps we could pinch a bottle of wine? But I don't want you exerting yourself. We are out of the storm but I won't say we're safe until we're on dry land."

Ethan thought while he rubbed Hadrian's arch. There was a lot of tension but Ethan had felt worse. "When will you be able to shift your mass? At least shrink down to the size of a Pigeon or whatever you will be modeling? I have glanced at some of your text but it's a bit dreary to sift through." Hadrian had discussed Masters in the field. How they could shrink or grow a hundred times their size. But he didn't know where Hadrian was in his skill level. Sure he could morph his skin into feathers. But the real breakthroughs seemed to happen when shape and mass could be altered.
Ethan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadrian on May 20th, 2012, 6:15 am

There was a faint smile at Ethan's gentle touch like a plane of ice cracking, but if his eyes stung, it might have been the sea breeze and not some deep-rooted emotion. But he shifted a bit more, giving Ethan access to his foot and tucking the other up against and a little under Ethan's leg. The human foot was well designed, but the bones were slim and there was no fat to speak of, so they were easily chilled. Hadrian had high arches, such that might have had him pulled out of classes to be trained as a dancer had he lived back in the heyday of the Alahean Empire when high art still existed on a large scale.

He was quiet for a while, but then Ethan spoke.

"We could take a bottle of wine and climb up into the crow's nest," he suggested. "It would be like our own world." Sound would shatter on the wind, and they could huddle down, sharing warmth and wine, and stare up into the starry sky.

"I think it might be a while," he said glumly. "It's difficult to gauge. You just practice until you have a breakthrough, you know? Sort of how it was with the elements and reimancy. I think I'm closer to calling Fire than having much control over mass in Morphing. But I don't want to be a pigeon. I think I would always want to be a raptor, like you. I'll just have to be a big one for now. But I'd like to start trying a full-body morph. I want to fly with you. I've wanted to fly with you for so long..."

He sighed finally and stood up, but lest Ethan feel slighted that he pulled his foot away, he put both hands on his student's cheeks, dodged his beaky nose, and kissed him, lips catching the corner of Ethan's lips, but mostly his cheek.

"I love you, you know. C'mon. Let's go find the wine."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Next