Travel Times - NEED FOUNDER INPUT

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Gossamer on June 12th, 2010, 10:49 pm

While the Muran Deer haven't been written up really, I'd estimate they can fly 20-40 mph or a bit faster for shorter periods of time.

Wind Eagles can fly on average about 50-80 mph and can dive at almost 200 mph. This is roughly double what a normal eagle can do, so I'd suggest that its possible for them to be even faster.

As far as how long they can travel per day, I'd say at normal cruising speed they could go all day, but really breakneck it would be a shorter distance.

You'd have to talk to Liminal for Akvatari numbers and Gillar for zith numbers.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Liminal on June 13th, 2010, 2:09 am

Four days is about right actually from Sahova to Sunberth, Dusk. But if you have gills, swimming 400 miles really isn't much of a problem...

Akvatari can fly about 25mph over distances. They're awfully tough, so 12-hour travel days are possible. Which would make...300 miles in a day if they weren't doing anything else but flying.

Also, here's an older version of the distance chart with more places on it: http://www.mizahar.com/w/index.php?title=Distance_Chart&oldid=3941

I chopped it a bit for the wiki so it would fit better, but that should give you a check on the numbers. :)
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Dusk on June 13th, 2010, 3:11 am

...I just spent two months expanding the distance chart to include those cities. Giving me this when I'd originally posted this and was asked to include the rest of the cities would have been helpful.

*facepalms*

Okay. I'll use this then. And start over. :)
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Liminal on June 13th, 2010, 3:38 am

*shifts awkwardly*

I...erm...didn't know you were still working on this? Or forgot? Or....I was at home watching television at the time the crime was committed?

>.>
<.<
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Garador on June 13th, 2010, 3:48 am

Can I get Denval in this project of yours? It will help me should my concept be approved. I'm still not totally sure where it is exactly in relation to the other points in Kalea.
Garador
Player

Words: 2074
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2010, 12:30 am
Race: Human

Postby Dusk on June 13th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Liminal - TV is totally a viable excuse :P

Garador - Denval is on the map. Just check the Wiki for the Cities of Mizahar map (I would link you, but I'm on my parents' crappy broken computer, just use the search function and look up "maps").
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Cayenne on June 13th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Just a few things, and you're probably going to utterly hate me by the end of this short post. So I'm bribing you now with cookies, strawberry shortcake, and homemade marshmellow.

Chabosa was renamed Charbosi in the development phase, and it's actually not located on mainland Falyndar... but it's way down on the bottom of the Faleyk Gulf, probably some thirty miles off-shore on the ocean's floor. The map needs to eventually be updated to reflect that, but there's been so much going on that it's kind of taken a back seat.

Second, you didn't have to include Syka on there - it's not a city... just a battle memorial. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Dusk on June 13th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Heh. Fun. Okay, deleting rows is way easier than recalculating them.

All right, does anyone else have ANY other things that I need to know about your cities, the distance chart, the map, or anything that might have ANYTHING to do with this project? :P

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Griffith on June 23rd, 2010, 1:17 am

Two things, Dusk. Sorry.

First, could you perchance include Hai in there?

Secondly, how did you come to 96 days for travel from Riverfall to Ahnatep while only having 28 days from Ahnatep to Yahebeh? I ask because it only takes 52 days to get to Ahantep from Syliras, somehow, and because that's suddenly a whole season a group of people might have to spend traveling soon.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Dusk on June 23rd, 2010, 1:04 pm

Okay, lemme say this again...

ANY city that is on the map is included in the distance chart. If you guys would actually read the more recent posts in this thread instead of just the first one, and click on the link I posted to the very elaborate chart I worked on for most of the spring, you'd see that. :)

Secondly, the charts in the first post are both wrong and incomplete, as has been discussed, again, in the posts that followed it. Don't use them. They're not approved. I have deleted them to keep people from being confused by this.

Thirdly, if you think it's NOT going to take most of a season to walk from Syliras to Ahnetep, you're crazy. That's half the length of the continent. In more understandable terms, that's like walking from New York to Seattle. :) In the current incarnation of the travel chart (which is by no means official) my calculations say it'll take about 60-65 days on foot. Assuming you don't run into any trouble on the way, which is highly unlikely! :D

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

PreviousNext