[Flashback] A Girl Away From Home (Erudite)

Minerva leaves her home city for the first time, and gets a tour of the grand city of Mura.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 7th, 2012, 5:58 am

1st Day of Autumn, 508 AV

Minerva Agatha Zipporah stepped off the ship, her brown eyes scanning the city without a clue what to do now. She had spent weeks travelling here, and was only just getting started. She'd left Sunberth to see the world, and, well, this was just one part of the world. But it sure was a pretty one.

She wandered down from the docks, not even noticing as she bumped into several people here and there. She couldn't take her eyes off the buildings. Everything was so beautiful, so artful... not at all like the drab, functional buildings of Sunberth. The buildings looked as if they had been painted right onto the landscape by an artist's brush. It was unlike anything she'd ever seen before.

Then she finally noticed the people. Such beautiful people. So many women... barely any men. That was fine by her. She rubbed at her neck, still a bit sore after weeks of healing. The bruises had faded, but sometimes it still hurt to move. She shook her head and dismissed the thought. That was the past. It didn't matter. What mattered was where she went from here.

Of course, 'where she went from here' didn't quite want to make it far past the docks. She was enraptured by the house at the end of the harbor, and just stood there staring at it. The architecture, the painting, the flow of beautiful people going inside and out. It almost didn't seem real.

It had to be real, right?

She walked up to the building and laid her fingers against the wall. It was smooth, and clean, and painted in blue, green, and pink. No rot. No splinters. No filthy, mud-covered streets. No sound of distant crying. No men who looked like they'd as soon stab you as look at you.

Staring at the mural painted on the front of the building, Minerva began to cry.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Erudite on May 20th, 2012, 11:10 am

Nothing but a child.

She was finely crafted porcelain doll, made to exude the youth of a preadolescent little girl. Her pale curls were kept in place by a silky blue ribbon, one that matched the fabric of her plain, gore-sleeved dress. But what kept her somewhat apart from the other pale, iridescent-scaled women was the expression on her fair face. Her rosy lips were still, and her light blue eyes were glassy and emotionless. She was a mannequin among lively folk, almost lifeless, almost alien.

Almost, just almost. She still managed to blend into the crowd, to walk down the streets in an unassuming manner, without garnering any stares or glances. It was when she spoke, it was when they got to know her, that they would find her rather peculiar. She preferred to keep to herself, she favored the company of books, of the older women, rather than spend time with others her age. She did not stand underneath the shadows of her sisters, but instead, she stood somewhere else, somewhere farther away.

It was morning; she usually went out for a walk around this time. She focused her mind on the sound of her leather boots as she meandered around the isle. A few familiar faces greeted her with courteous smiles, which she returned graciously. It appeared to be yet another uneventful morning for her, and quite soon she would have to return home and study her lessons. She passed by a couple of Konti carrying string instruments, chatting softly about the new pieces that they were practicing. Erudite nibbled her lips as she passed them, wondering to herself if she should take the time to learn the fiddle, or anything else of the sort. The idea was rather promising.

It sounded more and more like a good idea her head, until she found her ears catching the muffled sounds of sobbing, and soon the thought shattered. The Konti halted and turned her head to the side, only to find a stationary young woman with her hand pressed against one of the buildings. Her chin was tilted down and she appeared to be crying. Erudite furrowed her brows and wondered what would be the best thing to do. She looked about and found that she had no companions, and none of the other Konti seemed to have taken notice of her yet. She had never seen the woman before, and her clothing and appearance led her to assume that she was visiting from another city.

Slowly, she made her way towards the woman and gently tapped one of her trembling shoulders. Her short red hair and the peculiar green steak on one side of her head made her look rather different, and she wondered where she was from. Was it common for them to have such hairstyles? Her formfitting clothing were all in dark shades, her hands were covered in worn leather gloves, and around her waist was a toolbelt. Was she a tinkerer of sorts?

Erudite rested her hand on the woman's shoulder and leaned in closer to her. "Excuse me," she murmured softly, "are you alright?"

That was a rather stupid question. Erudite gulped and shook her head slightly. "Of course she's not alright," she thought to herself, as she gave the woman's shoulder a gentle pat. "I'm sorry, did something happen?" she tilted her head to the side as she spoke.

In Erudite we trust.
Personal Journal ~ Medical Journal

ANNOUNCEMENT: School is starting on June 13, and every single day after that, I will occasionally be busy and disappear for a few days. I am also currently applying for colleges abroad, and reviewing for upcoming entrance exams, so I'll be preoccupied over that, as well. Sorry!
Erudite
The girl with the world in her eyes.

Words: 92943
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2012, 5:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 20th, 2012, 3:32 pm

She heard the question, but didn't understand it at first.

She turned to look at the young girl, wiping her tears on the back of her sleeve. Are you alright? It seemed such a strange question. People in Sunberth didn't ask if you were alright. They ignored you, or told you to move out of their way. Nobody tended to help anyone else, or care about you if you were a stranger.

She really was someplace new.

She smiled wide, her eyes shining with joyful tears, and grabbed the girl before her. She pulled her into a firm hug, laughing. "'Course I's awright!" she cried out, squeezing the girl tight. "I's bloody GREAT, I am!" She hugged the girl long enough for it to become awkward, something she would never have done back home. Then she released her and held her by the shoulders, grinning at her.

"'Ow's you, aye?" she asked, grinning. "Ya awright? Ya gotta be, livin' someplace so pretty as 'is..." She looked around, basking in the sunshine, the beauty, and the general alrightness of it all. It was like waking up from a dream. From a seventeen year long nightmare. No one here would try to shiv her in an alley. Her Da couldn't beat her for being Kate with dinner. She laughed out loud at the joy of it all.

There was no way she was ever going back!
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Erudite on May 21st, 2012, 5:40 am

The redheaded woman hesitated for a moment, before turning her head to face Erudite. The Konti gulped as their eyes met; she couldn't read the expression on the woman's face. It seemed to be a mixture of happiness and sadness? She yelped as she felt a hand yank her into an embrace. Her heart pounded for a moment as she found herself limp and enveloped by the woman's arms - she thought that she was going to assault her, or something similar to that, but apparently not. Her eyes widened and her jaw slackened as the gesture registered into her mind. Was the woman happy, then?

"'Course I's awright!" she exclaimed cheerfully, as she squeezed Erudite. The Konti sqeaked in surprise, but did nothing else. She stood stiff and confused. The woman had a thick accent, one that she had never heard before. Could it have been Syliran? She'd never heard many Sylirans speak that way, however.

"U-Uh...mmm..." she mumbled, furrowing her brows as she eyed the woman's head buried against the nook of her shoulder. "I's bloody GREAT, I am!"

"G-Good fer, I's?" she managed with softly, only to fail miserably. She tried to imitate the woman's accent, but ended up mentally hitting herself in the head at the silliness of her idea. Imitate the woman's accent, really? She was either going to assume that she was an idiot, or that she was insulting her. She hoped that she wouldn't notice, and that she wouldn't have either of the ideas.

Once the woman had let go of Erudite, she flashed the Konti a bright grin. So she didn't notice after all, or perhaps he found it amusing? She returned the beam with an wry, uneasy smile. Was this woman crazy?

"'Ow's you, aye?" she asked, grinning. "Ya awright? Ya gotta be, livin' someplace so pretty as 'is..."

She watched her gaze up and scan their surroundings. The Isle was indeed beautiful, mesmerizing, and incredibly comforting. It was the best place to learn, and the best place to rest. It was a wonderful mix, one that was perfect and fit for the studious types. Her expression softened as she watched the woman admire her home. She saw the sheer, genuine awe in her face, and it warmed her heart.

"Thank you," she replied, in regards to her compliment. "I'm great, as well," she giggled. She watched the twinkling of her eyes, the grin on her lips, and the blush on her cheeks; she was enjoying their surroundings quite a lot.

"I'm Erudite," she said cordially, as she brought out her hand for a shake, "and you are?"

In Erudite we trust.

ANNOUNCEMENT: School is starting on June 13, and every single day after that, I will occasionally be busy and disappear for a few days. I am also currently applying for colleges abroad, and reviewing for upcoming entrance exams, so I'll be preoccupied over that, as well. Sorry!
Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 21st, 2012, 4:44 pm

OOCLOL, chalk up one more person who thinks Minerva is crazy!

Minerva finished looking around and her gaze fell back on the girl before her. She was so polite! It was so unlike what she was used to! Grinning wide, she took the girl's hand and shook it vigorously. "I's Mi--... Tock," she said. "My name's Tock. Nice ta meetcha!" Sheooked around some more, wondering what came next, where she was to go from here. She didn't know where to begin.

She decided to ask the kind stranger (what a strange term, 'kind stranger') for help. "Oy, what's good ta do 'round 'ere, aye" she asked. "I ain't done never been... well, anywheres really." She shrugged. "Where's the..." she paused, trying to think what to so with herself, now that she was here. She didn't have the first clue. "Where's the best thing what fer ta do 'round 'ere, aye? Whazzer like, the place ya jus' GOTTA see?" Maybe the girl could point her to the grandest wonders, so she could see them first. Before she missed her chance. She felt like it might be all gone tomorrow, and she didn't want to miss any of it.

