[The Sanctuary] Letters and Loved Ones (Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kashik on June 21st, 2010, 1:41 pm

Kashik listened to Kavala's tale of tragedy and curses, occasionally stealing a slice of carrot to nibble on but otherwise maintaining her silence. When Kav finished, she simply nodded, and settled an elbow on the edge of the table and her chin in her hand, and considered it.

A curse. Did she even believe in such things? She'd heard of those cursed by the gods, but knew they were marked as surely as those who were blessed by them - and she'd seen no such mark on Vanator's body. So it was either something outside the realm of the gods... or Ovek simply brought a balance of good luck and bad in the lives of the Denusk Pavilion. Did they consider themselves blessed when they found such love, when their days were happy, when they were safe and protected? No, perhaps they only saw the bad and couldn't see past it. She said that Van didn't believe it - perhaps it was simple paranoia, or a way of coping with the horrors she'd seen as a slave. Easier to point a finger at a curse as the source of the awful things in life than to admit that there was no reason, that life was sometimes just a series of terror and pain that simply had to be endured while one hoped for better and worked for change.

Her choice, then, was to believe in the curse or not - because there wasn't really a question of loving or not. Some part of her heart would always belong to Vanator, and no ambiguous fear of some possible future bad-thing-happening would stop her from giving him the rest of it if he ever asked for it. She was a young, strong, fierce Drykas warrior, and whether it was overconfidence or simply the nature of her people, she would not deny herself something real and amazing for fear of losing it. That wasn't the way of her people. No, they grasped life by the blade if they couldn't reach the hilt, and were grateful to live with blood-slicked fingers so long as they lived.

It had been a few minutes with only the sound of Kavala's knife slicing through vegetables to fill the silence. But she finally looked up, her eyes warm and friendly as they usually were, but there was a measure of seriousness there now that hadn't been present before.

"Thank you for sharing that with me," she said, nodding her thanks as she straightened up a little. A smile twisted on her lips, wry and understanding as she realized why Kavala might seem so stiff towards her - if she believed in this curse, she believed that Kashik was already doomed, and was trying to protect herself. "I'm sorry if my presence disturbs you," she said softly, sliding up to her feet. "I didn't mean to, I just thought... well, Vanator spoke so highly of you, I thought perhaps we could be friends. But if you'd rather not, I understand after that story. Not that it's likely I'll ever find him again," she said, covering the sadness of that thought with a bubbly laugh. "But you've shown me nothing but hospitality and kindness, and if my being here is disturbing you I can go," she said earnestly, just trying to find a way to make this less awkward, to keep Kavala from feeling like Kashik was forcing herself into her life. It was part of her nature - she always did her best to keep those around her happy, whether that meant a night of raucous drinking or quietly slipping out a side door to give them their space.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Words: 136797
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:47 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 21st, 2010, 8:50 pm

ImageKavala schooled her expression into one of having none at all. Kashik obviously believed - it was in her eyes - that love surpassed all. Kavala watched her as she told of the curse, gauging her expression, trying to guess what was in her eyes by the way they watched her. Kavala was no Avalis Seer, but it didn't take much to tell when someone wasn't going to believe something she said. Had Vanator truly told the girl about what Kavala was like, he'd have explained to her that his sister never lied. She never made things up. And she wasn't crazy. The Konti supposed most of these thoughts crossed Kashik's mind, because the nature of what she was saying was too beyond her scope of experience. The girl had probably grown up on the grass, coddled by her parents, protected by her clan. Her parents had probably even seen an Ankal's son ripe for the pickings and arranged a discrete meeting or two to ensure there was a mutual attraction. Everyone loved Vanator. How could they not? And for as many loved him, he loved as many. Her brother had a big heart. But he was also free with his affections. He'd always been that way. Obviously, on this one, it had worked.

Kavala almost smiled. How could someone be so naive? The Drykas girl - so happy and warm - thinking she could march in here and be instant friends based on Vanator's words. Who in the Ukalas was he now anyhow? They were the kind that fell the farthest and hardest. They lived such short lives, so perhaps it was best if they believed such things, though. Kavala was unsure.

