[Winterflame Hold] The Matlians

Lariat // In which Sama'el seeks out Ragnor's family.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 7th, 2012, 9:50 pm

"Speaking" A voice thick with a northern accent spoke in common.

Behind Sama'el a a man stood, matching Sama'el for height and stature, though his skin was fair and his hair was dark as a raven's feathers. Had they been born in the same lands they might have been mistaken for brothers once.

Dadaryi wore a frown, his eyes color slipping into a dull grey as he studied the young man before him. Beside him a giant of a man shifted into view, smiling smugly, a massive great axe strapped across his back. His muscles rippled powerfully as he took a step between Sama'el and Dadaryi, effectively separating the watchman from the merchant.

"A little far north are you not Horse Lord?" Dadaryi added after looking over Sama'el, waving his bodyguard aside with a brief flick of his hand. "What brings you to my Hold?"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 8th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Sama'el took the men's measure with a studied gaze, not challenging, but respectful without losing any respect for himself. Dadaryi was tall for a Vantha, but his eyes told true. Sam had got used to being a giant among men here, though his body was lean with whipcord muscle roping around his long limbs. The mountainous man, surely he couldn't be Vantha, towered yet higher, solid in a way Sama'el would never be.

He smiled a little. This might be an awkward situation, but he would cross that bridge when he came to it. The man spoke politely, and so would Sama'el.

"I am Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan," he said, a formal sort of introduction. "I am here to pay a debt to a man. I seek his wife, Izurabelle Matlian and their children, to bring them back south. I understand there is some business to attend to before that is possible. The lady herself sent me here to speak with you."
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 13th, 2012, 2:02 am

"Didn't figure your kind servants. Where's Ragnor? He'd not sooner miss this." Dadaryi spoke idly scratching his chin.

Beside him his bodyguard shifted slightly, his arms crossing across his chest. The grim way he looked at Sama'el perpetrated an air of seriousness, contradicting his master's easy tone.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 13th, 2012, 5:12 am

"Not servants, no." Another Drykas might have bristled at the implication; certainly his people were proud. But Sama'el had lived eight years without dignity, without pride. Having had it, lost it, and regained it, it was quite possible he had a better perspective on such things than his brethren. "Favors for favors. We trade differently on the Sea of Grass.

"He remains at Riverfall. His work keeps him there. But we Drykas like to roam, even as far north as this. I had expected it to be colder." He frowned momentarily, wondering what had really happened, what that storm had been, after all.

"I'll be sure to send him your regards when next I see him, though." He smiled again and waited for business to ensue.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 15th, 2012, 1:30 pm

A frown creased Dadaryi's face at Sam's mention of Ragnor still being alive. It quickly faded though as he coughed exaggeratedly and held out his hand to Sama'el. "So hand it over, I haven't got all day"

HIs guards mood seemed to have soured as well, the imposing bear of a man looming closer to Sama'el with every step. There was no immediately threading movements from the man, but his stare was example enough. No kindness could be found in the man's eyes.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 15th, 2012, 11:49 pm

There was a certain sort of etiquette among the Drykas, and from that perspective, this Dadaryi was rather boorish, but he was an outlander so he just wasn't raised right, gods love him. In any case, Sama'el was unruffled by his behavior. His smile was genuine, because one had to love the people one came across, even the difficult ones. Adversity gave a man the opportunity to become more, to become better.

"I suppose there is some debt owed?" he asked. "She did not speak of it, only said to speak to you. I'm afraid you will have to tell me what you are owed."

It was only the truth, and while Kavala had given him some coin, the bulk of it had been lost with the Akalak they sent north first. It made Sam proud that he was close to accomplishing what someone else could not, but he didn't want to count his eggs until they had hatched. This whole trip had been rife with learning opportunities, many of them painful.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm

"700 gold rimmed mizas" Dadaryi lied with a sneer. Of course there was no balance to be owed after the strange tattooed akalak had paid him a visit but if Ragnor was stupid enough to send to messengers weighted with coin, he'd have no qualms about collecting what was owed twice. He wasn't sure what this one knew if anything about the man sent forth before, and even if he had knowledge he hoped it would be limited. If things turned violent, Qothe was there to protect him.

Impatiently, he sighed at the young drykas fixing him with a glare. A hot meal was waiting for him back at his hold and he was eager to get to it.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 20th, 2012, 4:00 am

There was no glare, really, though Sama'el gave Dadaryi a thoughtful look, rubbing his finger along the edge of his brow, highlighting the mark that Syna had left there, plain as day. The goddess of the sun, and of sight. He didn't exactly suspect foul play, but he was a stranger in a strange land and he came from a people of horse traders, so perhaps there was a hint of intuition in there somewhere. This was an old trick he remembered from his grandfather, the Ankal.

That the man had a bodyguard in a city whose peace was kept by goddess and great Kelvic bears meant he had likely upset a fair number of dangerous people. Sama'el had no great wish for violence, nor to draw the eye of the law -- that is, a goddess and her bears -- upon him and his. Yet he considered Dadaryi still.

"Seven hundred."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on June 27th, 2012, 8:52 pm

"Indeed, and if you mind, I'd see my hand filled presently" The man spoke, his foot tapping away impatiently. He wore the look of a man unused to not getting what he wanted when he wanted it. His expression was cold and uncompromising as a grim frown fixed itself on his ruddy features.

"Dadaryi you rat!" A feminine voice called from a ways behind Sama'el, and the man's look turned quickly into one of annoyance as he turned to gaze at Izurabelle standing just behind Sam, her company being two men of the Ice Watch. "Your brother Petrious spoke to me of our debt relieved by an odd skinned Akalak, yet here you are still grabbing for coins. Does greed know no peace in your heart?"

Dadaryi's expression soured, and pushing past Sama'el, he flicked his hand casually. "If the man does not spare the time to be informed he deserves to be parted from his coin" He scoffed before continuing past Izurabelle, ruffled at the whole affair. One guard parted from her side to ensure the man made it safely to his hold while the other stood vigilant over Izurabelle.

The woman hesitantly took a step towards Sama'el. "So you spoke the truth. My thanks for your bravery" She spoke softly with a bow.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 29th, 2012, 3:36 am

Sama'el was considering this sum, two hundred more than he had been given, when Izurabelle came to his rescue with her Ice Watch guards. He was glad to know that his flicker of intuition had not been wrong, the better to trust it in the future. He did wish Izurabelle had sent him into this negotiation with more knowledge, but perhaps he should have asked more pointed questions, or known that she would not trust him right away.

He was glad he did not have to fight Dadaryi and his hulking brute of a man on his own. His scimitar was quick, but shedding blood in a foreign city might draw down the wrath of Morwen, let alone her Ice Watch, and he was already cursed by a vengeful goddess.

I save the mother and her children, acting in the dead father's place, he prayed to Oriana. See me, O All-Mother. I work your will.

His face remained serene enough, not tempting for a fight. He bowed back to Izurabelle Matlian.

"You had no reason to trust me when you have been so mistreated, Lady. If you will put a little more trust in me and mine, we will see you back to your husband by Summer."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext