[The Sanctuary] Letters and Loved Ones (Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kashik on May 4th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
~Hebrews 13:2

___

34th Day of Spring

Kashik had been in town for two or three days before she finally found out where she could put up Hiloha without having to worry about him being seen to - oh, they had a small stable at the Kulk, but it was made for temporary lodgings, and wouldn't do for the rest of the season.

All she had to do was ask around, though, and she learned of the Sanctuary. The name tugged at something in her memory, but she was a bit exhausted between travel and taking care of Hiloha and jumping straight into training, and couldn't quite recall where she'd heard it before.

She followed the road to the beach as she'd been instructed, glad to be astride Hiloha for even this little while, arms laced over her yvas as she relaxed and guided her Strider with knees and the occasional murmured direction. "You're going to get fat if I don't do something with you," she said in Pavi as she saw the entrance to the Sanctuary and headed towards the gate. "Seriously, your ass is huge." The horse snorted and gave a sudden bucking-twist that made her yelp and clutch at the handles of the yvas, peals of laughter echoing across the yard. "Okay, okay, I deserved that," she giggled, and the Strider snorted and came to a stop in front of the strange, square building and peering around to see exactly where one would go with a horse. "Hello?" she called out in Common.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Words: 136797
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:47 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on May 4th, 2010, 6:09 pm

There were two ways into Sanctuary. It perched far above the beach along the cliffs on the edge of grass fields that overlooked the Suvan. If Kashik came from the city proper, she'd be on the upper levels and the road would take her to the back gates and horse entrance to the facility. If she was riding along the beach from the lower tier port, she'd have to take the wagon road up to the cliffs and that would put her at the front clinic where the healing practice was. The front doors were normally thrown open to take advantage of the incredible breezes that came off the sea to clear out the medicinal smell of the facility inside.

Regardless of which way she approached, a drykas groom would spot her, one with a charming smile by the name of Awsten, and would point her to the horse gate and the inner courtyard that held a riding arena and round pen where a Konti was currently working a young Zavian colt. The groom though, had things to do, so after offering a flirtatious smile to her, he departed and called to Kavala who called a halt to the workout and left the cold to some leisure in the pen.

She walked over, noted the strider and the yvas, then greeted the stranger in perfect Pavi. "Tall grass and fair winds to you. How can we help you?" Even as she smiled at the woman, her eyes gravitated towards the horse, automatically opening her senses to any impressions she might get on how happy he was or how healthy. If horses cared a great deal for their owners, then in general the people were equally interesting. So Kavala waited, willing to help the woman with just about anything she might need.
Last edited by Kavala on May 17th, 2010, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kashik on May 4th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Kashik, being Kashik, gave a merry wink to the groom who'd directed her. She dismounted and opened the gate for Hiloha, who followed quietly behind her despite his earlier attitude.

She might have stared a few moments too long when she spotted Kavala, but then she'd never actually seen a Konti up close before, and when she realized what she was doing she shook herself and laughed a little. The greeting in Pavi, though, made her eyes widen. "And to you, sister," she answered automatically, though there was a bit of bewilderment in her voice. The Konti girl's accent was flawless, and the way her eyes went straight to Hiloha - who was even now contentedly lipping at his rider's curls - suggested that she'd been raised with the Clans. And that... "OH!" she said suddenly, pointing at Kavala and grinning. "Oh! You're Vanator's sister, yes? Kavala! That's where I knew the name Sanctuary from! I have a letter for you," she said, slinging her pack off her shoulders and kneeling down right there in front of her. "He told me to find you, and I'd planned to do it once I got settled and found a place to put up Hiloha - stop that," she hissed as her stallion used her lower vantage point to whuffle into the top of her hair. He ignored her pleas as he usually did, and she suffered through it as she always did, like a girl with an annoying little brother tugging on her sleeve just to do it. Happy and healthy, both, and never more than when he was annoying his rider. "But yes, I kept it with me just in case. Here," she said, digging it out and straightening up to hand it to Kavala with a brilliant smile.

The Strider rolled his eyes and knocked a gentle nose into the small of Kashik's back, and she yelped and blinked. "Oh! Right. Kashik of the Brightsmile Pavilion, Diamond Clan," she said, her smile twisting into something self-deprecating. "Sorry. I get ahead of myself and I never stop talking, so just kick me if I don't shut up," she laughed.

Van's Letter :
Dearest Prodigal Sister-

I can't express the incredible joy I felt when I learned early last season from a woman named Evarette that you were alive and well in Riverfall. My fears were put to rest, though I admit a sadness that you did not come home. But I understand Kav.