But she knew the world was filled with darkness. She hadn't understood that, save only fringely, living among the Drykas. Here, with a clearer head though, she knew enough of the signs to look back and see its influence all along. Kavala knew the curse was real. Even now, it was probably touching people Vanator loved - destroying their lives, making their herds ill, laming their horses, causing them to loose their way. It would destroy Kashik too.

But instead of talking about it, Kashik seemed to think to explain her presence more carefully - more thoroughly. Kavala smiled then, finally, but it was something uncharacteristic of her. If any of her current friends would have saw the smile that played on her lips, they would have stopped in shock and swore it was some dark sister's control rather than the gentle healer they knew.

"I can tell you love him." She said abruptly. "Everyone does. How can they not? My brother is amazing. He always has been. He's smart, handsome, and knows exactly how women think and what they want. Vanator's always been sensitive to what people need. That's why hes going to be such a good Ankal. I'm sure he loves you too. I can see why. Beautiful, bold... untouched by tragedy. You are right up his alley with your forward ways and friendly assumptions. But then, so many could be and probably are." The healer said, shaking her head.

"I love my brother. But I know hes not perfect. Far from it. He has his own problems to struggle with. Do you know why hes like he is? He spent his whole life making it up to his mother why our father didn't actually love her. Our father married exactly the woman his parents arranged for him as Ankal's heir. Nadra is an amazing woman, but... Eachann can't really love her. Ever. And I bet he's never talked about his father's second wife has he?" Kavala shook her head. There was no point in going on deeper into THAT particular story.

"But to come here and think we could be friends just because he speaks highly of me... isn't that a bit of an stretch? I'm sure there's some other reason you came... otherwise he could have just sent the letter by messenger rather than by your hand." Kavala laid down her knife and turned so the scars on the scaless part of her flesh were revealed in the speckled light beneath the pergola that covered the veranda. There were hundreds of them - as if etched into her flesh with a razor sharp knife.

She tried again. "He hasn't seen me in over two years... longer if I sat down and thought about it. He doesn't know me. He doesn't know Akela. He's never asked about us, written, or looked for us. I sent letters in Mura back to father, but I haven't heard from Vanator. Neither has Akela. You haven't asked about her. She's here. We're together. And, no matter how much you assume, you truthfully know nothing of me. You might perhaps think you know the little girl Vanator remembers growing up with and you might be right. But she's dead. In so many ways, Akela is as well. We're done being little girls. We live in the world now - the real world - and understand its dangers, especially the preternatural ones like this curse." Kavala looked thoughtful as she dumped a cutting board's worth of vegetables into the soup pot and then began adding herbs to it.

When Kashik rose and emphasized the word story, Kavala smiled sadly. "You still don't understand do you? It's not a story, Kashik. It is our history. It is our life. You can leave if you want. I won't stop you and I'll understand. But the truth is, being friends is about getting to know someone - not the illusion of someone dredged out of another person's memory. And that friendship shouldn't depend on unrealistic expectations. Two years is an eternity in the context of this life. The world ended once, remember, in a single day." The Konti said, meeting Kashik's eyes and almost daring her to say otherwise. That should put things into perspective for her.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kashik on June 22nd, 2010, 1:08 am

As Kavala started lecturing her on how much she didn't know about the world, or Vanator, or her, Kashik found it a little hard to reconcile that this bitter, unfriendly creature was in any way related to the man she'd met on the plains. The Konti seemed to be making all sorts of assumptions about her while in the same breath berating Kashik for the very same thing, and the woman felt the slow stirrings of anger beginning to burn like red-touched embers in her gut.

"I never said I knew Vanator, not in any deep and meaningful way," she said, folding her hands behind her back. "I met him on the plains on my way to Endrykas, and spent less than a day getting to know him. I don't know the entire history of your family, I don't know every secret in his heart, and I never claimed to. I came here because I'd mentioned to Vanator that I would be traveling to Riverfall, and he said he had a sister here and asked me to carry a note to you. I did it as a favor, and because I thought perhaps I would find someone to call a friend while I studied here. Instead I've found someone who speaks to me as if I'm an idiot child. I've been here less than half a bell, and you've thrown your entire Pavilion's drama at me as if I'm somehow at fault for not already knowing your history! Gods, I met a man last week who I enjoyed spending time with - not someone I've fallen head over heels in love with, whatever you might assume about me - and I thought it might be nice to say hello when I got to a new city. My expectation was to maybe have someone to share a drink or a meal with. What I didn't expect was to be reprimanded for still believing that there's some good in the world."

She shook her head, still not quite sure how everything had gone sideways - when she'd arrived, Kavala had seemed eager for news about Vanator, and now she seemed to despise him for not keeping in contact with her. A strange woman, to be sure, and it was now as she looked to her again that Kashik wondered if Kavala might not be a little mad.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 22nd, 2010, 7:18 pm

ImageAhhh so the truth came out at last. A little pretender. It wasn't uncommon and decidedly wasn't the first time.

"I misunderstood you then. From what you were saying of Vanator, it sounded like you were good friends. So you know him only from a brief meeting of less than a day and yet you have the audacity to say things like "He is fine. He is strong and hale and his heart is mending..." Kavala paused, tilted her head, and looked a little disgusted. It hadn't been the first time someone had tried to get close to her brother through meeting the rest of his family and passing themselves off as a dear friend. Was she only one in a long line of sugary sweet visits?

But Vanator's letter had said the woman was close to his heart. It confused Kavala. How can they be close and yet only had a day together on the grasslands. Perhaps like herself, Vanator had changed as well. It didn't sound like him, not at all. Kavala knew Van could protect himself and had his life well in hand, but this whole thing was almost offensive to her. Ditsy women, even if they were professing to be here to study weapons, held very little interest for her. Tamar had been deep rooted, quiet though quick to laugh, and fiercely beautiful with a smile that lit up the room. This girl... just came across as trying too hard and pushing to much and Kavala felt like she was drowning in the kindness and good nature that rang somewhat false in her mind.

"So, when you say things like 'Now, I would be honored to share your bread, sister, and share any stories you might wish...' that is an open invitation that you want to hear those stories. The curse is real. No one's thrown anything at you, Kashik, but the truth and a warning embedded therein. You need to make up your mind. You either want to hear these things or you don't. But a clear indication is better than changing your mind when you decide its all bad." Kavala said, wondering if the girl was somewhat dimwitted. Wasn't Akela around here somewhere? Perhaps removing her head from her shoulders or at least threatening too would save Vanator some heartache in the near future. It wouldn't have been the first such type the two sisters had ran off. Normally, it was easily enough done. Akela dragged out one of her blades, practiced with it in clear view of the interloper while Kavala kept them talking, then came over to clean the blood off within the said target's view. If that wasn't enough, she sharpened it. Kavala almost smiled at the thought. Where was she now? This ditz definitely needed running off.

Of course, that didn't work so well when the girls were here at Sanctuary and Vanator was wandering the grasslands. Besides, he was by and large old enough to take care of himself these days... or so she hoped. A slight smile played across her face at the thought. Kashik's words brought her out of her memories, and Kavala nodded.

"We're sharing a meal. I'm cooking it, if you hadn't noticed." Kavala hadn't thought she'd have to point that out, but again, the girl did come across as a little slow. And drinking or could be if you poured yourself some wine. It's in the pitcher there, next to the mugs. Its a little strong, but its the kind the Akalak who frequently are here like to drink." She said, all but ignoring the comment Kashik made about reprimanding her. The girl just had no idea... no idea at all. Kavala was the serious one. She had deep seeded compassion and very little tolerance for bubbly bright personalities - though Flick had done her best to change that. Slowly, she was coming around and learning to smile more and join in with the laughter that sometimes filled the veranda during meal times and gatherings. But Akela would be the first to admit that Kavala had no sense of humor in that regards. She was quiet, slow to warm up unless whatever it was had fur or fangs. Kashik might assume she was crazy, but the truth was, the two girls couldn't have been more different than day and night.

