[Development] Pre-Production

A place for PCs to contribute to the city

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Postby Colombina on July 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

City Development

"I'm On a Boat, Chupras! And it's doper than yours! Now play me some more Lil Wayne, Piper."

This is a place to pitch ideas for NPCs, locations and plots you would like to see in Ahnatep or are itching to develop. I will occasionally posts specific requests for contributions.

If not in response to a requests, please throw out an idea first for review before doing a bunch of work on it. Asking people to unravel their work is one of my least favorite things. And you wouldn't want to make the mer-badger melancholy.

Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Thalia on July 23rd, 2012, 7:20 pm

I would really love to develop a library for Ahnatep, with your permission!

I've come up with a few ideas so far. Perhaps it could be a library that's open to the public, but you need to pay a small fee to gain entrance to it. If you want to copy out books, it would be double the price of the book (another library in Mizahar does this, and I thought it was a smart idea). I was also thinking that it could have been constructed by a former Pressor with a love of books/knowledge - or he may have just fancied himself a writer.

Some notes on the books themselves:
  • Most are written by Eypharians (esp. noble & Gilded Eypharians) with a typical Eypharian bias
  • Large section on the history of Ahnatep/Eyktol, Ahnatep politics, Ahnatep mythology/lore, Ahnatep culture; Info on other races, cultures, and cities (often condescending); desert lore
  • Some books on religion/gods & goddesses
  • Many personal stories/journals/memoirs written by amateur Eypharian writers who imagine that they have talent. These writers may also have written terrible and not-so-terrible fiction and poetry
  • Many common books
  • A number of average & exquisite books
  • No Pre-Valterrian books

I'd like to include books on Magic in the library, but I wanted to get your thoughts on this. Would there be any average or exquisite books detailing magics? Or would there just be journals of wizards who practice(d) various types of magic, and the readers would have to interpret it for themselves?

I'd love to hear your feedback (and everyone else's feedback, too, if you guys have suggestions)!
Thalia
The Gilded and the jaded.

Words: 8579
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2012, 8:41 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Colombina on July 24th, 2012, 12:40 am

I think this could be great.

There is a library at the Librum with the cultist, but it's not easily accesible, so a smaller scale library with more regional emphasis would be good!
I appreciate that you have shown an understanding of scale. It should be a rad library but not rival those in Lhavit or Zeltiva, and would have a heavy emphasis on Eypharian culture. I'm a firm believer in making sure cities don't blur together, so I like that you have limited the range of volumes.

I would make one of its patrons the house of the North Winds since they are the primary paper/wadj producers. I could see a good section of dramas and contributions from their literary hopefuls over the years.

As for magic, I would have it be personal treatises on the matter and limited only to several spheres of study. As of now I list Auristics, Hypnotism and Shielding as being "common" in Ahnatep. What are some other magics that would fit the setting?

I would love to hear people's opinions on this.

Thanks for bringing a cool idea to the table :)
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Surei on July 27th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Looks promising to me! I personally agree on the limited access to magic treatises and typical Eypharian take on everything. Now, we need that one NPC that really stands out at the library. One of those less than shiny fiction writers maybe? Who is so warped in self-glorification that he can't think straight.
Surei speaks: Common | Snake-Tongue | Arumenic
Surei
Neither right nor wrong.

Words: 17494
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Colombina on July 28th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Name Me!

So Surei has thrown a bit of Eyktol Flora my way. I was about to name it and come up with a short story behind the name (think like the narcissus myth), but realized you guys might have something rad!

So here's the facts on the plant:

Seasons: Blooms with spring and lasts until early summer.

Appearance: A bush with sky colored flowers on thin stalks. It is rarely over five feet high, but usually grows higher than two. The hairy nature of the leaves gives them a grayish color. The leaves traps humidity and effectively protects the plant from the weather

Purposes: To be Renamed Plant has multiple uses, the most common being as a remedy for toothache. It's sap is also used by craftsmen as a glue or sealing agent. In common homes it is an inexpensive incense. Has an evergreen scent.

Clime: Mostly found in coastal and semi-desert areas, it tends to grow on slopes. Fairly common.

Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Surei on July 28th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Great job with the picture Bina! Flowers are often named after an observable characteristic they possess, or their color, right? There's two thing we could work with here: sky-colored petals and dusty leaves. So, something with Dust and/or Sky in it perhaps? I'll think about it some more and come back with a real suggestion.
Surei speaks: Common | Snake-Tongue | Arumenic
Surei
Neither right nor wrong.

Words: 17494
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadreck on August 2nd, 2012, 12:04 am

Could we get a location up for the Palace of East Winds, maybe the mines where Hadreck would be slaving away, as well as other notable locations that have to do with the Four Houses?

Just my few thoughts on what I'd like to see.
Hadreck
The Monster Inside

Words: 7488
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 4:40 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Colombina on August 2nd, 2012, 11:48 pm

Sure! I have a list of locales I'd like to get going. I can add a salt mine to that.
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Hadreck on August 3rd, 2012, 1:32 am

Awesome, I bet I'll be the only one to use it, but awesome all the same!
Hadreck
The Monster Inside

Words: 7488
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 4:40 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Colombina on August 3rd, 2012, 1:34 am

Won't be the first or last time I make a locale for one player lol. Also who wouldn't want to visit salt mines? They sound AWESOME.
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Next