[Winterflame Hold] The Matlians

Lariat // In which Sama'el seeks out Ragnor's family.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 18th, 2012, 6:14 am

17th Spring, 512 A.V.

Sama'el and his band of Drykas had arrived the day before, but he had wanted them settled somewhere, a camp set up and running efficiently within the safety of the city limits, before he sought out Ragnor's family. The Everwinter City was not as he had imagined it, thawed and, well, in the full bloom of Spring, which was unnatural for Morwen's seat.

But the tents were pitched, the horses cared for, and Sam had even gone down to Mirror Lake to bathe the grit of travel from his skin, worked it out of his hair, re-braiding and trying to appear less the travel-stained ruffian and more a proper Drykas warrior. Izurabelle Matlian and her children would have to have confidence that he, an admittedly young Watchman, was who he claimed to be, came in the name of their lost Ragnor, and that he would be capable of taking them all the way to Riverfall to the Sanctuary that awaited them.

The peaked roofs of the Winterflame Hold looked like they would keep the weight of snow from crushing them, but there was no snow now. The goddess-queen's perspiring tower was the only edifice winking with ice, and it looked sickly at that.

The time had come. He knocked on the door.

"I come bearing a message for Izurabelle Matlian," he said in Common.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on April 19th, 2012, 12:28 am

Guest Mod Permissionhttp://www.mizahar.com/forums/post160117.html#p160117

Before Sam's eyes the door opened up, and a fair skinned woman with raven black hair a tangled mess appeared. "Of what sort?" She spoke rather timidly, her pulling at her woolen clothing as she spared a glance back over her shoulder. From within the house a chorus of voices could be heard, some irritated, others in pain as well as a barrage of smells from the holds busy kitchen's.

Before the bat of an eye a young boy was accosting the woman's leg, a child of barely five summers, and distracted the woman fussed at the boy and sent him away before she turned to face Sama'el again. "Apologies for my son, with all the problem's of late, an outsider offers a welcome diversion. By the way I am Izurabelle, how did you come by my name?"
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 21st, 2012, 5:48 am

His dark, almond-shaped eyes widened a bit at the boy and the realization that this woman was the one of which Ragnor had spoken, the aim of all his travels and travails. He bowed to her in a fashion more appropriate for Syliras, but then she was an outclansman, and Drykas forms of respect wouldn't translate.

"Well met, lady," he said, "and little man. Ragnor Matlian was left shipless in Riverfall, and sent me to... well, fetch you. To guard and guide you back to him. He would have come if he could, but he has been preparing a place for you. A sanctuary."

There was more to say, of course, but this must have hit her like a ton of bricks, and so he let his mouth close, let silence reign while she took in this news, his words, and put her world into a new order. He could fill in details like when he hoped to leave, how he would manage the Matlian clan logistically, when she was ready.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on April 30th, 2012, 6:12 pm

"You know Ragnor?" Izurabelle bristled at the spoken name, and promptly reached grabbed his arm, dragging him behind her as she headed deeper into the hold. The heat was almost oppressive inside, the roar of the cook fires, and men shouting amplified in the enclosed structure. She was heading away from those distractions though, Sama'el would soon come to realize as she stormed up the steps and further into the building until they arrived in an empty room, the raucous of the kitchen reduced to a mere hum.

As soon as they were both fully inside, she quickly shut the door behind them before slowly turning to Sama'el. "He's alive!? What happened? Where you out at sea with him?" Izurabelle breathed excitedly, sinking down to her knees as her whole body shook. It was simply too much to process in the moment.

"What sanctuary do you speak of, he has family, friends, and business here" She added after she'd taken a moment to calm down, and rise to her feet once more.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 3rd, 2012, 3:29 am

Sama'el hadn't quite expected that reaction, but it was warm outside and hot inside, and he was wearing his thin summer clothes in the Everwinter City, so strange things were not, somehow, strange at all. She dragged him into a smaller room, someplace private, and he nodded warily at her questions.

"I don't know his whole story, lady," he explained, "but I met him in Riverfall and we did travel together in Cyphrus before he told me about you and his children. He's settled in Riverfall and when his earlier attempts to reach you failed, he sent me." He stood up a little straighter. He was tall and strong, if not bulky with muscle, but he realized he still looked quite young for all that he was a man of the Watch, a web-weaver, and a damned fine horseman.

"He said you might be in some danger here, or under duress. I will help you out of it, and take you and your children safely to him. If you will come. And you should. This place is strange."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 3rd, 2012, 3:29 am

Sama'el hadn't quite expected that reaction, but it was warm outside and hot inside, and he was wearing his thin summer clothes in the Everwinter City, so strange things were not, somehow, strange at all. She dragged him into a smaller room, someplace private, and he nodded warily at her questions.

"I don't know his whole story, lady," he explained, "but I met him in Riverfall and we did travel together in Cyphrus before he told me about you and his children. He's settled in Riverfall and when his earlier attempts to reach you failed, he sent me." He stood up a little straighter. He was tall and strong, if not bulky with muscle, but he realized he still looked quite young for all that he was a man of the Watch, a web-weaver, and a damned fine horseman.

"He said you might be in some danger here, or under duress. I will help you out of it, and take you and your children safely to him. If you will come. And you should. This place is strange."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 13th, 2012, 10:55 pm

"Ah, yes. Theres a manner of debt to a man not known for his kindness. I'm afraid it's nothing you can solve without coin" Izurabelle spoke softly, and seemed to withdraw within herself as the shock of the news set in. She needed time to think, but that could wait as she desired to learn what more she could from this strange man about her long lost husband.

"To Riverfall? Do you think the children would be safe on such a journey. By all measures, traveling the breadth of land and sea between there and here is far too dangerous I fear" She ignored the comment of the land being strange for it was, and that was a story best told another time. For now her sole concern seemed to be Ragnor, and inquiring further of this strange man's purpose. It was not often she entertained visitors after all.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 13th, 2012, 11:59 pm

"I have coin," he assured her. "And swords and horses and healers and magic and knowledge of the route back to your husband. Take me to the one who holds your debt and I will take care of it. The sooner we leave, the sooner you'll be safe with your husband in a new home, and the same for your children."

His eyes and face were earnest as he spoke to her, attempting to seem competent and collected, just the man to trust to take her and her children to her husband. There was something wrong with his gut, but there had been since halfway up the continent from Karjin, and it was a discomfort he could deal with. If it didn't go away... well, he would deal with that when it came. For now he was going to man up and get the job done.

Of course, it hadn't occurred to him that she wouldn't want to come.

"I've made an oath to see you and yours safely to Ragnor. He had faith I could do it. I will speak to your debtor, and I will help you prepare for the journey. Tell me what I must do to earn your trust."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 28th, 2012, 10:10 pm

"It is not a matter of trust stranger. Ragnor always kept good company, and if you say he names you companion then that it good for me. This is just a lot to comprehend. I thought him lost, and plans have to be made. These are not common times, and one can not simply leave on a whim" Izurabelle started, bracing herself with her hand on the table as she spoke. "I need time. Go to the Whitevine Hold, the man who we owe is Dadaryi Whitevine. Come back here once you have seen him please"

The last few moments had been a torrent of emotions for her, full of renewed hope, guilt, regrets, and apprehension. She'd been through worse throughout the year though, and steading herself at last, she regained her composure and saw the man outside of the hold pointing him in the right direction before busying herself with the preparations she knew would be necessary as well as to make a decision on whether or not to follow this young man. In either case there was much to do.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 28th, 2012, 10:37 pm

He accepted her decree with good humor. After all, he could only imagine what she was going through now. He would react strangely if someone were to tell him one of his family remained and that they would take him to them. Nodding, he made to leave.

"As you say, lady."

When he had got directions, he made his way to the Whitevine Hold, this one arranged differently and made of a paler wood. He wondered what they looked like with proper snow and ice the way he had always imagined them. In any case, this errand was proving more complicated than anticipated. He thought it would all be easy once they reached Avanthal, but at least he was learning the layout of the place. People glanced strangely at his windmarks, the touch of Syna on his face, and whatever else, but he just smiled and kept walking.

A knock on the door of the Whitevine Hold. Let's try this again...

"Hello," he said in Common. "I am looking for Dadaryi Whitevine."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next