[At Sea] The Inbetween (Ethan)

A conversation etween kelvics, Ethan and Tiki, somewhere along the voyage to Mura from Avanthal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Tiki on June 18th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Ethan’s basic knowledge loomed over Tiki as some unfathomable. Arithmetic even, what a word was that? It all sounded fantastic, but it wasn’t necessarily Tiki’s cup of tea. It was nice to know Ethan could compete with the advanced minds of humans, and have a taste of the civilized world. He represented a different end of the kelvic spectrum. Tiki had indeed embraced his wild side though. He, although incomplete, was not lacking. It was all part of a process. When Tiki was ready, and felt he had found himself, when he couldn’t be a better him than he ever could be, then he’d be ready to find someone else to share his life with. For now, numbers didn’t mean too much to Tiki. Given time – oh precious time - maybe then Tiki could find the means to understand and appreciate things like math like Ethan, maybe even for Hadrian’s benefit. It was a distant feeling in Tiki’s heart, the wanting and wonderings of what-if he did find a home. The wizard’s extensions of kindness seemed to hold no bounds when it came to kelvics. Why was it that Hadrian was always on Tiki’s mind anymore?

What a philosophical question Ethan presented. Tiki’s mind, once drowned in all of Ethan’s knowledge, was now blown out of the water. Tiki felt himself turn away from Ethan absently. He found himself lost in this conversation, and Ethan was just embarrassing him. For his simple mind though, it was easy to slip away into the world. The ocean, even in its vast mystery that bothered Tiki, was soothing. The rocking never went away, and now resembled the rocking and swaying of a mother and her child all the more. Tiki’s lips were loose, stunned at the questions, struggling to find an answer inside.

“I don’t know,” Tiki answered. It was disappointing for Ethan most likely, frustrating even. What a waste of time it could be to spend air on this ignorant half to his kin? “I don’t know,” Tiki repeated and continued, with an air of cluelessness, “who I am?” He was asking himself even. Ethan had broken through. It wasn’t much, but Tiki had hope.

Tiki had been Tiki for all his life. Okay, we get it. Tiki had his behaviors, likes, dislikes, dreams, and so on, but it was never something to reflect on, it was always spontaneous. His affects for others were impulsive, and perhaps even reactive. Tiki’s ego in youth had adapted mildly to concern for others, but it led back to him somehow. Who Tiki was as others saw him was never explored beyond the what-ifs of praise or scorn they would bring Tiki.

Was it pathetic, or just a pathetic beginning? The big quests of kelvics were ready to be unearthed and answered to him, but he just didn’t understand. He was little more than an animal. Tiki wasn’t asking himself what Hadrian thought of him, or Ethan; what disappointments or faults they saw in his behavior. Instead, Tiki just felt the strain in his chest, his innards pulling together, some sign of sinking emotion. Tiki felt sadness. Petty of petty beginnings?

Had it been he never had such an attachment? The time he spent away from home was just a casting out. The cub leaves his mother’s den and goes to find his own spot in the world. There was part of the story, finding where one belongs, and then the adventures when you get there. He felt mild thanks for the family he had, but even now he couldn’t remember faces. He didn’t care to much either. These few people in his life, with whom he had spent brief memories of wonder, and intense traumas of fear, those people who had been with him, meant something. To think he had disappointed them was disheartening. Tiki couldn’t word it properly. His body spoke for him, as his head fell to look on the water and his eyes darkened. The solemn look at his face was something foreign. Ethan might be one to usher Tiki into a new world, but at what cost was unknown. As cliché as it was to say ignorance is bliss…wasn’t it?
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Words: 273835
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Valkyrie on August 14th, 2012, 3:04 am

Thread Award

Tiki :
Experience
1 Philosophy
1 Mathematics
2 Interrogation

Lore
Nagging Question: What is a Kelvic?
Mathematics: Counting to Twelve
Spectrum of Kelvics
The Frustrations of Philosophical Inquiry
Tiki is Tiki, Nothing Else

Other
N/A

Notes: This was a great thread between Tiki and Ethan, I really enjoyed the dialogue and interactions. I thought the dichotomy between Tiki and Ethan was interesting to see laid out and I was pleased that both of you seemed to jump on the introspective possibilities that offered. Great job.

Ethan :
Experience
3 Philosophy
1 Rhetoric
1 Teaching

Lore
The Kelvic Balance Between Animal and Human
The Simple Nature of Humans
Spectrum of Kelvics
Tiki’s Simplicity and Innocence

Other
N/A

Notes: I really enjoyed this thread and the interactions you both had. I thought Ethan’s attempts to teach Tiki about deeper matters was rather cute but I appreciated his observations surrounding the difference between the two’s natures along the Kelvic spectrum between animal and human. There were some really great insights in this thread I was very impressed with. Great job.

Please send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns. :)
VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Previous