The Brawler's weapon (Solo-Training)

Finally making use of the Longsword and training blades

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Kreig Messer on May 9th, 2012, 11:53 am

512th Spring, 51st day 9th bell 12th chime

The longsword, a weapon that’s every part can be used as a weapon. Its tip was used to thrust and stab at an opponent, at an armored foe’s weak points mainly. Its double edges were used to slash at an opponent, its range allowing it to do so at an effective rate. The Pommel was used to pummel a foe if they got to close, or when there was no need for the foe to die, simply subdued. One could grab the blade of a sword and use it to increase the thrust of the blade, or one could use both hands grabbing the blade and use the hilt as a makeshift hammer, more commonly used against armored foes, in a slashing attack would be effective. The weapon was perfect for one such as Kreig, it used every part as a weapon as a brawler would use everything they had available to the same, from their fists to their teeth , from a broken leg off a chair to perhaps a small eating utensil or a cloth. In short, it was the Brawlers weapon.

But Kreig knew none of that, the one to teach never got around to it, and the weapon he had purchased at his insistence along with the training variants were never put to use since the day he purchased them ‘Not anymore, time to get my Mizas worth. Don’t even know what I’m supposed to be doing though….’ He thought to himself as he stood in the middle of the Crimson Edge camp, His Longsword and other practice blades lying on the ground a small distance away from him. One of his wooden longswords in hand ‘I must start small I suppose, crawl before I could walk as, I think, they say’ He thought once more as he gripped the sword improperly, too tightly for it to be used at different angle effectively. If it were as simple as brawling, Kreig could have simply gone into fights and improved his skill with it, but it wasn’t brawling. Brawling had one battle suddenly or simply throwing punches and kicks, learning what works as the fighter battles and, hopefully, survive. Usually they did so at the cost of bruises ,broken bones and lost teeth. But more sever wounds were not rare and thus neither was death, they were common enough. If Kreig were to try and train his skill with the longsword like that he would most likely die from a more experienced foe ‘Can’t do that… I can take a hit from a weapon but those were usually from thugs, those dunderheads know how to use a weapon as much I do’ He considered thoughtfully ‘Would have been fun though….’

As he improperly held the sword He began to swing it around, up and down, left and right and at their respectful angles. He continued to do this for a while, till he realized how uncomfortable it was wielding the wooden blade ‘What I’m I doing wrong here?’ He asked himself, Kreig had seen many a battle between the gangs of Sunberth, wither it was small gangs trying to ascertain dominance or a battle between the dominate factions ‘I was born here….I have many a battle to reference on in my mind’ Indeed, even if he were without the proper instruction, if he were to recall these memories proper, perhaps he could learn a thing or too….

As he searched all the battles in his mind, every single battle he saw as a child till this day. The memories of thugs using their weapons like Neanderthals to the small skirmishes between the dominate factions, he soon found what he needed within those memories ‘Huh…they didn’t look like they were holding it too tightly ’Kreig thought as he examined his own tight grip ‘They had a more easier time to spin their blades, to cut with more ease’ In according to that, Kreig has loosened his grip ‘Perhaps it shall be more effective this time’ As he raised the wooden sword over his head, he brought it down with a mighty force, only for it to slip through his hands and a land a good distance away “Whoops” He said, hoping no one was here to witness that little fiasco…

After a few moments spent to retrieve the wooden blade, he tried again once, although this time a little tighter ‘Okay, here we go’ He raised it overhead once more and swung it down, this time the blade did not fly, in fact, it cut through the air more smoothly then when he held it tighter ‘Gah, even I can tell this needs work’ He thought, again swinging the blade once more at different angles, he continued doing this for a while until….. “Ouch, Muh nose” He grasped his with his left as he accidently whacked it with his wooden blade ‘Dat id not good’ Kreig said, randomly swinging his blade out of anger, only to whack his foot “OUCH” he yelped as he dropped the wooden blade and jumped on one leg, as if a silly dance….. Perhaps that was enough for one day.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on May 10th, 2012, 6:52 pm

512th A.V. Spring, 52nd day 8th bell 34th chime Crimson Edge Camp

Day number two of the training. It was more of a continuation of trying to
ascertain the proper grip once more, true as it may be he found one yesterday, it was still a clumsy and inefficient one. He swung his blade continuously once more in all directions, occasionally throwing impractical thrusts into the mix ‘No good, guess counting on a memory from years long gone is still little to by’ He thought as he made another incompetent thrust , ‘stabbing’ the air with a little too much air as he fell forward ‘Grrrah’ scratching his head as sat up, he looked at his wooden longsword with a frustrated look ‘Why can’t you be fun like throwing your fist as someone’ Because someone would most likely die ‘Why can’t I just take my blade and battle someone with it?’ Because then you would become a murderer or fail and die, either way a fool.

Giving a frustrated mumble, he stood up once more. Again he swung his blade through the air and again he thrust, simply to find a proper way to grip the wooden weapon. It was tiring to say the least, and it felt quite fruitless, to find the proper grip and to swing incompetently at the air, to stab it yet fail to even have a proper footing so as to not fall so frequent. As he lay on the ground once more and stared at the sky, he began to think aloud “Why I’m I even learning this again? Oh yeah, so I don’t try to take on weapons with my body again and end up unable to move my arms or legs, such a pain to be an ‘educated’ brawler” He raised his right hand, pointing the wooden sword to the sky, imagining it shining like the real sword he had purchased.

