Closed Open Sky Beneath The Ground

Saphtir holds an amateur performance outside her apartment.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Open Sky Beneath The Ground (Closed)

Postby Vaas on August 5th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Vaas smiles at the foreign woman when she talks to him in Nari. He runs a hand through his red hair , looks away in embarrassment, and says with a laugh in Nari to her, “Your Nari is way better than my common. Honestly, I don't talk too many foreigners since I can't really tell the difference between a foreigner and a native Inartan, so I treat everyone the same. I think your accent in your singing must of gave it away though.” He gives the foreign woman a grin, and she offers to teach him her song, and his smile widens and says to her again in Nari, “Fantastic thanks for teaching me. More than likely I am going to butcher your song, so I going to apologize ahead of time.” When she asks how he learn to play his music, he responds again to her, “I learn by listening to the music. Since I don't know how to read or write, I never learned music the formal way. It is a slow way to learn new songs, but it worked for me through the years. Let me get my flute out, and I can see if I mimic the sound on my flute.”

Vaas sets down his staff, pulls out his metal flute and a cleaning rag from the instrument case. The foreign woman starts to play her harp again for Vaas to follow. The music seemed simple enough, but will definitely take practice to learn the song. He leans over towards Kanri, gives her a gentle smile, and introduces himself softly to her, “My name is Vaas, Kanri. It is nice to meet you. I am also a local musician in Wind Reach.” He straighten up slips the rag into his flute, and says again to Kanri still focus on his cleaning, “If you feel inspiration to sing go ahead.” Vaas closes his eyes and listens to the music trying to figure out the notes.

Vaas brings the flute up to his lips, but before he starts playing. Aela pulls him over to her and whispers in his ears a word of caution about the foreign woman, and his eyes widen in confusion and curiosity. Is she really that dangerous? Why is Aela, so considered about the foreign woman? Did something happened to her that she didn't tell him? He figures she had her reasons for being cautious. He tilts his head and gives her a questioning look, but he gives Aela a nod of understanding and trusting her judgment. He grins and thinks to himself, 'Aww she worried about me.' He leans forward, puts a hand on her shoulder an whispers in her ear, “I promise I'll be careful, Aela if not will you save me?” It wouldn't be him if he wasn't joking about something. He gives her shoulder a gentle squeeze and gives her a warm smile. Hoping she sees the appreciation for her concern for his well being.

Vaas pulls away from Aela and sits cross legged in front of the foreigner. He wanted to get comfortable before he starts playing. Learning a new song is difficult process in the beginning. More than likely he will have learn what he can for now, and once he gets home practice it for hours at time. If he wants to sing the song, he will have to memorize the words she sings. First, he will learn the music, and maybe at a later date, he ask her to teach him the lyrics. Plus it would give him the opportunity to ask her where she is from. He starts thinking to himself, puts his lips up the flute, and starts trying to mimic the notes she is using. Luckily, her harp is drowning out all the missed notes and wrong notes from his flute. He knows he has skill playing his flute, but learning a new song is a difficult process for him. At least Aela and Kanri will get a good laugh out of his performance.

Vaas
Player

Words: 149196
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kanri on August 6th, 2012, 12:35 am

Kanri felt a bit out of place among the two musicians, even though the other woman was not a musician either. However, Vaas was able to "see" everything, or so it seemed, even though he was blind. He noticed everything in the room and navigated easily enough to the exact spot on the floor right into front of the foreigner and began clean his flute. When he asked her to sing, Kanri suddenly felt a little better. She didn't have a great voice but she could sing on pitch. Perhaps she would try to join in... later. For now, she sat down, a little ways away from the other two musicians, watching their movement.

As Vaas played, being close enough, Kanri can hear was missing notes, though getting quite a few right. Kanri loved the sound of the flute and the harp together. They sounded like the perfect matches for each other, the harp holding a warm undertone and the melody carried in the bright-sounding flute. After playing through the song a few times, Vaas seemed to improve immensely, at least, to Kanri's ear. Finally, she found the courage to quietly join in, her own voice much softer than either of the instruments played but not quite drowned out. Not knowing the words, Kanri only "ooh"ed the melody quietly with the musicians.

Kanri began to wonder if maybe she shouldn't pursue a musical career instead of dabbling in Glasswork and Falconry. Though she wasn't contributing much, simply contributing to this song felt as though she was part of something bigger. She was still uncertain of what she wanted with her life... Perhaps, like the Eagle in the song, she would be able to fly some day.

When the musicians finished this round of playing the song, Kanri piped up to ask Saphtir, "The yearning to fly in this song feels so real. Do you feel caged here in Wind Reach? Because I feel that way... at least, at times I feel that way. Does writing songs help you to feel free again?"
Kanri
A Sparrow Among Eagles

Words: 107623
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2012, 11:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Saphtir on August 6th, 2012, 3:43 am

Saphtir glanced up at the woman Aela, pouting slightly at the woman's apparent discomfort. It was nothing she wasn't used to, however. Her kind never quite fit in anywhere. At home only in the sky and sea, she never quite felt she belonged among the two-legged, land-bound species of Mizahar. They simply couldn't understand how trapped their existence was, unable to explore the heights of the skies nor the depths of the seas.

She hoped the people of this place, reaching for the sky and friends to eagles, would understand at least some of her pain. Though she didn't expect acceptance.

Still speaking in her limited Nari for the blind man's benefit, she said, "I try... for play slow. I need practice... more, anyway." Playing the song again would help her try to memorize the notes she had written. Perhaps she could work on improving it as well. It was only a first draft, after all.

She played slowly, singing the words softly once more, and trying to better adjust the timing of her music with the words of the song. She started noticing a few notes that felt out of place, and after making her way through the whole song again, she wrote them down in her book. She crossed out a few marks here and there, and replaced them with others, trying to make sure the flow of the music was as clean and fluid as possible.

After the second performance, she looked to the girl Kanri, considering how to answer her question. Uncertain how to find the right words in Nari, she replied simply in common, "Caged? Not... exactly..." She thought for a moment how to explain the feeling. How could she express it, to those who did not see these simple halls as an obstacle, how far away the sky seemed when there was stone overhead? Like having to push a wagon up a hill, before you could feel the freedom of the ride down the other side...

"I am used to... sleeping in a place where the sky is right outside my door," she said. "So I may simply pull myself outside, and then lift myself to the freedom above. This place..." she looked up at the stone ceiling of the corridor, pouting at how confining it felt. She didn't know how else to explain it. She knew she was not 'trapped' here per say... that a courtyard where she could take to the skies was not so far off. But when it wasn't right before her eyes, it felt so far away...

She sighed, her wings fluttering with ennui. She closed her eyes and laid her head against the frame of her harp. "But yes," she said, whispering softly as her fingers began to pluck at the strings once more. "My songs do help me to feel free..." With another sigh, she began playing the song once more, to hear how the revised notes sounded compared to the original.

Saphtir
Das Uscim Posremoc

Words: 13242
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2012, 2:34 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on August 6th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Aela narrowed her eyes towards him, a smirk forming upon her lips, as she reached up and slapped at the hand that he laid on her shoulder. She knew Vaas well enough, and he was always making jokes, even at inappropriate times. She wasn't attempting to scare him away from the woman, she seemed kind enough, however she was learning more with the days that caution was always necessary.

She looked around noticing that besides Vaas, a few others had sat down as well. She moved closer, but decided to keep standing. Her Inartan pride would never allow her to admit it to anyone or even herself, but the traveler made her nervous. She had never seen anything like it before and she was intimidated, even a little scared. Still the woman didn't seem dangerous and Aela didn't want to be of the closed minded type. The fact that she was even still standing there was a testament to this.

As the woman began to play again, she smiled as Vaas added his own music. It took him a few ticks but he seemed to catch the notes in a sense and play along.
"He's really getting better."

When the younger girl asked the traveler if she felt trapped in the city, it struck a personal cord in the little huntress. Sometimes she felt that way as well, though she wouldn't admit to it in present company. There were times, days even, that she felt trapped and cornered. It was as if she were being suffocated and could barely breathe. It was a waning feeling, but she couldn't deny that it was in her heart. The idea of travel had come into her mind more than once, and she wondered if she did would ever come back.

Aela listened closely as the traveler explained the meaning of her words. It was hard to imagine, and she could only think of it being similar to the life of an Eagle. It wasn't the same exactly, but as close at she could imagine given she spent her life inside a rock. The woman's words touched her, just as her music had. Perhaps she was wrong to worry and the woman was a gentle as the music she played. Aela huffed, blowing her bangs from her eyes and sat down beside Vaas.

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Vaas on August 7th, 2012, 2:28 am

Vaas smiles to himself when Aela takes a seat next to him. Something must of really bad happened to her if she is not trusting of foreigners; however, Vaas feels no ill intent towards him from this woman. He turns to Aela and plays a quick silly tune to her on his flute while the foreigner is taking a break. Vaas puts the flute in his lap and says in jovial tone of voice to the foreign woman, “So mysterious musician, What is your name? I can't just call you foreigner in my head all day, so spill it.” Vaas gives the woman a playful wink to let her know he was joking. He not sure if he looks like a idiot doing the wink, but he is sure Aela will let him know if he is one. Vaas is one of his “moods” of taking nothing serious accept for his music. It could be the lack of blood from his wounded hand, or it just be all the broken sleep. He has been getting lately. However, when Aela smack his hand away from her shoulder. He figured Aela was mad at his joke, so today, he will try to put her in better spirits or she will kill him. Whatever comes first.

Vaas brings the flute to his lips and his fingers play silently. Trying to replay what he learned minutes ago; however, he will never no since he played with no sound. A another idea comes to mind while he was waiting for the woman to start up again. His friends in music practice decided one day when the teacher was late to class. They would try to have a conversation with their instruments. It wouldn't last to long from the time they started because the amateur musicians normally would collapse in a fit of giggles. Vaas looks at Aela, brings his flute to his lips, and he plays a series of notes that sound like he is asking a question to her. A moment later, when she turns to him or tries to completely ignore him. He wouldn't know since he is blind. He starts playing the Inartan children song, “Happy Little Arrow in Flight”. This melody always makes Vaas a little light headed when he plays his flute. He takes a deep breath and starts playing a series of quick notes that sort of sound like a arrow taking flight. The music's tone begins to sound eager to carry the arrow through the air towards it intended target. As the arrow gets closer to the target, the music quickened even faster; however, the arrow suddenly veers abruptly left and crashes into a rock as Vaas stumbles over the last set of notes. Vaas raises an eyebrow at the last part. He thought he had that stupid little song down, but his arrow crashed and burned when it hitting the rock. Trying to get Aela in a better mood, Vaas looks inside his flute and says to her, “That explains the last measure, I think I see a clog in my flute, Aela. Can you tell me if I am right, or you Kanri?” He gives Aela a serious look of concern, and he turns in the direction of Kanri and gives her a playful grin as he shows her the flute. He starts tapping at his flute trying to get the imaginative clog out, and he starts to pouts and says to himself, “Now I'll never learn the new song.”

Vaas listens to Kanri ask the woman, but he says nothing. He wants to let the girl ask her question without being interrupted by a crazy musician. Kanri asks if she feels caged in Wind Reach, but woman says all she has to do is lift herself into the freedom above. The last few words confused him. Does she normally live in hole where she has to climb out in the freedom above, or can she fly into the sky? The people who can do that are the wind eagles and their riders. Vaas decides to stay out of the conversation and just listen to the conversation around him.
Vaas
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kanri on August 8th, 2012, 1:05 am

Kanri grinned a little at Vaas' playful antics but, being in a more serious mode ignored him mostly and instead listened to Saphtir's answer to her question. The woman had seemed to unconsciously avoid insulting Wind Reach, simply saying "This place..." then trailing off.