Kavala had been more than nice. She'd been hospitable. She'd stabled and pastured Kashik's horse, talked to her frankly, and was now offering her a meal despite all her human rudeness and bubbly assumptions. Kavala was glad humans in general had short lifespans, in truth, because dealing with the same ones for more than fifty years would be very disturbing. She had no idea how other Konti gravitated towards them. Not that it mattered... the girl was looking distinctly uncomfortable enough (and voicing that discomfort) that she'd likely bolt any moment anyhow. Kavala glanced at the Syna. Yes... ten chimes, maybe less... and she'd be out of her hair and the Konti could get back to her work with the added bonus of having dinner for the facility already made.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kashik on June 24th, 2010, 3:26 am

"I thought it wasn't a story," Kashik said, exasperated by the woman's ever-changing dialogue and logical contradictions. "If you're going to throw my words back at me, then let me remind you of the vehemence with which you assured me that what you've told me is not a story, that's it's much more important and deep than that. Your history, you said, your life. I think you need to make up your mind - or perhaps you already have. I think you've decided that I'm just some dilettante who wants to ensnare your brother with wiles and lies. And I am not that woman," she said fiercely, the pride of her people lighting her face and blushing hot across her cheeks. Passionate, yes, it was a word often used to describe the Drykas, and she was no exception.

"I say that he is fine, that his heart is mending, because that is what he told me, and what I saw. He told me of Tamar, of his grief and a loneliness you and your sister left him with that cut through to his soul - but I also saw him smile, and knew joy with him, watched him remember what it was to open up to someone even the small amount that he did with me. Perhaps I only knew him a day, but that was enough for me to care for him. And it was because of that, not some plot to earn myself into his good graces by courting his sister's friendship, that I agreed to come here. Because he asked it of me, and it seemed like such a small thing to do for a friend."

She snorted a little, as if still surprised at what a huge deal it had turned into. But she glanced over at the pitcher of wine, and padded over to fill herself up a glass since it'd been offered. She needed it after this conversation. "I thought you would be like him, at least a little," she added quietly, her temper simmering back down as quickly as it'd flared. "I didn't think you'd be so cold and judgmental. That was my mistake, I suppose," she said with a grunt as she sipped at the wine again.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 24th, 2010, 5:00 pm

ImageThe girl was daft. That's all there was too it. Kavala smiled pleasantly and started over again, this time speaking a bit slower than before. "I've explained the difference, Kashik. Our history is important. Just as I'm sure your families history is equally important. Every story on the Sea of Grass is. We don't write things down - we can't - so our history is in our words. Stories have unbelievable power. They remind us who we are." Kavala said then began mixing up thin breadwraps that she'd fix on the hearth's skillet. She took two cups of flour, added it to a half teaspoon of salt, and then gradually blended in three tablespoons of olive oil long with enough water to make the bread a dough... which wasn't quite a full cup, closer to three-quarters. Glancing over, while she was working, Kavala gave Kashik a pleasant smile. Still here. And already clutching her wine like she needed it.

Kavala was sad in a way. Reviewing her words, she'd never been rude or came across as snarky. Even though her thoughts had been less than charitable, the woman's words were already turning mean. Leave it to a human to even turn those into a weapon.

Turning the dough out onto a floured board to work, Kavala lifted an eyebrow. "Dilettante? I wouldn't have used that word myself." It held too much class in it. Kashik was a wild eyed thing. There was no class there. She was a little too rough around the edges to consider herself refined. But, at least she had an ego. It was healthy, Kavala supposed. Perhaps it was time for a little reality check.

