Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Nate decides to take charge of his future and seeks out proper employment.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Postby Nate Frostfawn on July 3rd, 2012, 1:02 pm

5th of Summer, 512AV

Nate was nervous. He was never nervous. Even when he had a wolf bearing down on him he hadn’t been nervous. This situation was different though. It wasn’t life or death, but it was his future.

Nate had decided that the time had come for him to take things into his own hands. He had been hunting for the hold for a while now, but his mother had dealt with the technical side; Nate just killed stuff. He was 19, more than old enough to handle it himself. Many other Vantha took charge of their lives at much younger ages. It seemed Nate had gotten a little comfortable.

As it was, he found himself searching out the Hold leader. Nate had grown up in Frostfawn Hold, and as such Kayin was a very familiar face.
Nate stopped a few people as he went, asking if Kayin was anywhere nearby. Hopefully he would find someone who knew and could take him to the man, or he would hopefully happen across the Hold leader himself.
Nate Frostfawn
Player

Words: 49409
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Postby Valkyrie on July 3rd, 2012, 4:37 pm

A tall Vantha man leaned against a hallway corner languidly watching the younger stop passers-by. He hazily recognized the young man as a youth of Frostfawn, he was certain that he had seen the younger man around the Hold before. Most Vantha knew everyone in their Hold but he never liked to trouble himself with the younger generations. The languid man was Yoh’vahn, lead hunter for Frostfawn and thus Avanthal. Yoh’vahn’s interest was piqued when he heard the man ask for Kayin so he stopped to watch what happened. The poor boy didn’t seem to be making any headway in finding him so Yoh’vahn determined that he had best come to his aid.

With a large sigh Yoh’vahn pushed himself away from the hallway corner. He had to wait for a small herd of dogs to pass by before he could take the few strides that separated him from the young man. Approaching him, Yoh’vahn noticed that the man was almost as tall as himself, a height rare among the Vantha. Though judging by the color of his hair Yoh’vahn suspected that there was more than just Vantha in his blood.

“Did I here you say you’re looking for Kayin? What do you need him for?” Yoh’vahn asked as he neared the boy, direct and to the point. That was his way; he didn’t like small talk or sugaring up his words. He eyed the boy slowly, Yoh’vahn’s years of tracking game had given him a sharp eye for judging people as well. The young man wasn’t poorly built and seemed like he was used to athletic endeavors though he was by no means seasoned. Yoh’vahn crossed his arms in front of his chest as he stared at the boy.

Edit: Fixed typo.
Last edited by Valkyrie on July 3rd, 2012, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Postby Nate Frostfawn on July 3rd, 2012, 5:04 pm

Nate's nervousness was gradually giving way to frustration. Not a single person seemed to know where Kayin was, or if they did they chose not to tell him. Nate was about to give up and just go back to his room when someone turned the tables and approached him.

He immediately recognised the man as Yoh'vahn, the lead hunter of Frostfawn. Nate knew the man, not personally, but he knew him. He had always aspired to one day become a hunter as great as him, and the boys eyes held a touch of surprise as the older man stepped over.

"Ah, yes sir, I am." Nate paused as the hunter looked him over, apparently scrutinising him. There was no point in launching into great detail about the why's; Nate knew that Yoh'vhan liked to be direct, his questions only reinforcing the fact.
"I'm after official employment. I want to hunt for the Hold and earn my own wage." Put into simple terms, that was true enough. There was definitely more to it, but there was always a time and a place for personal explanations and Nate sensed that this was not one of them.
Nate Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Postby Valkyrie on July 3rd, 2012, 6:28 pm

”I see. Well I’m lead hunter of the Hold, and no one hunts for us unless I say so. Kayin wouldn’t dare give you employment without my permission. I like to keep a tight eye on the hunters of our Hold. The other Holds may see hunting as a bit of a sport, but we Frostfawn know better. I should hope you know better too. Hunting is a necessity of life, it feeds our people and keeps them alive when the crops yields are low.” Yoh’vahn spoke slowly, making sure the young man would take in every word that he said. He took hunting very seriously, perhaps too seriously according to some. But Frostfawns valued animal life and taking it was no laughing matter.

“You need to always remember to respect the animals that you kill and never kill more then you need. Hunting in the tundra is a tricky matter. We need to take enough to survive, but if we take too much the animal population won’t be able to recover. Life in the snow isn’t any easier for them then it is for us. Food is scarce for the prey as well.” His speech continued on in a loud drone. Yoh’vahn gave this speech to all who sought work hunting game in the sparse forests and tundras surrounding Avanthal.

“Say, what’s your name anyway? I know I’ve seen you about the Hold before but I can never keep track of all you young ones.” He added the last part almost as an afterthought of politeness. If the boy wanted to be a hunter, Yoh’vahn would know who he was so he could continue to check in on him. It was difficult to keep track of someone you didn’t know the name of.

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook

Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Postby Nate Frostfawn on July 3rd, 2012, 7:32 pm

Nate couldn't help the slight widening of his eyes as the words flowed from the older man. He nodded vigorously, but said nothing for fear of interrupting. He had never known anyone to speak of hunting in such a way. Yoh'vhan was extremely serious, and if Nate didn't know better it sounded almost like there was no passion behind it. However one didn't get to be the lead hunter without loving what he did.

"Yes sir, I understand it very well. I am always careful not to aim for more than what's needed. And I never take anything that has young." The lessons were ones he had learned a while ago, so long in fact that he couldn't remember if he had read them or been told them.
"My name is Nate. Uh... Nathaniel Frostfawn." He paused and then added as an afterthought, "My mother is Natalia, one of the falconers." If he didn't keep track of the younger Hold members, perhaps he knew the older ones better.
Nate Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Taking Charge (Valkyrie)

Postby Valkyrie on July 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Yoh’vahn made the boy wait in silence for a few moments before slowly nodding his thread. Hunting was very important to him and he liked to make the new hunters a little nervous. He wanted to make sure his words had an impression on them. Though he had been through this so many times he knew it by rote.

“Alright Nate, you seem a decent enough sort to not bring shame on the Hold. Remember what I’ve said and we won’t have any problems. Now be on your way. I will speak to Kayin myself and let him know I’ve taken you on.” Yoh’vahn said and finally broke out a smile when he finished. He figured he had made the boy sweat enough, no need to be excessive about it. He unfolded his arms and gave Nate a friendly pat on the shoulder. Nodding his head in goodbye, the two men parted.

Thread Award

Nate Frostfawn :
Experience
2 Investigation
1 Rhetoric

Lore
Seeking Employment
Yoh’vahn Frosfawn: Leader Hunter of Frostfawn
Don’t Hunt More Than You Need

Other
N/A

Notes: Congratulations! You are now employed as a hunter by Frostfawn Hold. You will need to complete a minimum of two job threads in order to collect your wages at the end of the season.

Please send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns. :)

Valkyrie

Office
Scrapbook