However, "not trapped" was the meaning behind her answer. She simply missed the sky, longed for it, but did not feel the cage Wind Reach became at times for Kanri. The cage that, even with its doors open, Kanri still couldn't leave.

Kanri thought she had found someone who understood her pain but clearly, not at all. No, Saphtir's pain was much different from her own, a different longing.

"I see," Kanri said, noncomittally. Then the woman added that her songs did let her feel free again. Kanri had gotten it half right at least and smiled at the foreigner. She also noticed that the other Inartan woman had joined the little sitting group.

Kanri turned to her for a moment. "Um, we haven't introduced ourselves yet. I'm Kanri," Kanri said, gaining more confidence now that Vaas and Saphtir both had talked to her freely. "And you are?"
Kanri
A Sparrow Among Eagles

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Saphtir on August 8th, 2012, 5:59 pm

"My name... is Saphtir," she repeated softly, wondering if they had not heard her the first time. She then listened to the man's jaunty little tune. The 'questioning' tone of it was clear, though she wasn't sure how to respond. Was this an Inartan thing? Uncertain, she simply went with her instincts, and glided her fingers across the low notes on her harp, playing in the opposite direction on the scale from what Vaas had played. It seemed like the only musical 'response' that would fit.

She then did her best to follow along the rapid little song he played, though it seemed a bit too fast paced for the gentle rhythm of a harp. She couldn't quite keep up. She pouted, disappointed in herself, and tried the tune again at a slower pace. While Vaas was apparently cleaning out his flute, she mimicked the tune in a more gentle, slow drifting. Instead of a happy arrow in flight, it was a sad butterfly, drifting on the wind. Flapping its little wings with each pluck of the strings. Her own wings moved subconsciously in rhythm with the tune, fluttering gently with each pluck of her fingers across the strings.

She closed her eyes and spoke to them softly as she played, her words coming out almost like a lilting tune in time with the music, "This place must be home to you all. So familiar with these winding halls..." Her eyes drifted upwards to gaze across her companions. "I can but hope I shall see... All the wonders this place has for me..." She drifted off into a gentle humming, her random notes drifting through the halls, carried on the wind, afloat without meaning or purpose. Ready to be caught by the ears and souls of any around her, with the hope that maybe they would find some truth or hope in the soft, meager sounds.

Finally, the drifting ended, her fingers growing still against the strings. Her wings fluttered for a moment then returned to merely swaying gently against her back. She looked upon the other musician and asked him, "Perhaps... there is a song of this place that you could teach me? Surely your friends would be eager for a more familiar sound..." She had doubts as to whether her foreign style was well accepted here, seeming so different from the fast, happy little tune Vaas had played a moment ago.

Saphtir
Das Uscim Posremoc

Words: 13242
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2012, 2:34 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on August 9th, 2012, 2:11 am

Nothing about the day seemed normal to her, and she started to wonder if it was all just a dream. Here she sat amongst others in the hallway, while being serenaded by a traveler from another world. Her butterfly-like wings continued to flutter and her flippers moved about as well. In all of this, she seemed to be the only one surprised by it. It had to be a dream, and one that was probably brought on by over exertion. Aela was always pushing herself harder than she should and it was bound to come back on her. Although a dream about a woman with wings and flippers seemed a bit odd.

She was suddenly pulled from her thoughts when Vaas asked the woman her name. She stared at him curiously, wondering if his hearing was slipping away; or if it was a simple miss that he didn't hear her the first time. She nudged his shoulder and gave him a odd look. Of course he couldn't see her face, so the nudge would have to explain her efforts.

Aela crossed her legs, and leaned back; bringing her arms back to support her weight as she watched Vaas playing around. She stared at him, trying not to laugh as he played strange notes with his flute. The little Avora wondered if she was being teased, but wasn't sure and could only wait and find out. Suddenly he changed the tune and started to play a children's song. She knew the words to the song, but wouldn't dare to sing it in front of the crowd.

She had attempted to sing in public before, but it didn't go so well, and she swore that she wouldn't do it again until she was better at it. Staying silent, she listened to him play out the song, and arched a brow towards the end when the musical arrow crashed.
"That...had to be on purpose." She thought as she watched him playfully inspect the flute for a clog. She smiled, biting back a giggle as she lightly tapped his shoulder. "Better luck next time."

Aela hadn't noticed it at first, but she felt calmer now. She had sat down and enjoyed more music along with a crowd she didn't even know save for Vaas. She had experienced a range of emotions in the short time she'd been there, and she wasn't sure what to make of it all. She looked back over her shoulder when the young girl introduced herself. She had heard the girl the first time she said her name, but was too deep in thought at the moment. "Hey, I'm Aela." She smiled to the girl before turning back to listen as Saphtir play for them again. It was beautiful, and the sound; while foreign was something she could easily become used to.

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Vaas on August 11th, 2012, 6:35 am

Feeling a tap on his shoulder, Vaas turns to Aela with mock pout still on his face. Inwardly he laughs at Aela better luck next time comment, but he is still acting the fool. He gives her a pained look, his bottom lip starts to quiver, and he says to her with exaggerated sigh, “I should just give up the whole idea of becoming a musician, and and just become a hunter since the fates clearly don't want me to master the flute.” After his melodramatics, he gives Aela a wink and says playfully to her, “Sometimes Aela you make it way too easy.” After his teasing of Aela, he turns is attention back to Saphtir and notices she is attempting to repeat the song “Happy Little Arrow in fight”. When he listens to her play the piece, he notices during the song, she is trying to repeat the pace that he was playing. When he started learning music, the masters used this song to test the young musicians on finger moment and skill level. From what he heard of her music, she definitely has a lot of potential. Before he leaves the group, he will definitely ask her to join him at the Cedar Amphitheater.

Vaas sets his instrument in his lap and listens to her strum her fingers across the strings of her harp. Vaas listens to Saphtir to play the “Happy Little Arrow in fight” much slower this time, and the mistakes she made during her first attempt seemed to fade away. Vaas is amazed at how her voice seems to meld itself with the music like her own word was apart of the piece. He needs to learn this skill. She starts talking about how we all seem at home in Wind Reach, and how she loves to sees the wonders of their home for herself. A slow grin appears on his face and he says to Saphtir softly in Nari, “When you see the wonders of Wind Reach, Saphtir, you should describe them to me sometimes.” He accepted his blindness along time ago, but it is nice to hear other peoples perspective about the world outside the darkness.

Vaas gives Saphtir and wide smile when she suggests him to preform a piece of music of the Inartans. Vaas runs his hand through his hair and starts taping his fingers on the metal of his flute. Trying to think of a song to play for them, Vaas says to her, “Right now I am only familiar with children songs, but I do have a song in mind. I could play for all of you. It is one of my favorite children song that I learned when I was yasi. It is called “Little Sparrow Lost in Wind”. Would you rather me sing the song or play it on my flute?”
Vaas
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kanri on August 11th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Kanri smiled back at Aela and told her it was nice to meet her, mostly in a reaction. Not that she wasn't happy to meet her but just a reflex to keep her manners in check, Kanri had memorized that little introductory conversation. Manners made sense to Kanri but she just wasn't the best at them, having to memorize little phrase and curb her tongue at times. Even for an Inarta, she had always been a bit outspoken at times. However, recently she had decided, so that she wouldn't hurt anyone, she would learn to be polite.

Vaas and Saphtir were back to playing again. They played a children's song I recognized, Saphtir putting her own spin on the piece. She played it slower and turned it into a conversational piece, stating her hope to explore Wind Reach. It was a collision and fusion of cultures. The Inartan didn't really have any music with this gentle, flowing grace. I wasn't a musician so I could not explain it precisely or in technical terms. It was just different. Though I said nothing more, I thought that seeing other view on the arts and life was refreshing.

As Vaas asked whether he should sing or play the flute, I felt tempted to tell him flute just so that I could try to sing along. However, it was going to be his performance so I let Saphtir decide.
Kanri
A Sparrow Among Eagles

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext