Closed Open Sky Beneath The Ground

Saphtir holds an amateur performance outside her apartment.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Open Sky Beneath The Ground (Closed)

Postby Saphtir on August 12th, 2012, 3:07 am

OOCTo make the post go smoother, I'm writing slightly into the point where Vaas begins the children's song, just so I can describe Saphtir's attempts to follow the tune. Though I'll leave it open-ended for now until Vaas's next post so he can describe what the song is like.

Saphtir considered the blind man's words, tilting her head to the side for a brief moment. She was not sure on her ability to describe anything in words. So after a moment, she gave a small nod and said, "When I see the wonders of this place, I shall write a song about them. Then I can share it with you, and you can hear the beauty since you cannot see it..."

She then gave thought to the children's song he offered to share with her. After thinking on it, she suggested, "Perhaps it would be best if you play the tune the first time, that I might learn the notes. Then, I can play the notes for you while you sing." She thought that sounded easier.

She waited until he was ready, and when he began, she listened quietly to the tune. She kept her eyes closed and her head bent downwards, tilting her ear towards him as she tried to pick out the tune. Her flippers gently moved across her harp's pedals while he played, and her fingers glided across the air right by her harp strings, without touching them. She imagined what notes she would play when it became her turn, trying to memorize them. When he finished the first playing, she would ask him to play the notes a second time to better get the idea of how they went, before she could have any confidence in attempting to play it herself.

Saphtir
Das Uscim Posremoc

Words: 13242
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2012, 2:34 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on August 12th, 2012, 8:49 pm

"Was he serious?"

Aela stared at Vaas, a serious expression forming on her face. She had only meant to tease him about it. She wasn't trying to hurt his feelings, and she knew how much being a musician had meant to him. However, just as she was about to speak, he turned and winked at her. A redness grew in her cheeks when she realized that he had been teasing her. She narrowed her eyes, lips curved into a smirk, as she pushed against his shoulder. She was surprised that she had fallen for his tease, but it wasn't always easy to tell when he was joking. Indeed, she had made it very easy for him, and she would be sure to repay him for it later. For now, she would settle in and listen to the melodies played by the two.

"Can she fly with those wings?"

Aela's eyes glanced to the fluttering wings, and flippers moving across the instrument again. It was a bit intimidating, here the woman sad stroking the harp with her fingers and flippers. While Aela couldn't even play one with her fingers. She arched a brow when Vaas said that he would sing for them. She didn't recall hearing him sing, and was curious to hear how he sounded. This was differently not the day she expected, but one she wouldn't forget either.

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Vaas on August 14th, 2012, 3:09 am

Vaas looks at Saphtir and says to her, trying to explain the song before he plays,“The song starts out slowly than gradually picks up the tempo throughout the song till the end. Where the song goes back to the same slow and gentle pace like in it did in the beginning. You'll notice the changes when I play.” He brings the flute up to his lips and starts playing the song “Little Sparrow Lost in Wind.” Vaas starts out his song with a soothing sound like a bird starting its morning flight into a calm clear morning, but after a few bars the songs notes starts to reflex changing weather as the wind and the sky starts to darken as the sparrow struggles to get back to shore. Vaas fingers start to quicken the tempo of the song as the sparrow suddenly get stuck in the storm desperately trying fight the down drafts as the sparrow fights to get above the storm. This tempo lasts for majority of the song until the sparrow makes it too the eye of the storm, and Vaas fingers slow and the pace and sound of song changes back to the same soothing sound when the bird started it's morning. The remaining bars of the song are spent in the eye of the storm. Somehow the bird was able to stay in flight in the eye of the storm until the storm breaks up over land.

Vaas opens his eyes when the song was over and smiles at everyone, “See, the song not too hard. The hardest part is in the middle when the sparrow is trying to fight the wind. The sound kind of feels like your going up a hill than suddenly the sound switches and you gradually start your decent down the hill till you make it too the bottom.” He smiles at Saphtir, and puts the flute his lap, “It took me years of practicing both playing and singing that song to finally figure it out. Honestly, I think it going to sound beautiful on your harp when you figure it out.”

Realizing, Aela never heard him sing before. He looks at her and gives her a warm smile, “Aela, you never heard me sing before. Have you? Well I better not screw up than if I want to try to impress you.” Vaas not sure why he just said that to her. Slightly embarrassed now, he turns to Saphtir and says to her, “Do you need a few more minutes to work on the song?”
Vaas
Player

Words: 149196
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kanri on August 14th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Kanri sat in awe of Saphtir's delicate finger workings, even through the air. How could you tell what notes to play without touching the strings. Her seal flippers even worked the pedals of the harp, adjusting something in the workings of the harp which Kanri was sure would change the sound.

Vaas's flute playing also sounded exceptional. While it was only a children's song, he made the tune into an ballad of how a little sparrow learned the difficulties of weather. Though Kanri knew the song, when Vaas played it, it was like he had taken something from her past and brought it back to life. She found she was almost wondering what would happen next. Would the sparrow survive the storm? Or would it be blown out to sea by the winds? Finally, it found the calm at the center of the storm and managed to stay safe.

Was that what Wind Reach was like, the calmer center of a big storm, a safe haven in a dangerous wilderness? Perhaps there was nowhere outside this circle of tranquility that was safe besides her home. However, Kanri would never know unless she left Wind Reach. Or if she asked the Foreigners who came here what their home was like.

Kanri decided she had to listen more closely next time a musician played as she began to see all the trouble put in to learning a song. Plus, listening to music helped her process her thoughts, she discovered. And with a gathering of musicians in a few days, Kanri knew she would have to attend the event.
Kanri
A Sparrow Among Eagles

Words: 107623
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2012, 11:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Saphtir on August 15th, 2012, 5:43 am

Saphtir did the best she could to work out the notes, and played a few of the chords several times in a row, asking Vaas if she had the notes right. She wasn't so sure about the speed of the middle part of the song, and her ability to keep up with it. But she nodded her assent, ready to give it a try.

When she was confident enough that she could at least make an attempt at it, she told him, "I am ready when you are..." She let him sing the words, as her fingers glided across the harp, plucking out the notes as best as she could remember them.

The beginning part was quite easy, the tune rather simple and slow. But she struggled when she reached the more rapid-paced parts, leaning forward with determination as she tried to pluck out each note without missing one. Her wings fluttered rapidly, as if she were caught in that storm. The song had an invigorating feeling to it, one that got her heart racing. She felt lost among the rapid notes, feeling certain she had lost many of them to the winds. When she finally reached the more gentle part of the song, her entire body relaxed, and she breathed a soft sigh of relief. Her wings returned to a gentle swaying, as she drifted through the end of the song and the peace that came with it.

She closed her eyes, feeling quite certain this one would take a great deal more practice. The man said he had taken years to master the song, so she couldn't possibly hope to play it properly on her first try. But it was an intriguing tune, nonetheless...

Saphtir
Das Uscim Posremoc

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on August 16th, 2012, 1:52 am

Aela sat quietly, listening as Vaas played for them again. The melody sweet and simple, but the way he played it made it seem effortless. It was as if she could see the music play out, the extreme vibrations turned into a display before her eyes.

"You're really good Vaas."

She said, leaning closer, her voice a simple whisper as not to distract from the music. She glanced around again, noticing that the small crowd was still standing around. Apparently the musicians were putting on quite the show. She closed her eyes for a bit, allowing the images to continue as he came to the end of the song.

"You're really getting good."

Aela could only look at him, fighting back the blush growing in her cheeks. It wouldn't have been as much to take, if he had said it while they were alone. But to make such a statement in front of strangers caught her off guard. She started to speak, felt as if she had to say something after he was so sweet, but he turned away and started to speak to Saphtir, and saved her from the fumbling of words that were sure to come.

She smiled and gently pressed her hand against his shoulder. She listened more, as Saphtir started to play. The notes were a bit different, but she seemed to grasp the tones that he played. It was interesting to hear, the different versions of the same song, while being played on two very different instruments.

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vaas on August 17th, 2012, 2:52 am

Vaas gives Saphtir a half grin, and says to her, “Try to play it slower this time, Saphtir. Normally, this is sung in children choirs, so it is usually sung loudly for the audience to hear. However, I am going to try to sing it deferentially. I am going to try to sing the song at a more personal level. Plus it saves me the energy of standing up.” He winks at her after saying his bad joke. He smiles at Saphtir and nods for her to begin playing her harp. The singing part of the song doesn't start till midway through the beginning bars. Still sitting, he keeps time and beat with his hand waiting for his queue to sing for them.

At his queue, Vaas closes his eyes and starts singing the song in soft gentle tone trying to mimic the sadness the sparrow might be feeling throughout the song. He starts singing the lyrics to old Inarta children song,“Little Sparrow Lost in Wind” a sad song about a little sparrow caught in a Djed Storm. The little sparrow is being tossed and thrown by the great winds never hitting ground. The sparrow prays up to the gods to let it die, but all the sparrow hears is booming voice of Zulrav in a series of flashes of lightning and thunder. The sparrow closes its eyes waiting to die, but feels it is gently embraced by light and carried to the center of the storm. When the sparrow opens his eyes, the wind has calmed, but it could see the raging storm circling for miles around sparrow and a human woman radiant white robes. The woman brings it to her lips and kisses gently, and in that kiss, it finds new found strength to fly in the storm. The woman lets it go and floats away and she vanishes. Leaving the bird alone in the eye of the storm.

Vaas finishes stops his sing right a few bar from the end, and he just smiles listening to the harp finish the song. He opens his eyes and smiles at Saphtir, “You played your harp beautifully. Unfortunately
for my singing. I screw up on a few notes in the middle. Trying to sing that part slower is much more difficult than I thought.” The average person might not of heard his mistakes, but his singing instructors and other musicians might notice the error in his song. As long as he didn't squeak that all that mattered to him. However, when he gets back to his room, he will have to practice the song again until he gets it right.
Vaas
Player

Words: 149196
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kanri on August 30th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Kanri found herself swaying slowly back and forth with the tune of the song. It was truly a masterpiece, even as a simple little children's tune. Perhpaps, as she thought about it, simple tunes were much more deep. They alowed you to find new meaning in the song each time while more complex melodies were more mood specific. And simple songs were easier to play too. So perhaps, that just made simple songs better than complex songs. Could the same be said about life? Was a simple life led among the Inarta better than traveling beyond the wall of Wind Reach?

Someday, Kanri was going to have to look beyond the walls of Wind Reach to see for sure. Not too far, perhaps. She would remain in Kalea. But she had to go beyond the walls of Wind Reach someday or she would never know.

Saphtir's harp playing complimented Vaas singing wonderfully. Kanri found herself feeling tranquil when the song ended. She nodded to herself. She definitely needed to listen to musicians more.
Kanri
A Sparrow Among Eagles

Words: 107623
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2012, 11:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Saphtir on August 31st, 2012, 12:29 am

OOC :
I think we're right about at a good closing point now, especially with Autumn about to start. Perhaps one more post a piece to say farewell? Then we can look into setting up new Autumn threads.

As Vaas suggested, Saphtir made an effort this time to play the song at a slower pace. That was easier and more natural for her, for none of her songs were ever rapid-paced, energetic tunes. Hers was a musical style of gentle grace and soft notes on the wind. It was difficult to adjust the flow, however. Changing the speed of a song wasn't just a matter of playing the same notes at a slower pace. She felt the rhythm was off, and the notes themselves might need to be changed to a softer scale, in order to support the slower tune.

She did the best she could, however, and when she was done she took up her book and began recording the notes and the words Vaas had sung. Perhaps some revision and work later tonight would allow her to come up with another version of this song, one more suited to the harp.

"I must thank you for sharing this with me," she told Vaas, bowing her head to him. "It is a lovely tale of both sorrow and hope. Perhaps one day I can share it with those who could never come here themselves to hear it." She knew she would be in this city only for a time, before she one day moved on. When she did so, she wanted to be able to bring a piece of Wind Reach with her, wherever she went.

"And I must thank you all for your kindness," she told the others. "I was uncertain of the welcome I would receive in this new place. It warms my heart to know my presence and my song were so well received. You have my blessings..."

Saphtir
Das Uscim Posremoc

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on September 1st, 2012, 2:54 am

Aela smiled and nodded in reaction to her inner thoughts of the enjoyment she felt while listening to the musician's playing. It was still a bit surprising to see Vaas, who was usually bumbling around, as a finely tuned musician who was now teaching his music to another. It seemed the blind man had many talents, though music seemed to be a favorite, besides his constant trouble with his falcon. She watched the traveler perform as well, and found that, while still a bit wary, she wasn't as bothered by her unique nature as much anymore.

Aela wondered when would be a good time to ask the woman about her home, among other things, but didn't feel like she knew her enough to ask just yet. Looking around again, she noticed that most of the people who had gathered around earlier had all gone except for Vaas, Kanri, and herself.

Maybe I'll go for a walk....There's bound to be something else to do."

With the musical mini concert over, Aela decided that it was time for her to go as well. She had set out to find something to do, and now that the display of musical talent was over, she looked to find more entertainment for the day. Standing up, she arched her back and stretched her arms and legs about.

"You guys are really good. If you ever decide to play in the amphitheater, I'll be there for sure."

Going against her better judgement, Aela stepped even closer to the traveler, she smiled kindly as she looked down at her. "It was nice to meet you Saphtir. Maybe I'll see you around the city." With those final words, she turned and headed pass the room and made her way outside. The day was still young, and there was more to do...somewhere.

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext