Question about Reimancy

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Question about Reimancy

Postby Nai'shee on May 27th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Hey guys. :)
I just wondered if it would be (possible? normal?) for a character not to specialize in more than one element, even after reaching level they can do so. I guess it would be weird for a master Reimancer not to discover more elements, but is it forbidden? I'm asking for any benefits in having only one element, it just came across my mind, like "what if" thing. I guess it could might also be added in Lore if it's possible, but I don't know if it would be well for lots of character to get this same idea, unusual things should stay unusual.
Thanks for time. :D
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Question about Reimancy

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 28th, 2012, 4:19 pm

From my point of view, I would say sort of.

On one level, a master reimancer would at least know of, and be able to use the other elements. What comes into personal preference here is how often the reimancer chooses to use them. Personality of the user is important.

Also, I think the first element a reimancer chooses is always close to there heart, and in a pinch the one they are the most likely to use.

For instance, Clyde here is a expert reimancer. He has access to fire, air, and earth. However he is not to good at earth, is just learning to use it IC. He also only rarely uses air, it just is not destructive enough for him.

His first element was fire, and it is his favorite, and the one he uses the most often. 9 times out of 10, he will throw a fire ball at someone, or possibly a lightning bolt, though that is a bit rarer. Only on the 1 time out of 10 does he use the other two.

Though he could possibly start using earth more once he has learned IC better how to use the element.

Now, IC, if you mainly use one element, you are going to get really good at that one element you have practiced the most with, and realistically be better at it than someone who has used all of the elements evenly.

But this is were realism comes in. Some people will rp that just since they have access to the element, they now all of its whims. Personally, I dont feel that way, but there will be those who borderline powerplay there magic and elements.

All I can say is that you do your best to be fair, and if you specialize in one element, you should realistically be better at that element than a dabbler. Just know that everyone might not rp that way.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Question about Reimancy

Postby Gossamer on May 28th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Its really NOT possible and I'll tell you why.

Novice is defined as 1 element.
Competent is defined as 2 elements.
Expert is defined by 3 elements.
Master is defined by 4 elements.

So if you only have one element, by definition, you are a novice. You can prefer to use just one, but that won't ever make you a master regardless of your skill points. Reimancers are about mastering the elements. And while people may want to call themselves say a geomancer, there's really no such thing on Mizahar.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Question about Reimancy

Postby Nai'shee on May 28th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Okay, thanks for your replies. :)
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name