Again he stood up, blade in hand ‘If I keep falling I may as well be learning little….I should be standing more proper as well, correct?’ He asked silently, there was no one to tell him he was doing the correct things or that he may as well be leading himself to an unmarked grave. Time passed as he continued his trial, well into sunset ‘Okay…..I THINK….I HAVE IT DOWN’ He mentally shouted, as he breathed heavily from constantly swinging his wooden blade around. It was quite a simple stance, with one foot forward, and a leg straight in the back, his blade held in front of him, a relaxed yet firm grip. He performed a downward slice which gave a satisfying sound as it cut through the air, another to the upper left gave off another satisfying sound. With a quick step forward he performed. Just a little earlier it seems he found this stance, just another downward swing that caused him to move forward and he promptly noticed, began to experiment with it you see. He didn’t seem to fall as much when he began using this ‘discovered’ stance that was basic to many who used a weapon like the longsword.

“This is good….. Still sloppy….Still good” as decided to collapse on his more he chuckled, even if it took him a bit to discover such an incredibly basic stance it made him happy ‘This little stance may help me quite a bit” Indeed, although quite basic knowing it would increase his chance of survival and perhaps to discover new things as well, that was the end of the second day, and the third , fourth and fifth as well. To be filled with nothing but practicing the same stance over and over, to improve those sloppy swings and thrusts, hopefully he continues along this path.
Last edited by Kreig Messer on May 11th, 2012, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on May 11th, 2012, 6:58 pm

512th A.V. Spring, 58th day 8th bell ,Crimson Edge Camp.

The Seventh day, or was it the Eighth? Kreig wasn’t quite sure which one was it ‘Been doing the same thing too much’ Kreig as he got up early once more and stood on the familiar grounds of the Crimson Edge camp “I think I got the swings and stance right, but…” He then looked at the palm of his left hand, the scar obtained years ago, while proof of survival, was also a reminder that , at times, he can’t use his hand as well as he could anymore . Indeed, he would need the full strength of his left if he were too use his sword with both hands “Well, I’m fairly certain I can use this sword one handed as well, with a similar stance to the one I’ve been practicing” As he said this he began to experiment with the idea. A foot forward and his leg back, except now his right held his sword in front of him without the use of the left, which was left hanging useless ‘Even if it’s nothing more than something a child would use, it feels heavier alone’ He noticed the subtle difference of carrying the weapon with one rather than two hands ‘A pitty, that would mean I may as well put less strength into each attack’ Which was the primary advantage of holding the sword with both hands, and there were other troubles as well.

“Since I’m not using my left I may as well be an easier target….” Again he though, now practicing his swings with one hand without the use of the other. Indeed, he wouldn’t be able to turn the sword quickly at proper angles and he may as well be left more open. Of course, those who often used the sword one handed also often used another type of tool with their free hand, either another weapon or perhaps”…That’s it, a Shield” He said with a happy smile, slowly stopping his swinging and brought up his left hand “Maybe I could strap it to my arm, can shield’s do that? I wouldn’t have to just hold the thing with the palm of my left, would I?” Indeed, a shield would be a boon to the defenses of many, especially from incoming arrows if one were too see it coming and raise their shield fast enough. Of course, right now Kreig only knows it’s used to protect from incoming blows , using it, and discovering its other uses is a whole other matter “Alright, later I go buy a shield” He said to himself ‘Everyday something new, heh’

After a little bit more of clumsily swinging the wooden sword with his right, he decided that he should continue to handle the sword with both hands, and well…. Use the heavier variant as well. As he headed over to his smile pile of practice weaponry, his actual longsword next to them, he decided to make use of the heavier wooden blades, the ones bolted to metal. As he picked one of them, it came immediately obvious that wielding it was quite different than the wooden child’s toy of a sword. While he properly gripped, its feel was quite different than the wooden blade he was used to after a week of training. Nevertheless, what he needed to do was quite obvious, the same process he used with the wooden blade would apply to its heavier brother. As he stood there, one leg in front and the other straight in the back, he swung the blade downwards, left and right and to the corners. After a little more repeating of the same process he concluded “It’s more tiring, I have to use more strength just for basic swings” With that in mind, he continued the process of swinging the blade. Eventually he swung the blades till his arms began to hurt and tire. Sweat dripping down his forhead, he rested his weight upon the heavy wooden blade as its wooden tip touched the ground “Hah……its.....Tiring….need ….rest” Letting the wooden thing go and fall to its side, he himself fell back, eyes one more looking at the sky.

After a small while, when his breath caught up with the words wishing to escape his tongue “I see, many things need work, eh?” It wasn’t enough to just be able to swing or the proper stance, he needed to be able to swing the blade with more ease, more body strength as it was. Once his arms ached less than before he stood, picked up the heavy wooden blade and looked at it the same way he looked at his previous one “You are going to be quite the pain I believe” He spoke to it as if it were sentient, a sentiment he shared with his true blade which rested unused within its sheath, Until night came he continued the process of swinging the wooden blade bolted with metal and frequently taking breaks to rest his arms, that was the end of week one of the training.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Archelon on May 22nd, 2012, 7:48 am

Thread Award

"..."

And the Results!!!!:

Krieg :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Longsword4
Dancing1
Meditation1 Ruminations of the past, to get more well... learn meditation stuff XD.
Bodybuilding1

Lores:
Longsword: A basic stance
Dance: The hopping foot :P

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
Interesting thread :) Any questions,comments,or concerns please feel free to send me a nice pm.
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)