Travel Times - NEED FOUNDER INPUT

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Griffith on June 23rd, 2010, 4:31 pm

Ah... Well, the "whole season" comment was directed at the trip from Riverfall to Ahnatep. And from what I saw of most of the follow-up posts, it seemed to mostly involve discussion of expansion and saying that the sailing times were off. Thought the walking times might be accurate.

Sorry for asking a pointless question, then. But I do have one more, for the sake of personal calculation: is the ground covered on foot still be treated as 50 miles per 12 hour day in the next version?
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Dusk on June 24th, 2010, 3:33 am

That is the assumption of travel over flat, unobstructed terrain. However, you know how often THAT happens. :) So most of the distances will have adjustments for terrain.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Griffith on June 24th, 2010, 3:37 am

Hmm... Well, alright. That helps. Thanks for clarifying.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Basiliscos V Argomedo on August 6th, 2010, 6:06 am

If realism is the largest concern in travel times, walking 50 miles a day seems extremely generous. Purely the walking portion would have a very high caloric requirement, close to 5,000, but that should be adjusted for weight. This would also suck up lots of time and energy for the hunting, gathering or fishing required to find and prepare that much food, making 12 hour walks extremely difficult. Water would be simple if you were taking a route along a river, which is popular for that reason.

50 miles a day would be the equivalent of a forced march for experts trained for that sort of thing, and even then, the very best trained marchers would only be to keep that pace for a few days. Keeping a pace of 20 miles a day is much more realistic for an experienced, well trained walker. Distance covered is the largest concern, walking versus running doesn't matter that much, as they have similar energy requirements for similar distances.

Things aren't all that much faster with horses either, simply because horses have to eat a great deal, and without a constant source of high quality grains, it takes them a long while to do it. They also tend to get tired faster when carrying people.

Of course, this would mean travel between cities would be discouraged more so than it is now, but it doesn't make sense to have land travel times be so close to sailing travel times.
Basiliscos V Argomedo
There's an ant crawling on my moniter.

Words: 12976
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Previous