"I suppose you come from a good family, but I imagine by the way you move and your breezy attitude that you crawl in and out of beds like a bedbug. I can see why Vanator would have enjoyed you too. That's all it takes for a girl to fall madly in love with him... a couple hours in his bedroll. That kind of thing makes him smile... a lot. That's generally what 'getting to know' him entails. You aren't the first though. Won't be the last. And just because you have doesn't make you special. Everyone is special to him. He treats people extrodinarily well, often at his own expense." The konti said, wrinkling her nose in disgust. Humans were such filthy creatures. All it took to make them happy was a quick roll in the grass and they thought they were head over heals. Even if Vanator hadn't touched her, which Kavala couldn't imagine not happening, she still probably fell headfirst with just one of his smiles. Kavala added a sprinkle of her special seasoning to the bread in hopes of giving the otherwise tasteless wrap a little flavor, and grabbed a rolling pin to start rolling out eight inch circles. She'd toss them on the well-seasoned cast iron skillet and heat them on both sides briefly until they cooked.

Pausing, she gave the soup a stir. Kavala peered into the pot. It was going to turn out thick, more like a stew, especially since she had antelope to add too it which was notorious for thickening it further, but added a rich gamy texture. "Vanator is very human. I know this might be hard for you to grasp, but both Akela and I are not. We aren't anything alike." Kavala said. They'd been good friends... but now? He was human. Male. Only time and perhaps a reunion would tell.

As for Kashik... she rubbed Kavala the wrong way completely. She'd rarely had the pleasure of having someone come into her home and start out and out insulting her like this woman was. Maybe females were just as bad. There had been one or two she'd met and disliked as well. Nor had she ever had someone so falsely represent herself outright. And, evidently, she wasn't taking the hint to leave. Kavala wondered if it was fair to subject the other denizens of Sanctuary to the Drykas girl when everyone started trickling in for dinner or if conversely it'd make a good tale for later down the line.

It angered her a little, that Vanator was speaking to complete strangers of his dead wife. Tamar was light and laughter and a brilliant memory in Kavala's mind. The woman had taught Kavala herbalism and befriended her in a time when she really needed a friend - right after her mother's death. When she had died, so horribly - it had left deep wounds in Kavala's heart. Was he using Tamar's death as sympathy to get women to sleep with him now? How had her name come up so quickly? Kavala realized though, that she'd brought up Tamar's name first in the conversation and the girl could be lying. She could be lying about all of it, because there was always heartache on the grass. Life was short and hard, if the winter didn't take you along with some disease, the predators and enemies of the Drykas would.

She'd gotten out. And though she loved the Sea of Grass, the curse would keep her away from the Denusk pavilion forever.

If Kashik hung out long enough, she'd just become another victim of it. No doubt life would let her gel a while, bringing her into a false lull before striking. If Kavala understood the mechanisms of the curse correctly, the wheels were most likely already spinning. And the more he loved her, the more it would effect her. Despite what Kashik said about probably never seeing Vanator again, Kavala knew by the tone in the girls voice that she'd make it happen. Vanator had another camp follower in the brew here, and it didn't surprise her one bit. Easy, and lacking deep thoughts - the party girl with the wild eyes was probably just the distraction he needed. Vanator would probably never be attracted to depth and quality ever again. It hurt too much to loose that sort of woman. And this one... she'd have silly rituals - they all did - little gestures of cuteness that would probably win him over in the end. Vanator was the affectionate sort, not like Kavala or Akela. He ate up attention and couldn't stand it when someone didn't actually need him.

It was one of the reasons she'd left the Grasslands. She'd wanted to prove she could live without him. It was something she had to prove. He'd die so quickly while both of his sisters would appear to not age at all. They'd see his sons, and his grandsons, and perhaps even their children before time took its toll. Though, Vanator would have to break the curse for that to happen. And for him to break it, he'd have to unravel it and begin to believe in it. She understood, truth be told, why he didn't believe in it. To do so would be to accept something in his life was beyond his control. And Vanator was all about control. It was how he was trained to think.

Kavala gave the soup another stir and watched the girl clutch her wooden cup of wine like it was a lifeline. Good - she'd be gone soon... though not soon enough for Kavala's liking.

"If he truly told you about me, he'd have said I was the quiet one. I speak my mind and am slow to laugh or join in whatever humor is around me. My sister says I have no sense of humor at all. Maybe its true. But I take life very seriously and work very hard. Otherwise, there's no reason for me to be here... and no meaning at all."
Kavala glanced around. There was a secret fear in her of fading away - of becoming nothing and no one. Sanctuary was her bastion, her citadel of self awareness that reinforced the message that she couldn't die or disappear because she was needed. It was her driving force and her lifeline to constantly remind her that life had meaning. If she could touch just one creature here, help it, nurture it.. life was worth it.

People, though, were a whole different story. She didn't understand them and half the time didn't want too.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kashik on June 24th, 2010, 10:49 pm

The mad woman started speaking slower, as if it were Kashik who wasn't understanding what was going on. Hadn't she been raised on the grass - didn't she understand how conversations were held? For the first time, Kashik realized how very un-human Kavala was, no matter that she'd spent a childhood on the plains and been surrounded by Drykas that whole time. It was as if Kavala had only just learned the language of humans, but knew none of the nuance. She didn't seem to even understand that her comments about what her sex life may or may not be was as presumptuous and insulting as very nearly anything said to her in the last few seasons - and it was the woman's utter obliviousness to her own words that kept Kashik's temper in check this time, no matter that the woman seemed to be trying her hardest to say the most inappropriate, insulting thing she could say. But there was no use trading insults with a madwoman who didn't even know she was being insulting, so she held her tongue and let her have her awful assumptions.

"So now it's a story, but when I said it was a story it wasn't? Is it only a story when it suits you to repeat my words back, but not when I repeat yours? You make no sense. I don't need you to speak more slowly, I need you to mean the same thing each time you speak. I'm not an idiot, I just can't follow this," she snorted, finishing off the wine.

There was a moment of silence as she considered Kavala's last words, and she looked around before finding a basin of water to rinse her cup out in. "He told me you were quiet, but I think he must remember the person you were before this tragedy struck you," she said slowly, trying to be more careful with her words since every one that dropped from her lips seemed to be used against her by this alien creature. "He told me of when you were children, and would sneak off to the Watchtower. That he and Akela would tickle you until you couldn't breathe for laughing so hard."

She hadn't known she'd remembered those words until she repeated them, hadn't realized what an impression Vanator had made on her until that very moment. "And he said that you were the healer, like your mother. That you'd always wanted to help people and animals, had tended the wounds he and Akela afflicted on each other." Jewel-bright eyes raised and swept around the Sanctuary, and a smile flitted across her lips. "I can see that part of you here. The hard work you've put into it shows quite clearly. Not that I am an expert," she added dryly, almost expecting Kavala to twist the compliment with a pointed What would you even know about such things? remark.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 25th, 2010, 6:39 pm

ImageKavala raised an eyebrow. She kept cooking, which was amazing since she didn't actually like to cook nor was she very good at it. The breadwraps just kept being piled up, and when she ran out of dough, she mixed up more. It wasn't as if they'd be wasted, but they really didn't need a dozen or more to feed everyone who lived at the facility. The truth was, her hands were better served busy than free to strangle the strange girl who was in essence completely scaring the wits out of her.

Who did she think she was? Marching in here, declaring they'd be instant friends and drinking buddies, and then telling her all this personal stuff she knew about Kavala and her family. It was creepy. The woman's personality seemed to scream 'Love me. I'm beautiful. I'm smart. I know all this stuff about you. Don't you love me? Don't you think I'm amazing?' No. Just No. She didn't. She wasn't the least bit attracted to the type. They were all wind and no sails. Vanator might have bought into her crap completely, but he was a sucker for a pretty face and an easy piece of flesh. It was one of the reasons she'd left after Tamar's death to go study healing. Tamar would have wept at what Van turned to in order to ease his pain. He'd never been like that before.

Kavala suddenly knew how Flick felt when someone thought her cute enough to pet without permission and then deepened that petting into a hug that would always cause the kelvic to squeak. It was a violation of personal space in the worst sort of way. It was exactly like that... smothering, cloying, and dangerous. The woman knew things about her that she had no right to know. Personal things. Private things. Why was she telling her all this anyhow? It was beyond tacky to do so. You didn't tell everyone everything you knew. You just didn't - especially embarrassing things. Who were these Brightsmiles anyhow? She'd only spent a day with her brother and she'd gotten all this information out of him? She'd been what, five, when Akela and Vanator had used to tickle her? And when the word tragedy came out, Kavala abruptly stopped what she was doing.

She turned, stared at Kashik, and raised an eyebrow. "What tragedy are you talking about that changed me exactly? " Kavala said curiously, wondering what in the world the girl was talking about now. "And changed me how? You are starting to sound like you think your an expert on the Denusk family - myself especially - when this is our first meeting and indeed you only have known my brother for a day." She was intrigued now about this strangers opinion of how different she was from one apparent state to another - not that she expected an answer. The woman was good at avoiding direct questions.

"Look, Kashik. I don't know about how things work in your Pavilion, but in ours we tend to not come across like a tree falling on a tent. If we want to get to know someone, we sit down with them and actually talk to them not fling facts about their lives at them like weapons. It's creepy. I know absolutely nothing about you. The sole extent of the knowledge I have of you is your name and that you spent a day with my brother whom you seemed to have impressed. Kashik of the Brightsmile Pavilion, Diamond Clan. I know several Diamonds, but the clan is a big one. I know none of the Brightsmile Pavilion. I'm sorry, but your making me incredibly uncomfortable. And truthfully, you're coming off as rather unstable. Vanator isn't here to verify anything you say - and other than having his letter.... its just very disconcerting. I don't know if you mean to be this way or not, but it feels calculating. I'm glad my brother felt comfortable enough with you to share all this personal information about me with you... but it truthfully makes me glad I did leave. A sister's life should be private to her brother. And truthfully, if you were only together for a single day, I'd hope you'd have a lot more to talk about than just myself. It's ... unnerving." She couldn't stress that enough. Did Kashik even realize how forceful and demanding she sounded? It was as if Kavala didn't like her instantly, warm to her thoroughly, then there was something off about Kavala - not off about Kashik's behavior. Her own father, an Ankal, would have been scandalized if Kavala had went into a strangers home and acted thus. Vanator probably would have been as well.

It just wasn't what normal people did.

"I am an employee of Sanctuary. I do not own the place. The City itself does. Thank you, but I find it hard to understand how you can know what reflects of me here if you don't even know me. All you have is what a stranger has told you. And that stranger, unfortunately, is something of a stranger to even me now because none of this sounds like something Vanator would do - spilling my life story to someone I don't know without my permission. My brother was a very private person when I knew him. He laughed and smiled and joked a lot, but the important stuff he kept to himself... the stuff that really mattered he jealously guarded. It doesn't sound like he's doing any of that anymore. I'm glad you hit it off so well. I'm wonderfully thrilled he felt comfortable enough with you to share so much of my privacy... but it feels wrong, Kashik. It feels incredibly invasive and a lot like something he had no business to do. I'll tell him so... too... if I ever see him again."
She said, as an afterthought, at the girls attempt to compliment her. Again, more of the assumptions. Did she ever stop for a second to take a breath? To ask questions? To try to get to know someone instead of just have all these preconceived notions? Really... the girl was just too strange for words. Kavala secretly couldn't wait for Akela to come home so she could tell her about this visit. She really wasn't sure she could actually get her sister to believe her, without thinking this particular story was a real.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kashik on June 25th, 2010, 11:53 pm

As she'd expected, Kavala twisted the compliment and took it as an insult - but that wasn't what had Kashik's mouth hanging open and her eyes widening. It was yet another example of Kavala's completely contradictory words.

"But you just shared some very private information about Vanator as if it was fine for you to share, as if it were something I had not only a right but a need to know... but if I mention something I do know, you tell me it's none of my business, and that I'm creepy for knowing it? I don't... you just..." Everything single thing that came out of Kavala's mouth one moment was completely wiped away by what she said the next moment, and it seemed that Kashik was the villain here. The presumptuous, tacky, invasive, conniving villain. She was accusing Kashik of being unstable! At least the Drykas was consistent from one moment to the next.

"You haven't asked a single question about me, so don't be surprised that you know nothing about me. You've simply expounded on this curse and then immediately taken offense to everything I've said after that. You won't even take a compliment I try to give! Well, I won't bother you any more with attempts at friendliness or pleasantries," she said, setting the now-clean glass on the counter and turning towards the door. "I will find another place to let Hiloha catch his rest. I thought I was leaving him in the hands of a fellow Drykas, but obviously I was mistaken. You've nothing of the grass left in you," she said, almost sadly. Kavala was unlike anyone she'd met in all her life, not in her travels on the Sea of Grass nor in Endrykas. The Drykas were passionate, fierce, and territorial, yes, but they were also joyful, singing as they worked and smiling freely. This woman had none of that warmth - oh, she'd opened her doors, and offered food and drink, but it had no more welcome in it than the side of a blade. As well to have wine offered by a scorpion, for there'd be as much enjoyment in the sting as she drank.

"I hope that when you see Vanator again, you treat with him more kindly than you have me. He deserves better - though I'm sure all you will say is that I don't know him and so how could I possibly know what he deserves? Pfah," she said, shaking her head. "I thank you for what hospitality you think you offered, but I will take my business and my friendship where it will be welcomed instead of nonsensically lectured."

With that, she gave only a cursory bow, and turned to make her way out to the paddock to collect her Strider.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 26th, 2010, 3:03 pm

ImageKavala sighed softly. Was the woman seriously not hearing her? "Actually, I've asked you several Kashik, of which you've ignored besides the ones about why you were here in Riverfall and how you knew my brother." The Konti said sensibly. She didn't understand this woman. Too much sun? Out on the grass too long? And had she traveled to Riverfall by herself? If she left the same way, there'd be no telling if she managed to make it anywhere anyhow. And she caught the look - the 'you aren't one of us' look - that almost everyone eventually gave her who was Drykas and found out she was born on the Grasslands. It was only in Mura that Kavala had found acceptance wholeheartedly.

"The Denusk Curse is well known on the Grass. It's surrounded my family for generations. I thought I've explained that. There's nothing private about it. Don't you ever listen?"
Kavala said shaking her head, getting frustrated. No, of course she didn't. Kashik was completely self-focused. She came in like a bull elk, antlers down, charging the compound trying to enforce her beliefs on everyone and force the world into the shape she thought it should be. It was selfish, definitely selfish. Kavala had never met a more center focused creature in her life. She knew it wasn't because of her humanness. Kavala knew other humans. They weren't at all like that. The healer wasn't sure why Kashik was.

"I don't take empty compliments well from strangers that obviously have come wanting something they haven't gotten around to admitting yet. You don't know me - not through a few words exchanged over an afternoon - to say garbage like 'I can see that part of you here.' What part? A generic healer? You don't even realize how ridiculously crazy you come off sounding. Or how insulting you are, Kashik. I'd never would go into someone's home and spew off the things you have and still are."
Kavala said, shaking her head. These Brightsmiles - she'd remember the name - because evidently they had issues with boundaries and manners.

Then she issued the worst insult of them all. You've nothing of the grass left in you. It was almost a dagger in her heart and one that gave Kavala pause. "If you are all the Grass offers and the best of the Drykas, then I'm glad there's nothing of it or them left in me. Fair skies and tall grass too you, Kashik. If nothing else, I hope you learn a lesson here and approach other strangers far differently than you've approached me. And as you cross out of the gate, know that there will never be another welcome for you here, so don't bother letting your shadow cross it again." She said firmly, decisively. In Kavala's mind, she'd tried to listen to the woman. But she'd failed to understand her at all. The truth was she'd never felt so bombarded by expectation and false admiration that had no recourse but to not meet the woman's expectation of some built up image of a sister who had in essence died two seasons past.

And as for Vanator... if he ever crossed through the gate himself, he'd have some serious explaining to do as to why he spilled his sister's life story to a complete stranger - a stranger that tried to use that knowledge as a weapon.

The End.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext