On the Wings of Cruelty (Aidara/Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Tabarnac on October 9th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Suequortie didn't move to stop Aidara from fleeing her protection, nor did the feathered Yaweat abandon the fevered man. She hadn't the juice to fix what the storms had done to these creatures, though perhaps Rak'keli's champion could have seen what was wrong and made amends somehow. But in channeling that power, however little she might lay claim to, she lit up with a strange light that confounded them. They knew to veer away from the priestess with her terrible power, and the too-powerful Kelvic man, but they were immune to the magic of her words and though their chorus had claimed Yaweat as brother, she could sense a terrible divide between them.

But her aura of healing, this startled them. Their chorus changed into something curious, like a parliament of owls hoo-hooting their question: who? who? who?

It was her empathy that did it, that truly let them in. She could feel them pecking at her soul, turning it over and looking for something writhing to pull out and snap up like a worm. They wanted the mess, but her careful meditation and channeling of divine energy helped find them off.

At some point, something that may once have been a lovebird fluttered heavily over to land on her knee, its mutated talons sharp in her flesh as it balanced itself. Its eyes, however, were more curious than hungry as it peered at her, head cocked. Somehow it was like looking into a mirror, and as her mind shifted toward Sira, the beast made a pathetic, mournful sound and she was swept up in its memory as if it were a powerful thing and she the diminutive bird.

She saw the creature's mate die in the storm, felt its pain and loss even as the magic warped it out of all recognition to its former self. It looked harder at her then, peeling away at her memories like the skin of an onion, trying to understand what was beyond its ken: the return of a god. But it shared these impressions from her with the flock, and they tried to piece it together with there hive mind.

"HUNGER!" she heard, some of them still trying to stay with their one remaining drive. They could eat her up, pull her soul from her body to inhabit one of their forms, much as they did with the other fallen. Only then did she realize that the flock was more numerous than they seemed. Within each physical shape was a legion of souls, all who had died in agony.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aidara on October 30th, 2012, 2:25 am

It was safe to say that Addy didn’t expect the startled withdrawal of the creatures; like when one is playing tug with a piece of rope and the person on the other end suddenly lets go, the little healer recoiled and almost tipped over backwards as the intense pressure of their presences disappeared. Having thrown all of her power at them, all that she could manifest anyway, it was a shocking, uncomfortable feeling to have the bird’s retreat away from it. Instinct caused Addy to lunge after them, unintelligible words flying from her lips as she blindly reached a hand forward. Physically, the creatures hadn’t moved an inch but the healer was having a hard time even telling which way was up.

Tipping precariously on the edge of the platform as she was, it was a good thing that Addy was currently unaware of her surroundings; otherwise panic would have probably sent her toppling over. When the creatures changed their song, she almost did that anyway. As unsettling as they were, Addy couldn’t help but feel for the poor things, her heart twanging at the pain they must be in. The “who who who” rang in her ears so loudly that she could hardly hear herself think. “I am Endal Aidara of Wind Reach. Bondmate and Rider of Sira. Healer and…” Practically yelling because of the noise inside her head, Addy paused as she failed to recount any more of her credentials.

“Survivor. I am here to help! Just let me help!” There was intelligence there, or else they would have continued to chant for food regardless of what Addy, her strange bird-man and the Priestess did or said. It was this shred of intelligence that Addy pleaded to, exploiting everything she could as she continued to prod them with the strands of her power. “Tell me what you need for food and I’ll get it to you. Meat? Worms? Seeds?”

The sudden weight on her knee startled her, oblivious to the mutated bird that had made its way over to her knee, a flash of burning pain as its talons sliced the skin on her leg open, leaving rents in the legs of her bryda. Resisting the urge to simply push the creature from her person, the grotesque remains of what was probably a beautiful bird making her instincts cringe, a shiver thrilling down her spine. “Little one, talk to me…” Pushing instinct away, Addy reached out a hand to pat the thing on the head, smoothing her fingers downward as if caressing feathers there, like she had with Natalie so many times.

Thought of her daughter dragged Sira back into the picture and Addy couldn’t stop her heart from doubling its pace, a flash of adrenaline shocking her nerves into overdrive; she had momentarily forgotten about her family and wasn’t prepared for the reminder. With her hands on the verge of trembling, Addy turned her attention back to the little bird on her ear, reading herself to use it as a distraction when the images flooded her mind.