Her eyes couldn't stop roaming around, taking in the people, the buildings, the art and beauty. She didn't want to blink for fear that she'd miss something important. She wanted to climb up on top of one of the buildings so she could see the whole city. She started examining the wall of the one next to her, looking for a way up, checking the structure for handholds. She reached up to see if she could get a grip to try and pull herself up.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Erudite on May 27th, 2012, 2:42 pm

"Uh..."

She couldn't help but mumble, stumble, and stammer around the redheaded woman, whose name was apparently Tock. It was undoubtedly a nickname, unless, those were the names common to where she came from. She felt compelled to ask what she was meant to say initially, what name she was truly born with, if Tock was indeed her nickname. Erudite twiddled her thumbs and bit her lip, wondering to herself if it would be polite to ask, as she felt rather uncomfortable referring to someone in such a way.

"Tock," she thought, as her eyes wandered off for a moment, quite bewildered.

"Oy, what's good ta do 'round 'ere, aye," she asked. Erudite gulped and chewed on her lip once more, as she wondered where she should take her. The woman was rather loud and inexplicably vibrant, earning the glances of many passersby as she spoke. Erudite opened her mouth to speak, only to be promptly cut off by Tock.

"I ain't done never been... well, anywheres really," Tock eyed her surroundings with a shrug, "Where's the..." she trailed off distractedly. Erudite took this opportunity to think about where she should bring Tock, as she wasn't quite sure what the woman was looking for. Her morning was becoming more and more interesting by the minute, it seemed.

"Where's the best thing what fer ta do 'round 'ere, aye? Whazzer like, the place ya jus' GOTTA see?"

"G-Gotta... see..." she mimmicked Tock's words as she tapped her chin. "Are you hungry?" she asked, as she watched Tock grope around a building. The Konti raised an eyebrow and pouted, wondering to herself what the woman might've had in mind. "Surely our buildings aren't that exotic," she mused, daring herself to ask what the woman was up to, only to later back out. It might embarrass Tock, and she seemed like an interesting, if not ridiculously eccentric, person.

"I know a good place, to eat, I mean," she added, as she shyly looked down at her hands as she fumbled with them. She looked up to find Tock seemingly trying to hoist herself up the structure. "I-I, what're you doing?" she blurted out with wide eyes. "Is she trying to scale the building?" she thought, silently hoping that she wasn't assuming correctly.

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 27th, 2012, 3:37 pm

'What are you doing?'

Tock hated that question. It was amazing how often people asked her that. She declined to answer, figuring it should be obvious. She was climbing the building. She hoisted her foot and planted it on a firm foothold, then grabbed an outcropping and pulled herself up. One of the advantages of artistic design was that all the extra frills and decorative touches gave good grips. A flat, boring wall would have been much harder to scale.

She didn't get very high. Tock wasn't a great climber. But with care, she managed to get up in line with the second floor, bracing her feet against a decorative carving and gripping her hands on a window sill. Someone inside the window screamed, and asked that dreaded question again, "What are you doing!?"

Tock ignored her, using her new vantage point to peer down the city street. She gaped at the beauty of it, the gardens and decorations everywhere, and the... was that water flooding some of the streets? She grinned.

After taking in the view (and ignoring the multiple protests from inside the window that she get down from there at once), she finally lowered herself back down. She half climbed/half fell to the ground, stumbling a bit and leaning on the wall to regain her footing. She looked at Eru with a huge grin spread across her face. "Ya said ya know a good place what fer a tucker?" she asked. "Oy, I's starved! Ain't 'ad nothin' but Sailor Man's ol' dried fish what fer two weeks! Let's go!" She grabbed the girls hand, hurrying down the street and pulling her along.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Erudite on May 27th, 2012, 4:41 pm

She suddenly felt responsible for this young woman. And as Tock began to climb her way up the structure and settle onto the second floor, she squeaked and hopped up to grab her attention and usher her back down.

"Get down from there!" she hissed, only to have her words drowned out by the exclamation of a woman from inside the building. She eyed the many Konti who had stopped to look at the strange redheaded woman as she eyed her surroundings enthusiastically. Erudite flashed them sheepish grins as they reluctantly sauntered away, their eyes still plastered onto Tock even as they were farther off down the street.

"T-Tock," she said softly, as the woman made her way back down. A relieved sigh escaped her lips as she turned to look at the Konti who peered out of her window to look at the pair. She furrowed her brows curiously at Tock, and gave Erudite a brief glance before retreating into the room she was in. "Why did you--" she tried, only to find herself cut off once more.

"Ya said ya know a good place what fer a tucker?" Tock exclaimed excitedly. Erudite raised her right brow, "tucker?" she responded with a whisper. The woman seemed determined on not responding to her questions, however, and continued speaking. "It's excitement, Erudite, excitement," she told herself again and again as she observed the woman.

"Oy, I's starved! Ain't 'ad nothin' but Sailor Man's ol' dried fish what fer two weeks! Let's go!"

"Does that mean you don't like fi-- Ah!" she gasped, as her heel pivoted about and she found herself being dragged towards a random direction. They were going the right way, at least. "Th-The Pearl Divers Inn," she said, as she caught sight of the structure not too far away, "the food there is great, and it's an inn as well." She slowly quickened her pace and took Tock's hand in hers, slowly leading the way towards the inn.
OOCFeel free to order up some food, describe the place, and sit us down. Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been really busy. This'll be my last post for tonight, see you!

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on May 27th, 2012, 5:18 pm

"Pearl Diver, aye Sook, sounds good!" Minerva said with a grin, hurrying along the street. She stopped at every single shop they passed, peering inside at the artistic creations on display. Everything about this place fascinated her, and she wanted to see it all.

When they reached the inn, she stopped for awhile and just stared at it. The chaotic artistry of the building was so grand compared to the drab brown buildings she was used to seeing back home. The inside was even better; everything was clean and white, with beautiful paintings on the walls and smiles on everyone's faces. Girls like Minerva didn't go to taverns in Sunberth; they were places filled with shadowy figures, and dark corners where no one would see what a man did to you in the dark. But this place was bright, and friendly, and perfect.

She bounced on her toes as she looked around the place, grinning the whole time. A beautiful blonde woman stepped up to her and asked with a smile, "What may I do for you on this lovely day?" Tock laughed out loud. The woman was offering to help her without being asked! Taverns in Sunberth usually had service that consisted of a man shouting 'Wench! Ale!', and the bar maid either dropping it off without a word, or else hanging her 'blessings' in a man's face in hopes for a bigger tip.

"Didja 'ear 'at?" Tock asked Eru, laughing. She grabbed the innkeeper and pulled her into a tight hug, tears in her eyes.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Erudite on June 11th, 2012, 5:16 pm

It was like riding a carriage drawn by an epileptic horse. The Konti found herself repeatedly being dragged swiftly down neatly paved roads, only to be abruptly halted in front of every stately building, which was basically every singly structure to the inquisitive Tock. She let out soft disgruntled protests, but continued to allow the redhead to pull her around. She'd tried to gain speed and lead the way, but it was futile; she simply couldn't match up to the other woman's excitement.

Her tense muscles relaxed at the sight of the inn. "Th-There," she stumbled out, and she was quickly led inside. She didn't frequent the inn, as she and her family had a place of their own, and whenever they would go out to eat, it would be at the Forest Meridian. She let the redhead take in the interior, and even chose to remain silent and do the same.

A rare smile graced her lips as she found herself growing more and more comfortable around Tock, her eyes scanning the smooth contours of the inn, the beautiful ivory tables, and the equally magnificent Konti that ran the place. The vibrant and colorful murals reminded her of all-too-familiar things, while everything was wonderful and pristine, she'd realized that she hadn't cleaned herself up yet. She glanced down and found herself rather neat, but turned to Tock, and found that she looked a bit disheveled from her boat trip. Biting her lip, she decided to tell the woman later on. She nodded cordially at the triplets who ran the area as they acknowledged the pair, who seemed to stand out when they stood together. One of the triplets maintained eye contact and approached them, but before Erudite could speak, she did.

"What may I do for you on this lovely day?" said the fair-haired, beautiful woman. Erudite opened her mouth to respond, but her words were cut off by Tock's laughter. She furrowed her brows and turned to the redhead, wondering what she was thinking. "Did'ja hear that?" the woman said cheerfully, turning to Erudite with a genuinely ecstatic smile. Erudite nodded reluctantly, and said no more as Tock grabbed the woman and embraced her.

"Do you need a room, something to eat?" the Konti said kindly, all the while trapped in the arms of Tock. Erudite inched closer and spoke up. "Both. The former for her, and the latter for the both of us, please." With a polite nod, the two Konti exchanged smiles. Erudite led Minerva to the nearest table. "Your finest fish meal and some fruit juice, if you please," Erudite piped up, and then turned to Tock. "What shall you have, Tock?" The name sounded horribly foreign and different, like an exotic dish exploding in her tongue. She wished she could ask if she had a different name, her real name, if Tock were just short for something.

In Erudite we trust.

Erudite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Next