I received your letter via Danica only the first days of this season. I wept to hear of your encounter with slavers, and I shall forever be indebted to the Akalak for your rescue. I now have a better understanding of why you remained with them. I am happy to hear you have made a place for yourself there. I am sure you are doing amazing work sister. You have always been an amazing woman.

I am well. I had spent the winter in the grasslands, this season in Endrykas. I have had many adventures, some I am sure you will scold me soundly for even considering. I desire to hear my little sister's advice as well, as I have cast my affections to the wind, and have been blessed with a bountiful harvest!

Kashik, the stunning Drykas woman who should be delivering this letter, is amazing as well. Treat her kindly, for she carries a part of my heart with her.

The family is well, and I have learned that you have spent time with our darling sister. I desire to visit you later this season, early summer at the latest.

Love and Strength,

Vanator

Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on May 17th, 2010, 6:50 pm

There was a lot to take in with Kashik in that moment. Kavala remembered her manners and smiled shyly suddenly. "Kavala Denusk of hte Denusk Pavilion, Sapphire Clan." She blinked then took the letter, surprised that Danica had managed to see her own correspondence through. "I didn't know if he ever got our letter. Akela said she was riding back to the Grass to visit with him personally, and shes been gone. But Danica was riding alone and you know how... that can go sometimes." Kavala said softly, stunned as she held the parchment in her hand. It was almost as if she were afraid to open it. The Konti ran her hands along the paper and across where her name was inked before unfastening it and reading the contents.

Vanator was coming? She blinked again, closing her eyes for a moment, then turning her gaze up to study the newcomer. She was special to him? Kavala hadn't heard that phrase 'holds a piece of my heart' since Tamar had come into their lives and then left just as drastically. Her hands trembled a bit as she refolded the paper and studied the woman with slightly wide eyes. "I'm sorry... I just... you surprised me." She said softly, then stepped closer to offer the woman a tenative smile. "Yes, I'm his sister. Akela, his other one is around here somewhere too. Would you like to put your strider in a stall or perhaps turn him out into a pasture? There's a guest room you can use if you need a place to stay and I'm about to break for a bite to eat. You could join me. I'm sure you have news..... how is he?" She asked suddenly. Half afraid to hear, half wanting to demand news immediately, Kavala stood torn, uncertain what to do.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kashik on May 17th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Kashik shoved her pack back on and looped her arms around Hiloha's head, hugging him a little to quiet his attention, though her fingers scratched at his favorite spot under his chin - which got a grumbling murmur of contentment from the stallion. "Oh, I have a place for now, thank you," she said with another bright grin, "though it's just at the Kulk. Is that it? The Kulk, or the Kook, or something equally harsh on the tongue. I have to admit that I'd prefer a tent over my head than a roof and I'm used to piling in with my family instead of sleeping alone with the noise of a tavern beneath my feet, but it's nice not having to worry about anyone stealing my things or where my next meal's going to come from. But it doesn't really have a stable worth calling it such," she said, freckled nose wrinkling, "so I was hoping you might be able to put him up? I can pay, of course," she added quickly, eyes widening a little, "I'm not looking for charity, but it's just that, well, I was gonna come inspect everything and see what kind of place this is, but if you're really Van's sister then I've nothing to worry about. He worships the ground you walk on, you know," she laughed. "And if he thinks you're worth that, I'm not likely to argue."

She saw the sudden tightness in the woman's face, though, as she asked about her brother, and Kashik - ever one to try and comfort someone in need - quickly released her Strider to reach out and take Kavala's hands in hers. "He is fine," she said quickly, her smile banking into something warming, more reassuring, and there was a confidence in her voice that left no question. "Strong and hale, and his heart is mending. He has friends and family near him. He smiles freely, and often," she murmured - and if she blushed a little at remembering some of those smiles, well, there was more than enough tenderness is her teal eyes to assure Kavala that Van wasn't the only one who'd given her heart in the exchange. "Now, I would be honored to share your bread, sister, and share any stories you might wish. Hiloha, pasture or stall?" she asked, glancing over her shoulder though her fingers remained twined with Kav's. The stallion gave a snort and pointed a nose towards the lush grass of the pasture, and Kashik giggled and turned back to Kav with an impish smile.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 2nd, 2010, 5:14 pm

Image"Hospitality isn't charity. I'm sorry you mistake it for such. Of course your horse can stay. We'll put him in a loose box that opens out into a large run." Kavala said automatically, her mind still roaming backward and far off into the grass. She showed Kashik the stall she meant, and automatically checked water and hay to make sure the horse had something to eat while the horse went straight for the tall grass in the pasture beyond. "He sent you to inspect things?" Kavala blinked, looking angry for a moment, then masking the expression with a blankness to her face that was indeed something her brother would not have recognized in her features before. If what she felt was bad, she refused to feel it.

It was hard talking to the pretty Drykas. It would be harder still to not like her. But Kavala was convinced she wouldn't. It had been too hard liking Tamar, loving her like a sister, and then to have lost her to the curse. Had Vanator even told her about it? Did she know what she was getting into?

She was uncomfortable with the touch. Kavala wanted to be close to those Vanator cared about, but she knew what would happen. Akela could have told her too. Someone should. As soon as it was polite, she pulled her hand free and made use of it for other things. Throwing hay, fastening stall doors, fastening the outside doors so the horse had full access to the lush grassy run and stall with no risk of being inadvertently trapped in one or the other. He was a fine animal too, Kavala noted absently, just like his rider.

"Van always smiles. He always laughs. Even when bad things happened, he always had a smile for everyone trying to lighten their moods, make life easier for them, carry them over the hard times. It was a joke, or a comment at his own expense. I can think of a hundred ways he tries to cheer people up and make their life easier for them. He is an Ankal through and through in that way. But when you really get to know him, you'll see the pain he carries deep inside himself. And the worry. He almost never stops worrying. Ever. And that is when he swings onto Backlash and rides and rides and rides. There's no part of the grasslands he hasn't seen. And yet, I don't think he really knows what hes looking for." Kavala said softly, wishing not for the first time that she had some sort of sight. "I learned a long time ago that I couldn't help him though. No one can. But he deserves to be happy, just like everyone else. There are very good reasons for it too." Kavala said softly.

The Curse.

She hated it, but it was entirely real. The Denusk Pavilion had it on them long before the Konti had touched the lives of people in the Pavilion. She also believed it was there still. Part of it had followed the girls, both of them, separately. Even the daughters of the grasslands, with their pearl pale skin, were not untouched by it. Kavala looked at Kashik and wondered how utterly it would destroy her too.

Vanator should be ashamed of himself.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kashik on June 2nd, 2010, 8:39 pm

Kashik was a little surprised by Kavala's curt responses, completely unused to anyone not immediately being charmed by her - not because she tried to charm them, it was simply something that happened, and something she took for granted. Her eyes widened as she trailed behind the Konti girl. "Oh, no, he didn't send me to inspect anything! I just meant that I'd heard the Sanctuary would be a good place to board Hiloha, and I wanted to be sure that it was truth and not rumor. But knowing a sister of the Sea runs it has assuaged any worries I might have had," she said, offering a brilliant smile.

When the girl began speaking of Vanator, she found herself caught by the almost magical quality of the story. Every word was burned into her memory, and she knew she'd go over them again and again in the dark minutes when she lay down to sleep.

As Kavala finally turned pale eyes on her with something like sorrow in their depths, Kashik automatically reached out to touch light fingertips to her shoulder. "I'm sorry," she whispered softly. "I didn't mean... It wasn't my intention to presume. I'm sorry, I talk to everyone as if I've known them my whole life, I meant no offense," she murmured, and the sincerity of her apology was clear in jewel-bright eyes.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 4th, 2010, 3:40 pm

ImageKavala nodded. "I took no offense." She said gently, unsure of how to react to Kashik. Animals were easier. Their reactions could be judged and weighed instantly in the Konti's mind. People were harder. Beautiful women were worse yet. Kavala could never tell if they were sincere or if they were after her brother's title and rank in the horseclan. In a way, meeting Kavala was easier - perhaps better - for if Akela was here, steel would have already been drawn, the poor woman would have been in a corner already and the questioning would have commenced.

Kavala almost smiled.

"What brings you to Riverfall? Just to bring a letter or was there some other purpose?" She asked curiously as she lead the woman across the courtyard, up a few short brick steps to the veranda and offered her a seat at the table there. It was the communal gathering place of the compounds denizens, and there were already quite a few present. Fresh prints in the soft earth of the courtyard that resembled a fox's delicate prance reminded Kavala that Flick was nearby, probably listening for trouble. A calico cat named Patches had already claimed another wooden seat and was curled up on the cushion in it, digesting a meal she'd no doubt stolen from the one-eyed owl that occupied the rafters beneath the clinic.

Awesten was around, no doubt working on his leatherwork, and there'd be others coming and going in the course of the day. The thought kept Kavala pleasant, put a smile on her face, and caused her to excuse herself only a moment so she could bring bread, cheese and fruit out for the guest to nibble on along with sun baked ice tea. A tray was laid out, along with two mugs of tea, and then Kavala began to put the fixing of a soup together. It gave her something to do with her hands while she spoke with Kashik. For truthfully she was unsure how to act.

And she was unsure of how much to say.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kashik on June 5th, 2010, 5:15 am

Kashik settled into her seat with a grateful sigh, curling one leg beneath her as she reached for a bit of bread. "Oh, I've come for training," she said with warm grin, her friendliness returned just as quickly as it'd dampened now that she was offered food and given free reign to ramble as she liked. "My family is to train in Endrykas at the War Pavilion this summer, and I'm really excited about it," she said, somehow managing to talk and chew at the same time without it being garish. "But the only people I've ever trained with are my brothers, and my father, and my aunts and uncle. And I've been sparring with them since I was, like, six years old. So I figured, hey, I've got an entire season to get myself ready, why don't I go to Riverfall? Everyone's always talking about how the Akalak are such great fighters, and super disciplined. And honestly I need more of that than I do the actual weapons training. I'm a bit... flighty," she laughed, fluttering her fingers as if to demonstrate. "I don't want to do my Pavilion any dishonor when we meet up with the rest of the Clan, so I'm here to train. I've already been accepted at the Kendoka Sasaran," she said, bouncing a little in her excitement at being able to say that. She paused for a sip of tea, eyes widening a little in pleasure. "Oooh, that's very good. Anyway, that's my story. What about you? Do you like it here in Riverfall? How long have you been here? I like it so far, but it always helps to get another transplant's opinion," she laughed, sucking an errant drop of tea from her thumb.

Let Kavala form whatever opinions she would - Kashik was indeed beautiful, but she was also strong, and fierce, a Drykas through to her bones and willing to live her life full to the hilt.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Kavala on June 16th, 2010, 6:41 pm

ImageKavala smiled, softening slightly. "It's a good place to train. The Akalaks are warriors unlike even my family back home. Its frightening, their intensity, at times." Kavala said suddenly, meaning it. From a basket sitting on the edge of the table - for she'd planned soup for the evening meal anyhow, the Konti began pulling various prizes from the garden. A peeler and knife rested on a chopping block on the end of the table. She made good use of them, selecting celery, carrots, and potatoes out of the basket for the soup. Looking around, she decided soon enough they'd have to get a work bench just for food prep out here. So as she peeled and chopped, her mind mulled over the issue at hand, and her heart grew more and more troubled. Kavala continued chopping up the vegetables she was working on, her face growing expressionless and slightly aloof as Kashik made herself comfortable. The Konti had a great deal she wanted to say to Kashik, but she wasn't exactly sure where to begin.

"How much has Vanator told you about our family?"
Kavala said softly. Then she looked up, met Kashik's eyes, and said a little more boldly. "More specifically, has he bothered to tell you about the Curse?" She asked, her knife coming down hard on the chopping block, making her wince. Kavala carefully set it aside, laying it down where it couldn't cut anyone, and looked frankly at the Drykas.

"I mean, the part about every woman they truly love - especially the ones they marry, ending up dead? The ones they don't marry just have horrible things happen to them - things that destroy their lives. Has he told you?"
Kavala said, looking angry for a moment.

"I don't know when it started. I don't think it was with his father though. Perhaps it was his grandfather, because his grandmother's - all three of them - perished. I know life is hard on the Sea of Grass, but occasionally we do have a Drykas that dies of old age. His father lost my mother, who was admittedly the love of his life... a woman he lured to the Sea of Grass because of a plague on the family's horses. She died from a fall off her horse. My mother was a very good rider. And then there's Vanator's first wife, Tamar. She was my best friend. She got killed in a Zith attack. She was too smart to get caught out and ambushed - and she was fierce. But there's no stopping the curse. my sister and I fled it. We fled that whole family, separately. I went to Mura, and she went south. We both were captured by slavers that changed the course of our whole lives. We got off mildly, I think... all things considering. If we'd stayed on the Sea of Grass with that family, we'd be dead by now. I firmly believe that." The Konti said, issuing a little shrug.

"Anyone Vanator touches... gives his heart too... cares about... is going to run into this curse. If it doesn't kill them, it will make their life a misery. He can't help it, nor will he acknowledge it. But until he faces it, finds out why its happening to his family, and why all those he loves are dying... he'll routinely be victim to it. Everyone in all the Grass knows about the Denusk Curse. You should too."
Kavala said firmly, looking distinctly uncomfortable.

She wouldn't like Kashik - no matter how personable she was. She couldn't afford another blow like Tamar's death. Loosing people she cared about was just too hard on her. But the girl had a right to know, certainly, then if she pursued anything, it was not on Kavala's head for remaining silent.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next