The Road Less Traveled

Brodon tracks down old partners for new adventures

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Phinehas on July 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Phinehas had stopped in Ahnatep to allow his horse rest and drink. He made the rounds between the bigger cities whenever he didn't have a client, always looking for one. He had been there for one day so far, and hadn't really looked for work yet.

He was atop his horse, a beautiful and strong Gildling, trotting slowly among the people when the word 'guide' caught his ear. He stopped and turned around, pulling down the clothe that covered most of his face.

"You need guide?"
He had a thick Shiber accent.

"I will know the way. Where is destination?"
He smiled as he spoke, trying to sound as lively as possible. He tended to get more customers that way.
Phinehas
Player

Words: 2423
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2012, 12:26 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Brodon Windriver on July 23rd, 2012, 12:22 am

Brodon smiled to himself, thinking in Pavi, 'This man will make my common sound well-schooled by comparison.'

Turning to Vins, he smiled, noting a hint of unease in the Dhani's demeanor. 'He probably is unsure of his reception. Perhaps he has not heard the old Drykas saying, 'Common enemies forge friendships'. Those that hired him to take me are now most likely after him as well.' It was time to settle this. He strode up to Vins, hand extended. When the Dhani cautiously took his hand, he pulled him into an embrace, laughing and slapping him on the back. "You are not having a mount, my friend, but you ask of us of OUR being readiness. You are welcome for to come along," he looked the question at Gracen, "But I am not seeing the way for it. Are one of these horses yours?" he waved at the railing nearby where he had his horse tied moments ago.

He turned back to the man offering to guide and pulled himself into the yvas, his horse instinctively leaning and stepping to aid him. Once mounted, he asked, "We were being of thought to need going to where the caravans are coming and going for this. Are you a guide, where it is a job? Or are you a man that simply is knowing the ways to Yahebah and wants company?"

He sidled over beside Gracen and nudged him, switching to Pavi now, hoping only Gracen would understand. "Did you expect it to be this easy to find a guide? Do you know this man?"

"Carrying an angry load, keeps you on an angry road."
Brodon Windriver
It's your move...

Words: 251972
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2012, 5:41 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Journal
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Ispsyavinsens on July 25th, 2012, 10:21 am

Vins froze as Brodon pulled him into the embrace. He was still startled upon release and immediately set to straightening his clothes in a poor attempt at feigning composure. The attempt only lasted until he heard the offer to join them in their journey to Yahebah.

"Euh?" Could he really do that, just leave and go to Yahebah with them, he wondered. "That is sudden."

He'd need a horse or a mule, and supplies for both himself and the animal, and he'd need them quickly. If they were really leaving today he would not have time to steal what he needed, and they would have to be bought. There might not be time to look for a deal and he'd have to settle for a higher price, which could mean going without something later as he no longer had money for it.

Vins covered his mouth as he thought. On the other hand, this was a chance to learn more about the incident and his admittedly small reputation in Ahnatep had suffered from looking like a snitch. Subsisting on petty theft was barely living at all.

There was so much that could go wrong either way.

"I do not have a horse. Would have to buy one." That was the first thought to successfully make its way to his mouth. By the time Vins was done with his inner debate another horse and rider had appeared. The dhani looked up at the horseman.

"That is very timed. I did not see you there for a moment."
Ispsyavinsens
Player

Words: 13492
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2012, 3:18 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Nayato on July 26th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Timestamp: 25th day of Summer, 512 AV

Nayato hadn’t actually arrived at the city to stay, he simply wished to gather supplies so had pitched his tent near the entrance of the city where the sand teased the stone pathway. He was a solitary man who only ventured to land to find supplies or make money of the pelts he had hunted down. He had arrived during nightfall which spurred him to forgo entering the city until the sun rose. Spending most of the night reading over the scroll that he had recived from the ghost whom he had helped pass on into the after life some time ago. Falling asleep as he studied until the sounds of incoming travelers entering the city past his tent woke him up. With a yawn he began to break down his tent putting all of his belongings in place along his Eyktolian Desertbred, named Tsutla, saddle.

Entering the City he did what was necessary refilling his water skin as well as his own water bladder that all Chaktawe had inside of their bodies. After his thirst was satisfied he headed to the Pavilion market place to buy: a two pound sack of Buckwheat flour, Two pound sack of cheese, and two pounds of goat lard Goat Lard.

Storing all of the items carefully into his backpack he led his horse to by its reigns as he walked though the city. His jet black hair hung naturally down to the middle of his back. Unlike the rest of his hair he had one simple braid that held a Black feather tied onto the end on the left side of his head. The black paint on his face, made from the shell of a black beetle were panted on his face and body, Signifying he is of the Kalanue Tribe.

A group of people ahead of him caught his eye as he walked forward resulting in him slowing his pace, turning his head to his horse to guide her into a slow walk. Turning back to the others as he simple gave them a solemn head nod and greeting.

"Greetings."

OOCBought Items-
  • 2 pound sack of Buckwheat flour for (1 gm/lb) = 2 gm
  • 2 pound sack of soft cheese for ( 2 sm/lb)= 4 sm
  • 2 pounds sack of Animal Fat/Goat Lard for (1sm/lb)= 2sm
    Total to be subtracted from ledger= 2gm.6sm
Nayato
Embracing Eternity

Words: 146321
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Gracen on July 29th, 2012, 6:11 am

Grace gave Brodon a bemused shrug. It did seem strange that as soon as he said guide, they were tag-teamed by a Benshira and a Chaktawe in a pincer attack. Normally he would say that was too good to be true, that they were likely in cahoots to lead the three of them out into the desert to steal their shit and rape their butts, but it just didn't make sense. Perhaps one of his random good deeds had paid off, after all, and he knew that the three of them would not be easy targets for treacherous foolishness.

