Nuits and Possession

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Nuits and Possession

Postby Evalin on September 21st, 2012, 3:37 pm

OK I would like ANY thoughts on this at all. As the title says I am wondering what would happen if a ghost tried to possess a nuit. Nuits are already undead creatures who have taken up a host body for their own, so does that mean it would be like the ghost is walking into someone else's territory and immediately booted out? WOuld there be an internal struggle, and if the ghosts possession skills were low enough the nuit could kick them out herself? Any and all thoughts appreciated please :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Nuits and Possession

Postby Noaru on September 22nd, 2012, 7:44 am

I'll take a shot at this question as I will always try to answer ghost questions!

I wouldn't say that a ghost would be immediately be booted out, its mentioned that a nuit is a body switching creature right? Its life essence along with its soul is transferred into a host body until it decays: that body essentially becomes the nuits! A kind of shell for their soul... Now a ghost can posses anything that has a soul, life essence (Djed) with the exception of the Gods themselves and undead capable of becoming ethereal. A regular nuit facing possession wouldn't be any different from a human or an animals facing spiritual intrusion, they'll notice that ''booting'' wouldn't immediately occur and the spirit especially one that is violent would put up resistance.

Novice Possession Vs Sheer Willpower= Willpower Instant Win!

A weak ghost unfamiliar with possession but is attempting to possess an individual would face some issues with their target... A novice ghost would have to take advantage of its victims mental state and take into consideration just how strong the will of its victim is.
Err... A possession skill I believe lower than 10pts would cause the ghost to loss the internal conflict/struggle and thus fail in its possession, exhausting it and its victim.

Hoped that helped some! :thumbsup:
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Nuits and Possession

Postby Evalin on September 22nd, 2012, 7:04 pm

Thats what I figured, but I wonder if ghosts would find trying to possess a nuit a rather unpleasant experience? After all most nuits are, at their core, completely different from say a human, or any other race for that matter. They are undead like the ghosts, plus most are centuries old as well, so wise and powerful (if crazy). I think that ghosts might find that trying to possess a nuit far more trouble and hassle than they are worth lol.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Nuits and Possession

Postby Noaru on September 22nd, 2012, 8:03 pm

I can say most definitely! I mean a ghost would feel an immediate difference in a nuits body especially since a nuits soul isn't bound to a ''stable'' physical body or spiritual one (coated in soulmist) though, they are worlds apart with ghosts being natural occurrences and older than nuits while nuits are younger than ghosts but are unnatural man-made creations!

A lesser ghost would probably leave the nuits body just because of the odd quality its body and soul has but a competent spirit or higher would immediately notice the unique quality that oddness has and probably would like to cling onto the soul in order to delve into its memories and understand it more or just outright destroy the nuits body, if its that evil ._.

I believe so to! A ghost would definitely not be expecting a body to share a soul almost similar to it and to give it so much trouble.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Nuits and Possession

Postby Verilian on September 25th, 2012, 12:44 am

As a former ghost player, and someone who has possessed a Nuit in thread, here are my thoughts:

First off, I doubt that a Nuit would be any more proficient at expelling a ghost than the living. Expelling a ghost requires skill in Spiritism. At best they could lock their body down, just like a human could.

Now, as far as the experience goes, I can't remember exactly how I played it.. but in the end, I don't think it would be all that much different. In fact, it might even be easier, because the ghost wouldn't have to remember to breathe. But anyway, as far as controling the body, it's more about controlling the astral shell than controlling the body itself. And a nuit still has an astral shell.. so the ghost should still be able to control it. Anyway, these are my thoughts, and how I would play it myself. It would certainly be a different experience, but I don't think it would be any more or less difficult for a ghost.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)