[Valkyrie] Tidings from Valhalla

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Valkyrie on July 10th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Valkyrie’s Scrapbook

Well I decided to make a scrapbook. I’m not sure why. I guess I just felt that it was time to jump on that bandwagon. I decided to name this scrapbook Tidings from Valhalla because, well, it just seemed to fit the theme. I know in about a week I’m going to stare at the title in disgust and wonder wtf I was thinking. I always think of a really awesome way I should do something about two days after I finished doing it. Oh well. I’m stuck with the title now I guess I shall have to live with it. Or change it. Whatever. :) The above picture is titled 'The Ride of the Valkyrs' and was painted by John Charles Dollman. This is definitely one of my favorite works of art that involve valkyries so I wanted to show off some of the awesome mythological women I chose to name myself after. Also, you wouldn't believe how annoying it is to a find good picture of valkyries that isn't from a video game or over sexualized. Not impossible, mind you, just annoying.

To start things off, here are my basic stats in case you wondered or even remotely cared:

VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Valkyrie on July 11th, 2012, 3:07 pm

My Very First Rant

Well I’ve done my introduction scrap, I suppose it’s time to do my first rant scrap. And no, this is not Mizahar related so feel free to stop reading now if you don’t like to hear about peoples real lives or complaints in general.

It really, really bothers me when professional places do not call you back in the time frame they have specified. Particularly when you pay them extra to do so. My husband and I are looking for an apartment in a city 70 miles away, which is not an easy move to make. We found an apartment we really liked that is a nice place (perhaps too nice for us as I’m beginning to suspect) and applied for it. The normal application fee is $20 a person. Well that’s only if you are willing to wait until the next month to move in apparently. We want to move in sooner, like as soon as possible, so we were asked to instead pay $50 a person for a faster decision. They claimed we have an answer as to whether or not we could sign a lease within five business days which would have made the last day in that time frame last Friday, July 6th. Well it’s now Wednesday and guess what? Haven’t heard a thing.

I had gotten a call from a leasing agency asking for more information, etc last Thursday so I had pretty high hopes that we might actually hearr something. I called the leasing agency back on Monday and the woman I spoke to was pissed PISSED that I had dared to call them because apparently they don’t release that information call someone else you idiotic little girl. Well that was a confidence booster. Today I’m going to go through the all the paper work I was given and attempt to find the number of the owner or landlord and try them. But it’s just so god damn frustrating that I paid these people extra money to be given an answer in a very specific time frame and now I’ve got nothing to show for it except I’m out a hundred dollars.

It’s doesn’t help things that my mom is constantly asking me if we’ve found a place to live yet. We’re currently living with her while we transition between our previous college apartment and hopefully a new place to settle into for more than a year at a time. And I really appreciate her giving us a place to stay, I really do, but the extra pressure from her to get the hell out of her place really isn’t making this process any less stressful. Constantly hearing about how much extra money we are costing her in bills (but she won’t actually accept any money from us to help out when we’ve offered) just makes things shittier and is beginning to strain my husband and I’s relationship. All I want is a damn answer in the time I was promised one. No not promised one, signed a legal agreement to get one. That's even more binding to most people. My shiny new post-college job starts in that city July 31st and the idea of commuting 70 miles each way is less then appealing so the pressure to move out is only increasing. I don’t want to apply for another apartment until I hear back from this one. It’s just more money in application fees and driving costs. I just want an answer. Is that really such an unreasonable desire? And yes, I’m going to be proactive. I’m going to try and find someone to call today. I just wanted to write this rant because I am feeling pretty frustrated about it. Ugh. There. /end rant.

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on July 11th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I have never in my life had to pay an application fee in order for someone to tell me I can or can't move in. Is that an east coast thing? And if so, that's completely and utterly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'd be hopping mad too. Also, small claims costs almost nothing. When this is said and done I'd take them to small claims to get my money back since they violated their side of the contract.

Want me to call them for you? *grin* I love this kind of thing and can positively get you an answer... course it probably won't be the one you want. I'm the type of person (and I realize your 70 miles away so this doesn't help) that will threaten, and follow through, to stand outside a rental company with a sign stating they ripped me off - put one on my car - put out an add in the paper etc... until I get my money back just to be shut up. It's also great fodder (papers love this) for letters to the editor. If someone doesn't follow through on an obligation, you need to make sure everyone knows it.

Also.. just a suggestion. Get someone, anyone, maybe even your hubby to call them posing as someone else and ask about these fees for expedited decisions. Then, make sure they ask 'what happens if you DONT get back to us in the time frame allotted?" Get a name. Get a section of a contract that states this, etc. You do not have to put up with that.

Plus... I wouldn't live there if it was the last apartment on the planet after this delay as well. I can understand if so and so has a death in the family or something and that has her work backed up.. but when you called to ask the lady GOT MAD. What? Don't you have any rights as a client?

Oh yea. They are lucky its not me. I'd give them hell and hell hath no fury like a woman ripped off and something falsely advertised.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Valkyrie on July 11th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Well I don’t know about the east coast, but I’m in the Midwest. Not all places have application fees, but the nicer places I’ve looked at ask for them. They run background checks which apparently cost money, I don’t really know since I’ve never had to run one. But yeah, I’m getting pretty pissed and I’ve been brooding on this for three days now. I actually called them after writing that rant and the reply I got was “we don’t have any information to offer you right now but we hope to have one by tomorrow”. I’m trying to be nice until I get an answer, because while the leasing agency is clearly worthless the apartments are actually pretty nice and in good condition and within our budget. Trying to find a two-bedroom apartment that’s within our budget and isn’t an utter crap hole has not been easy. I think I need to lower my standards in this search. I’m just trying to breathe deep and not let it be more stressful then I need. I really like your suggestion about getting someone else to call and inquire about those sorts of questions, I think that’s a pretty good idea and I’m going to give it a try.

Edit: Decided I didn't want to share quite that much <.<
Last edited by Valkyrie on July 12th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Cayenne on July 11th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Also, in small claims, you can generally ask the judge to have the defendant cover your costs.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Valkyrie on July 11th, 2012, 4:59 pm

That's starting to look like a pretty attractive option.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Paragon on July 12th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Just dropping in to say I think you're doing a fantastic job in Avanthal! Long live the city of ice and snow :)
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Valkyrie on July 13th, 2012, 7:28 am

Thank you Paragon, that's very kind

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on July 13th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Ugh. I wish I were more eloquent. And less long-winded. I need to find something worthwhile to fill this space with. And not change my mind about it a day later.

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Valkyrie on July 18th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Well the previous apartment we applied for didn’t pan out though I sort of expected that. I won’t even get into the details because it still frustrates me. We have another appointment to see an apartment this afternoon so I’m going to keep my fingers crossed but not too hard. I don’t want another disappointment like the last experience. My in-laws live between here and there so we are probably going to stop and visit them for dinner and such. Basically, I’m going to be rather busy and won’t be around Mizahar much today. We have another apartment to look at tomorrow so we might just spend the night down there with the in-laws to cut down on driving time, in which case I won’t be on again until tomorrow evening. So long for today Mizahar, hopefully we will find a nice place to apply to and I can come back in a good mood tomorrow! This whole apartment hunting thing has really got me down. It’s a stressful experience, but I know the hubby and I will be fine ultimately. It just takes time. I just wish I weren’t so damn impatient. :)

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Next