"We're going to Yahebah," he told them all, deciding to go with his gut and just go with hit. "Master Dhani... what is your name again? If you change into your snake shape, you can ride pillion on my friend here." He patted the Zavian's rump. "We can carry what you have on you; if you have much more, though, we might as well get you a horse."

In fact, he was eyeing Vins' clothes to see if he couldn't knot together a saddlebag in which to carry a snake of his size.

"Well," he said, looking around, "I'm going to Yahebah. Brodon might be going to Yahebah. I don't know about the rest of you, but strength in numbers, right?"
Gracen
You can run, but you will only die tired.

Words: 50800
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Brodon Windriver on July 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm

"To Yahebah, yes, I am going." Brodon confirmed, "But first, I am forgetting my needing to restock. I am coming to this Pavilion for supplies. The Pressorah was-..."

He suddenly remembered protocol, "May Her Glory be Outshining the Sun....was kind enough to be paying for my costs of hospital...izing and my rooming at Mahibre's inn. Also she was being keeping Lovaak and Prombus cared for well."

He patted his horse and turned to lightly caress his pigeon's chest, who cooed warmly in response. "In truth, it is this lastly considerations I am being the mostly grateful for."

He hesitated a moment, remembering what he had been getting at. "But, it still was using up the rest of my foods and such things. Fair is fair I am saying, but still I must resupplies myself. I will be hoping you will be all arranging things as must be readied, I will return shortly." He gave all four men a nod and turned towards the vendors' stalls.

OOCplease see My Journal for list of purchases. Linked under avatar (can't seem to put link within scrollover text)

Brodon Windriver
It's your move...

Character sheet
Journal
Donor (1)

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Ispsyavinsens on August 9th, 2012, 8:43 pm

"I do not have much," he admitted to Gracen, "but need to say goodbye to people." It was the absolute least he could do, anyway.

"Also would not like to spend so much time as a serpent. Like having legs and like talking. How long do I have to get things in order?"

As little as there was keeping him in Ahnatep, he could not go charging off immediately. At least not unless he was pressed.
Ispsyavinsens
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Gracen on August 10th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Of course, he was the only one ready to go. But he was a gypsy, and the road was his home. His home, the road. When he thought about all of the people he had come upon in his travels, these hardly seemed the worst or least reliable, so it seemed a wise decision to accommodate their needs for preparations.

He nodded.

"At midnight?" he asked. "The desert sun is a killer in Summer, but the nights are easier to handle."
Gracen
You can run, but you will only die tired.

Words: 50800
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Brodon Windriver on August 11th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Brodon returned, his bags newly filled with a variety of trail foods, for both himself and his animals, the bags of feed slung symmetrically over both sides.

"So do we be leaving immediently, or are we waiting for it getting cooler in the night." Hearing a general consensus that night travel would be preferred, he turned to Vins with a somewhat troubled look.

"Vins, my friend, you are facing problem, yes? Let me be asking you, do you think you are having things for selling to be getting horse money? Maybe even you have a house in Ahnatep, or a tent? Mine is being big enough for four men. It is the Drykas way to have extra room for needs.

"Do you think you are coming to be back here anytimes soon? Maybe you be approaching people looking at inns for rooms to stay and be offering goodly deal for it? Or go to pavilion and be checking the announcings for maybe people wanting such things?

"Is just a thought, selling home, but I am not seeing you riding double across desert on my 'Lovaak'."
He patted his mount's neck and gestured at the others, "Not either, I am thinking, are they wanting the same. Maybe, if you are starting now, you can be getting horse by nightfalls."

OOCI think, since you have less than 50 posts, you can cash out your house, since you can still change your 'starting package'. This is, of course, only if you want to.

Brodon Windriver
It's your move...

Character sheet
Journal
Donor (1)

The Road Less Traveled

Postby Ispsyavinsens on September 11th, 2012, 6:29 am

Vins nodded to Gracen and Brodon and ran off. The Pavillion generally did not sell farm animals or horses, as far as he knew, but he had heard of someone who might need to get rid of a horse in a hurry.

The Pillars of Dust was not a place Vins had visited for a while. He had kept his head low for some time now but the thought of venturing into the Pillars still unnerved him; he might run into the contact that had set him up for that certain assassination gone wrong. However, he also knew of a horse thief that usually had a nag or two that he needed to trade. Such a purchase came with the risk of incuring the wrath of the former owner, but since the plan was to also leave Ahnatep it would be but one more problem put behind him.

Vins shuffled through the cracked sandstone ruins, tugging on his hood to keep it up and trying to remain cool despite the cataloging glances of .
Tsarkas was napping in the shade of a crumbling building when Vins found him. The dhani's stomach did a flip as he approached but the sight of two bony horses hitched next to him did get his hopes up.

"Tsarkas?" Vins asked.

The epharyian spat at the ground and sized up Vins quickly, who bowed as he did so. Tsarkas made a smile that looked more like a sneer as he shuffled over.

"What're you lookin' for?"

"I heard that you have a horse to sell."

They dropped their voices as they discussed the trade, and after much grumbling on both of their parts Vins walked away with a good deal less coin but a skinny horse. For once it felt like everything was going as planned and that had his insides twisted in knots.

The mare kept bucking and whining after changing so many hands in such a short time and took up most of Vins' attention. He failed to notice that he was trailed all the way back to the Pavillion.
Ispsyavinsens
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext