Kelvics and Morphing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Zerren Verre on June 21st, 2012, 3:48 pm

So, my question is about what happens when a kelvic tries to learn morphing magic. Actually, there are a couple questions I have on that subject.

1-Does a kelvic's animal form count as "learned"? Allowing them to change pieces of themselves to that animal without having to practice as much at getting it perfect? Or would the difficulty just be changed because they would have a tough time doing a "partial shift"?

2-Would shifting forms in the kelvic fashion act as a hard reset for morphing? In other words, could Zerren learn how to change into a mouse and then shift to panther and instantly back to human? Or are there stranger effects?
Zerren Verre
Player

Words: 40899
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2012, 9:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Nai'shee on June 21st, 2012, 3:54 pm

1-Yes, I think. Ordinary Kelvic can half-shift or shift just some parts of body which is pretty much the same as morphing (not sure if it's valid, but I've seen it in threads).

2-I think you cannot. I'm not sure with this, but performing magic while in animal form wouldn't result the best. Kelvics are anyhow race which isn't too capable of magic, they are usually not skilled, so I doubt any would be able to do it, even if theoretically possible.

This is my opinion on those, but since I'm not sure better wait for somebody colored to reply.
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Macabre on June 21st, 2012, 5:53 pm

Kelvics CANNOT half-shift. Their shift is done all at once, and it is not like morphing. They go up in a flash of djed, if you will--one second they're an animal, the next they're human. Kelvics are not able to stop halfway, be anthropomorphic versions of their animal selves, or whatever. They need to learn morphing in order to do that.

I don't know how morphing would act as a "reset". I don't know anything on the subject; I just came to clear up what Nai'shee is saying. It isn't valid, and whoever's been writing it in threads should be alerted that they're doin' it wrong.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for!
we do what we must, because we can. for the
good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.

kalinor lore | the symenestra | faq | office
Macabre
That's funny, I don't feel corrupt.

Words: 52332
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Zerren Verre on June 22nd, 2012, 2:49 pm

Thanks for clearing up the half morph question macabre, I was wondering if that was really permitted without morphing.

And i hope I get my answers too, they apply to a thread I'm already in the middle of... :lol:
Zerren Verre
Player

Character sheet

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Gossamer on June 22nd, 2012, 5:38 pm

Until you get morphing up to a significant level (I believe its somewhere in the 25+ points range or higher but I'd have to look it up) you can't change SIZE. Meaning shifting from say a wolf to a mouse woudln't work... you'd be able to shift to a mouse the size of your total current human body weight until you got more points... plus.. at lower levels, Morphing only involves subtle changes like nails to claws or growing fur etc. The amount of skill needed to completely transform your body is pretty significant especially if your changing organs like say adding gills etc... which is a hellishly difficult thing that takes a lot of study to figure out. Morphing allows for NO INSTANT SHIFTS. Most shifts take quite a long time. The only transformation on the game that's instantaneous is the kelvic animal to human form.

Please read the morphing page carefully. All the answers are there.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Verilian on June 23rd, 2012, 3:27 am

So basically you're asking if you can cheat? You want to morph your body in one form.. say, you are a wolf and you turn your paw into tentacle. But then instead of slowly unmorphing, you want to shift into human form and be fully human, not a human with a tentacle instead of a hand. Or, you want to be in wolf form and then fully morph your body into a mouse, then shift into human form and expect to be a human, fully unmorphed, instead of a mouse? I'm thinking either you couldn't shift at all, or if you did shift, whatever you morphed would stay morphed.

I only chimed in because I don't think Goss fully got what you were asking, which was if you could cheat.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Kelvics and Morphing

Postby Zerren Verre on June 24th, 2012, 3:53 am

@Gossamer- Thank you for the answers you gave. I was aware of the limits to morphing based on the level one has in the magical skill, but it's always nice of people to remind others of things they might be forgetting :). My character actually IS a kelvic though, so Verillian's answer is a little bit more useful in this situation. Thank you for taking the time to answer though! I really appreciate that you would take the time to do so.

@Verillian- I didn't mean it as a cheat, your answer was actually exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. I wasn't sure if the decision was that, since morphing changes your form and kelvic shifting changes your form, whether the two would cancel out or combine.

So if I have leave to either of the answers, I think I'd like to take the combination one (Where anything I changed would remain changed). Which would be interesting in and of itself. Actually, significantly more interesting than a hard reset!

Though with the chain of thought, I would like to ask what your opinion would be if i was using morphing to create panther like characteristics (e.g.-growing panther fur, claws, teeth, etc.). Would my shift to panther then give me double that characteristic? Or would it just even out since I was switching into that form? And would it still be there when I shifted back into human?

(Also, thank you as well for taking the time to give your detailed answer, I hope you'll take the time to help me straighten this out in my head the last little bit here...)
Zerren Verre
Player

Character sheet