Addy felt the thing ravaging her mind as she was locked within its visions, watching its mate die as that low and torturous sound continued to issue from the birds throat. Distantly, the healer felt a change in the birds with the power she still had anchored in the closest ones, though she had no idea what it meant. Trying to rip away from the visions that plagued her, Addy cried out and swatted her hands, inadvertently sweeping the creature from her knee as she struggled to rise. The renewed screams of hunger hit her like a hammer, stealing the breath from her lungs just as she managed to regain her feet; the force of it drove Addy back down to her knees where she wobbled for a moment before falling over onto her hands as well.

Panting, deafened by the screams and nearly blinded from the pain of it, Addy turned towards where she remembered her bird man to be hovering, the priestess somewhere behind her. “Help me! HELP ME!” It felt like hundreds of claws tore at her, though she didn’t bleed, a thousand beaks pecking away at something she couldn’t see. “They’re… hurting… me!” She could feel their pain, greater than before, and their anger and their hunger, though she still didn’t understand what for. All she knew was that they were quite possibly killing her, making her like them.

Pulling herself away from the edge on her hands and knees, Addy struggled to draw her power back in, using whatever energy she had left in an attempt to block the creatures out; but every time she envisioned a stone wall in her head, the one that would block the creatures from her, it instantly shattered into dust with the force of their attack. She couldn’t hold them off.

“Eywaat!” She had known it was him but had refused to admit it to herself. A god would have helped her, not dragged her into the middle of a murderous army of creatures and left her to fend for herself. Anger flared and was instantly ripped away by the creatures before she even had a chance to feel it. Choking on a sob, Addy stretched out a hand towards the giant bird that hovered over the fallen body, her plea barely more than a whisper. “Help me. They need food…”
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gracen on November 1st, 2012, 8:06 pm

Moderating Permissions :
I was approved to continue moderating this thread from one of my PC accounts, and I promise to try not to make as many grammatical mistakes from here on out.

Yaweat screamed at her, the language of birds working into her head. But it wasn't so much a language as an intuitive awareness of concepts being transmitted. "YOU," he said, implying that some part of her must be their food. Suequortie had been watching, and her eyes saw much. Perhaps she had seen Rak'keli's power in her aura, and seen the reaction of the not-birds and perhaps divined some greater understanding.

"Open yourself to Rak'keli," she ordered, her voice not loud, but cutting through the raucousness all the same. "Let them devour Her."

Clearly she and the god were unable to just snap their fingers and save her, else they would have done so. But the little lovebird-that-was-not kept edging up her leg, perhaps taking a bit more care of her flesh, head cocked curiously at her. Hungry, certainly, but perhaps not for food.

What has it lost? a voice said in her head, possibly her own. What does it need? For what does it hunger?
Gracen
You can run, but you will only die tired.

Words: 50800
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aidara on November 3rd, 2012, 5:22 am

The voice of the priestess sliced through Addy’s awareness like an impossibly sharp blade, severing the self-pity that had started to gather in the woman’s thoughts as she allowed herself to be swallowed by the seemingly impossible task. Auburn locks flew every which way as Addy whipped her head around, wide green eyes searching out Suequortie’s face; the woman had been a commanding voice of reason in all the chaos, one that Addy clung to in those desperate moments.

Having slowed from its initial flood, the power that Addy poured from within herself and out towards the birds had weakened until barely anything ebbed outwards. Already she could feel the pangs of hunger beginning to eat away at her insides, the fatigue that the god had kissed away earlier sinking its fingers back into her flesh; shivers began to crawl up and down her spine, goose bumps raising across all of her exposed flesh. Frustration embodied itself as a growl that slowly climbed from her throat, lips pulling back into a grimace as she tried to push all the physical distractions away; now was not a time for her body to fail her. But that didn’t chane the fact that she did need help. If Eywaat or the Priestess couldn’t help her, well…

Praying was not something that Addy did everyday; it just wasn’t something she thought about. Her Healing mark from Rek’keli had been there for as long as she could remember; some of the nurses that cared for Addy as a child said that she’d had it from birth, but there was no way for the woman to know if this was true or not. Rek’keli had chosen the fiery Inarta, not the other way around. It didn’t lessen the devotion that Addy felt for the Goddess in the slightest; instead, she had been blessed with something magnificent and devotion just simply fell to the back burner. Not everyone was instantly or devoutly religious.

When her strength began to fail, Addy turned to Rek’keli. Allowing her mind to brush up against the power within her, her fingertips brushing against the inside of her left arm, upon the swirling mark there, the little woman did her best to shut out all outside distractions- including the lovebird that shimmied up her leg. My Goddess, Give me Strength to help these creatures, to continue on. The words sounded awkward, even within her head. Wrinkling her nose, Addy continued to forge ahead. I have been chosen for this task and I am in need of- Oh, petch it. Throwing formality to the wind, the healer instead let her frustration flow forth. I don’t know how to do this on my own, damn it. I don’t know if I can do it on my own. I need your help. It would have to do.

Shaking her shoulders as if to loosen them, Addy opened her eyes, glancing around to reorient herself; not much had changed saved the little mutant on her knee- well, her thigh now. Frowning down at it, Addy tilted her head to mimic it’s own curious expression, Suequortie’s words echoing through her mind: Let them have her.

Gathering her will, Addy touched again that golden power within her, gently urging it back into the flood that she had previously sent to wash over every creature within her immediate vicinity. This time, however, she focused the most on the bird before her, funneling some of her power into it directly as they locked gaze. It was only an instant before she felt the birds latch back onto her gift; it was an uncomfortable feeling, as if they were trying to pull more out of her than she was willing to give. Instead of pulling back as she did before, Addy simply gave more, pouring herself and everything that her goddess had given her towards the birds, the creature on her knee.

The images of the not-lovebirds dying mate flickered before her minds eye once more, the little creatures head twisting to tilt the other direction and suddenly Addy understood. Not even a bell ago she had heard Sira and her daughter screaming, possibly dying, overwhelmed by her need to go help them and stifled by her inability to do just that. Her hunger to be by their side.

And it clicked.

Without thinking, Addy reached down and scooped the mutated creature up into her hands, bringing it upwards so that it was mere inches from her face. “You’re alone.” A whisper was all she could manage as her heart thudded painfully in her chest. Quite unsure how exactly she was going to do this, Addy simply closed her eyes and, after picturing the little bird she held before her in her minds eye, began to thread all of the love she held for Sira and Natalie, her desire to be with them, her joy at their company into the power she allowed the birds to suck from her. She twisted her need for companionship in there, her remorse for the mate that the lovebird had lost, the sympathy she felt for the poor, poor creatures. She gave it all to them.

Addy didn’t noticed that she had begun to cry, tears flowing freely down her cheeks as she let herself go and opened her heart. It was the only thing she could do, she realized. She had, by way of her very profession, love for every living creature- mutated or otherwise. She let these creatures see that, feel it, and gave them what they- hopefully- desired.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gracen on November 11th, 2012, 11:45 pm

A door opened within her, onto an infinite golden light. Her prayer was answered without words, because words were a human abstraction that could not contain a goddess. But Aidara had finally bridged that gap in understanding toward which Yaweat and the priestess and pushed her. One had to be nudged out of the nest in order to fly.

Power flowed into her from elsewhere, and through her into the flock of vampiric birds. She learned a secret about Rak'keli: healing was an act of terrible love. Love was like the goddess, then, too big for mere words, but until such time as people transcended them, they would have to do.

The monster tucked into her embrace like a grieving child.

When things calmed down and she peeked up from her arms, things were still chaotic, but with the sounds of joy and longing rather than hate and hunger. Her wounds were gone without a trace, and a perfectly beautiful lovebird sat in her lap, nuzzling against her ribs.

"You have an admirer, I think," said Suequortie, who stepped closer, as calm now as she had been before, the eye of the storm. But the both of them were soon looking in the direction of Yaweat, who shifted into his human form, standing over the fallen, feverish man.

The birds all looked normal and healthy now, but they flocked at him with a desperation one might understand if they had lost as the lovebird had lost. They flew into his welcoming arms, but where they struck, they were absorbed as if into a Void.

It was strange to think she had thought him a mere Kelvic. Now his power was clear. The god of birds was not the most powerful, but had the respect of the eagle-riders of Wind Reach. For a few moments, he was entirely obscured by the wings and bodies of the flock, and when the last disappeared, he stood there in a feathered kilt, calm as you please. Barefoot, he stepped closer, offered Aidara a hand up. The little lovebird took flight in a flutter of wings, and landed on her shoulder singing her praises in her ear. She could still understand the words.

"It looks like you have an admirer," he said, repeating the priestess' observation. "He's the only one who didn't come to me. Looks like he's your responsibility now."

Gracen
You can run, but you will only die tired.

Words: 50800
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aidara on November 17th, 2012, 4:03 am

Lost within herself and the tide of emotions that swirled around and within the woman, the damn holding them back having been shattered in her last desperate attempt to help, Addy hardly noticed as things changed around her. So strong was her passion that she had to make an effort to pull herself back in, reeling her consciousness back away from the seething depths of emotion now loose within her head; there was a reason why Addy wore every thought and feeling on her sleeve. With so much to give it was hard to stop everything that managed to sneak through the cracks of her defenses in those intense, taxing situations in which she usually let a little too much loose.

Perhaps it was because of her empathetic connection with her sister that Addy was able to manifest her feelings this way, stronger than anyone else she had ever known, passionately responding to everything as if it were her last moment. It was a curse as well as a blessing, it would seem. The thought of her lost twin usually brought about tormenting twinges, her heart sent a-patter as she tried to not think about the hole Sai left, the hurt that remained. But the little woman was too deep now, too flung out amongst the birds to feel much of anything coming from herself, another blessing in disguise.

It took what seemed like bells, but Addy managed to pull herself back in enough that she could think coherently, make her own observations of things that didn’t pertain to simple, raw emotion. She noticed that the waves of feelings emanating from the flock had changed. Her heart soared into her mouth and with a final graceless tug Addy freed herself from the mass, toppling backwards onto the platform as if shoved by some unseen force. The Priestess loomed above her and it took all the energy she had for Addy to remember how to smile, methodically pushing and locking things back into their boxes, damming up the emotions once more. Her power coiled like happy cat back within her, though she still felt it thrumming through her veins, almost as if her entire body purred. Addy knew there was no way she could have done that herself, but her goddess would be able to read the emotions that roiled within, even if she did supply only two words. Thank you.

Suequortie’s comment drew her attention to her arms, where she did indeed still cradle what was now obviously a lovebird. “I suppose I do .” The smile only widened when slightly shaking fingers lifted to stroke the soft feathers atop its head. “I could tell you were a beauty. What's your name, little one?” The little bird seemed to enjoy the praise, the feathers along its body puffing with pleasure as he leaned into the gentle stroking that Addy supplied.

As much as she would have liked to sit and cradle the little bird, Addy knew there were other things to tend too… like, the giant mutated flock of birds she had just saved, for instance. The healers gaze lifted and the surrounded limbs, heavily laden with dark forms, seemed to come alive as she did so, rising into the air and swooping towards the god that stood not too far away. She should have cried out, for it looked more like a planned and well-coordinated attack than anything else, but Addy could feel traces of everything around her, she could hear them still. They were happy, and that brought the dimples into her cheeks. The air seemed to erupt into feathers and flapping wings and within seconds her Kidnapper could no longer be seen beneath them. Thought she didn’t understand where or why, Addy knew that they were going to a better place.

Watching as he approached, offering her his hand as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened, Addy took it with a graceful incline of her head, the lovebird accommodating the movement by fluttering to her shoulder. “It would seem I have something you do not.” A slender brow arched as her hand rose to stroke the little bird once more. “I will care for him well. There is nothing to fear about that.” Though the exchange in pleasantries was pleasant, a cloud of sorts hung low over all their heads. It urged Addy into action, though a lingering glance at the barely clad man before her wished it could be otherwise. It was only when her gaze then found the fallen man still sprawled on the platform that Addy realized she was still mad at her Kidnapper. Damn.

“I know you’re not what you seem.” Putting voice to the thought that had ran through her mind more than once, Addy leveled a finger a the sick man. “So why aren’t we helping him?” It took only a handful of quickened steps for the healer to reach his side, the back of her hands placed against his forehead for the barest of ticks before she yanked it away again. “He’s burning up…still! How is he even alive? And if those creatures are gone, which they seem to be save my little friend here, then why is he still unwell? ” All the raw emotion and power that had been flowing had super charged the little woman, and now that she had spent up all of her love and compassion on the birds, she found her former irritation and anger close to the surface. “I can still hear him.” A nod to the love bird who was chirping happily away in her ear before those green eyes caught the half-naked mans gaze. “Who are you? And do I get some answers now? Was this my task? Am I done? How am I even to get home?” The thought of the ride here flashed through her mind and Addy visibly sagged with the weariness she had been trying to ignore. “I’m not sitting on you for another three days, so you can… go shove that.”

And with that, Addy sat down hard next to the fevered man, unable to keep her feet any longer.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Verilian on July 9th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Sadly, there was only so much the god could do. He was not Rak'keli, he did not have the power to fend off death completely, not when Dira's grasp was so near. But he did understand Aidara's rage, and he wished that he could help her. She had done everything for him, against her will and later willingly, and he had given her nothing in return. Well.. that was not entirely true, perhaps. Aidara could still understand the little lovebird chirping away on her shoulder, and she had gained a new friend from it all. But he knew that was not enough.. and there was nothing he could do about it. Growing serious once more, his response was a somber one.

"Our healers will do our best to save him, but if Dira comes for him, there is nothing I can do to stop her."

Suequorti walked up behind Aidara and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Things were beginning to calm down, and large Jamoura approached to pick up and carry the sick man away. Elsewhere, those who were not injured were taking the injured and dead, either to the Medical Petal, or to The Scarlet Saplings to be burried. Dira, unfortunately, was no stranger to any who had lived in The Spires since the djed storm, and the people were used to cleaning up after a disaster.

"We will take care of him, Aidara. Don't worry," the Akvatari said.

Eywaat chuckled at what Aidara said regarding how she was going to get home. He probably could have somehow magically whisked her to The Spires and back again, or at least that's what any mortal would assume. Why he had chosen to fly her instead, even if it was at a very rapid pace, Addy would never know, but he did not intend to do it again.

"Don't worry, you won't have to. Sira and your daughter should be here by tomorrow."

There was little else to do. Aidara had a day to waste in The Spires, but it would not be a fun one. Nobody was giving tours or in a particularly jovial mood. Most were busy cleaning up the mess the birds had caused. The attack had not been just in the area around the temple, but had encompassed the entirety of The Spires. Nobody had time to show her around, though they would certainly put her to work if she asked. The following morning Natalie and Sira arrived in the city, the trials of their own journey forgotten when they saw that Addy was alive and safe. While Eywaat was not going to whisk the Endal and her family back home, he did come through in somehow transporting Sira's saddle to the city, that way Aidara would be able to ride the wind eagle back whenever she was ready. Shortly after, Eywaat left the city to do whatever it was gods did, and soon enough, Addy found herself back at home. She could still hear the voices of the birds on the mountain, and knew that though the giant black crow was not there, he would be forever with her in a way. Not to mention the fact that as soon as they were done hugging her, Natalie blatantly pointed out the fact that Addy had a colorful feather growing from behind her ear.

Thread Award

Aidara

• +3 Interrogation
  • +3 Persuasion
  • +2 Rhetoric
  • +2 Riding (Eagle.. or Eywaat, whatever you would prefer)
  • +2 Observation
  • +2 Medicine
  • +2 Meditation

You Question My Logic? :
I awarded whatever I saw, but if you feel I missed anything, feel free to let me know.

Lores: Kidnapped by a Giant Black Bird, Flying to The Spires, Kissed by a Naked Magical Man, Aidara: Daughter of Shealynn, Shealynn: Priestess of Caiyha, The Sound of Sira and Natalie's Death, Evil Bird Mutants, The Voices of Birds, Lord Crow, Yaweat = Eywaat, Kidnapped by Eywaat, Opening Yourself to Rak'keli

Gnosis: Tatani - Rank 1
The mark appears in the form of a golden feather, with bluish tints to it when the light hits it just right, growing from the left ear.

Loot: 1 Lovebird

Notes: Never seen so many mods in one thread, lol. Sorry you had to had to wait so long for this to be done. You can keep the bird, as I'm sure it was intended anyway. The bird is bonded to Aidara, and will follow her around, and it could also be trained if you want to train it. It's just a normal bird though, and nothing special about it.. as far as you know >.> Have fun talking to birds, and keep writing!

Notice

As per the request of the Founders, threads cannot be graded unless your CS is up to date. This means you need to add threads to your thread list when you make new threads, keep your skills up to date, ledger, living expenses, ect. If you aren't up to date, you'll get a PM from me before i grade your thread. If you are up to date, disregard this notice.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous