Quest The Bloody Eye

Starring: Ethan, Ignotus Everto, Gale McCenry, Tallis

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Bloody Eye

Postby Arcane on September 24th, 2012, 3:53 am

Day 1, Fall of 512 AV
Late Morning
Juil Waverunner's Office, Wave Guard's Headquarters, Lord of Council's Office, Old Quarters

"As I was saying, Tim, we don't have the resources to do it!" Juil exclaimed in an exasperated manner. The older waveguard was easily identified by his clean-shaven head and spiral-like scar above his right brow as well as his svefran-blue eyes. As one of the more veteran members of the volunteer militia, Juil Waverunner was more or less a permanent fixture at the Waveguard's Office positioned within the grand Old Quarters that housed the magnificent Lord of Council's Office.

"They are our brethren, Juil!" The younger svefran emphasized. He was trying to hide his annoyance as well, but he was obviously toning it down in an attempt to placate and persuade the veteran. "There is no reason why they should disappear like that. Laviku speaks for us, Juil Waverunner, and He has not accounted for their disappearance! The Coastrunners are responsible people, they-"

"The Coastrunners are practically my family pod," Juil's eyes flashed dangerously as he cut the blonde man off before he could insinuate anything else. "But we are no longer just Laviku's Children, Timothy Frothline. We are Wave Guards as well, and by taking up this mantle we have the duty to protect Zeltiva as a whole. We simply do not have the manpower to pursue such an investigation!"

"Go do your job, Tim," He continued, sighing as he shuffled files on his desk. It was evident that he was no longer interested in carrying on this conversation. The blonde fumed as he stormed out of the room, slamming the door open as he did so. "Children these days..." Juil muttered as he shook his head. Yet, he understood the anger. If he had the choice he would have tracked down the people responsible himself. Yet, he had a duty to perform, and failing this duty would put Zeltiva in danger. He could not allow that to happen. He had to look at the bigger picture.

"Next!" He called out, and a tall, yellow-eyed man came into the room. "Shut the door on your way in, will you?"

Rubbing his temple, Juil scrutinized the new waveguard, stating, "Ethan the Kelvic. It's rare to see your kind taking up a responsibility like this, and for that I thank you. We have... a series of disturbing cases that are turning up in our city, and it is quite unprecedented."

Taking a file made of soft wood that held pieces of parchment within, the svefran threw it to the kelvic, fully expecting him to catch it.

"Reported as a homicide. Victim is a human sailor known as David Rolfe, leaves behind a daughter and a wife. The wife was the one who reported the case. Preliminary investigation details would be inside."

Juil leaned forward on his desk, adding softly, "We are understaffed, so this is all you're going to get. In the wake of the djed storm we are still trying to get our footing about, and general security and patrol of the Mirahil Pass and our prized coastline still takes priority. Still, I want something to be done about this before it gets worse and the criminal apprehended. You are free to recruit your own team with in the civilian population if required, the Wave Guard is formed from the civilians after all. Do you have any questions?"
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

The Bloody Eye

Postby Ethan on September 28th, 2012, 5:55 am

Ethan had come at once. Normally he hated the idea of being summoned, but Juil Waverunner was one of the few Wave Guard the Kelvic didn't hate out of principle. He was respectful and humble where others could barely contain their disdain for having a "sub-human" in their midst.

While racism was considered an uncivilized way of thinking amongst the enlightened Zelvitains. That didn't stop the human population from considering themselves the more intelligent form of life. Believing that it was their responsibility to guide and care for the less fortunate races. The arrogance of it all threatened to choke him.

But Juil Waverunner seemed unaffected by the air of superiority surrounding his colleagues. So Ethan waited patiently outside his office and when called, he went in happily. Never expecting what would happen next.

Waverunner wasted no time and got right down to business. There were a string of crimes in the city. And he was assigned to the murder of a sailor. Ethan was given the file on the case as well as command of the investigation. He was permitted to take recruits from the townsfolk if required.

A part of him wondered why he, a rookie with just a season under his belt, was being given such a task. But he didn't bother to question it. If he failed it would be chalked up to his inferiority as a Kelvic. If he succeed it would finally give the skeptics something to chew on.

"No questions sir. I'm honored to be chosen for this task. And I will do my best to uphold the law." Humans always loved this kind of theatrical slop. And Ethan was more than happy to give it, noble smiles and all. With a curt nod he turned on his heels and left.

Since Ethan was naturally suited for long distance scouting. The Wave Guard had normally kept him along the coast. Flying out and scouring the area for anything unusual. So he was completely new to this sort of work. Green as grass and clueless where to start. But that had never stopped him before, and it certainly wouldn't now.

His first decision was to gather recruits. It was true he could do it alone But he hated to underestimate any situation. And wouldn't deny help when it was available. Whenever The Guard needed volunteers they set up in one of the bars or taverns to interview anyone willing to help out. Which is exactly what he planned to do.

The Kelp Bar was his first and only choice. It was falling apart, dimly lit and full of drunk sailors. But it was down to earth. In a city full of pretentious scholars and students. A little grime went a long way.

He walked in, covered head to toe in the dark blue of the Wave Guard and got to work arranging things with the owner. A table was set up, along with the proper materials needed. He thanked them for their generosity and cleared his throat.

It was, as always, smokey and loud within the cramped halls. Ethan called for attention and waited for everyone to quiet down. "Citizens of Zelvita. My name is Ethan and I require assistance for an investigation on behalf of the Wave Guard. If anyone is interested in volunteering please form a line. As always you will be compensated for your assistance." Ethan sat back down, got quill and parchment at the ready and waited.

OOCIf anyone wants me to change anything to let them have a place to enter. let me know >:D
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Bloody Eye

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on September 30th, 2012, 3:17 pm

ImageImageImage

It was fairly odd to the blonde how he always seems to drift to the Kelp Bar while he wondered around. He doesn't usually plan on going but it sort of just happens. One moment he would be in the alleyways, walking around like he did everyday, then the next he was sitting in a chair that wanted to collapse. Though, he couldn't exactly complain now, could he?

Gale lifted his head, breaking the gaze he had with the counter when a man raised his voice to call an announcement. A Waveguard named Ethan was planning an investigation. Gale sighed softly, hoping it wasn't him they were after. But who else would it be? Unless someone else managed to slice another person's throat. Unlikely. What was he going to do now? He couldn't do nothing while they searched for him.

Gale bit the inside of his cheek in thought as he watched people go back to their conversations and saw no one, so far, go up to the Waveguard. Suppose no one wants to get involved with this shyke. Smart people.

Wait- getting involved?

Gale turned to look at Ethan as he had his quill and paper, ready to sign anyone up who wanted to help. Anyone. Despite Gale's attire, he was a pretty good candidate in his opinion. You just had to look beyond the...Shirtless chest and ripped pants. Though, if they looked too deep then that will be a bad day for Gale. He just needed to make sure they kept their distance though.However, Waveguards had to do their jobs, and sometimes that requires a little imagination. He was an artist, Gale sat in the market for a good portion of his day. It wouldn't be hard to sit there and observe people's actions and report any suspicion. And it would be easy for him to find someone to take his place. Everyone's happy. Except the person who, if this all did work out, would be taking his place. And if it wasn't even him they were after then it would only bring positive assumptions if he helped out. It couldn't be too bad. It wasn't the smartest plan but it wasn't terrible either. Better then having none at all.

Gale shrugged to himself and got out of his seat. Hopefully his outfit didn't draw too much suspicion. But he could come up with a decent excuse couldn't he? He would simply say that his shirt had no sides and was extremely dirty. Both true, however, he would leave the dirty part vague. If he asked from what, it was paint and charcoal. But what would he say about the sides?

"So you're doing an investigation, huh?" Gale said as he walked up to the Waveguard. "I apologize for my appearance. I know it's not exactly appropriate, but I hope I can still be of some assistance." The murderer told with an innocent smile.

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

The Bloody Eye

Postby Tallis on October 1st, 2012, 10:34 am

The Kelp Bar wasn’t Tallis’ usual haunt, but he enjoyed sitting down with people who weren’t scholars now and then. There was something soothing about being around people with simple needs, simple desires, simple thoughts, and simple actions. Not that he considered these people simpletons. Quite the contrary. In his opinion, these people had achieved enlightenment. They had found a balance in life that they enjoyed, and what else really mattered? They had it good.

Tallis sat at a long bench-like table with a group of sailors that he had often seen working with his father. They recognized him as well, teasing him by referring to him with the much hated nickname of, “Lissy”. Although they weren’t here to get drunk, a few mugs of Kelp Beer were still passed around and Tallis accepted the foul drink out of politeness. When food came around, the young mage felt a tinge of sadness, watching such strong men eating such measly portions. Zeltiva was recovering, but food was still scarce, especially with trade routes seeing less activity.

The sailors seemed rather unconcerned though as they continued to joke and laugh. It was nice to see that these men could smile through the hardships. Tallis let the banter wash over him and disengaged from the conversations taking place around him. Sinking into his own thoughts, he merely offered a polite nod or smile when prompted. However, his mind was quickly jolted from its stupor by the appearance of a man in blue.

The Wave Guard. They usually operated as a ceremonial presence, a symbol of authority, rather than an actual task force. What did they want here in this unassuming bar? Conversation quickly died and attention was turned towards the tall man. He cut an imposing figure, with his blonde-hair contrasting against his rich blue robes. It was rare to see the Wave Guard in action. But there was something else that peaked Tallis’ interest.

As the breeze shifted in the room, an electric tingle traveled across his back, gathering across his shoulders, and swirling right where he had been marked since birth. Something instinctive told him that Ethan was the same as him. Marked by Zulrav. A Stormwarden. Did Ethan feel the same way? Was there an actual connection, or was he simply imagining things?

Whatever it was, his interest was piqued. Not only by Ethan, but by his request as well. Was Zeltiva so short of hands that the Wave Guard couldn’t find additional help from the regular guard? Were they really reduced to asking for help from common citizens? Whatever the case, Tallis was sure that his rather unique set of skills could come in handy.

Passing off his mug of Kelp Beer to one of the sailors sitting beside him, Tallis excused himself from the table without much hassle. Standing patiently behind a rather ragtag figure in some of the worst clothing he had ever seen, the young mage waited patiently for his turn to speak to Ethan the Wave Guard. On his first day back in Zeltiva, an opportunity for action had already presented itself.

“This city never ceases to amaze me.”

Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Bloody Eye

Postby Ignotus Everto on October 3rd, 2012, 3:25 am

Ignotus was on edge. The date for his departure was drawing close, and he still didn't know half of what he had hoped to learn. This wasn't going too well. So naturally, he went somewhere that was full of idiots to take his anger out on. What he hadn't expected, was a small detective's club being set up in front of his face.

"Citizens of Zelvita. My name is Ethan and I require assistance for an investigation on behalf of the Wave Guard. If anyone is interested in volunteering please form a line. As always you will be compensated for your assistance."

Thoughts that were already tinted dark immediately turned to the last little bit of fun he had. He himself was covered, but Gale wasn't. It wasn't that he cared for the boy's well-being. He just didn't want to lose a potentially precious asset to him. Of course, Wrenmae could have also set something up. That would have been just delightful. But then, if he wanted Ignotus dead, he could have just up and done it. He certainly hadn't shown qualms about violence before.

With a weary sigh, the wizard stepped beside Gale to join the makeshift investigation. If nothing else, he would get a pleasant reward, and his arse covered. "What's the investigation about?" he asked Ethan with a twitch of his eyebrow.

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

The Bloody Eye

Postby Ethan on October 9th, 2012, 6:56 am

Ethan looked up at the three volunteers, a polite smile etched onto his mouth. He was less than pleased. None of them looked suitable and one of them was hardly dressed. But if that was all that would answer his call, and no one seemed to be following suite, then he would have to use what he could and cut out the rot.

He stood and addressed each in turn. "As long as you have proper clothing once you start, it's fine. And details of the case will not be discussed until you are officially taken on. As is the case with any official business." He wanted to retch, ever since he took the job he reminded himself more and more of the puffed up Knights in Syliras.

"If you could please take a seat over there. I'd like to interview you one at a time." He sat down and introduced himself more thoroughly to each person as he called them up.

The talks went relatively smoothly. One by one he would ask a series of questions. Simple things mostly, such as their ability to read or any crimes they were convicted of. Standard and basic, but the real information came from Ethan's own knowledge of Auristics.

He would give a short question, and while they elaborated he would open up his senses and peek inside. Nothing too invasive, he didn't care enough to get a full sense of the person but a general taste was required. None of them were dim witted or otherwise mentally impaired. It was nearly impossible to pin point a mental disease by using Auristics alone. But there was a certain flavor to the person's spirit that couldn't be ignored.

Tallis, upon closer examination, was the most promising. He had the mannerisms and smarts of an University man, with a lot less arrogance. He reminded him of Hadrian, the mage that took him in and was teaching him everything he needed to know of magic. Perhaps there was a slight bias because of the resemblance.

Gale and Ignotus on the other hand were something else entirely. Gale was off, not dim, just off. Ethan simply didn't know what he was sensing. Whatever it was he hadn't come across that range of emotion or perhaps, perversion, before. But whatever it was, it sent shivers down his spine. And Ignotus wasn't even human.

Ethan stared at the Nuit with intense curiosity. It didn't take him long to notice the complete lack of an Aura. He had heard much about the race of undead from his Teacher. But he had never had the chance to come across one before. He said nothing, nor hinted at knowing. As a Kelvic he knew what it was like to be hated and feared because of your nature. But he was... concerned about his intent. Why would an immortal such as Ignotus want to help with this investigation?

Whatever his intentions, Ethan wasn't in a position to be picky and accepted all three applicants. Telling them to meet him tomorrow at the same location on the eighth bell. He made special note to remind them that they had to be properly clothed if they were going to represent the Wave Guard. Waiting for any other volunteers. He stayed at his little impromptu booth for another couple of hours, thumbing through the file he'd been given...

OOCSorry for the delay. Didn't know how to set this one up. As you can see, i left the interview's vague. Gave you a general idea of the questions. Feel free to do whatever you want with it >:D

Ignotus, I wasn't exactly sure about the soul of a nuit and if you could sense it with Auristics. So I kinda winged it. If you know otherwise I will be happy to change it.

Arcane, I left it where it was to give you an opportunity to write about the details of the case if want. Thought it might be a good point to give an opening. If not, totally coolio.

P.S. this should of been posted on the 7th but my computer wacked out before i could.
Ethan
"If you need help, look up"

Words: 286041
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2011, 9:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Bloody Eye

Postby Ignotus Everto on October 24th, 2012, 12:36 am

It was a tense interview. Ignotus had spoken with an Aurist before without compromising himself, and he didn't know the man across him had any sort of magic, or even that he was a Kelvic, but it was still a little nerve-wracking. After all, there was the chance he wouldn't be allowed on for whatever reason.

Fortunately, it seemed that Ethan was either gullible or desperate, as even Gale managed to get on. Ignotus had to hand it to him, the scrawny little painter was turning out to be quite valuable indeed. Once the team was finally assembled, the wizard would repeat his previous question.
"So, what exactly are we investigating again?"

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

The Bloody Eye

Postby Tallis on October 25th, 2012, 11:26 am

Judging from Ethan’s reaction, the interview had gone quite well for the young mage. Ethan had spoken to him in a rather familiar fashion and Tallis responded with the same warmth. There was a sense of mutual respect between them and Tallis looked forward to the two of them working together.

He did however have doubts about the two other candidates who had volunteered. They both seemed rather unusual for the job. First in line was the man with the dirty ripped shirt without sides. If the man couldn’t even dress himself properly, how could he be expected to help in an organized investigation?

And the man who had lined up behind him, wasn’t he a little old for the job? He appeared to be in his late fifties and it looked like he had fallen on hard times. As evidenced by his relatively large girth, it was clear that the man had been wealthy at one point in his life. Now he had a sallow complexion and his once round face was slowly being swallowed by hollowing cheeks.

Whatever the case, Tallis chose to trust Ethan’s judgement. There was something about the way the Waveguard spoke - a certain simplicity and honesty – that Tallis was willing to put his faith in. Besides that, Tallis believed in keeping a skeptical eye and an open mind. Although the men seemed unfit for the job, he would allow them to prove their worth in time. Perhaps they had unique skills that would be helpful for the job. After all, he himself was a perfect example of there being more than meets the eye.

~*~

Tallis was back at the Kelp Bar precisely on the eighth bell. Perhaps it was the exhaustion from his trip back from Syliras, but he had gotten a sound night’s sleep despite his excitement. Refreshed and rested, he was ready to sink his teeth into the investigation and get going.

When the rest of the team arrived, it was apparent that the old man was feeling the exact same eagerness. Prompting Ethan to explain the contents of the investigation, Ignotus inquired, “So, what exactly are we investigating again?”

“Before Ethan divulges that information, perhaps we should first acquaint ourselves if we are to be a team for the following few days?”

Tallis admired the old man’s drive, but he felt that there were other priorities to deal with first. Heading off the introductions, he gave his brief introduction:

“My name is Tallis. I volunteered as a concerned citizen. I would prefer using my analytical abilities for this investigation, but if confrontation becomes necessary, I am trained in the arcane arts.”

noteSorry, Ignotus! Tallis knows it’s rude to interrupt his elders, but Arcane wants us to introduce ourselves first, so I sort of steered away for a moment. Sorry!

Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Bloody Eye

Postby Arcane on October 30th, 2012, 5:15 am

Before Ethan closed up his booth for the day, he would find a tattered note on his table with the following scrawled words.

I think I may have the information you want. Perhaps we may reach an agreement on the 10th Bell at Dicey's Drinks tomorrow.

Dicey's Drinks was, of course, situated in East Street. It was one of the many run-down establishments there, though it made it's niche by offering interesting, dice-related gambling games and beverages. By 'beverage', it was mostly reverse-engineered kelp beer with a lot more seawater in it than it should have, and - for the loyal customers - an under-the-table offering of prized alcohol.

~.-*-.~

The group soon gathered back in the same place by the 8th bell the next day. Perhaps it was the time to properly introduce themselves to each other. Ethan of course, should be wanting to brief them exactly what was happening, and to organize the team based on what abilities they had - which he should have asked earlier, if not then now.

What would be their next course of action?
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

The Bloody Eye

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on November 3rd, 2012, 4:50 am

ImageImageImage

You couldn't exactly expect anything less than uncomfortable or awkward when you sat in Gale's chair. Talking to a Waveguard about how you've been with the law and such wasn't exactly an easy thing to do. Gale attempted to be as honest as possible, never being one to lie often, but it was difficult to do so with his position. He wasn't exactly the best liar in the world and he could easily slip up and get himself into a heap of trouble if he wasn’t careful. Better to be as safe as possible then sorry, in his opinion. But just because it was strange didn't mean that Gale didn't try to act normal while being interviewed. Giving his partial honest answers the way he would if the interview was about something else. He never was really comfortable with interviews in the first place but it was a natural thing, wasn't it? To be nervous?

The murderer relaxing quite a bit after he was accepted somehow. It was a strange miracle that he got accepted, he shouldn’t argue though. At least now he is involved and can start gaining trust. After all, having someone’s trust is one of the best ways to keep out of their suspicion. He wasn’t going to use it for anything else, of course. He wasn’t on planning on doing anything of the sort again anytime soon. Not like he could use it again anyway if he managed to get it in the first place. This whole thing was a huge risk, but so was not doing it.

After being told a second time to have appropriate attire and being dismissed, Gale chuckled and went to go get a shirt. He had some time now, better get a shirt and maybe some new pants before he got busy again for some reason or another.

With a huff, Gale searched for a vender over in the market. It didn’t take terribly long to buy a dark green cotton shirt and black cotton pants. Wasn’t the best outfit in his eyes but it was better than no shirt and his bedraggled brown pants.

Returning to the Kelp Bar the next day, on the- was the eight or seventh? The Eight bell? He thought so, so without further ado he skipped his morning walk and went down to his destination. Seeing that Ethan was there along with the stranger and…Mr. Fabulous, Gale walked up to the group, brushing his blonde hair behind his ear. The artist waited till after Tallis’ introduction then gave his own name.

“McCenry. Gale McCenry. I’m also a concerned citizen.”
It was probably a bad idea to give out his real name, in case they figured it was him. But if they found out it wouldn’t really matter much anyway. Gale would still be toast. “I know my way around the city and figured I can be some help to my home town in one way or another. Though I think the best assistance I can offer is help gather information, unless of course I’m needed for further support.”

Gale didn’t give the Nuit a glance as he spoke. He hoped to have as little interaction with him as possible. Mainly because he knew what had really happened and Gale was still pretty pissed at himself and Ignotus about it.

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Next